Start by marking “A Fine Specimen” as Want to Read:
A Fine Specimen

A Fine Specimen

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  993 ratings  ·  46 reviews

Lieutenant Alex Cruz eats, sleeps and breathes law enforcement. He’s tough and brusque, and cops and criminals alike tremble before him. And that’s the way he likes it. Until he meets Caitlin Summers—and decides he wants her trembling beneath him.

The beautiful scholar is doing dissertation research in his cop shop, and seriously messing with his head. His self-imposed sex

Published November 9th 2009 by Ellora's Cave (first published March 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Specimen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Specimen

Auntee
Mar 13, 2010 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the author; Fans of hot romance
Loved it. What else can I say, I'm a big fan of Lisa Marie Rice and her uber alpha heroes, and she almost never lets me down. From what I've heard, this book is a re-working of the book "Taming Nick", and I can imagine what must have been "re-worked". I'm sure the language was spiced up (lots of "f" words and more), sex scenes more vividly and graphically described, and generally what must have been a PG rated book was turned into an R rated (and at times NC-17) book. But what can I say, I knew ...more
Dina
I love LMR's heroes and Alex Cruz is no exception. :)

This book was lighter and funnier than I was expecting, with Caitlin's clumsiness a source of constant teasing by Alex, and it had all the markings of a romantic comedy. But being a LMR book, it had to have some gun fighting at the end - not a big one, but climatic enough to make Alex realize his feelings for Caitlin.

I really liked this book and will keep LMR as one of my auto-buy authors, but I'm beginning to wonder if she'll ever reach as hi
Julie (jjmachshev)
Can Lisa Marie Rice write a bad book? I don't think so. All I know is her heroes make me tingle in the most delicious way! "A Fine Specimen" is her latest e-book. It's an expanded version of her 2000 Zebra book "Taming Nick" under the name Elizabeth Jennings and it's guaranteed to raise your blood pressure in the best way.

Caitlin is a grad student working on her dissertation in law enforcement psychology. Her last project is a hands-on study and when her favorite instructor sets her up in his ol
Kathrynn
Loved it! Lisa Marie Rice/Elizabeth Jennings is one of my favorite authors. Her style, her stories, her characters just do "it" for me. This was no different. A quick read with no slow parts. Not really a suspense, but more of a contemporary, albeit, very hot, romance set in southern California around a police station. Alex was the lieutenant (promoted to captain) and Caitlin was there to finalize her dissertation on law (alpha males) by using his squadron (him) for research.

Alex was glued to h
Kathleen
I was only 29 pages into this book and thought WTF! There where so many similarities between the H&H's from this book and from Ports Of Paradise that I was thinking maybe it was not such a good idea that I read these two book's back to back. As I read on, this story grabbed a hold of me and tugged me into it. I felt the love scenes in this book not quite as good as the love scenes in Ports Of Paradise but needless to say they where still smoking HOT. While on the other hand, for me the story ...more
Jane Stewart
It felt thrown together. I didn’t enjoy it. It needed better plot and character development.

STORY BRIEF:
While Captain Avery is on vacation, Lieutenant Alex Cruz is in charge at the police station. Caitlin is a Ph.D. doing research. Avery sends a message to Alex requiring him to assist Caitlin and to let her interview and observe police officers for a week. Alex hates it, but he grudgingly allows it. He takes her to lunch. They begin to fall for each other.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I don’t recommend it.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Cute little story. Alex is definitely the uber alpha type and Caitlin is a bit of a klutz. It was interesting to see the big bad cop turning into a lovesick fool. lol.
Maldivianbookreviewer
4 Stars Yowzastic Goodness!

Apart from the cover of this book which I just loathe, I loved every single thing about this very hot and well done novel by Lisa Marie Rice. Previously released and entitled as "Taming Nick", A Fine Specimen tells the story of how Alex, the lieutenant at Baylorville PD falls like a ton of bricks for the sweet, sexy and beautiful Caitlin Summers.

38 year old Alejandro Cruz (Alex) lives and breathes police procedure. Alex had grown up in one of the poorest ares of Bayl
Rinou
The main couple is typical LMR's characters, the sex scenes are steamy and well written, but there are too many very long inner thoughts, and the reader is left waiting for the story to go on.
And most of all, have Alex and Caitlin ever heard about that thing called communication? Instead of assuming what the other one wants or feels, they should have talked a little, that would have saved them some heartache and me some frustration. But no, it's better to just say nothing and wait for the other
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
A 3.5 to 4 star read.

Lieutenant Alex Cruz eats, sleeps and breathes law enforcement.

They loved him. They hated him. They respected him. And they all deeply, deeply wanted him to get a life so he would get off their backs......
"Guy's a genius at anticipating a criminal's next move, it's like he's got a sixth sense for it. And with all that, for all his smarts, he doesn't have a clue about emotions or feelings. Not his or anyone else's. Not a clue"

Caitlin Summers is doing dissertation research
Carey Sabala
I normally like LMR but this one bored me to tears. I love contemporary romance and love cops/detectives but this one had my eyes rolling. The descriptions of the hero got a bit lengthy - yes we get he's an alpha male but comparing him to a wolf pack and constantly talking about he's the king of the pile was a bit much. Almost like the reader didn't know what an alpha male is. Then we get into her internal dialog which was also a bit much. She was always talking and comparing and putting herself ...more
Oleta Blaylock
This is the second police officer story that Ms. Rice has written. As with the first Alejandro "Alex" Cruz doesn't have any military experience but he would have made a wonderful officer and probably would have been in one of the special forces. Alex kind of reminds me of Leroy Jethro Gibbs. He has that all work no nonsense that Gibbs. Alex has a look and Gibbs has the head slap. He is all alpha male and caring leader. It was so much fun watching him fall into love with Caitlin.

Caitlin Summers i
HєllyBєlly
Needed a LMR-fix, but this just wasn't as satisfying as many other books I read - Woman on the Run my first and favourite.

The main characters in A Fine Specimen basically have the same traits as all LMR's H/h - him über-alpha, constantly gagging for her. She is innocent and lovely, but responds to him physically like nevah evah.

Her klutziness (constantly dropping food into his lap) was taken a little bit too far.

And what I really disliked about this book was a scene at the hotel where the heroin
IkeaGoddess
Hottest LMR book I've read so far. And there wasn't just one sex scene either - yay! The best part however was the heroine, who as a true sociologist observes and mentally comments her surroundings. She is hilarious. The book may not be as full of suspense as other LMR novels, but since she filled all that space with sizzling sex scenes, I was more than fine with that.
Emily
Lieutenant Alex Cruz sole focus is his job, every waking moment he spends solving cases and trying to bring a local crime figure. The last thing he needs, now that a snitch is in his grasp, is a young woman who is planning her dissertation and needs tiem in the cop shop doing research. From the first moment he sees Caitlin Summers he has an itch that needs scratched, she is bright, beautiful, and clumsy. Not one to mince words, Alex decides the best way to show her how he feels is in bed, or the ...more
gert
i was under the impression this book fell under 'romantic suspense'. it doesn't. i'd describe it more as 'contemporary romance', and not that great of one, at that.

no suspense. the fact the hero is a cop creates the backdrop, but provides no tension.

good sex scenes with one BIG caveat: i really, really hate the word c*nt. and its used liberally. don't mind c*ck, also used often - but the former just rubs me the wrong way. and am surprised a female author uses it so casually.

lastly, this book i
Kathy
3.5 Stars

I'm a fan of Lisa Marie Rice, but this one wasn't that great. There was too much inner dialogue which really detracted from the story. Surprisingly boring.
Anna
The cover is sleazy but the book was not. This was a very cute and erotic love story. I'm quickly devouring all of Lisa Marie Rice's books! I didn't like how Alex described Caitlin as looking 12 in some parts of the book. The bit at the end where the criminal was allowed to have his handcuffs removed at the police station was over the top too. But, other than those two things, I thought this was a great read. It wasn't boring and didn't drag at all for me. Lisa Marie Rice really really knows how ...more
Michelle
One thing Lisa Marie Rice does so well is write alpha male heroes. Alejandro (Alex) Cruz was exactly that: dominant, bossy, arrogant, protective and sexy as hell. All that aside, nothing really happened in this book. He and Caitlyn were thrown together and there was no real romance, no real emotion (except for Cait), just attraction and hot sex, and then immediately he doesn't want her to leave. Considering I've loved other LMR books, this one was a disappointment.
Deborah Camp
This was fun and a quick read. I liked the characters, although they were a bit cliched. The hero's point of view was well done. It's a tale of "opposites attract" and has a police station setting. Alex, the hero, was a man of few words. I would have enjoyed knowing more about him and more about the heroine.
Victoria

I feel so lucky to have spent my day with Lisa Marie Rice! Seriously love her contemporary romances, there's almost a vintage feel to them. The first 25% of the story did drag a bit, there was a lot of internal monologue but it did pick up after that. My only disappointment now is that I think I've read all LMR's books. Always a terrible feeling when we reach the end of a favorite author's book list. I guess that's what re-reads are for!
Raine
After the initial boring parts of the beginning of the book the last parts made me glad that I finally decided to finally finish it instead of put it in my 'did not finish' shelf. (view spoiler)
Andrea
Disappointed! First part of the book read well. I like how he fell for her, the details about her that were appealing to him. The second half was appalling. He turned into an obnoxious, premature ejaculating shit. And she let him! Urgh. If you're after a book where the hero knows who he wants and never let's go, it isn't this.
Crystal
There were some seriously laugh out loud moments in here, like when she ordered his lunch, or dropped the knife while he was kissing her. OTOH, man, how clueless can a guy be? If you don't tell her to stay, how is she supposed to know that's what you want?

D'oh.

Still entertaining.
Dana
I really love Lisa Marie Rice's books! this one was a little tough for me, I found it to have a little too much internal dialog and not enough communication between the characters. Overall though I did enjoy this story, no one can write a alpha male like Lisa!
R. C.
For the most part, I thought this book was pretty boring. The H and h seemed kind of thrown together with no depth to their relationship. It has the normal L.M. Rice hotness, but this is definitely my least favorite of all her books that I've read.
Jen
Now this is LMR at her best. Sizzling chemistry in spades! I thought there was a bit too much monologue and exposition at times that kind of stilted narrative flow, but the romance and heat was paramount throughout.
Auntee
Just got the print edition, and it has 224 pages, not 332 pages as the EC website advertises.:( I'm still hoping that means there's some additional scenes...
Natalie
Normally I love books by Ms. Rice, but I can't stand the hero in this one. I see no redeeming qualities in him and I can't even finish it. On to the next one...
  • Shadows at Midnight
  • Grace Under Pressure
  • Witness Seduction
  • Flash Point  (Holding Out For a Hero, #3)
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • A Very Sinful Valentine
  • Man Trouble
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Shaken
  • Cullen's Bride (March Madness) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #914)
  • Something to Talk about
  • Secrets: The Best in Women's Romantic Erotica Vol. 9
  • Hot in Here
  • Now You See Him...
  • Rude Awakening
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Heart Signs
  • The Best Man
Midnight Man (Midnight, #1) Into the Crossfire (Protectors, #1) Dangerous Lover (Dangerous, #1) Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3) Nightfire (Protectors, #3)