Start by marking “Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials” as Want to Read:
Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials

Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials

Visual Methodologies is an introduction to reading visual culture. It explains which methods are available to the undergraduate student and shows exactly how to use them. The text begins with a discussion of general themes and recent debates.
Published March 20th 2001 by Sage Publications (CA) (first published January 16th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Visual Methodologies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visual Methodologies

Sep 28, 2014 Trevor rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkably interesting book. We tend to like to think that because we live in a ‘visual’ society – and one that is increasingly visual in orientation (film, television, YouTube, and endless advertisements in every possible location) that the ‘language’ of images would be something that would be quite transparent to us. However, trying to work out just how to analyse images is a remarkably difficult thing. Firstly, there is the problem she highlights in the very first line of this book, ...more
c2o library
This book elaborates on various theories and visual methodologies, emphasising the ubiquity of visual materials in today’s culture. (She gives a short, general summary of the “rise” of ocularcentrism in modernism and its evolution into simulacra in postmodern era). Rose systematically analyses a number of theoretical frameworks along with relevant methodologies to describe how, why and when we can use visual technologies as research supporting tools, or even as the foundation of the research its ...more
Oct 15, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Rose argues that because we live in such a visually oriented culture, we should become adept at utilizing images to understand the world around us. This is a very "academic" read, but useful for those interested in learning how to interpret culture.

Rose highlights how our own interpretive lens (our experiences in life which shape who we are) influences our presentation of images. For example, two different people viewing the same image on Facebook may have completely different interpretations of
Glenn Williams
Oct 10, 2011 Glenn Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The construction of scientific knowledges about the world has become more and more based on images rather than on written texts." (Stafford: 1991)

We live in an incredibly visual culture, and Rose argues that because of its centrality to our Western culture, that there is a need to understand how to analyse images that deeply impact how we interact in our world, and to understand what influences our own analysis and relationship to the images we are researching.

One cannot help but be somewhat ch
Bojan Fürst
Jun 03, 2012 Bojan Fürst rated it really liked it
This is an excellent primer on interpretation of visual materials. It is an academic text, so if you are expecting anything else, you will be disappointed. It would be a five star book, except there is a few things she omitted in the discussion of a Doisneau photograph in the first chapter and that makes me wonder if she missed other things that may be more important. That's nitpicking, though. This is an excellent intro to the subject.
Mar 17, 2016 Daniela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I found this book very helpful for my research project for my master thesis.
Rose discusses several visual methods though I can not say if the list is exhaustive. This book is definitely at the introductory level and tries to include both theory and practical guides.

>> Chapter 1 - Introduction
>> Chapter 2 - Compositional Interpretation
>> Chapter 3 - Content Analysis
>> Chapter 4 - Semiology
>> Chapter 5 - Psychoanalysis
>> Chapter 6 - Discourse Analysis I
Glory Churchill
it is a very good book for research methods try it and you will like it.
Vika Gardner
Jan 29, 2015 Vika Gardner rated it liked it
Although she does love her Foucault, Rose does a nice job of breaking down ideas about how to look at photos, film (and video) from a variety of levels. Probably an excellent choice for undergraduates who want more challenging/complex thinking.
Sep 09, 2014 Eli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-design
This one is a must have for anyone interested in using visual research methods for a written project of any kind. Very simple navigation and clear instructions. Quite pleasant to read :)
Feb 25, 2013 Gretchen rated it liked it
Shelves: grad-school, thesis
An introductory text about visual culture and different methodologies for studying visual materials. Emphasis on introductory. This text was great to read, but it would have been even better reading the summer before I started this art history program. Nonetheless, full of good information and a solid explanation of terms. Also discusses several philosophical approaches in a very systematic and understandable way.
Ruben marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
MM marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Clare Tigoglu
Clare Tigoglu marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Samantha Rohr
Samantha Rohr marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Jenni Toivonen
Jenni Toivonen marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Khalil rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Nostalgia marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Erick Carvalho
Erick Carvalho rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Eiganerd rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Antti Alanen
Antti Alanen marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
paula marino
paula marino marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Sudarshan marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Sarah McLean
Sarah McLean rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Lisa rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2016
May Lin
May Lin marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Katerina rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Picture Theory: Essays on Verbal and Visual Representation
  • Photography: A Middle-Brow Art
  • On Collective Memory
  • Social Linguistics And Literacies: Ideology in Discourses (Critical Perspectives on Literacy and Education)
  • Genesis