Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)

Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown #4)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,630 ratings  ·  47 reviews

Leroy Brown, aka Encyclopedia Brown, is Idaville neighborhood's ten-year-old star detective. With an uncanny knack for trivia, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve his most baffling crim

Published September 1st 1982 by Yearling (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man

The Encyclopedia Brown series never disappoints me. It is clever and Encyclopedia is so likable and funny.

As always, Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man has 10 short stories with cases to solve. Out of these, I think I solved 7 or 8 of them. A couple were really easy if you had been paying attention, but some were pretty tough!

I think my favorite story was The Case of the Murder Man. It was different than the rest since it was about a play written by Encyclopedia instead of a case he had to solve.

Alex Ristea
My last Encyclopedia Brown, and that's OK with me since the appeal is wearing off. The cases aren't quite as fun anymore, and they're becoming more and more of a stretch. It's almost turning into a machine where it's so easy to pump out new cases, which works great for the author and I'm sure many kids (younger me included).

Shelving this to the "happy childhood memories I don't wait to ruin, so I'll leave them alone."

(PS I only solved like three of the cases in this one. I swear I'm not bitter s
Timothy McNeil
Sobol doesn't make any glaring errors in this edition (at least none that I spotted), but he has more than one problem with the final mystery.

(view spoiler)
I thought this was better than #3, but not quite as good as #1 or #2. There was significantly less racism/bigotry in this one (yes, I know, they were written in the 1960's, things were different) and there were more puzzle-type mysteries rather than mysteries that required knowledge of obscure facts.

My favorite in this one was the mystery that Encyclopedia came up with to help his friend write the play. The change of approach was fun and refreshing.
this is a very good book because it's interesting to me how this kid about 10 years old solves all these cases with the smallest mistakes. his dad is a policeman and the kid Leroy also called encyclopedia solves half of his cases. as i have been reading these books I've actually began to figure out some cases every once in a while.
Sheri Struk
Idaville, Florida must really be an interesting town with all the crime that goes on there! Once again, Encyclopedia Brown is faced with all kinds of interesting cases to figure out. Somehow, the local police department, run by Encyclopedia's father, can't solve the crimes without the help of a ten year old boy. Encyclopedia also helps on cases presented to him by members of the community. In this book, he must pay attention to such details as whether someone has blueberry stains on his teeth af ...more
This is another one of those books I remember reading from the '70s. I think I went through all of the books in the library.

I just noticed something in the front of the book which I haven't seen before.

Do you have a wacky story to tell about an animal, a fact, a crime, a sport? The funnier and wackier the better! But it must be true.

You can write about it, or enclose a clipping from your local newspaper, or send a note from your parents or teacher verifying the story. If it is included
This was one of the later mysteries where the series took a dark turn and Encyclopedia has to figure out who killed Sally Kimball's baby. [Spoiler alert: In a shocking twist at the end, it turns out that Sally had an abortion.]
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
There was a bit of longing when I read this book. Encyclopedia's father was so patient and caring with him. He helped Encyclopedia learn without hitting him or calling him stupid. I wish I had a father like Encycopedia's.
Another fun series of 'cases' that the young sleuth attacks. Let me tell you that the mystery with the coffee smoker was shocking to me as a mother with children because it is just taken as normal that the youngsters in this story will smoke tobacco or coffee?! Wow that really dated the story. I haven't been as shocked since reading the From Russia With Love and Mr. Bond drinks strong liquors before driving out anywhere... yup, drinking and then driving and it is totally normal in the story.
We h
it was awesome it was going to be the book i read for school but it made me read the hole set
Nov 18, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading mysteries
This is another fun edition of short mysteries in the Encyclopedia Brown series of books by Donald J. Sobol. It's a nostalgic read for me and entertaining for our girls.

We are very slowly making our way through this series. We waited more almost two years after reading books 1 and 2 in this series and almost two more years after reading book 3. But now that our girls are older, they are huge fans.

We read all of the stories over the course of a couple of evenings and our girls were fascinated by
Although I had heard of Encyclopedia Brown growing up, I had never read one of the books. After reading this book, I was disappointed to have not read it sooner. It was such a fun read and kept me wanting to know more. I liked how to stopped once the story was over so the reader could see if they could figure out the villain. This is great to introduce when students are learning about details. They must watch out for small details to figure out the case.
Reread Warcry by Elizabeth Vaughan
This is a placeholder, or rather a place counter, since stupid GoodReads does not allow one to count re-read books towards one's total book read count for the year.
Stupid Goodreads *grumble, grumble*
Calvin  Kwon
I like the book so much that I dont' know what to say. The series is about a boy detective and at the end of every book, there is an answer to the mystery. There are many mysteries in one book. Encyclopedia Brown's real name is Leroy and he's 11 years old and his dad Chief Brown is the best police officer in Idaville where he lives.
Silver De
What did you think of this book? Why did you give it a rating of 2?

The book was very boring except for the three stories i've listed the case of the broken vase, murder man, the case of blue berry pie.
Encyclopedia Brown was one of my first crushes as a little girl. Seems like brainy guys appealed to me then as well as now. So much fun to go back and revisit this old friend.

Leroy Brown, aka Encyclopedia Brown, is Idaville neighborhood’s ten-year-old star detective. With an uncanny knack for trivia, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve his most baffling crimes. And with ten confounding mysteries in each book, not only does Encyclopedia have a chance to solve them, but the reader i

More of the same. Mildly entertaining for a young child.
Brock Boland
read a few of these in middle school and liked them!
The Styling Librarian
Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man by Donald J. Sobol - Mystery, 3rd grade and up – Just finished this 4th book in the series. Still love them. Still enjoy solving the mysteries with my kiddo. I was a bit thrown when I heard that there are talks about turning Encyclopedia Brown into a movie. I never watched the HBO adaptation of the series, not so sure I’m excited about a movie… but I bet my kiddo will be!
I've read this book before; I'm not sure how many times. I hadn't planned on rereading it all now, but it was hard to stop.

I was surprised by how many times I remembered the critical clue before I reread it. The only story where I didn't remember the critical clue at all was the ninth, "The Case of the Murder Man"; for that one, I actually reread it, trying to figure it out. I'm not sure whether I did figure it out, or whether reading it twice reminded me.

(Finished 2008-07-31 17:22 EDT.)
Jackie B. Forman
Okay, I've read two books. I think I'm done, This just isn't a series for me.
Encyclopeida loves to help right wrongs. He helps adults as well as the neigborhood kids solve mysteries. These short cases are short enough to keep a second grader's interest, but include enough clues that children can process the information and find the bad guy just like Encyclopedia.
The third book in the "re-reads with my Dad".

This one provided a lot of entertainment, as once again the "solutions" really didn't solve anything. I'm really having a lot of fun reading these and laughing over them.

3 stars for nostalgia's sake.
Rachel Malcolm
I love these books.
I don't know, just about mysteries. My favorite mystery I think this is in book three but I can't remember. There was a pie eating race and someone had to eat 2 pies and there were twins.
My kids really enjoyed me reading these to them. I love reading to my kids, and these books really got them into the story and figuring out the mystery.
Both kids are still really enjoying these books--it's fun to read them to them. We skipped #3, but are going back to that one cause they like them so much.
Encyclopedia Brown has a knack for solving crimes. These are quick reads, interesting mysteries and probably good for young kids to read.
  • The Return of the Great Brain (#6)
  • A Thief at the National Zoo (Capital Mysteries #9)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Artsy-Fartsy
  • Meet George Washington
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • The Legend of Annie Murphy (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #7)
  • The Case of the Mummy Mystery (Jigsaw Jones, #6)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)