Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)

Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #6)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  619 ratings  ·  69 reviews

Author Blaize Clement has earned herself a legion of fans with the first five books in her pet-sitting mystery series. Now Blaize's beloved heroine, Dixie Hemingway, is back, and when Dixie's latest assignment turns dangerous, it's up to her to save the day.
Dixie, no relation to you-know-who, is helping an injured and cantankerous man take care of Cheddar, his orange s
Published January 4th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons

Kaje Harper
I've liked this series about an ex-deputy turned pet-sitter who gets embroiled in mysteries. But the MC has a tendency to jump into dangerous situations without telling anyone else in a way that bothers me, coming from someone with a supposed law-enforcement background. At the beginning of this book she is kidnapped, and although she admittedly is fairly quickly released (when the kidnappers realize they have the wrong woman) the degree to which she blows off the experience strikes a false note...more
Clare O'Beara
While there is a cat, his only purpose is to draw the protagonist into the household where bad things are about to happen, so this is not a book about cats.

Dixie lives in Florida and pet-sits; quiet after her former job of deputy police officer. One of her new clients has a granddaughter arrive unexpectedly while Dixie is tending the cat - he can't feed it himself with an injured arm. The granddaughter Ruby has a small baby and is about to give evidence in a major trial. I could not see any rea...more
Ellen
"Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons" by Blaize Clement.

Pet/Cat sitter, Dixie Hemingway, has a new client. This time it's a cat named Cheddar attached to a human by the name of Mr. Stern. Mr. Stern is elderly and apparently has no bonds with another human but does have a strong bond with cheddar.

Soon Mr. Stern's grand-daughter, Ruby, appears on his doorstep carrying a tiny baby. It seems to Dixie that Ruby is more of an intruder than a welcomed family member by Mr. Stern.

Dixie notices a woman glaring...more
Juli Pennock
I liked it just fine. Didn't love it, but it was definitely a pretty good story; fun but tinged (more than tinged...I'll say...informed) by some pretty deep and horrifying sadness.

I like Dixie's world, and I like her a lot as well. It's a bit different for me, to encounter a cozy protag with such a tragic past, but that's not a bad thing. There were a few things I skipped over because honestly, a cozy is about escapism for me, and this one's a bit more serious. Again, not a bad thing and I enjoy...more
Lynn Lerch
Another winner for Blaize Clement. Dixie, a animal sitter, takes on the job of caring for Cheddar. Cheddar is owned by a cantankerous old man who complains about everything. He recieved Cheddar from his granddaughter who returns to live with him. Dixie gets mistaken for the granddaughter and is kidnapped. Before it is over Cheddar's home is torched, the granddaughter's baby is kidnapped and Dixie gets her man.
Rebecca
The writing is fun, but there really was no mystery here. It's pretty clear cut who's to blame.

My main problems are 1) the main character is a former deputy, but doesn't act like she knows much about law enforcement; 2) the writer repeats a lot of the information over and over again. For example, we "live" through the main character's kidnapping but when she retells her story to various people instead of choosing "Dixie related her story to Guidry" or "Dixie told Paco about her ordeal", we get t...more
Nora-adrienne
Apr 27, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: cozies
Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons
By: Blaize Clement
Copyright January 2011

Blaize Clement’s Dixie Hemingway books are sure to do two things. Entertain you and take you through a maze of twists and turns as Dixie takes care of her client’s pets and finds the bad guys.

Dixie is hired to help elderly Mr. Stern take care of Cheddar his big orange American Short Hair cat. Mr. Stern had ripped his bicep playing tennis. During her visit Mr. Stern’s granddaughter Ruby comes home with her 4 month old daughter Op...more
Babs
I really like this series. The heroine, Dixie Hemingway (no relation)- "a direct phrase from the book", is a bit hard-boiled for my taste, but when your learn her history (which you will in the first book), you know she has reason to be cynical, a bit cold and closed-off.

Dixie seems to becoming more "alive" in this book, starting to move beyond her past and learn to live again. Unfortunately, more hurt may be in store for her ahead, but she seems more prepared to deal with it.

Ah, the mystery -...more
James
Dixie Hemingway, a former sheriff's deputy turned pet sitter, is back. In her newest adventure, Dixie is helping an injured and cantankerous old man take care of Cheddar, his orange shorthair cat. When the man's granddaughter and her baby show up at the his door, Dixie finds herself totally smitten with the man's adorable infant great-granddaughter. However, the baby's naive young mother has enough inside information about a local real estate ponzi scheme to send some powerful local rich guys to...more
Sara
We see "inside" Dixie a bit more in this book. I know...as much as she's talked about losing her husband and daughter and her subsequent breakdown, how can there be more? Well, when a baby is involved, Dixie's feelings for her lost daughter and the possibilities for her relationship with Guidry bubble up and at times almost overwhelm her. When a child is endangered, there's no gray area for Dixie...she has to help no matter what.

A Ponzi scheme, a grandfather at odds with his granddaughter (who's...more
Ann aka Iftcan
This is the first book in this series that I've read. While I enjoyed most of the book, I'm having a problem with the "epilogue" I guess you'd call it. This is kind of a spoiler--not for the mystery, but for the personal life of the MC.

(view spoiler)...more
Charlene
My rating on this one may be unfair. I enjoyed the other "Dixie Hemingway pet sitter" mysteries so much that this one disappointed me. There's a diferent tone to it. The books have always had serious stories and certainly Dixie herself, still recovering from the loss of husband and child, deals with grief and loss constantly. But the details of daily life on the Florida Gulf coast, the scenery, the food, the supporting characters just don't come alive in this book for me the way they have in the...more
Donna in Southern Maryland
These books are not quite Cozy, not quite Hard Boiled, but rather somewhere in the middle; I like this series a lot.

Cat & Dog Sitter Dixie Hemingway (no relation) lives on quiet Siesta Key, and is trying to build a life again after a tragic accident took her young husband and daughter. She goes through her days tending to animals, and has started a budding love relationship with a handsome police detective. Of course, one of her human clients gets in trouble, and former police officer Dixie...more
Ed
#6 in the Dixie Hemingway series. Dixie is a professional pet sitter on an exclusive Florida coastal island. She has an interesting domestic situation - she lives in a tiny renovated over-garage apartment, while the house is shared by her gay firefighter brother and his police detective lover.

Dixie Hemingway bonds with Ruby Carlyle, estranged wife of drag racer Zach Carlyle, at the home of Ruby's granddad, Mr. Stern. Ruby is waiting to testify against Ponzi schemer Myra Kriegle. Dixie's job is t...more
Don O'goodreader
Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons is a straight forward mystery without any plot twists or turns. The bad guys got rich running a Ponzi scheme centered about Florida real estate, smuggling illegal immigrants, and other unspecified dastardly deeds. They are willing to drop people into the ocean from their private plane and to kidnap government witnesses and their babies if anyone gets in their way. In the end, they are found guilty of every bad thing anyone suspected.

If you like cats and/or dogs and p...more
Ann
Dixie is a great character and her pet sitting always takes an interesting turn

Kat
Dawn
E.
Mar 02, 2011 E. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Dixie Hemingway is slowly starting to relish life again but gets caught in the crossfire when a crochety client's granddaughter and great-granddaughter return to complicate his life. Ruby and Opal become targets of unscrupulous criminals and Dixie is incapable of standing by when she can do something to help, even if it means compromising her principles. The added complication of a jittery Lieutenant Guidry makes Dixie wonder if she is ever destined to be truly happy even though she works hard a...more
Richard
As this series progresses, each book seems to be written a little bit better. In addition to being a part of her personal life, and that of her fireman brother and his detective partner, and the love of her life, we get glimpses of her work as a dog and cat sitter. As in previous books, her job taking care of dogs and cats leads her into criminal problems and efforts to save her charges and their owners. This book, though, has an unexpected ending.
Christina Jones
I'll admit to being a softie and a story about a kidnapped baby really tugs at your heart. I did like the development of the story, the rescue especially. The romantic turn of events and then the departure of Guidry was rather abrupt but predictable. Wonder if he'll turn up in Book 7 or is he gone for good? The improved story development and the better character developments of the supporting cast, gives this the 4 star rating I think it deserved.
Susan
It is great to be able to keep reading this series and enjoying the adventures of Dixie Hemmingway.
Laura Millerick
Aug 09, 2011 Laura Millerick marked it as dixie-hemingway-mysteries  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it,now i can't wait for the next one in the series.

one quote from the book i love it is on page 116 " ... to give more thought to the four F's in life,

family, friends, food and fun-than to career goals, achievements, possessions, status, or bank

statements." I just found out that Blaize Clement passed away on July 20, 2011. I will miss her

writing so much! If you love this author as much as me, read her blog.
Gramy
This was a very interesting mystery involving suspense and the rise from the unsurmontable pain and suffering after the loss of a husband and a child. Dixie was able to overcome many adversities and eminent danger in her daily life and eventually became comfortable with her new life on her own, with the help and encouragement of her brother, friends, and acquaintances along the way. This was a GREAT read!
Kristin
If you’re looking for a simple adventure with a strong and well-developed heroine (and a four-legged friend or two), Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons is a good pick. But if you’re looking for a light and sunny mystery to chase away the winter blahs, you might want to look for something a little brighter.

Read the full review at: http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Carole
Dixie Hemingway, a professional cat and dog sitter, keeps getting involved in murders. She had been a police detective until her husband and little daughter were run down and killed. While she was trying to heal, she took a job that would not be so dangerous; but Dixie keeps accidentally falling into trouble. It kept me turning pages.
Kj
Sep 19, 2012 Kj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: clement
I love this series. It is so different than the others because of the pets. I do think at times she overdoes it with losing her family but it does not ruin the story. I love the characters, descriptions and how it flows. Never a dull moment and it does not drag. I hope the next one is just as good.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I like this series because I grew up spending all my time on Siesta Key, but it is not a cheerful cozy series. I find it melancholy and a bit hard to read sometimes, but I see hints of humour now in the later books and I'll stick with the series, if for nothing else than a 'visit' home.
Jodie Hill
Another enjoyable and fast read. Dixie is kidnapped in a case of mistaken identity, which is bad for the kidnappers because now Dixie's figured out they wanted to kidnap and needs to know why.... Again, the ending seemed to neat and tidy and rushed, but a good rainy day read
Susie in KS Fevella
Probably closer to a 3.5 rating. It was kind of a boring plot thrown into the same old story. Yes, we know Billy Elliot likes to run laps in the parking lot...and yes, we know Dixie likes to wash her Keds. I just hope the next book is better than this one ;)
  • The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • Mourning Gloria (China Bayles, #19)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Christietown (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #4)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Spider Web (Benni Harper, #15)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Begging for Trouble (Dog Walker Mysteries, #4)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba...more
More about Blaize Clement...
Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1) Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #2) Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #3) Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5) Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4)