Start by marking “The New Evolution Diet: What Our Paleolithic Ancestors Can Teach Us about Weight Loss, Fitness, and Aging” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Astonishing as it may be, it's a fact that human DNA has evolved very little since our Paleolithic
ancestors roamed the earth. But while our genes may be similar, the environment in which they express themselves has changed radically. Living in an age when activity was mandatory and food was scarce, our ancestors thrived. Early man did not suffer from heart disease, high bl
Published December 21st 2010 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The New Evolution Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Evolution Diet

Make that, "The Narcissist's Evolution Diet." I was excited to read a book said to describe "the robust health that Mother Nature intended...Eat only those foods that were available to early man..." However, the author's ego gets in the way and he's so busy bragging and describing exactly the foods he eats, that he never gets to the information you want. Not only that, you expect that his PhD is related to nutrition or kinesiology, so you feel a bit deceived when you find out it's in economics. ...more
Jecka Marie
I agree with the low carb/"paleo" lifestyle and try to live it myself, but De Vany makes some really dubious "scientific" claims that are very outdated and I definitely can't get behind them (like demonizing butter. Uh, what?). Maybe this book is too old for the science, I don't know. His obviously huge ego also got pretty annoying very early on. Yes, you're an old dude and you surely have a great body; yes, I'm sure you have the testosterone of an 18-year-old boy. Yes, I'm sure your doctor said ...more
Nick S
Diet book. Summarizes via negativa and kurtosisic diet/lifestyle of econonomist Art De Vany.

Reads like infomercial in beginning and spurts throughout. But still makes strong arguments about simple and complex carbs becoming an addictive cycle making us want to eat more of them. And that being loaded up on carbs prevents our body from entering a fat burning state.

Advocates and explains subtracting foods that have not yet been distilled through time/evolution as healthy. Also advocates and expla
Steve Greenleaf
Reading Nassim Taleb's Fooled by Randomness in the spring of 2007, I came across the name of Art De Vany, the author of Hollywood Economics. Taleb mentioned it in his book because it addressed the issue of the difficulty of predicting winning movies. De Vany, an academic economist, talks about power laws, stochastic events, complexity, etc. in that academic work. Taleb noted in passing that De Vany also applied these principles to fitness. I checked it out on the web and discovered De Vany's web ...more
May 10, 2014 Joakim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: {paleo dieters}
Shelves: 2014
Nothing new in this new insights into paleo/evolution-based diet. De Vany preaches randomness when it comes to eating paleo foods and working out (randomness ad in timing). For diet it translates to intermittent fasting, and for exercise- random bursts of HIT(High Intensity Training).
Presentation was pretty felt like I was reading random blog posts, and it just could be a copy-paste job from the subscription-based blog he runs.
Lisa King
Impressions...a fairly easy read. I am not convinced that a New Evolution Diet would work for me but for others, yes. I just don't eat that much meat. I've already read books about the effects of a high carbohydrate diet and this is just another approach to this way of living.

Aurthur had some interesting ideas that may have merit especially when it comes to exercise. Three to 4 days a week in the gym, each about half an hour max, is a good idea. HIIT or high intensity interval training where yo
A good guide to the paleo diet from a more traditional dieter's perspective. The author makes some good arguments and appeals well to his experience helping his wife and child manage diabetes. It gives a good overall perspective about why the paleo diet works so well physiologically. Having just finished other books explaining the scientific evidence that supports paleo diets, this one seems light on more complex explanations, and on occasion, especially in the section about longevity, the autho ...more
While Loren Cordain's "The Paleo Diet" (2011 edition) will remain the bible for those wanting to improve their health through approximating the dietary intake of our pre-agricultural ancestors, I believe one benefits from reading a variety of sources on dietary and health techniques. De Vany's book supplements Cordain's by bringing more focus on exercise. Pre-agricultural humans did not run marathons, or train on treadmills for hours on end. What can we do to alter our fitness regimens in order ...more
Greg Linster
Art de Vany isn’t your typical nutritionist or health professional. By trade he’s an economist, albeit he’s one of those rare economists that actually understands that the human body is a complex system. For that matter, he argues, it’s simply another economic system. He writes about some things you won’t hear mentioned in popular nutrition or health classes, e.g, “information cascade”, chaos theory (and the “butterfly effect”), power laws, fractals, and stochasticity.

Read the rest of my review
Best health book out there.
interesting when reading the facts, blah and not enough info other than his personal experience and theories.
Melissa Mcavoy
Interesting info on carb restriction. Very interesting, and new for me, input on the importance of randomness in exercise and diet. The book is focused more on maintaining health, increasing muscle mass and avoiding the negative effects of aging, including Altzheimers, than on weight loss. Adequately well written. The vanity of the author and the famous economist who writes his post-script are noticeable but don't detract too much from the information offered.
Arron Kallenberg
I picked this book up because Nassim Taleb wrote the afterward and also writes about De Vany's ideas in his books The Black Swan and Antifragile. Coming from that perspective, The New Evolution Diet was great, zeroing in on how we can take advantage of randomness, kurtosis and stochastic living to benefit our minds and bodies. That being said, I'm not sure I would have appreciated The New Evolution Diet nearly as much had I not read Taleb's books beforehand.
Overall, it was a good book, but I didn't feel like it really added anything new to the concepts of a "paleo" or "whole30" lifestyle. If anything, he toes a slightly more "traditional" line (low cholesterol, stay away from red meat, etc.) One thing that I did enjoy was the idea of randomness/adaptability/anti-fragility, and exploring how that relates to optimal expressions of health.
Will Slade
Good book. Simple, straightforward, with a lot of applicable, sensible advice.

The point that diet is very important, and that bursts of exercise are more important to health than rigid, regular workouts is good. It's what I want to do. Being a robot is hard.
Short, simple and contains prescriptions for diet and exercise that everyone can follow. If you are looking for the simplest and easiest way to get healthy and prolong your life, this is the book to read!
The introduction would be good for anyone new to what the study of our species' evolution has to say about our health. Not much new info here for me though.
Written by the "grandfather" of the Paleo movement, a great book for inspiration and information about an evolutionarily appropriate diet for our bodies.
Vern Glaser
another solid book, a little evolutionary in it's style but some interesting ideas that are worth considering, particularly thoughts on aging.
Anil Jaiswal
some good thoughts, and do not agree with evryhting in it, but worth reading and trying, more as a practice than a diet
Another great book with lots of science to back an evolutionary lifestyle including, but not limited to diet.
Although it struck a chord with me when I read it, upon later inspection it truly shows its own stupidity.
Bill Seitz
Decent PaleoDiet intro by a bright outsider. Enjoyable afterword by kindred-spirit Taleb.
Michael Welch
I like the whole idea of randomness but I wish more hard science was discussed.
Cari Taplin
Awesome book that could save your life... definitely your quality of life!
Ken Doyle
you will look at your steak differently! and want more.
man, this guy is full of himself.
Short but eye opening.
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Deep Play
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans to Bring You Joy
  • Body by Science: A Research-Based Program for Strength Training, Body Building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week
  • The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • Stone Age Economics
  • RAWvolution: Gourmet Living Cuisine
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 4A: Combinatorial Algorithms, Part 1
  • Newton's Telecom Dictionary: 22nd Edition (Newton's Telecom Dictionary)
  • Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine: Improving Health and Longevity with Native Nutrition
  • Meat: A Benign Extravagance