Start by marking “In The Presence of The Sun: Stories and Poems” as Want to Read:
In The Presence of The Sun: Stories and Poems

In The Presence of The Sun: Stories and Poems

In the Presence of the Sun is a celebration of works of extraordinary range by the accomplished author and artist N. Scott Momaday. A glorious testament to our Native American past, this collection of thirty years of work from 1961 through 1991 is a concentration of riches and proof of the persistence of the human spirit. This volume features over seventy poems, sixteen ne ...more
Published September 15th 1993 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about In The Presence of The Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Presence of The Sun

Michael
This was an interesting read. I’m not sure I ever would have picked it up on my own. But I appreciated so much of this. The Southwestern images and stories that ran throughout were rich. My favorite section was the section on Billy the Kid - as if he were Billy the Kid’s companion on the trail. It read true to me.
Katherine Holmes
Jul 17, 2011 Katherine Holmes rated it it was amazing
Very much liked the author's voice and his images add to that. I don't usually read so many poems in one sitting but his have correspondence, one to the next, and, like the short prose, it creates a narrative such as his section on shields. The book is a pastiche of poetry, prose about Billy the Kid, observances that are like sayings, a great texture for reading through the book.
Jeffrey Bumiller
Aug 09, 2013 Jeffrey Bumiller rated it really liked it
Simple poems that pack at lot of punch. Some of these pieces are very zen like, heavy on beauty and wisdom.
Hillary Fenton
Hillary Fenton rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2015
Rebecca Ehlers
Rebecca Ehlers rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Daphne
Daphne rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2008
Laura Riley
Laura Riley rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Don
Don rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Anthony Phillips
Anthony Phillips rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2007
Katherine Archer
Katherine Archer rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Rachel Willis
Rachel Willis rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2007
Liezl
Liezl rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2011
Melissa Fry Beasley
Melissa Fry Beasley rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
M
M rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2008
Shauna
Shauna rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Cory Caplinger
Cory Caplinger rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2013
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Sarah Young-Dualan
Sarah Young-Dualan rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Peninnah
Peninnah rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Nik
Nik rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Milo
Milo rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Jenn Scott
Jenn Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Peter Trzka
Peter Trzka rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Maisie Tyler Rinne
Maisie Tyler Rinne rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
N. Scott Momaday's baritone voice booms from any stage. The listener, whether at the United Nations in New York City or next to the radio at home, is transported through time, known as 'kairos"and space to Oklahoma near Carnegie, to the "sacred, red earth" of Momaday's tribe.

Born Feb. 27, 1934, Momaday's most famous book remains 1969's House Made of Dawn, the story of a Pueblo boy torn between th
More about N. Scott Momaday...

“There was a man who killed a buffalo bull to no purpose, only he wanted the blood on his hands.” 6 likes
“We perceive existence by means of words and names. To this or that vague, potential thing I will give a name, and it will exist thereafter, and its existence will be clearly perceived. The name enables me to see it. I can call it by its name, and I can see it for what it is.” 6 likes