Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist #4)

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  4,196 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Trapped and injured in a secret alchemical laboratory, Edward Elric is at the mercy of his enemies, Lust and Envy. But they don't want him dead...they have other plans for him. As the laboratory goes up in flames, the brothers find themselves back at square one, with only an inkling of the massive scale of the Philosopher's Stone conspiracy. But then, Lieutenant Colonel Ma...more
Published November 8th 2005 by Viz Media (first published January 20th 2003)

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
good manga
20th out of 447 books — 145 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana Toboso鋼の錬金術師 27 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 06 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 23 by Hiromu Arakawa
My Graphic Novels and Manga
10th out of 89 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Anila
This is at once both my favorite volume and one I can't stand. A testimony to the writing and characterization, I suppose, but that doesn't mean I don't quietly resent it.

(view spoiler)...more
Zarakoda
Devan, Sarcasm Expert
Janeen-san
FINALLY!!!!! I have at last succeeded at getting my hands (alas, no auto-mail) on the 4th volume of Fullmetal Alchemist! I'm so happy! I swept through this very awesome volume in one day!!!
Now #SPOILER# when Hughes died in the tv series, I cried my eyes out, something I'd never thought I'd do. Ever. BUT I did! Ahhhhh I miss him. Rest in piece Mr Awesomness :(
But when I came across the scene of his death in the manga...I CRIED! Not as much as I did when I saw it on TV, but my cheeks ended up ver...more
Bitsy
After the horrific events in volume 3 the Elric brothers spend most of volume 4 recovering from their wounds whether physical, mental or emotional. Laboratory 5 is destroyed and in its aftermath Ed is hospitalized with serious wounds and Al is left reeling from the words of doubt planted by Barry the Chopper. Winry also makes another appearance to fix Ed’s auto-mail arm with the missing bolt. Both brothers have time to reflect on their actions both past and present and in some cases are given a...more
Mary
This volume was so good (Maes Hughes!! And I thought I was prepared after what happened with Nina and Alexander), and the wait for volume 5 from my library was so long that I gave up and watched the anime (Brotherhood, not the first version)....and now I have no way to coherently speak about this series, I love it so much. The family relationship! Ed and his absolute devotion to getting Al his body back! Al and his conviction that he won't let others suffer in his quest to get back to normal! Co...more
Sarah Sammis
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 4 by Hiromu Arakawa is the last of the manga volumes that parallels the first anime series. However, the pacing here is more abrupt than what fans of the anime might be expecting.

I'm speaking primarily of Maes Hughes. So much of his character in the manga is built in the after story extras that people reading just the actual chapters will be shocked at how quickly his story arc plays out.

For the most part my favorite version of Fullmetal Alchemist is the original manga...more
Diana Lynn
Ugh...I was dreading when it would come and here was: the sadness...when I watched the original FMA, I was sad, in Brotherhood, I cried and same here. This volume is my favorite one yet. I love the beginning which swung over from volume 3's cliffhanger, and the hospital, birthday, and Hughes stuff in the middle was hilarious. The end was PAIN...he was my favoriteeee (other than Mustang gyeaaa)...I was thankful for the extras at the very end seeing the little dog (aw) and the comic strips with ou...more
Ernest
The funeral scene in this volume is one of most heartbreaking funeral scenes I have read in a long time. This was only possible through well crafted characters and plot that made the reader care about the lives of the characters more than just two dimensional representational ink on a page. This, combined with continuing adventures of the Elric brothers and yet more revelations about the deeper plot, make this a great volume in the series.
ladywallingford
Jeffrey
Because I saw the anime first, the pacing of this volume seems a bit off for me. Certain events feel out of order, indeed a particular event happens "too soon". Nevertheless, another strong outing and another worthy read.
ArdnAskelA
L'histoire en elle-même n'avance pas trop dans ce tome, mais ce n'est pas pour autant inintéressant. L'intrigue est toujours là. Et l'auteur nous "lâche" quelques nouvelles informations..
Federiken Masters
Oct 03, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: Lo que hubo y lo que habrá.
Y tras la conclusión de las peleas, la diversión y los debates filosóficos del tomo anterior, viene la muerte. Y nada más ni nada menos que la de uno de mis personajes favoritos. ¿Por qué era de mis personajes favoritos? Principalmente por el desarrollo que había tenido en la versión anime: acá es igual de simpático, disparatado e inteligente, pero hay muy poco tiempo para tomarle cariño. Lo presentan, le muestran sus mañas y un centenar de páginas después, cae muerto, en circunstancias igual de...more
Katie (Books and Katie)
Rating: ★★★★★

Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain."

Summary:

Ansa88
My favorite book of the whole series.
Great series in general--art, the little extras in the back (BLACK HYATE! *grin*) and the storyline. This is really the big turning point where there's a huge "oh s*** something huge is going on here.*
That funeral scene. That is EXACTLY what it's like to lose someone.
"Yes it is. This is rain."

[SPOILER] [SPOILER]

and before that, Hughe's daughter...
"Why are they putting daddy in the ground?]
just everything after that. OHHH MY GODS SO HORRIFYINGLY CUTE AND TEAR...more
Nicole Fowler
Oh my gosh! I don't quite understand the hidden agenda of the Seven Deadly Sins, but they definitely continue to surprise me. Plus, the death of one of the characters in this book was absolutely heart-wrenching. This series makes you feel some very strong emotions, there's no doubt about that- most happy but a lot are just plain sad.
Majuchan
Really amazing as ever.

It is really a combination of drama, action, mystery, comedy (esp the milk punk xD) and love story (???)

In this volume continues Ed and Al's adventure at the abandoned laboratory and was still spared by envy and Lust. Their relationship as brothers are also tested when Butcher said something to Al about his memories being fake ones. But in the end Winry helped them. I really love it if Winry and Ed would be couple at the end. (hehe)

Well, as the Elric brothers uncovers more...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Continues right after the last volume. We're introduced to a new character later in the story. Interesting volume, but it well, got sad. Can't wait to read the next volume.
KUTSAL
Kargodan geldiği gibi okunup bitirildi..
Bu cilde, serinin önceki ciltleri için yazdığım gibi destanımsı bir yorum yazmayacağım ama siz, bu cildin de muhteşem olduğunu bilin.
Laurianne Uy
Irene
Ok, I really think I became a maniac and I'm no longer reading manga- I devour them :O I love F.M.A., it really rocks :)
Olgalijo
Although I can't still put my finger on what I like (or not) about this series I'm slowly getting more and more into it.
Hallie
So I'm reading this series because it's so high on many lists as being the best evar, and I see that fans of the series love this volume, and I am still waiting for it to get interesting. I feel like this is all still slowly setting the scene and meeting the characters. I like the characters, but I found nothing engaging about this volume either - the intrigue hasn't really started yet, for me, so I'm wondering if I should quit now if I don't love it yet.
Courtney
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

Action-packed, thickening plot, three-dimensional characters, and humor drizzled on each character, Fullmetal Alchemist is a book that should definitely be read by all. Left me with tears in my eyes and a warm heart for every character that you meet along Ed and Al's long journey.
Piero Sevilla
This volume is really sad. I though that Mr. Awesomeness(Colonel Maes Hughes) is going to be one of the main characters and is going to be at the last page of all the volumes but when i read almost to the final page i found out that he dies (almost started crying) plus is sad because he had a daughter and he cares about her but then he die because he found out a shocking secret (that doesn't tells).
Corley
Those scenes between Edward and Alphonse at the hospital are just beautiful; their bond is so lovely to watch! Definitely my favorite part of this volume. It makes me sad that we didn't get very much Hughes interaction; that's one of the things I enjoyed about the original anime, he was present for a while before he died.
Danielle
Again, I'm not sure I got the emotional punch that I did from the second volume, but nonetheless it is an enjoyable read and certainly expands and continues the story satisfactorily. Winry was an awesome new character and the brothers relationship continues to grow in the eyes of the audience. All around enjoyable.
earthy
Hughes is made of win in this volume, and there's some great injured!Ed and Winry interaction, as well as some angst between Ed and Al. I love the way Winry bullies the boys into an understanding. The hints about the depth of Hughes' and Roy's friendship are also heartbreaking and fun.
Michaelhoctor
I am glad I read this book. The cliffhanger that the last book left off on was to good to not read this one to find out what happened! Other than that, this volume was just as good as the others. An original world with exciting characters, FullMetal Alchemist
Romie
This volume had everything : action, comedy and melodrama.
I was legit sad when Hughes died. It was heartbreaking, because he was a likeable character, I loved his interactions he was very hilarious. I'm so looking forward to the next volume.
  • Bleach, Vol. 08: The Blade and Me (Bleach #8)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 07 (D.Gray-man #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 22 (Rurouni Kenshin #22)
  • Naruto, Vol. 13: The Chunin Exam, Concluded...!! (Naruto, #13)
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 10 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #10)
Hiromu Arakawa, 荒川 弘, is a Japanese mangaka famous for the series Fullmetal Alchemist. Her real name is Hiromi Arakawa.

Born on May 8, 1973 in Tokachi, Hokkaidō, Japan, Arakawa was born and raised on a dairy farm with three elder sisters and a younger brother. Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and during her school years, she would often draw on textbooks. After gr...more
More about Hiromu Arakawa...
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 02 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 05 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 06 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)

“Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain.”
100 likes