Start by marking “The Star King (Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Star King (Star, #1)

The Star King (Star #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,621 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
He will cross time and space to find her again

Shot down over the desert, wounded fighter pilot Jas Boswell encounters a heroic golden-eyed stranger from another world—one that’s light years away. He saves her life, but before she can find out who he is, she loses consciousness. Long after she’s rescued, dreams of the enigmatic man haunt her and nearly derail her life.

On
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Star King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star King

Lizzy
** 3.5 stars **
It all started with a dream... When Jasmine fell from the skies as her F-16 was derailed by ‘friendly fire’, she dreamed of an unfamiliar world and of a golden-eyed stranger. They linked in this surreal mirage, and Rom visioned an Angel that saved him to later be abandoned alone to his fate.

I just revisited Susan Grant's Star King, and enjoyed all over again this book that starts with force and continues with a journey to a faraway galaxy, in a nice balance of romance, adventu
Monique Atgood
Feb 23, 2013 Monique Atgood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first science fiction romance novel I ever read. It is my favorite of all time. I pulled it out and re-read it last week, and thought what a great movie this would make.

SYNOPSIS:
Aliens contact Earth. Only they aren’t aliens. They’re men like us. Turns out, there’s a galaxy wide peaceful stable society. Earth is so far away, we went unnoticed. The aliens are eager to open trade with Earth. After the initial shock, they are allowed to land and commence trade negotiations.

Jasmine i
E.G. Manetti
I picked up The Star King on a promo expecting Scifi Romance (which it is), and was pleasantly surprised to find an action heroine. One with no paranormal or super heroine powers. Jasmine, a former US Jet pilot has a Twilight Zone-esque encounter with an alien fighter pilot, Rom, when they are both simultaneously shot down in battle on different planets. When their teams rescue them, they are torn apart to yearn for each other for nearly twenty years. They are reunited when earth is discovered b ...more
Lyndi
Feb 16, 2017 Lyndi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME.

This book. This motherfucking book, y'all.

The H/h have sex atop a giant snail while watching the sunset over the ocean.

I have written and deleted a thousand words in this review because I literally can't figure out how to express the feelings I am experiencing over this. But truly, words fail me right now.
Lover of Romance
Jasmine, on her fighter jet, crashes down and then she sees a man..a stranger one who is compelling and becomes forever in her memory. Since then, Jas has never been satisfied with her relationships, for she is always looking back to him whose memory has been burned in her mind forever. Rom, once a heir of the B'kah, is looking for adventure and the one woman who has haunted him day and night. Now he is planning on finding her, even if its in a remote system and in the 'frontier' no less. Jasmin ...more
Tara van Beurden
This is the first in the trilogy that Grant wrote before her Otherworldly Men series (which I read last year) and whilst this was still an enjoyable space romp (and I love me some space romping!) the inspiration for the later series was starkly obvious. The religion used as the basis for society in the Otherworldly Men universe is an evolved version of the one used in this trilogy as is the fact that the religion is used in the manner it is. Moreover, the personas of many of the characters bear ...more
Kathrynn
I'd forgotten all about this book and while working on this author's books remembered it. Neat book. Sci-fi with heroine as a fighter pilot that crashes and she "sees" the hero in dream-like state. She helps him and they form a relationship via mind only. He then comes looking for her in real life. I enjoyed it and it's been a long time since I read it, hope I got the details correct.
Pearl
Dull story, Dull main character. Just...pretty...dull
Rhode
Sep 18, 2013 Rhode rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's not so bad if you've never read any decent science fiction. But if you have, this will seem truly awful.
Twist
I really like this one. It starts out with some fantasy, but quickly becomes more sci-fi like.

I really don't want to hash out the plot. I will say it is the 1st meeting for Earth government with aliens. We meet a new culture, but don't really learn much about it, since the story doesn't really have much to do with it. Rom is kinda a rebel/black sheep of the family.

I appreciate the way that the author wrote the feelings between Rom and Jas. There was no 'other woman' or 'I'm not good enough for
Kathy Davie
Sep 01, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Good story. Needs to take more time with development of her character interactions. She could build in such great tensions between her characters and instead it’s almost like she’s sticking to the barebones of the outline.
SheLove2Read
Dec 15, 2010 SheLove2Read marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Nothing wrong with what I did read. Just not holding my interest.
Judy Lewis
Jun 27, 2016 Judy Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CAPTIVATING, SEXY AND DIVINELY ENTERTAINING!
Title: The Star King
Series: The Star Series
Author: Susan Grant
Designation: Book One of Series, Standalone Novel, NO Cliffhanger
Reading Platform: Kindle Edition
My Rating: Five Riveting Stars*****
Jackpot! I love science fiction, adore action/adventure, and simply can not live without an infusion of romance, but when I find the perfect combination of all three in one great book, I'm in heaven! And fortunately for me, that's exactly what Susan Grant deliv
Shannon
Dec 26, 2007 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of sci-fi romance
I enjoyed this and will definitely be reading the other books set in this universe. Susan Grant manages to convey a depth of feeling in her writing, and her books contain an element of humor that really works for me. It's also obvious that Grant knows what she's talking about regarding being in the Air Force. I'm not sure if she actually was, though I think I read that this is, in fact, true.

The characters here are for the most part good. I liked that Jasmine is a little older than your average
Ana Maria
Aug 22, 2014 Ana Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aquellos que quieran viajar y enamorarse por las estrellas
Lei este libro hace tiempo. A España apenas habia llegado nada con romance y cifi, si habia llegado algo que podia catalogarse como "romance cifi" que era la Rosa Cuantica y Inversion primaria, pero ambos libros estaban editados como simplemente de CIFI y estaban casi descatalogados, me costo mucho encontrarlos.

Asi pues este fue el primer libro que lei de este genero, estaba muy emocionada, queria ver que podia ofrecerme la autora, algo que no fuera demasiado "raro" pero que fuera interesante d
Al "Tank"
Sep 13, 2016 Al "Tank" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm not a romance fan. Well, I do read one writer who does a good job of spinning a yarn.

I started this book expecting a science fiction story. When the romance side started taking center stage, I decided to stop reading it. I even made some noise to that effect here on Goodreads. The next day, I picked up my Kindle to delete it, but decided to read a "bit more" to see what happened to the current "situation". Before I knew it, I was immersed in the story and couldn't get out. (HELP!!!).

S
Karen
Jun 29, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read on average a book a day and have found that I go through four to five 4-5 star books to find one that I not only finish, but want to read more by that author. This book is not only that one in five, but something rare-a book that kept me up all night reading. I was absolutely glued to my Kindle.
Rom B'Kah is the exiled Vash Nadah Prince, now a space trader and pirate. Twenty years earlier he was fighting Sharron, an enemy to his people, when his brother was killed and he was left sterile
Mary Dallenbach
May 07, 2015 Mary Dallenbach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Its hard to find good Sci Fi romance. I think this was was really well done. Sci Fi romance usually takes us into the future. The idea that extraterrestrials visit us in modern times was fun. I liked that Grant weaved a story that takes place in our modern time and also takes us to other worlds. Jaz was a great character. She was well grounded and focused as you would imagine a mature woman to be. She had a painful past but it didn't define her it made her stronger. I c ...more
Sandra
Jun 28, 2010 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, sci-fi, romance
I gave this one 3.5*. I would've given 4* but it was just a bit too cheesy.

Definitely cheesy, but also fun, in a save the universe kind of way.

Our heroine, Jasmine is a fighter pilot over Saudi when she is hit by friendly fire, crashes and blacks out - to dream of - our hero, is Rom B'kah, heir to the known universe, who is also in a starfighter that crashes on a far off world and who watches his brother die. He also dreams of her, 'his Angel'.

Nineteen years later - they meet when Earth is visit
Holly Bargo
Jul 08, 2016 Holly Bargo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cut above other alien romances

First, kudos to the author for a technically clean book. No complaints about grammatical errors this time.

Second, the story flows well with even pacing, realistic dialog, and well developed characters. The running gag about ale is definitely worth a chuckle. The use of mature adults instead of teeny-boppers is a welcome change of pace.

Excellent book!
Anneliese
Jan 10, 2009 Anneliese rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
This is a book that has been on my to-read shelf for a really long time. So long, that I decided that I was finally going to get around to reading it. I have to say, I think I built this book up to be more than it was. I was a little disappointed in the world building. I think I'll give another in this series a chance but not anytime soon.
MB (What she read)
7/12/16 2.5 stars:

Silly, but enjoyable. The world building is completely and entirely hand-waved away, and the heroine seems to either be fatally naive or have a subliminal death wish, but this is enjoyable enough if that kind of thing doesn't drive you bats.
Sommertime
Feb 01, 2017 Sommertime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A little slow in spots, but a nice romance and fun sci-fi story. I was a little put off by his attitides towards intimacy. I can't put my finger on why, but it was mostly his cavalier attitude about sex. It didn't endear him to me very much.
Anett
Oct 22, 2013 Anett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great and believable space story. I have to read the next one now. Up, up and away.... ;-)
C.J.
Oct 26, 2013 C.J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. It was slow to start but happy with the ending.
Brandifer
Sep 16, 2011 Brandifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly what it looks like: junk food for the brain. As junk food goes, it was top tier - a 3-scoop banana split with a ton of whipped cream. MMMMMMMM yummy! :)
Carrie
3.5* An enjoyable book, but with average plotting and characterization. The romance was steamy and well-written. I'll definitely read the next one in the series.
Farozan
Jun 29, 2016 Farozan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance, action, and space adventure packed in one book! Perfect for those looking for other-worldly romances with a gripping storyline, a touch of fantasy, and edge-of-the-seat action.
Anna
Nov 25, 2011 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I re-read this book again. So all in all it was sort of forgetable. It wasn't bad, just not excellent.
Leah Ford
Jun 21, 2017 Leah Ford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book popped up out of nowhere and it was free so I downloaded it. Space / sci-fi is not my normal genre, I have read a few but not many before. I fancied something different to read so I started it immediately, I didn’t even bother to look the author up or read any reviews!

Once I started this book I couldn’t put it down. I liked the characters immediately, both Jas and Rom were strong with moments of self-doubt but ultimately together they were a force to be reckoned with. All the other cha
  • Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4)
  • The Power of Two (2176 Series, #4)
  • Shades of Dark (Dock Five Universe, #2)
  • Day of Fire (2176 Series, #2)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • The Challenge (Rystani #1)
  • Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates, #2)
  • The Shadow Runners (2176 Series, #3)
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Shielder (Shielder, #1)
When NY Times/USA Today bestselling author and Air Force veteran Susan Grant isn’t driving an 18-wheeler (a 747 jumbo jet) she loves writing romantic, action-packed stories featuring gutsy woman and honorable men. Flying to exotic places and trying every kind of food imaginable helps Susan bring her sci-fi worlds alive for readers. She is a winner of the prestigious RITA award for her book Contact ...more
More about Susan Grant...

Star (4 books)
  • The Star Prince (Star, #2)
  • The Star Princess (Star, #3)
  • The Champion of Barésh (Star World Frontier, #1; Star, #4)

“Take me,” she said. “I’m yours.” Beela” 0 likes
“Several cast furtive welcoming glances in Jas’s direction, pricking her curiosity. Had she not known better, she might have thought they were expecting her. Beela” 0 likes