Start by marking “The Sleeping God (Dhulyn and Parno, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping God (Dhulyn and Parno, #1)

The Sleeping God (Dhulyn and Parno #1)

Dhulyn Wolfshead and Parno Lionsmane are members of the Mercenary Guild, both veterans of numerous battles and missions, each a master of martial arts. And more than that, Dhulyn and Parno are Partners, a Mercenary bond that can only be broken by one or both of their deaths. Their past lives are supposed to be irrelevant?but Dhulyn and Parno have histories and secrets that ...more
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping God

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Dhulyn (Dill-lyn") and Parno are Mercenary Brothers, and Partners. The Mercenaries are elite fighters, a guild that crosses continents with a long history of nobility and honour. Being Partnered, they also share a bond that cannot be severed.

Having finished one commission, they arrive in Imrion, Parno's birthplace, to find that the Marked - those people born with the ability to Find, Mend or Heal - are being persecuted by angry mobs and New Believers, Jaldean priests who have branched off from t
Joseph
Jan 21, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dhulyn Wolfshead and Parno Lionsmane, members of the Mercenary Brotherhood, hired to escort a young orphaned woman to the House of her family in a distant city. What could possibly go wrong?

Engaging characters and a first glimpse of an interesting world -- I enjoyed this one and look forward to following their further adventures.
Jeffrey
Oct 24, 2008 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
decent light reading fantasy about mercenary soldiers who while escorting a cousin of a noble family find themselves involving in an plot to dispose the king and also a plot by an alien monster who is shapeless and inhabits the bodies of the citizens. The alien at this time is inhabiting the bodies of the head of the priesthood and using its minions to try to capture Marked individuals -- that is individuals with special talents as healers, menders and finders, because these people can destroy i ...more
Amy
Dec 03, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Admittedly, I picked up this book because I liked the cover. Nice color, cool picture of a male/female pair of warriors. I read the back cover, thought the story sounded interesting (I've got a thing for mercenaries), and bought it. I was definitely not disappointed. Sometimes judging a book by its cover actually works! The two main characters, Dhulyn and Parno, are compelling; the supporting characters are great as well. And the story puts this book in the "don't want to put it down" category.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Sep 06, 2009 CJ - It's only a Paper Moon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moira J Moore Fans
This book is tough for me to review. On one hand I really enjoyed it. it reminded me of Moira J. Moore's "Heroes" series except a little more series and more blood and death.

Dhulyn - pronounced Dillon -- and Parno are Brothers. Mercenary Brothers. Their bond (like Taro's and Lee's) is a difficult one to explain and one, as a reader, I'm not exactly sure what it entails. They are best friends, soul mates (possibly literally carrying around the soul of the other???), sometimes lovers (not too clea
Josh
May 14, 2011 Josh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to stop around page 250. This book was awful, for several reasons. My main gripe concerns the characters, who all have really bizarre and forgettable names. It took me a hundred pages into the book before I could discern between the two main characters. The woman's name, Dhulyn (pronounced "Dillin"), fit the man (Parno) better than his own name. The way the two act is also so interchangeable that it was pretty easy to get them mixed up. The author made it even worse by switching between th ...more
Claire
Jun 16, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle, 2013
This was a Tor.com recommendation and it ticked a few of my boxes. Firstly it was an epic fantasy series that I haven't read (or even heard about before). Secondly it was by a female author which gets extra points as I'm pretty much over male authors at this point in time, particularly new male authors who write 'grimdark' (yuck and double yuck). Thirdly it has a female protagonist. So how could I resist? Particularly with a holiday coming up and a kindle to fill.

I think the fact that I download
Jessica Strider
Aug 11, 2011 Jessica Strider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rather than sitting the characters down for a history lesson they already know, Violette Malan introduces her world through the actions and personalities of her protagonists. And the actions begin with a well orchestrated scape goating campaign by the New Believers, a sect of the Sleeping God’s priesthood, against the Marked, those with special abilities to Heal, Find, Mend and See. Enter Dhulyn Wolfshead, mercenary partner of Parno Lionsmane and a carefully hidden Seer. They have returned to Pa ...more
Emily
Sep 20, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love Dhulyn and Parno. I was unsure of this book at first, but the duo quickly won me over and I eagerly await their next adventures. Dhulyn and Parno novels are on my radar. It was so refreshing to read about two people so effortlessly devoted to each other and the lack of conflict between them only adds to the story. You want to know more about this remarkable duo. I won't lie, being a woman I was secretly thrilled that Dhulyn was senior brother.
Alejandro Melchor
Jun 13, 2013 Alejandro Melchor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, fun read, and the final solution is something I've toyed around with on my own fiction projects, so I was particularly delighted to find it here. Still... the instances of "In Battle and/or in Death" began to grate a little by the end.
Sabrina Fish
Jul 14, 2013 Sabrina Fish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the characters. Dhulyn and Parno feel so real to me. I usually read heavy epics and needed a break, but I didn't want to leave the genre. This was a quick read, packed with epic adventure, and and fun. Loved the twist as I wasn't expecting the sleeping god to be who it ended up being.
Rachel
Nov 22, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic new book from a fantastic new author. Each book is a self contained story in an overarching world that contains a ocntinuous story line. More detail to come
Estara
Sep 01, 2010 Estara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrid
Nov 22, 2013 Astrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish I could have liked the story more. The cover is amazing and immediately caught my attention. The book starts out really good and I was happy to have found a little gem. The world building is very well done and kept me going for a while.

Unfortunately, the story begins to loose its appeal after around 150 pages. The plot is okay, if a bit cheesy and even without reading the ending first one can easily guess how the story is going to continue and will finally end.

But the main problem
Real Dead Review
My main issues are with Dhulyn & Parno being billed to among the greatest warriors known ,but there are only a few fight scenes. Malan makes it clear in the book and builds the prowess of the Dhulyn and Parno but just doesn't deliver or back it up enough. The few battle scenes in the book are glossed over and end quickly which doesn't seem to be consistent with her two battle loving main characters. The pacing was also off amd again I have to point to the main characters not being involved i ...more
Kati
A well-plotted book with a slightly slow beginning and a too drawn out ending.

I liked all the House intrigue and plotting but, in my opinion, the book would've benefited from being shorter - it's 476 pages long - and more condensed. Also, the POV jumps - please, authors, please, don't jump between people's POV from one paragraph to another. It's confusing as hell when I can't be certain who is actually talking before I see the speaker's name.

I loved the characters - but there is a "but" again. I
Coffcat
Aug 03, 2008 Coffcat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I had a real hard time getting through this book. On paper the plot and the characters are all that I could ask for, but I felt like something was missing. At the very beginning the two main characters already have an established relationship and years of living together. You get no real flashback or history of how they met or how their lives got to this point. It's almost as if this is a second book of a series. It made it hard to care what happens to these people not knowing anything about the ...more
Stephen Pearl
Aug 23, 2011 Stephen Pearl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of political machinations complicated by demon possession, ancient conflicts and long lost heirs.
This is a good solid fantasy story. The characters come to life with a verity of concerns and desires that seem totally reasonable for people with their back stories. Violette keeps the pace moving and the reader guessing as villains become victims and heroes stumble. The skill set of the lead characters is impressive and reminiscent of actual warrior casts from the history of our world. The
E.
Sep 18, 2009 E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dhulyn Wolfshead is a Seer who is partnered and Bonded with Parno Lionsmane and both are Mercenary Brothers. They return from an assignment across the ocean and discover that those who have talents like Dhulyn are categorized as Marked and are being targeted and persecuted at the behest of followers of the Jaldeans. Insiduous influences combine to force them to go to the capital city of Gotterang as escort for a young women who is a member of one of the ruling Houses. They become embroiled in mu ...more
Deanna Roberts
Jun 08, 2008 Deanna Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with any new series, there is a little bit of time getting 'into' the book. I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.

Even though I struggled a little at first with the "different font" that indicated different visions by several different people, once the light went ON in my brain about what was being seen and which were futures and which were pasts, I became quite enamored with the book. I believe that it was not through any issue with the writer in this case, but with the read
M—
Jun 04, 2013 M— rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sword and sorcery fantasy done quite very well. I particularly liked the mercenary culture. Heavy on action and political intrigue, lighter on the character interactions (alas, as I'm particularly fond of character interactions), backstory somewhat uneven — perhaps to be filled in later novels.

Three and half stars. I didn't quite fall madly in love with it, but I very much look forward to reading more about these characters.

Related reviews:
The Mirror Prince
Brett Bydairk
Aug 01, 2014 Brett Bydairk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
First in a series, featuring Dhulyn Wolfshead and her Mercenary Partner, Parno Lionsmane. They hire on to escort a young woman to the capitol city, but things turn strange when it appears that a priest of the Sleeping God is looking for Marked people - those gifted with such powers as the ability to Find, to Mend, To Heal, to See - and their charge is one of these. Not to mention the secrets that each mercenary holds close.
Nice plot, that doesn't drag, nice character development, and a denouemen
Nicole Luiken
Apr 29, 2015 Nicole Luiken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great world-building in this fantasy. I liked the concept of the Mercenary Brothers (who BTW could be women, too) and their Partners who were "together in Battle or in Death". I liked the different categories of the Marked (Finders, Healders, Menders and Seers) and the naming customs in Imrion. I loved how a lot of separate things came together in the ending to wake the Sleeping God and defeat the Green Shadow.
Quibble: The pacing was a bit slow in places, and Dhulyn's visions sometimes telegraph
S.M. Carrière
Oct 07, 2016 S.M. Carrière rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This entire book was carried on the backs of its main characters - Dhulyn and Parno. There were some things in the story that were a little shaky, but the Dhulyn and Parno are so wonderful that I kept reading just to find out how they solved their predicament.

There are things I wish were explained more fully, and some plot points I feel were handled a little too simply.

Still, a fantastic read, and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series.
Lex Finn
Nov 23, 2015 Lex Finn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book over a year ago and I regret not getting to it sooner. Somewhat cliché in plot, but I loved the characters and the world that Violette has created. I'm excited to read more, and I hope we see more of a certain Steward of Walls in books to come!
Dedo
Jul 14, 2015 Dedo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I've read of a female lead in a fantasy, and it's not ultimately a love story. Actually, I'm just reading book 1, so I shouldn't say that, but it's refreshing and exciting. The plot is good enough to keep your attention, no boring moments.
Anna
Apr 15, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the unique universe which allowed the relationship between Dyllan, Parno and the rest of the "cast!" The storyline was fast paced and the characters kept me engaged! All in all, a good read!
Dejsha
Jun 18, 2008 Dejsha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the characters in this book. They were a new take on the contract warrior you see in some fantasy books.
Danielle
Oct 26, 2009 Danielle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Have nothing against the story or the characters, but the pace made me *yawn*.
Eric Desmarais
Fascinating works with lots of potential. loved the main characters. The plot is a little slow and the mystery predictable but it's a lot of fun.
Not worth reading 2 12 Feb 07, 2008 02:35PM
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
  • Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1)
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)
  • The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1)
  • The Hidden Stars (Rune of Unmaking #1)
  • Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)
  • Matelots (Raised By Wolves, #2)
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Holder of Lightning (The Cloudmages #1)
  • The Wizard Hunters (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #1)
  • The Legend of Nightfall (Nightfall, #1)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • Gordath Wood
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • The King's Peace (Tir Tanagiri, #1)
  • The Dark Griffin (The Fallen Moon, #1)

Dhulyn and Parno (4 books)
  • The Soldier King (Dhulyn and Parno, #2)
  • The Storm Witch (Dhulyn and Parno, #3)
  • Path of the Sun (Dhulyn and Parno, #4)