Start by marking “Double for Death (Crime Line)” as Want to Read:
Double for Death (Crime Line)

Double for Death (Tecumseh Fox #1)

Tecumseh Fox thinks that he is seeing double when financier Ridley Thorpe is shot twice, two gorgeous suspects appear, two very good motives are revealed, and two murder weapons surface.
Published (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Double for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double for Death

Tony
DOUBLE FOR DEATH. (1939). Rex Stout. **1/2.
This was not an episode in the Nero Wolfe series by Mr. Stout, instead it was a mystery featuring his alternative hero, Tecumseh Fox. There weren’t very many of them, so we can be thankful for small favors. Fox was, essentially, a cardboard cutout of a detective that leaned towards the tough guy school. I suspect that Mr. Stout was looking at his competition and the sales figures for their books, and wanted to be in the show. The title of this book give
Shireen
Mar 03, 2011 Shireen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, canadian, 2011
I borrowed Double for Death eBook from the Toronto Public Library, virtual branch, thinking it was a Nero Wolfe mystery, not knowing Rex Stout had written another series starring a different kind of detective called "Tecumseh Fox." A bit of a surprise when I read the Introduction and discovered not Nero Wolfe. But I had been looking for a new series to try, so this was rather serendipitous!

The first big diff between a Fox mystery and a Wolfe one was point of view (POV): it's third person whereas
Wade Grassman
May 29, 2011 Wade Grassman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am an unadulterated fan of Nero Wolfe and therefore Rex Stout, or perhaps the reverse is true.  Double for Death is the third non-Wolfe novel of Stouts that I’ve read and I fully enjoyed it.  The detective of the story is Tecumseh Fox (Stout wrote three Fox     novels the others are Bad for Business and The Broken Vase).  Comparing Tec to Nero and Archie is foolish, as he is neither.  Tec moves in the world, unlike Nero and, unlike Archie, he is the brains of the operation.

The most importan
Michael Brown
Rex Stout had many different characters throughout his career. Some had one shot appearances and some had several. Only Nero Wolfe lasted the longest. But Tecumseh Fox had three. Stout liked the first appearance and always considered it an excellent detective tale with all the right pieces. While I enjoyed the book it was a big of a slow plot to follow the twists and turns. One of Fox's associates is an idiot and his actions/inactions almost led to the wrong people getting arrested. But still a ...more
Karen Wyle
Apr 29, 2016 Karen Wyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books and was glad to learn that he wrote a small number of mysteries with a different detective. Tecumseh Fox is an intriguing character, and his rag-tag retinue adds further interest. There were a few more characters in the story than I could readily keep track of, but I enjoyed the various clues and twists. (The plot involves a stand-in for a celebrity, which apparently appeals to the same aspect of my personality that makes me fascinated by twins and ...more
Niffer
Feb 03, 2016 Niffer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ebook
While I really enjoy the Nero Wolfe books, and I can understand why Rex Stout eventually stuck with that series over the Tecumseh Fox one, I do wish there had been more Tecumseh Fox stories.

This is a nice little mystery, with a decent twist to it. There's a lot of background stuff going on to hint at other story lines from Tecumseh Fox that never really come to fruition.

Overall, this was a satisfying read, although sad when I realize there won't be more of them.
Susan
When a millionaire businessman is killed in his remote getaway cottage, Andy Grant becomes the main suspect. His niece Nancy enlists famed, and eccentric, detective Tecumseh Fox to find the real murderer. Fox is not quite as quirky as Stout's more famous detective Nero Wolfe, but he also delights in confounding and confusing the local police and district attorney, which is all the easier when the dead man comes back to life.
Kimberly
This is my first Rex Stout book, and it was a great mystery. Fast-paced, easy read but with lots of twists and turns. You can just imagine one of those great old B&W movies with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn playing all these great zany characters. I don't think my local library has the other Tecumseh Fox books so I may need to try some of the Nero Wolfe books instead.
Adam Graham
Tecumseh Fox is an interesting character and the story starts off strong enough before getting hopelessly bogged down in the tiresome questioning of the official police and then more or less fizzles out.
Jo
Apr 27, 2016 Jo rated it it was amazing
Worth Reading

I agree with Rex Stout, that technically, this is the best detective novel he wrote. Though not as flamboyant as Nero Wolfe, Tecumseh Fox has his own intrigues.
Patty
Jun 06, 2010 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about a Rex Stout book is the sparseness of his prose. He tells a great story in only a couple hundred pages. Short, sweet and action-packed!
Ronald
Feb 21, 2016 Ronald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read SOMETIME in 2001
Josh
Nov 04, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Having read a number of Stout's Nero Wolfe series, my wife and I enjoyed this new character, Tecumseh Fox. Wolfe is still our favorite, though...
Andrea
A very different detective for Rex Stout, Mr Fox almost appears to drift through chaos. Overall an entertaining tale, with a more explicitly romantic thread than the Wolfe stories.
Lynne
Jan 13, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my favorite genre--the detective ala Sam Spade. But the story/plot got me hooked. It moved quickly and was enjoyable. The murderer was a surprise.
Rickeclectic
Dec 09, 2008 Rickeclectic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diehard Rex Stout fans
Tecumseh Fox is main character. A lesser Rex Stout novel.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Chris Baumgartner
Chris Baumgartner rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Bill Jones
Bill Jones rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Felicia
Felicia rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Anna-liza Armfield
Anna-liza Armfield rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2017
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Suze P. Bowen
Suze P. Bowen rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Daniela
Daniela rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
  • Murder in E Minor
  • The Bigger They Come
  • The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3)
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)
  • Instruments of Darkness (Bruce Medway, #1)
  • The Door Between
  • The Mouse in the Mountain
  • Home Sweet Homicide
  • Let's Face the Music and Die (Lauren Laurano, #4)
  • Three Jim Chee Mysteries: People of Darkness / The Dark Wind / The Ghostway (Leaphorn  & Chee, #4-6)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • Skeleton Key (Gregor Demarkian, #16)
  • John Thorndyke's Cases
  • The Red Right Hand
  • A Matter of Principle
  • The Case Of The Shapely Shadow
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated