Start by marking “First Lady” as Want to Read:
First Lady

First Lady

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Michael Dobbs returns to the subject that made him a household name - the high drama and scandal of the political world. This is HOUSE OF CARDS for the 21st century, an insider's view of the dynamics of power by a writer who has had a privileged seat at the court of government for many, many years.

This time the king maker is a woman, Virginia Edge, mid-thirties, attractive
Published October 23rd 2006 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about First Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Lady

Matt
Michael Dobbs returns with a stellar piece, as interesting and thrilling as his House of Cards series. When Ginny Edge, wife of an Opposition MP discovers that her husband has been stepping out on her, she uses all in her power to turn the situation on its head, beginning with motivating her husband to be a better man and keep the infidelity under his hat. Using her own cunning ways, as well as a number of people around her, Ginny sets her eyes on the larger prize, 10 Downing Street. Meanwhile, ...more
Peter Auber
Toni Osborne
This is a story of an ambitious woman transforming herself from a political housewife into a master manipulator of the political system at Westminster.

The protagonist is Ginny Edge, the wife of MP Dominic Edge. Her aspirations are to make her husband Prime Minister and in turn assuming the power of First Lady. We can all relate to the characters in this novel: sleazy politicians, an array of head-line newspaper columnists and ruthless people in search of ultimate authority by all means. The sub-
LindyLouMac

Although this is the first title I have read by this author I was a fan of The House of Cards television series from his previous novels. I think maybe because of that I was expecting to enjoy this more than I did, but although well written it disappointed me. Politics, Power and Passion, I found it all so predictable and certainly for me there were no surprises along the way.
I do think though that as a man Michael Dobbs has a talent for portraying women.
Richard
A novel set in the Westminster village concerning a wronged wife who turns from contented Domestic Goddess - baking Betty Crockers and hoovering in the mornings, picking the kids up in the afternoon - to Westminster super-bitch (friend of Piers (sorry, Max) Morgan, distributor of hotel corridor CCTV footage and general nasty piece of work) overnight.
The plot moves at a fast but predictable pace, and, to put it mildly, lacks subtlety - the main character's nasty tricks are not exactly interestin
Tim
yeah ok - not Dobbs best but very readable
Bharath Ramakrishnan
Somewhat predictable. Not a bad one time read but could have been so much better. Could have benefited with more pace and twists
Gerry
Having thoroughly enjoyed the 'House of Cards' television series, I decided to give Michael Dobbs a try with this one. And as much as I thrilled with the 'House of Cards', I was disappointed with 'First Lady'.

Yes, the corruption, sex scandals and underhand dealings in Westminster do go on, I am sure, but this storyline plodded along somewhat, with the characters utterly predictable and the events similarly so.

Even so it was a passable read and I might just try another of his books at a later dat
Angie Swain
When Dom Edge, Member of Parliament, is found out by his wife to be having an affair, the adage that comes to mind is "hell has no fury...."
Ginny decides to take revenge and to promote Dom as a candidate for Prime Minister in the up coming elections. She plays dirty ... very dirty and discovers that she is the stronger in the marriage.
The plotting and dirty tricks are worthy of Michael Dobbs - a good entertaining read indeed
Caron
Fast-paced, funny and so entertaining that I found myself reading slowly to avoid coming to the end. Valiant efforts at emotional depth are chucked in periodically but you don't read a book like this for that sort of thing. Where Michael Dobbs excels is in recycling his first hand experience of Westminster: Ginny Edge's brilliant machinations are just on the credible side of far-fetched, and the result is fascinating.
Isabel Mansfield
Ginny is the young wife of an Opposition MP who does a back flip when she find out her husband is having an affair.She turns into a super ambitious no holds bard will not be satisfied until her husband is prime minister and every dirty trick is used on the way.The plot is pretty obvious but it is still easy reading and entertaining
Rachel Balota
An interesting read with some insight to the British political system, which I'm not familiar with at all. Some cross-referencing makes it seem pretty accurate, of course without the bickering and plotting amongst the wives (though I'm not sure that's nonexistent).

Otherwise, a fairly predictable read.
Jo Barton
A quick and fascinating look into what may go on behind the political front door. Ginny Edge is certainly more avaricious than her hapless husband,who with great cunning she steers towards her ultimate dream of becoming the Prime Minister's wife.
Ian
Not really in the same league as the House of Cards Trilogy. The plot moves along all very well but sometimes the chain of events really tugs the roots of reality.

Good for the beach or a long journey.
Susan Hutchinson
Interesting twist into politics
Tony
Brilliant novel, well written.
Fred T
Fred T added it
Jul 18, 2015
Ren
Ren marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Lee
Lee added it
Jul 17, 2015
Sarah Bryant
Sarah Bryant marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Sarah Adamson
Sarah Adamson marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Susan MacNeal
Susan MacNeal marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Maz Loton
Maz Loton marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jane
Jane added it
Jun 01, 2015
Bill Kempthorne
Bill Kempthorne marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01)
  • Shimura Trouble
  • The Emperor's Babe
  • The Making of Modern Britain
  • A Son of War
  • Nest of Vipers
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • Resurrection Day
  • Without Consent
  • La Mémoire des murs
  • Map Of A Nation
  • Remembrance Day
Michael Dobbs was born on the same day, in the same hour as Prince Charles in 1948.

He is the son of nurseryman Eric and his wife Eileen Dobbs and was educated at Hertford Grammar School and Christ Church, Oxford University. After graduating in 1971 he moved to the United States.

In the USA he attended the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, which he
More about Michael Dobbs...
House of Cards (Francis Urquhart, #1) Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1) To Play the King (Francis Urquhart #2) Never Surrender (Winston Churchill, #2) The Final Cut (Francis Urquhart #3)