Start by marking “First Lady” as Want to Read:
First Lady

First Lady

Michael Dobbs returns to the subject that made him a household name – the human drama and scandal in Westminster’s corridors of power.

Ginny is the young wife of an Opposition MP, Dominic Edge, and is entirely content with her life in the constituency home. So when she overhears gossip of her husband’s affair, it is a shattering blow. For some women such things seem part of
Published October 23rd 2006 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about First Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Lady

Viktoria
Aug 01, 2015 Viktoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting experience. I've never read a book about politics yet and this was a very good introduction. I've had a bit of trouble getting used to the writing style but I find this topic very fascinating.
This novel is mostly about Virginia Edge wife of Dominic Edge in the beggining chairman of the Opposition. It takes up other points of views too never too personally (which bugged me in the beggining) always in third person.
Though we also see the life of an immigrant woman from
Matt
Jan 30, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Michael Dobbs returns with a stellar piece, as interesting and thrilling as his House of Cards series. When Ginny Edge, wife of an Opposition MP discovers that her husband has been stepping out on her, she uses all in her power to turn the situation on its head, beginning with motivating her husband to be a better man and keep the infidelity under his hat. Using her own cunning ways, as well as a number of people around her, Ginny sets her eyes on the larger prize, 10 Downing Street. Meanwhile, ...more
LindyLouMac

Although this is the first title I have read by this author I was a fan of The House of Cards television series from his previous novels. I think maybe because of that I was expecting to enjoy this more than I did, but although well written it disappointed me. Politics, Power and Passion, I found it all so predictable and certainly for me there were no surprises along the way.
I do think though that as a man Michael Dobbs has a talent for portraying women.
Toni Osborne
Jul 17, 2009 Toni Osborne rated it liked it
This is a story of an ambitious woman transforming herself from a political housewife into a master manipulator of the political system at Westminster.

The protagonist is Ginny Edge, the wife of MP Dominic Edge. Her aspirations are to make her husband Prime Minister and in turn assuming the power of First Lady. We can all relate to the characters in this novel: sleazy politicians, an array of head-line newspaper columnists and ruthless people in search of ultimate authority by all means. The sub-
Richard
Aug 04, 2011 Richard rated it it was ok
A novel set in the Westminster village concerning a wronged wife who turns from contented Domestic Goddess - baking Betty Crockers and hoovering in the mornings, picking the kids up in the afternoon - to Westminster super-bitch (friend of Piers (sorry, Max) Morgan, distributor of hotel corridor CCTV footage and general nasty piece of work) overnight.
The plot moves at a fast but predictable pace, and, to put it mildly, lacks subtlety - the main character's nasty tricks are not exactly interestin
Peter Auber
Sep 05, 2014 Peter Auber rated it it was ok
Gerry
Oct 23, 2010 Gerry rated it it was ok
Having thoroughly enjoyed the 'House of Cards' television series, I decided to give Michael Dobbs a try with this one. And as much as I thrilled with the 'House of Cards', I was disappointed with 'First Lady'.

Yes, the corruption, sex scandals and underhand dealings in Westminster do go on, I am sure, but this storyline plodded along somewhat, with the characters utterly predictable and the events similarly so.

Even so it was a passable read and I might just try another of his books at a later dat
Caron
Aug 14, 2013 Caron rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, funny and so entertaining that I found myself reading slowly to avoid coming to the end. Valiant efforts at emotional depth are chucked in periodically but you don't read a book like this for that sort of thing. Where Michael Dobbs excels is in recycling his first hand experience of Westminster: Ginny Edge's brilliant machinations are just on the credible side of far-fetched, and the result is fascinating.
Angie Swain
Oct 01, 2012 Angie Swain rated it liked it
When Dom Edge, Member of Parliament, is found out by his wife to be having an affair, the adage that comes to mind is "hell has no fury...."
Ginny decides to take revenge and to promote Dom as a candidate for Prime Minister in the up coming elections. She plays dirty ... very dirty and discovers that she is the stronger in the marriage.
The plotting and dirty tricks are worthy of Michael Dobbs - a good entertaining read indeed
Rachel Balota
May 13, 2007 Rachel Balota rated it it was ok
An interesting read with some insight to the British political system, which I'm not familiar with at all. Some cross-referencing makes it seem pretty accurate, of course without the bickering and plotting amongst the wives (though I'm not sure that's nonexistent).

Otherwise, a fairly predictable read.
Isabel Mansfield
Jun 21, 2012 Isabel Mansfield rated it liked it
Ginny is the young wife of an Opposition MP who does a back flip when she find out her husband is having an affair.She turns into a super ambitious no holds bard will not be satisfied until her husband is prime minister and every dirty trick is used on the way.The plot is pretty obvious but it is still easy reading and entertaining
Ian
Sep 28, 2009 Ian rated it liked it
Not really in the same league as the House of Cards Trilogy. The plot moves along all very well but sometimes the chain of events really tugs the roots of reality.

Good for the beach or a long journey.
Jo Barton
Feb 05, 2012 Jo Barton rated it liked it
A quick and fascinating look into what may go on behind the political front door. Ginny Edge is certainly more avaricious than her hapless husband,who with great cunning she steers towards her ultimate dream of becoming the Prime Minister's wife.
Susan Hutchinson
Nov 20, 2013 Susan Hutchinson rated it really liked it
Interesting twist into politics
Ruth
Aug 31, 2016 Ruth rated it liked it
Fun read, similar to House of Cards. I enjoyed it.
Bharath Ramakrishnan
Somewhat predictable. Not a bad one time read but could have been so much better. Could have benefited with more pace and twists
Fiona
Oct 12, 2016 Fiona rated it liked it
I am a fan but this was not his best.That said it was an amusing and engaging read and he is never wasre of time.
Tim
Feb 07, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
yeah ok - not Dobbs best but very readable
Tony
Sep 12, 2013 Tony rated it it was amazing
Brilliant novel, well written.
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Olwen Shand
Olwen Shand rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
May 23, 2017
JM Jimenez Reyes
JM Jimenez Reyes rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2013
Tom Johnson
Tom Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2011
R
R rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Vierblij
Vierblij rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2013
Pamela Holmes
Pamela Holmes rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Butterfly Song
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair, #1)
  • Shimura Trouble
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • Midnight Plus One (Crime Masterworks)
  • The Heart of the Dales
  • Canto for a Gypsy
  • High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2
  • Planet of Treachery (Family d'Alembert, #7)
  • The Intercom Conspiracy
  • Tango Briefing
  • Empire State
  • Up With the Larks: Starting Again in Cornwall
  • Man Who Sold the Moon / Orphans of the Sky
  • Phoenix Sub Zero
  • (Un)arranged Marriage
  • The General
Michael Dobbs was born on the same day, in the same hour as Prince Charles in 1948.

He is the son of nurseryman Eric and his wife Eileen Dobbs and was educated at Hertford Grammar School and Christ Church, Oxford University. After graduating in 1971 he moved to the United States.

In the USA he attended the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, which he
More about Michael Dobbs...