Child of Darkness (Lightworld/Darkworld, #2)

Child of Darkness (Lightworld/Darkworld #2)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  25 reviews

At a Lightworld royal gala, Queene Ayla announces the betrothal of her daughter, Cerridwen, to a high-ranking councilor. Though strategically brilliant, the engagement comes as a shock--to Cerridwen especially. Infuriated by her mother's high-handedness, ignorant of her own true origins, she flees the court--leaving herself vulnerable to those who would see the Lightworld

Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 15th 2009)

FlibBityFLooB
This book takes place 20 years after QUEENE OF LIGHT. The heroine from the previous book starts out as a big old meanie in this one...

On a side note, I love the covers in this series. There is clearly a seahorse on this cover. In this book, there are waterhorses that aren't confined by water and have hands with claws. They actually kill a character with their claws.

While reading that particular scene, all I could picture was seahorses trying to kill someone by knocking at the character with the...more
Lenore
The Story:

Child of Darkness is the second installment of the Lightworld/Darkworld series by Jennifer Armintrout. Ayla has just become Queene of the Lightworld fae. On top of all that, she has just bore a daughter, Cerridwen, and is given the task of keeping her safe, for she is the one who will lead them into the battle with the Upworld. Cerridwen resents her mother, especially when she finds that she is betrothed to her mother's right hand man, Cedric. Battles are prominent and deaths shall occ...more
Erika  Badass
I don't know how to rate this book. Seriously. This book is DARK. As in, death, betrayal, deception, hate, and violence. I loathed Ayla for almost the entire book. I felt very bad for Malachai. I could not see putting up with what he endured by staying with Ayla. Love or not. She did love him, but she was a hypocrite, a bitch, and she was narrow minded and sometimes cruel.

Her daughter, Ceridwenn, wasn't much better. A spoiled, hateful, spiteful young Fae.

I don't know why I kept reading. But I...more
Siuane Sadi
I liked this book better than Queene of Light. This book is more of light political/court intrigue than anything else. You see how in this book the fact that Ayla was not trained to become Queene shows that she sometimes makes the worst choices, sacrificing the happiness of her daughter or her consort for what she believes is right. And yes, clearly, queenship has gotten into her head. But Ayla has been a better warrior than she was Queene. I think all of the bad decisions were primarily due to...more
Roger
Nov 14, 2009 Roger rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes fantasy/romance
Shelves: young-adult-lit
Armintrout's 2nd novel in this series was nothing short of brilliant. I expected a sophomore slump of sorts because the first level and your expectations so high. I thought, "Well. The bar is awfully high and plus, most paranormal romance novels just fall out and repeat themselves." I was mistaken in this instance my friends.

The story picks up where we left off with Ayla continuing her reign as queen of the Lightworld. Her new bundle of joy, Cerridwen (weird name I know), grows up in a world in...more
Falling Off The Shelf
This review was originally published on my review blog : Falling Off The Shelf.

Cerridwen has always been treated like a child, rather than the Princess of the Lightworld. Her mother, Queene Ayla forbids contact with those of the Darkworld, but keeps a Darkworlder as her personal Royal Consort. Cerridwen can't understand how her mother could be such a hypocrite, and this is just one reason why she rebels repeatedly.

Queene Ayla refuses to inform her daughter of her true origins, but only for her o...more
Stacey
NOT A PARANORMAL ROMANCE!
My Title may sound like its a negative thing that this book isn't really a paranormal romance, but its not. I just feel like this book would have been more honestly labeled as a fantasy book. I read the first book, "Queene Of Light" and enjoyed it however I had a difficult time connecting to the characters, and caring about them because they were so tremendously different, being fairies and angels, and their views of loves and emotions were way different than mine. I app...more
Steph
Frustrating read. I really enjoyed Queene of Light, but Child of Darkness wasn't as good for me. 20 yrs have passed and the tough heroine from book 1 is now the big, bad, meanie Queene and the loving, tortured hero is her consort and baby daddy? LOL But, seriously ... the kid was annoying, the mom was mean ... ick! I did like getting Cedric & Malachi's POV. Sad/cliff hanger ending, so I'll read Veil of Shadows because I can't stop here, gotta finish the trilogy, just hope it's better.
Susan
20 years have past. Ayla has changed dramatically, a harsh Queene of the Faeries. She has become manipulative and even cruel. Malachi, his wonderful love for Ayla endures. Ceridwenn, a naive spoiled child, hateful and spiteful against her mother. Cedric, ancient in age and a wise Advisor always there to support and guide his Queene — he becomes the rock that grounds the story.

This sequel was annoying – seeing so many changes to wonderful strong characters to listening the constant whine of the s...more
Bradley
A little better than the first book in this series but still only so-so. Off to EBay for this tale. =)
Cferjani
Apr 17, 2014 Cferjani marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
(blank)
Kendra
Second book starts 20 years later!?! What?! And the main character and her Consort weren't even together at the end of the first book! I was confused...

Not fond of whiny children, or adults. The daughter drove me nuts. Sad ending however for the parents, and it's ended so I'll have to grab the 3rd book to figure it all out.
Delina
Seriously? A twenty year jump?

I found it hard enough to relate to the characters in the first book and now I'm introduced to new set of characters.

Once again curiosity got me to the end and the third will be read simply because I need to finish the series.
Ashley
This was alot better than the first book. I couldn't put it down. At first I felt like to much time had passed between book one and two but I'm glad it played the way it did. There is so much tragedy but hope remains. Can't wait for the third one.
Crystal Withem
I really liked this book. You could feel the love between Ayla and her darkling. The ending had me tearing up. Great book. I can't wait to read the next one.
Kara Callahan
I liked this book much better than the first book in the series! I'm even planning to purchase the final book in the trilogy.
Jill
OMG FIVE STARS!
OR ELSE!

I've just started to read this book. So far so good. Will keep you all posted.

Christina
I'm not sure why exactly, but it was a struggle to get through this.
Kelly
Just as I expected, but a bit of a twist.
Rae
Thought this one was worse than the first.
Brigit
this series so far is AMAZING!!!
Raimie
It could've had a better ending.
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Elsa Y. Roque
Elsa Y. Roque marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Phoenixfyre
Phoenixfyre marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • Cruel Enchantment (Dark Magick, #2)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • Dark Magic (Magic #5)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Immortal Outlaw (Immortal Brotherhood, #2)
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Deceptive Innocence (Pure Sin, #1)
  • The Darkening (Immortals, #2)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)
  • Magic's Design (Magic, #1)
  • The Lady of the Storm (The Elven Lords, #2)
  • The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)
  • Breath of Fire
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • Poison Kissed (Shadowfae Chronicles, #3)
Jenny Trout is a writer, blogger, and funny person.

Writing as Jennifer Armintrout, she made the USA Today Bestseller list with Blood Ties Book One: The Turning. Her novel American Vampire was named one of the top ten horror novels of 2011 by Booklist Magazine Online.

Jenny also writes award-winning erotic romance as Abigail Barnette.

When she’s not writing, she’s sleeping or otherwise incapacitated....more
More about Jenny Trout...
The Turning (Blood Ties, #1) Possession (Blood Ties, #2) Ashes to Ashes (Blood Ties, #3) All Souls' Night (Blood Ties, #4) Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)