Start by marking “The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)

The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  108,737 Ratings  ·  8,278 Reviews
Some summers are just destined to be prettyBelly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has know ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Turtleback Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer I Turned Pretty, please sign up.

Jill It definitely is not for everyone, but if you are the kind of person who really enjoys reading coming of age novels, then this is probably your kind…moreIt definitely is not for everyone, but if you are the kind of person who really enjoys reading coming of age novels, then this is probably your kind of book. People shouldn't criticize it just because it was not their cup of tea.(less)
Madison As the series goes on it does get interesting. More about relationships and in opinion the main character in this book goes through what most teenage…moreAs the series goes on it does get interesting. More about relationships and in opinion the main character in this book goes through what most teenage girls go through throughout middle school in high school, which is being stuck between which guy to choose. It was a very fast and easy read. I recommend this book for sure if you like a little romance and conflict, read the whole series to get the full story. I would definitely read this book 100 more times, it truly is one of my favorites. The ending of the very last book in the series actually made me cry! (less)

Ruth
May 22, 2011 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I nearly melted when Conrad was introduced. That strong, silent, protective guy, why, he was even sexier than Edward Cullen! And although he didn't sparkle, he certainly made up for it by his sorrowful brooding, which my heart soared out to. I mean, who DOESN'T understand when someone who is in pain turns to drinking and picking fights at parties?There is just something so alluring, so captivating, about Conrad, because what he does not say or do in words is immediately engraved in my ever-lovin ...more
Arlene
There was so much about this book that bothered me, and I almost gave up on it several times. I think the thing that bothered me most though was the protagonist. Very often, if I can't connect or feel compassion for the main character, the book has slim to no chance of winning me over. In my opinion, Belly was such an immature, self-focused and petulant child. Her actions and feelings about events and people really were annoying that I wanted to shake some sense into her, I'll provide more speci ...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Amazing...that's only thing i can say! :) I recommend this book to everybody. One of the best books I've ever read :)

EDIT: 19 likes for two sentences? seriously, well thank you! Still this book is probably the best summer book ever.
Melannie :)
Nov 22, 2010 Melannie :) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I didn't like this book.

The thing that bother me the most was the girl, Belly, she was VERY annoying. I also just couldn't connect with the story, I mean all the book is about how much she loooooves Conrad (one of her mom's best friend's sons) and everything in her lifes revolves around Conrad.

It was bording on obsession actually, she came across as pathetic. And she complained about EVERYTHING, that the boys wouldn't play with her, that the boys weren't paying her attention, that her bestfriend
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Characters: 5 stars

Setting: 5 stars

Plot: 4

Honourable Mention: To Susannah. For being the embodiment of summer, and pretty much perfect.

***OOH, possible spoilers ahead guys, watch out!

Well. So that was...

Photobucket

I feel a lot like this:

Photobucket

Because I am sure of two things:

1.) I freaking love this series. And Conrad. I really freaking adore him, more than Jeremiah I am happy to say. Ah, to be young and fictionally in love...

2.) This is my new favourite series.

And three, because I'm
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5? 5? I don't even know, but this book read like a dream and I really enjoyed it.

Also, I am terrified about what is going to happen in the later books.
 Arushi
This book made me want to cry tears of blood.

Belly, if someone is hurting and tells you to stop talking, you don’t just kiss them. Also, if you and your friend overhear about his mother’s breast cancer, you don’t think thoughts like ‘oh, I hope she doesn’t loose a boob’

No. Just, no.

My husband does not approve of you.

Low Points in this book:
Belly. Girl, this is for being whiny and obnoxious. Also, for being a bitch to your mother and thinking that she would never ever do anything for you and for
Maureen
Apr 14, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
I was in the mood for a YA contemporary romance and this was perfect for that. I loved the story, even if most of the characters were not super developed. Just a good ol' YA contemporary romance.
I liked Belly for the most part even though she was a little bratty at times, LOVED Jeremiah, liked Cam alright, and didn't really love Conrad most of the time.
Overall, pretty alright! I'm excited to read the rest of the trilogy.
Hershey
☼ An awesome summer read ☼

This story was so cute! I loved all the characters because each and every one of them made me grin happily.

Belly

"It was a summer I'd never, ever forget.It was the summer everything began. It was the summer I turned pretty."

Belly's whole life was measured in summers. According to her, winter didn't count. It was summer that mattered. Why? Because she gets to meet her two favorite boys, Conrad and Jeremiah.
I found Belly very amusing and fun to read about. She was such
Perpetual Writer's Block
DISCLAIMER: This is a very negative review, so if you don't like hearing unpopular opinions, I would advise against reading it.

WHY DID I DECIDE TO READ THIS

I almost hate this book. I like to find the good in every book I read, because there's always something, so I never say I hate a book. Even so, this one comes close.

~Why I Read This Book~

So here's a bit of my background when it comes to Jenny Han:

I read To All The Boys I've Loved Before a few weeks ago. I thought it would be a fun read, but i
Jessie
Just some thoughts.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Belly:
Belly's pretty much clueless the whole time. She thinks the world revolves around her but it doesn't. She's shallow as hell. But for some reason, she doesn't annoy me too much. (She was getting on my nerves a lot toward the end of the book, though.) Overall, she's just an okay character.(view spoiler) I also don't get
Josu
May 06, 2016 Josu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-1-mayo
No llega al aprobado por muchos motivos, pero tampoco se lleva la menor puntuación por otros. Me explico:

El verano en que me enamoré prometía ser una novela sencilla y rápida de leer, y lo ha sido. Sin duda, es lo mejor de esta historia: lo simple y rápida que es. Sin embargo, eso no significa que sea buena. De hecho, tiene muchísimos fallos.

La primera mitad de la novela no tenía rumbo ninguno. DE VERDAD. ¿Qué me cuentas de Taylor? ¿Qué me importa que jugases en la piscina con tus super amigos q
Leslie
Aug 19, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

This book really surprised me. I loved it!
Like CAN I HAVE A CONRAD... (Preferably One who doesn't smoke)
Zoë
May 26, 2014 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Perfect book to get me into the summer mindset! I started reading it this morning when I got to the beach and I didn't stop until I read the entire book. This book is about more than summer and romance, but also family, self, and loss. I enjoyed every single character and how they were more complex than they first appeared. I definitely want to read the rest of the series soon (and also go to the beach a couple dozen more times).
Sky
Aug 22, 2015 Sky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
DNF at 30%

I’m sorry to anyone who loved this book. I’m glad you loved this book, really! But this is what makes book world, book world; diversity in opinions.

Okay, The summer I turned pretty is about a girl named Belly (I know), who every summer goes to this beach house they share with their mother’s best friend, who by chance has two swoon-worthy boys.

I was not interested, I was not intrigued, I felt literally nothing. By now the characters names are slipping out of my grasp. Belly, our MC, is
Amy (Turn the Page)
The Summer I Turned Pretty is the first book in a YA series that by all accounts, seems to be well-loved and incredibly popular.

It’s your typical teenage love-triangle set against a pretty backdrop of sea, sun and sand, and not a whole lot else. With these types of books, when we all know what’s going to happen, it’s the characters and dialogue that really make the story.

It’s a pity then, that I so intensely disliked Isabel.

She was, to put it bluntly, a brat. (Other words I came to associate wit
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Mar 26, 2011 Aly (Fantasy4eva) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those that have always wished for the perfect summer, for that perfect someone.
Rating: 4.5

I'm so glad I bought this with me now. It's one of those books that guarantee's you butterflies and giggles.

Every summer Belly visits cousins Beach with her mother and brother. There they meet up with Susannah (her mothers best friend) and her two boy's, Conrad and Jeremiah. Belly has always loved Conrad. But she has always been able to rely on Jer. He's the safety net, the sweet, uncomplicated best friend type-of-guy. But this summer promises to be different. You see, Belly's all gro
Brooke
Apr 09, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Awe, this was a great book! Very relatable and surprisingly heart breaking. There's just something about ocean air and summer days that make growing up easier. I loved this story.
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
“Moments, when lost, can't be found again. They're just gone.”

This book was so sweet and romantic, it's a great read for valentines.

description

4.5 / 5 Stars

Find this one and more reviews on my blog! :A Book. AThought.

I've loved this one guys,again I'm trapped by the incredible Jenny Han writing style , really is one of those authors who know how to put together a catchy story that will make you feel many things, I think her books are so easy to read, I've just flow through the pages, was great.
My fir
Jude
Dec 13, 2010 Jude rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-shelf
I’ve heard a lot of gushing and good reviews about this novel, and that it has a lot of similarities to Sarah Dessen’s stories. Well, let me tell you, I do NOT agree, and I’m a HUGE fan of Sarah Dessen, and to compare it with her works? To be honest I find it insulting, even if Sarah Dessen herself said that this story was great, I just didn’t feel it. And it's not because I had a lot of expectations of the book, I swear I had never heard of it, but it seemed interesting, and it had a 30% off.

Be
Jessica (priceiswong)
Apr 07, 2014 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really enjoyed this book! This is my third book by Jenny Han, and it's safe to say she's become one of my favorite Contemporary authors!

I loved that this book felt so real. I could definitely relate to Belly being the only girl among a bunch of boys. And sadly, I can also relate to her about liking her brother's friends, but them just seeing you as "the little sister". I DID find Belly to be a little annoying at times.. but she WAS only fifteen years old! I was definitely pretty annoying at 1
Pearl Angeli
"It's the imperfections that make things beautiful."

It's my first Jenny Han read so I couldn't help but feel relieved and happy to find out that I love her work. The Summer I Turned Pretty is indeed a pretty one. It's actually my weakness-kind-of-book to be honest, because I love summer-themed romantic stories and this-- this simply never fails. It has the summer lovin' that I've been looking!

By reading this, I found myself reminiscing We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. It pretty has the same con
Bea Casallecchio
May 11, 2015 Bea Casallecchio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving it 4 stars because I LOVE Jenny Han. The book was okay, it wasn't as amazing as To all the boys I've loved before, or PS I still love you, but well.

MIGHT HAVE SPOILERS SO DONT READ IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS!!

So first thing, the little love square really bothered me! One second was Jeremiah, the other Conrad, the other Cam.
2- The way she left things with Cam. Like how asshole do you have to be to never call him back? Never give him a reason why you stopped talking to him?
3- I felt li
Carolina
Apr 22, 2011 Carolina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So… I liked the plot, the idea and all that. You want to know the problem? Belly.

Yep, I didn’t like her. She was selfish, she knew she should sometimes say something different, be nice, and she would be a complete bitch.

And her friendship with Taylor? There was no friendship at all. Belly was too focused in being jealous or in being happy because Conrad didn’t give that much attention to Taylor. God, what kind of friend was her? I mean, Taylor wasn’t perfect either, but come on! If Belly was re
Mary
Jun 26, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review for all 3 books in this series.

This is a perfect series to read in the summer. You have the beach, cute boys, drama, first loves, all condensed in a cute, fluffy, fast read that will keep you smiling and quite possibly reading all these three books in one sitting.

The Summer series tells the story of Isabella (Belly) and the two boys in her life, brothers Conrad and Jeremiah. Belly’s mother, Laurel, and the boys’ mother, Susannah, have been best friends for a really long time, an
Carla
Jan 31, 2010 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forever-love
I went into reading this book knowing nothing about it other than the fact that it had a pretty cover and a protagonist with the silliest name I have ever heard. But, something about the synopsis made me think that this book would be like no other girl book I have ever read. It talks about things that have been written about a hundred times over; girl finally getting noticed, hot brothers, maybe a possible love triangle thrown into the mix. But the way it kind of glosses over what the plotline r ...more
Madison
Aug 22, 2015 Madison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Jandy Nelson
I started reading this because I thought it would be a happy, fun book but oh gosh.. the story made me so sad.

So this about Belly and she goes to a beach house every summer with the her mum, her brother and the Becks, Conrad, Jeramiah and Sussanah.
She's trying to figure out her heart and she wants to know if she still loves Conrad.

I loved this book a lot! I read it in one sitting! It's not good enough to be a 5 star but its pretty damn good.
I loved the family aspect in this story especially the
Thomas
Every year, Belly craves for summer to come sooner. Summer is the time of year that brings her happiness and fulfillment. She looks forward to the beach house, the pool, the boardwalk - but more importantly, the people awaiting her. Her almost aunt Susannah, and the boys who are everything to her: Jeremiah and Conrad. This summer Jeremiah remains his usual self - cheerful, and Belly's bright best friend. Conrad, who Belly has crushed on ever since she was little, quit the football team and myste ...more
Ashley Metzger
Apr 08, 2012 Ashley Metzger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Han does it again (I read To All The Boys/PS I Still first) with her ability to make you love ALL the male love interests in a novel. I loved Conrad, I loved Jeremiah and I even really liked Cam. I thought this was a good representation of a girl on the brink of growing up but not wanting to go to fast. I loved the summer setting and the descriptive (but not too descriptive) setting scenes, as well as the cute romantic elements mixed in with the ultimate goal of writing a story about a gir ...more
(9 3/4) Gerasimos
Aug 10, 2012 (9 3/4) Gerasimos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A fun, easy and fast-paced love story with a few messages hidden here and there! The perfect book to read on the beach, under the sun, with the smell of the ocean in your nose, the sand among the pages and the waves hitting your feet ...
Conrad or Jeremiah? 193 714 Jun 23, 2017 01:11PM
Future Teachers, ...: Sara Kraatz's Review #7 1 2 Nov 21, 2016 03:18PM
Future Teachers, ...: Lindsey Watt Review 5 1 1 Nov 14, 2016 11:01PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han - Restarting November 20th 2016 240 263 Nov 10, 2016 05:34AM
16-17 Mr. Dean ELA: The Summer I Turned Pretty 1 2 Oct 04, 2016 11:01AM
Books Ever After: The Summer I Turned Pretty 1 43 62 Jul 26, 2016 11:12PM
  • Endless Summer (The Boys Next Door, #1-2)
  • Beach Blondes: June Dreams / July's Promise / August Magic (Summer, #1-3)
  • Twenty Boy Summer
  • How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation (How to Ruin, #3)
  • Girlfriend Material
  • Invincible Summer
  • He's So Not Worth It (He's So/She's So, #2)
  • Something, Maybe
  • Second Chance Summer
  • North of Beautiful
  • One Night That Changes Everything (One Night That Changes Everything, #1)
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • The Summer of Skinny Dipping (Summer, #1)
  • Sixteenth Summer (Sixteenth Summer #1)
  • Stay
  • Breathing
  • Getting Lost with Boys

Summer (3 books)
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)

“Moments, when lost, can't be found again. They're just gone.” 1647 likes