Start by marking “Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)

Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  136,275 Ratings  ·  7,225 Reviews
I wasn't free of my past, not yet.

Sydney's blood is special. That's because she's an alchemist - one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. But the last encounter Sydney had with vampires got her in deep trouble with the other alchemists. And now with her allegiences i
Published August 23rd 2011 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about Bloodlines, please sign up.

Dilrabo Saydalieva I have read the Bloodlines even before I knew that there was Vampire Academy series. You will not be confused that much because you already know that…more I have read the Bloodlines even before I knew that there was Vampire Academy series. You will not be confused that much because you already know that Vampire Academy series will be mentioned in the book.(less)
Lila Wayne Well, decide it for yourself, there's Adrian Ivashkov and Abe Mazur both playing a major role in Bloodlines. so this is definitely going to be…moreWell, decide it for yourself, there's Adrian Ivashkov and Abe Mazur both playing a major role in Bloodlines. so this is definitely going to be humorous, and is nothing negatively different from Vampire Academy. although Sydney doesnt swear as much as Rose did in VA, while narrating the story(less)
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
81st out of 24,127 books — 61,165 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
22nd out of 998 books — 11,757 voters

More lists with this book...

Saniya
Jul 17, 2012 Saniya rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires

My reaction after reading this book.

I have this shock-type face right now, which I usually get when I read a disappointing or a really good book. I don't even know if I am disappointed or happy...

I was so excited for this book. I was screaming with happiness when I got it read it. But Bloodlines was so NOT what I was expecting. I thought it would be an action filled story with awesome characters and some romance here and there. But what did I get after reading this book? NOTHING. Yes, people who
Zoë
Jul 17, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT! This was the perfect book for me to finally shake off the rest of the reading slumpy feelings that were hanging around. I was surprisingly happy with Sydney's character and I love her banter with Adrian! I can't wait to see where this series is going to go and I need the next book pronto.
Definitely recommend if you enjoyed the Vampire Academy series!
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
118 days, 30 hours, and counting...

IT HAS A COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is Adrian better be in this series, and he better find someone to love him, or else I'm going to have to jump into the book and make him mine.

Update: According to Mead's blog:

Bloodlines is the spin-off series to Vampire Academy (it's the name of the first book and of the series). It's set in the VA world but will be about different characters: Sydney (our narrator), Jill, Eddie, and one of the love interests from
Wendy Darling
2.5 out of 5 stars Here's why I normally love Richelle Mead. Her books always contain:

* Strong, kick-ass heroines
* Fun action sequences
* Completely immersive urban fantasy
* Snarky humor
* Strong emotional story arcs
* Cute, cute boys.

Always, that is, except in the case of her most recent book, Bloodlines, a new spin-off series from her Vampire Academy books. I've read all thirteen of the author's previous novels, including her adult urban fantasy series Dark Swan and Georgina Kincaid, and I'
Marina
Adrian Ivashkov.

“They’re waiting for you. Go on in.” Adrian leaned close to Keith’s ear and spoke in an ominous voice. “If.You.Dare.” He poked Keith’s shoulder and gave a "Muhahaha” kind of monster laugh.”

“Yeah? Can you draw a skeleton riding a motorcycle with flames coming out of it? And I want a pirate hat on the skeleton. And a parrot on his shoulder. A skeleton parrot. Or maybe a ninja skeleton parrot? No, that would be overkill. But it'd be cool if the biker skeleton could be shootin
Arlene
Sep 01, 2011 Arlene rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Bookers - ARC Tour Alexa
Whack! Pow! Holy alchemist! Punch in the face Batman! What a beginning and what an ending to a series kickoff that I just know is going to be a helluva ride. Team Adrian fans get ready because what you didn’t get in Vampire Academy, Richelle Mead delivers ten-fold in Bloodlines. Our favorite Moroi is back with a vengeance and fully loaded with squee-worthy moments. Can’t wait for more!

Yes, it’s no surprise I’m Team Adrian, and I have been ever since Dimitri uttered in Spirit Bound those sucktast
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 04, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Naomi

It was a likable enough read especially with that twist in the ending. I just thought it was a bit too long or perhaps it just felt that way. My own fault, I guess, because I read it without reading Vampire Academy series and because of my own human flaw, reading stuff I shouldn’t be reading yet, I had to pause several times to Google characters’ backgrounds, terminologies and so on. That reduced my total enjoyment of the book, of course- that and the fact that I’m not really a huge fan of vampi
Jillian -always aspiring-
Aug 28, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who liked the Vampire Academy books in spite of their flaws
The short of it: I'm going to offer the unpopular opinion here and say that I enjoyed this book more than some of the VA books (and this is coming from someone who gave all the books three to four stars each). I love Sydney, Adrian, Jill, and Eddie, and I love the chance to learn more about the Alchemists.
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Jessica (priceiswong)
Jun 10, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
4.5 stars - I knew that I would love this book! The Vampire Academy series definitely makes my top 10 favorite list, so naturally I was excited to read on! I wasn't that happy to hear that it would follow Sydney though. Rose was mentioned in the very beginning, but it was very brief. Truthfully, the reason why this wasn't a perfect five star book for me was because I did find parts of this a TAD slower than the VA series. But it definitely wasn't bad and I was interested ALMOST the whole time. I ...more
Pearl Angeli
Richelle Mead does not disappoint! I've proven it in her Vampire Academy series, and yet again, she proves her excellence in this book. Bloodlines is another masterpiece I have unraveled from this author!

Bloodlines is a spin-off of the Vampire Academy series. The first installment of Bloodlines series, this book introduces us to another adventure of a lifetime. In this book, the story takes place soon after the events of Last Sacrifice (the last sequel of Vampire Academy). But in this book, we g
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I do not relish, nor have I ever relished writing negative reviews. I would like to be able to say that Bloodlines exceeded my very high expectations. I would love nothing more than to write a glowing review for it. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. My love for the Vampire Academy series is the sole reason why I haven't abandoned this book after about 40%.

Let’s start with the most obvious reason: the narrator. When it was announced that Richelle Mead chose Sydney as the viewpoint charac
Steph Sinclair
Up until around page 320 I was resigned with giving this book 2 stars, but thanks to a well placed plot twist, Bloodlines gets and upgrade to 3 stars.

I think it's important to point out I am a fan of Richelle Mead's work. I really enjoyed the Vampire Academy series (even with the second half less than stellar) and equally enjoyed the Succubus series. I enjoy Mead's witty writing style. It's both entertaining and down right hilarious at times.

However, with the exception of Last Sacrifice, I usu
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Caution: a lot of bitchiness will be used in this review. Fangirls beware!

I have to admit that I didn’t start this with a smile on my face. My first thought when I saw this spinoff start was "But why?"

I have a problem with authors (and not only) milking their products too much. That was exactly my impression when I saw this book. But then I said “Hey, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe this will be the start of something beautiful.” Broken dreams…
”A picture is worth a thousand words”

This is why my review
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

I liked the Vampire Academy series. It was entertaining enough, but I never felt that reading it was a top priority. For some reason, though, I REALLY wanted to read Bloodlines. I was way more excited for it than Last Sacrifice. I think knowing that Sydney, a human and an Alchemist, would be the main character made it sound very interesting to me. I liked Sydney from the VA series, and I wondered how different her story and her character would b
Limonessa
Aug 31, 2011 Limonessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: STRONG lovers of Vampire Academy
Today I'd like to hone some of my (poor) mathematical skills and entertain you with some simple but self-explaining equations:

Bloodlines: Richelle Mead= x: Cassandra Clare

Hint: Spin-offs? Bad idea. You either planned them from the very beginning or anybody in this solar system can see that you're clutching at straws here.

Lissa : Rose = Adrian : x

Hint: Spirit users have a most peculiar ability. If you're familiar with Aladdin like I am, you'll know it's one of the wishes that the genie cannot
hayden
This is gonna be in third person . . . *forehead slap*
C'mon, Richelle. You're not meant for third person. We found that out in KISSES FROM HELL.

EDIT 5-16-11

YOU NEED TO COME OUT TOMORROW. What if Judgement Day on Sunday strikes me down and I die not knowing what happened to Sydney? (*knock on wood*)

EDIT 8.25.11

It's coming today!, Oh, golly, IT'S COMING TODAY!
IN THREE HOURS!
description

Hopefully I don't fall out of love with Mead and become like these:
description

EDIT #2: 8.25.1
Anja
Aug 30, 2015 Anja rated it really liked it
*3.75 STARS*

“The greatest changes in history have come when people were able to shake off what others told them to do.”

I was pretty sure I was going to love this book! Sadly, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because it's been a few years since I read the Vampire Acadamy series so I didn't remember a lot and it took me a while to get back into this world, I don't know.
To me, all the events seemed kind of predictable, From the start, I didn't trust Keith and Lee and I kne
Laz
Jan 20, 2015 Laz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire addicts
“Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try.”

I enjoyed this immensely and I must admit I'm surprised I did love it. It's been more than a year and a half since I've read the 'Vampire Academy' series and I had been delaying reading 'Bloodlines' because I thought it wouldn't meet the standards I had set after the last 'Vampire Academy' installment.

I must admit I had forgotten how fun this world was. I
Natasha Polis
Dec 17, 2014 Natasha Polis rated it really liked it
It was so nice being back in the world Richelle Mead created! I'm really enjoying Sydney, and of course Adrian with all his hilarious lines. This book was pretty predictable but super fun, a lot like Vampire Academy, so I'm going straight into Golden Lily!
Michelle Rowen
May 29, 2011 Michelle Rowen rated it it was amazing
Spoiler-free review!

There's one really bad thing about getting to read an ARC three months before the release date -- especially with the ending that Bloodlines has -- and that's that I have to wait THAT much longer for the next book in the series.

I consider myself kind of an authority on the original series after being given the chance to reread them to put together Vampire Academy: The Ultimate Guide (out November 15th! Pre-order now!) so the thought of shifting things up after six books made
Liz
Nov 14, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, great-read
Adrian.Adrian.Adrian...

ahahahahaha sorry, I needed to fangirl a bit...

Awesome plot. Finally an Alchemist as a protagonist!
It was exciting to read how it goes on! Rose appears, fabulous as always, Eddie and Jill and Adrian finally get a chance to show who they are and...this book is just WOW!

After the story with Rose Adrian is broken. He has mixed feelings and this is pretty obvious. On the one hand, he somehow hates her, on the other hand, he still loves her. Nevertheless, he gets a distraction
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Why people are blabbering and rating this book without even reading it is beyond me. Lack of common sense, I think yes.

You all remember Sydney don't you? One of the least memorable characters from the VA series. Yup, that's our protagonist, the joy!

It never really stood a chance.

Sure in typical Richelle Mead fashion the book is fast paced, engrossing and heck of a page turner. There are those moments that have your heart racing, mentions of Strigoi that have you on edge. Things that only VA ca
Mikaela
The one qualm I had about this book? The last line. "Dimitri Belikov had arrived" should have been "Dimitri Belikov had arrived BABY! Hellllllllllls to the yeah"

But aside from that... I really did enjoy it. I love Adrian and Sydney as a couple- there's just that spark between them that was missing with Adrian and Rose and it makes me feel like I can finally appreciate Adrian as his own character without the shadow of Rose and (in particular) Dimitri.

Saying all this, something about this book
♛ Garima ♛

Before reading:

After finishing 'Last sacrifice' I thought I'm missing something. So many loose ends and then I noticed this, just now and I couldn't not read it!

After reading:

I finished VA – the entire series couple of days ago and even though the ending was satisfying, there are few questions left unanswered. I thought it would be okay but when I realized RM has written entire series that is rather spin off of VA, I simply could not resist it.

I had hard time connecting with Rose in VA because
Megan
Have you ever taken a look at the sheer number of books Richelle Mead has produced since first being published in 2007? In case you haven't, the number is seventeen. Seventeen books in the past five years! And that count doesn't include shorts she has written for anthologies. My point is simply that I believe this author, who has an amazing talent for creating unique, believable characters and awesome dialogue has spread herself a little thin.

Bloodlines should have been a fun supplement to the
Jess (Gone with the Words)
Read my review on my blog! --> Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

First thing’s first: Adrian Ivashkov...will you marry me? Once you get your life together, of course. Yes? Great! :D

I’ve always loved Adrian and his humor. Admittedly, I was always Team Dimitri when it came to Rose, but that didn’t mean I didn’t love Adrian and all of his charms. Experiencing him through someone else’s eyes was actually really nice. You get to consider him in a different light. He is still dealing with what happened w
Lissa
Some people are Team Dimitri. Some people are Team Adrian.

Me?

I'm team EDDIE.

Seriously, folks, Eddie is like the coolest big brother/guardian/protector/teddy bear EVER.
Teddy bear hero

Eddie's always there when you need him. He's completely focused on being a guardian and he's always on duty, even when he's not. He won't hesitate to put his body before yours and save your life. He's not dependent on narcotics and he's not a freaking emotional mess who thinks he knows best and breaks your little heart.

In short, Ed
Marga
AHHH THAT WAS AMAZING.

Goodness, I still can't stop grinning like a fool. Richelle Mead got me freaking addicted in this world. It was like I was under a compulsion spell. I cannot get enough.

Sydney Sage. She was exactly the opposite of Rose. She's patient, brilliant, (Not that Rose wasn't all those things, too) Sydney wasn't reckless and impulsive. She always thinks first before acting.

Adrian Ivashkov. I got my Adrian fix. That's it. I'm a goner. I don't think I liked a fictional character in th
Clau R.
Aug 10, 2015 Clau R. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
HELL YES! Dimitri Belikov has arrived!

EHEM, yes.

I really liked this book :). I don't know, I think I still like Rose better than Sydney, but she is awesome, too. The one I don't really like is Jill, but meh, it's okay. Adrian Ivashkov make this book x10000 better and I love him. I was expecting a little romance and I didn't get it, so I just hope I can have it in the next book. I NEED SYDRIAN RIGHT NOW.
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Bloodlines Series, by Richelle Mead - Restarting July 22nd 2016 99 114 Aug 22, 2016 08:45PM
Addicted to YA: Bloodlines 40 421 Jul 11, 2016 01:13PM
The YA Book Club: Bloodlines Series 15 313 May 25, 2016 01:16AM
  • Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles, #4)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Night School (Blood Coven Vampire, #5)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2)
  • Enticed (The Violet Eden Chapters, #2)
  • Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld, #12)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Balthazar (Evernight, #5)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f
More about Richelle Mead...

Bloodlines (6 books)
  • The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
  • The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)
  • The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
  • Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5)
  • The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6)

26 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try." (Adrian)” 1690 likes
“My God, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them?"

That uncomfortable feeling was spreading over me again. "What about them?"

"The color," he breathed. "When you stand in the light. They're amazing... like molten gold. I could paint those..." He reached toward me but then pulled back. "They're beautiful. You're beautiful.”
1143 likes