Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist #4)

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  5,271 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Trapped and injured in a secret alchemical laboratory, Edward Elric is at the mercy of his enemies, Lust and Envy. But they don't want him dead...they have other plans for him. As the laboratory goes up in flames, the brothers find themselves back at square one, with only an inkling of the massive scale of the Philosopher's Stone conspiracy. But then, Lieutenant Colonel Ma ...more
Published November 8th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
good manga
29th out of 453 books — 169 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana TobosoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 27 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 06 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 23 by Hiromu Arakawa
My Graphic Novels and Manga
10th out of 89 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Anila
This is at once both my favorite volume and one I can't stand. A testimony to the writing and characterization, I suppose, but that doesn't mean I don't quietly resent it.

(view spoiler)
Zarakoda
Devan, Sarcasm Expert
Janeen-san
FINALLY!!!!! I have at last succeeded at getting my hands (alas, no auto-mail) on the 4th volume of Fullmetal Alchemist! I'm so happy! I swept through this very awesome volume in one day!!!
Now #SPOILER# when Hughes died in the tv series, I cried my eyes out, something I'd never thought I'd do. Ever. BUT I did! Ahhhhh I miss him. Rest in piece Mr Awesomness :(
But when I came across the scene of his death in the manga...I CRIED! Not as much as I did when I saw it on TV, but my cheeks ended up ver
Bitsy
After the horrific events in volume 3 the Elric brothers spend most of volume 4 recovering from their wounds whether physical, mental or emotional. Laboratory 5 is destroyed and in its aftermath Ed is hospitalized with serious wounds and Al is left reeling from the words of doubt planted by Barry the Chopper. Winry also makes another appearance to fix Ed’s auto-mail arm with the missing bolt. Both brothers have time to reflect on their actions both past and present and in some cases are given a ...more
Mary
This volume was so good (Maes Hughes!! And I thought I was prepared after what happened with Nina and Alexander), and the wait for volume 5 from my library was so long that I gave up and watched the anime (Brotherhood, not the first version)....and now I have no way to coherently speak about this series, I love it so much. The family relationship! Ed and his absolute devotion to getting Al his body back! Al and his conviction that he won't let others suffer in his quest to get back to normal! Co ...more
Sarah Sammis
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 4 by Hiromu Arakawa is the last of the manga volumes that parallels the first anime series. However, the pacing here is more abrupt than what fans of the anime might be expecting.

I'm speaking primarily of Maes Hughes. So much of his character in the manga is built in the after story extras that people reading just the actual chapters will be shocked at how quickly his story arc plays out.

For the most part my favorite version of Fullmetal Alchemist is the original manga
Diana Lynn
Ugh...I was dreading when it would come and here was: the sadness...when I watched the original FMA, I was sad, in Brotherhood, I cried and same here. This volume is my favorite one yet. I love the beginning which swung over from volume 3's cliffhanger, and the hospital, birthday, and Hughes stuff in the middle was hilarious. The end was PAIN...he was my favoriteeee (other than Mustang gyeaaa)...I was thankful for the extras at the very end seeing the little dog (aw) and the comic strips with ou ...more
Ernest
The funeral scene in this volume is one of most heartbreaking funeral scenes I have read in a long time. This was only possible through well crafted characters and plot that made the reader care about the lives of the characters more than just two dimensional representational ink on a page. This, combined with continuing adventures of the Elric brothers and yet more revelations about the deeper plot, make this a great volume in the series.
ladywallingford
Jeffrey
Because I saw the anime first, the pacing of this volume seems a bit off for me. Certain events feel out of order, indeed a particular event happens "too soon". Nevertheless, another strong outing and another worthy read.
Jhaniel
The death which happens in this volume was what really hooked me when I watched the anime and I think this is where the manga really steps up too. Or, to be honest, two things in the story this time really won me over and has me settled in for the long run: the aforementioned death, and the introduction of Barry. Alphonse's identity crises is really interesting both in terms of what it means for his character development and as a proper good question for the reader, too. The art is also already ...more
ArdnAskelA
L'histoire en elle-même n'avance pas trop dans ce tome, mais ce n'est pas pour autant inintéressant. L'intrigue est toujours là. Et l'auteur nous "lâche" quelques nouvelles informations..
Mrs W
Oct 25, 2014 Mrs W rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
The boys’ past adventures have given them knowledge and new ideas, but they’re basically back to the beginning of their quest for the Philosopher’s Stone and the restoration of their original bodies. The brothers’ relationship is tested, and there’s another punch to the feels-gut. (I once again refrained from throwing the library book against the wall in protest.) This one leaves a lot of questions that I’m eager to have answered. Bring on volume 5!

I’m still loving the magic system and the rules
Federiken Masters
Oct 03, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: Lo que hubo y lo que habrá.
Y tras la conclusión de las peleas, la diversión y los debates filosóficos del tomo anterior, viene la muerte. Y nada más ni nada menos que la de uno de mis personajes favoritos. ¿Por qué era de mis personajes favoritos? Principalmente por el desarrollo que había tenido en la versión anime: acá es igual de simpático, disparatado e inteligente, pero hay muy poco tiempo para tomarle cariño. Lo presentan, le muestran sus mañas y un centenar de páginas después, cae muerto, en circunstancias igual de ...more
Katie (Books and Katie)
Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain."

Review:

Starting right were the last one left off, we find Ed face to face with a different enemy, one who we know even less about but has been there from the start. Unlike with the serial killer, who we also see some more of in this book, this group has been more discrete with their killings but makes it obvious that they will stop at nothing to prevent Ed from uncovering the secrets of the
Ansa88
My favorite book of the whole series.
Great series in general--art, the little extras in the back (BLACK HYATE! *grin*) and the storyline. This is really the big turning point where there's a huge "oh s*** something huge is going on here.*
That funeral scene. That is EXACTLY what it's like to lose someone.
"Yes it is. This is rain."

[SPOILER] [SPOILER]

and before that, Hughe's daughter...
"Why are they putting daddy in the ground?]
just everything after that. OHHH MY GODS SO HORRIFYINGLY CUTE AND TEAR
Peter Purushothaman
This volume was a very good, emotional addition to the series. We see the two brothers in their first major fight and unfortunately see a good character to their end. Although through all the sad parts of this novel we see some good ones as after their fight the brothers seems to have an eve stronger bond. We even see the strong and brooding Colonel Mustang crying!
Nicole Fowler
Oh my gosh! I don't quite understand the hidden agenda of the Seven Deadly Sins, but they definitely continue to surprise me. Plus, the death of one of the characters in this book was absolutely heart-wrenching. This series makes you feel some very strong emotions, there's no doubt about that- most happy but a lot are just plain sad.
Renata
Oh, I think this is the volume where a significant human character dies and I angrily texted Carrie about how a cat also died. But then at the end the cat goes to cat heaven and I was soothed.

I read books through a filter that highly prioritizes cat activities.
Majuchan
Really amazing as ever.

It is really a combination of drama, action, mystery, comedy (esp the milk punk xD) and love story (???)

In this volume continues Ed and Al's adventure at the abandoned laboratory and was still spared by envy and Lust. Their relationship as brothers are also tested when Butcher said something to Al about his memories being fake ones. But in the end Winry helped them. I really love it if Winry and Ed would be couple at the end. (hehe)

Well, as the Elric brothers uncovers more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Continues right after the last volume. We're introduced to a new character later in the story. Interesting volume, but it well, got sad. Can't wait to read the next volume.
Otto
Alright, people dying or stuff blowing up anytime they're about to make progress in this mystery is getting repetitive.
Buse
Kargodan geldiği gibi okunup bitirildi..
Bu cilde, serinin önceki ciltleri için yazdığım gibi destanımsı bir yorum yazmayacağım ama siz, bu cildin de muhteşem olduğunu bilin.
Laurianne Uy
Kurtis Burkhardt
This is an excellent manga so far and one of my favorite manga's behind one piece and fairy tale :)
Irene
Ok, I really think I became a maniac and I'm no longer reading manga- I devour them :O I love F.M.A., it really rocks :)
Sarah Geisz
I'm running out of things to say to express my awe.
QuirkyDiana
I am just loving this series the more I read it <3
  • Bleach Volume 09: Fourteen Days for Conspiracy (Bleach #9)
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 9 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #9)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 05: Announcement (D.Gray-man, #5)
  • One Piece, Volume 10: OK, Let's Stand Up! (One Piece, #10)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 26 (Rurouni Kenshin, #26)
Hiromu Arakawa, 荒川 弘, is a Japanese mangaka famous for the series Fullmetal Alchemist. Her real name is Hiromi Arakawa.

Born on May 8, 1973 in Tokachi, Hokkaidō, Japan, Arakawa was born and raised on a dairy farm with three elder sisters and a younger brother. Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and during her school years, she would often draw on textbooks. After gr
More about Hiromu Arakawa...
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 02 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 07 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 05 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)

“Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain.”
118 likes