Start by marking “New Media: A Critical Introduction” as Want to Read:
New Media: A Critical Introduction

New Media: A Critical Introduction

New Media: A Critical Introduction is a comprehensive introduction to the culture, history, technologies and theories of new media. Written especially for students, the book considers the ways in which 'new media' really are new, assesses the claims that a media and technological revolution is underway and formulates new ways for media studies to respond to new technologie ...more
Published March 21st 2003 by Routledge (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about New Media, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Media

Jacqueline
Mar 24, 2008 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is by far the best written new media text I've come across. It addresses and complicates many false assumptions about media and equally presents multiple sides to a debate. Additionally, I really appreciate that it defines cultural terms that are often taken for granted (that we know what they mean) or are misused. It addresses media from many perspectives - technological, social, historical, and cultural - I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in moving beyond the typical " ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Though I don't have too much experience reading *textbooks* about new media, this one struck me as particularly well-done and thorough. Though I'm not always wholly convinced by the authors' conclusions, their synthetic and clear approach that takes into account an incredibly broad swath of writing on all different types of new media is much appreciated. I plan to use many portions of this book in a course I will soon be teaching, as well as model some of its case studies in choosing others that ...more
Debra Manskey
Jun 03, 2016 Debra Manskey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a required text for my current university unit and while it is incredibly informative, it is at times very dense. A lot of weekly readings were taken from this and in terms of study and providing an academic view of something so many of us take for granted, it is an absolute winner.
New Media is most definitely a text book for communications students. If you have an interest in the subject there's certainly something here for you but I couldn't recommend it for light reading!
Kirsty Shark
Sep 27, 2013 Kirsty Shark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book to brush up on a few things and I've since decided to buy it. The book covers a lot of ground and I could see it being really useful for teaching and readings. It's also handy for learning about or getting perspective on new media topics which you aren't so familiar with.
Carol
Nov 28, 2007 Carol rated it liked it
potentially interesting material, but boring to sit and read through
Ez
Jul 21, 2012 Ez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university-books
Great if new media and convergence is your thing..........it's not mine!
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2012
Nick Thomson
Nick Thomson rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Kristina Salmane
Kristina Salmane rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Niamh May
Niamh May rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
John Yearwood
John Yearwood rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Rick Hurkens
Rick Hurkens rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2015
Lynsey Le Cocq
Lynsey Le Cocq rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Anis Annisa
Anis Annisa rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2017
Perry
Perry rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2011
Hana Makovcova
Hana Makovcova rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Sarah El-aasser
Sarah El-aasser rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Peta Long
Peta Long rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Bart
Bart rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 22, 2010
Stuart Hooper
Stuart Hooper rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Kristian Agustin
Kristian Agustin rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Tetske
Tetske rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Christie
Christie rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • Fans, Bloggers, and Gamers: Media Consumers in a Digital Age
  • The Language of New Media
  • Remediation: Understanding New Media
  • Personal Connections in the Digital Age
  • A Creator's Guide to Transmedia Storytelling: How to Captivate and Engage Audiences Across Multiple Platforms
  • Interface Culture: How New Technology Transforms the Way We Create and Communicate
  • The Future of Learning Institutions in a Digital Age (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and
 Learning)
  • Young People, Ethics, and the New Digital Media: A Synthesis from the Good Play Project: A Synthesis from the GoodPlay Project (The John D. and Catherine ... Reports on Digital Media and Learning)
  • The Breakup 2.0: Disconnecting Over New Media
  • Youtube: Online Video and Participatory Culture
  • Beyond Barbie and Mortal Kombat: New Perspectives on Gender and Gaming
  • Life on the Screen
  • Locke and Key: Omega #2
  • The New Media Reader [With CDROM]
  • Welcome to the Funnel: Proven Tactics to Turn Your Social and Content Marketing up to 11
  • No Sense of Place: The Impact of Electronic Media on Social Behavior
  • Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America (Technology, Education--Connections) (Technology, Education - Connections (The TEC Series))