Start by marking “A Mighty Fortress” as Want to Read:
A Mighty Fortress

A Mighty Fortress (Safehold #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  3,109 ratings  ·  130 reviews
Young Cayleb Ahrmahk has accomplished things few people could even dream of. Not yet even thirty years old, he’s won the most crushing naval victories in human history. He’s smashed a hostile alliance of no less than five princedoms and won the hand of the beautiful young Queen Sharleyan of Chisholm. Cayleb and Sharleyan have created the Charisian Empire, the greatest nava ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Mighty Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mighty Fortress

Chris Perrin
I am of two minds on this book. Let's start with the good.

Let me say with no hesitation that had I never read any Honor Harrington books, I would be the Safehold series' biggest fan. It has action, politics, characters to cheer for, villians who are villians not because they are eeeevil, but because they have a different (though understandable) viewpoint.

So, if you haven't read Honor Harrington, stop readig this review right now and go buy the entire Safehold series.

Sadly, I have read pretty muc
Group_Captain_Lionel_Mandrake
A lot of talky-talk, very little plot. Talk about sound and fury signifying nothing! Geez, Weber get on with the story, already. Too many characters. How come every other word is spelled properly EXCEPT for characters names? Would it have been asking too much for Zhamsyn Clyntahn to be Jamison Clinton or Hauwered Wylsyn to be Howard Wilson? For Pete's sake it is hard enough to break through 800 some odd pages of this book to get to the other side, and to have to pay a bunch of money for it, but ...more
Louis
In this book Weber continues the Safehold series where he is able to go back to the ship battles of old. The problem is that in this book he is dealing more with the description of the politics than in the action. Basically the balance is way off. Part of the problem is the increased number of people that are being tracked. In the past books in the series, he dealt with four of five players as they interacted with secondary ones (even if in some cases those secondaries were more important in the ...more
Jeffrey
Apr 27, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If your into the series only
Shelves: read-in-2010
Boring. Two little plot advancement, too little science, a lot of talking. Feels like the last few Weber books in the Honor Harrington series, and I do not mean that in a good way.

Weber devotes a lot of time to discussing the bad guys and their strategy. He also devotes a lot of time to the Prime Directive. In other words, how much do we tell the natives about the powerful Merlin in their midst. Lost in this 600 pages is the original story of how Merlin advances science.

Now the only seeming scie
Guy
Overlong given the paucity of plot advancement and character development, frankly the book could have used a rigorous edit. By this time in the series we know most of the major characters and the issues they are wrestling with well enough so as not to need additional detailed exposés of what they think and why they do and don't do things and what the implications of minor events are. Weber would be well-advised to concentrate on advancing the plot while providing detailed exposition only of the ...more
Alistair
This is the fourth book in what must turn out to be a never ending series of "Safehold" novels from Weber. The size and scope of the Safehold world and the increasing cast of charaters introduced by Weber, and the authors own sometimes cumbersome writing style (why use one word when you can use three) insurers that this book at over 700 pages does not move the overall plot along very much.

This is the problem, I am not sure at this point what the end game is in this series of books....is it the o
Shannon
BEWARE: I DON'T THINK I PUT IN SPOILERS, BUT SINCE I'M A BIT HAZY AS TO WHAT THEY ARE, I MIGHT BE WRONG!
This is the 4th book in the saga. So much to like about it, but some stuff that gets in the way of rapture. For an Honor Harrington fan, it does not disappoint. Whereas the Honorverse deals in political ideological themes attached to a kind of female Horatio Hornblower in space, the Safeholdian universe deals in another version of grand mariner saga, only this time, the ideological themes rel
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Safehold military science fiction series that blends high tech with early 19th century weapons. It's a war of David and Goliath proportions pitting the valiant Empire of Charis against the might and power of a corrupt Church.

My Take
It's all so reasonable with Green Valley thrilled to be blending his marines with the Chisholmian army---their soldiers have taken Green Valley's tactical ideas and absorbed and improved them. Cayleb is insisting that Chisholmians are treated exactly the
Lindsay Stares
This series seriously needs a “Last Time, On Safehold...” prologue. I'm not going to re-read, or even re-skim, one or more additional 600-plus page doorstops to reorient myself in preparation for reading this one. This is part four, incidentally, of what seems to now be shaping up to be Arthurian motifs plus Protestant Reformation plus Industrial Revolution plus Interminable Boring Warfare, In Space.

After the action pace of By Heresies Distressed, A Mighty Fortress felt like filler. Not much hap
Elizabeth Galewski
Why do I read these Safehold books?!?! Unlike the Honor Harrington series, in which Weber held me rapt with an increasingly complicated and humanized protagonist, these books feature a robot who doesn't evolve or grow. And I often get the sense that nothing much actually happens in a given volume of this series. Yet I still tend to queue the next one up when I'm done with the last. And at times, I even act as though I am addicted to them.

Perhaps I just like the violent battle scenes. These are u
John
I like a lot of what DW does, but the editing on this one is terrible. Corisande and Charis are not the same place, and there were several other places where names did not get cleaned up properly.

Also this series is getting bogged down in moving the fleets and the plot from place to place. The world would be just as enjoyable, or actually more enjoyable to read about if it were about half as large as it seems to be.

Some great ideas, but this story needs to speed up or end.
Emily Karn
Oct 22, 2014 Emily Karn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi/Military Fans
Not yet thirty years old, young Cayleb Ahrmahk has accomplished things few people could even dream of. He's smashed a hostile alliance of five princedoms and won the hand of the beautiful Queen Sharelyan of Chisolm, toghether they have created the Charisian Empire, the greatest naval power in the history of Safehold, and they've turned Charis into a place of refuge for all who treasure freedom.

But their success may prove short-lived. the clique that controls the Church of God Awaiting, and throu
Lisa
The excellent and intelligent plot is weighed down by needless repetitive analysis. The reader gets the benefit of one hero's experience with a list of potential scenarios, only to be bombarded by the same set of scenarios from three other characters' perspectives. All of the players conveniently come to the same conclusions, and Weber's feeble attempts to create mystery and suspense by inserting plot ellipses (though he also has plenty of literal ones in his dialogues) end up failing miserably. ...more
Ben
Very much what readers of Weber have come to expect from both his Honor Harrington and Safehold series, which have a fair amount in common. There are definitely some good parts to the book - particularly towards the end, where things warm up somewhat. Weber does a great job of describing battles as usual, and this installment is a logical chapter in the series, taking place over about a year.

On the other hand, it had been a while since I read the last the one and the large amount of characters -
Steven Cole
Weber continues his "Safehold" series with "The Mighty Fortress." The reader is returned to the world of Safehold, where the "good guys" of the Charisian Empire continue their struggle against the "bad guys" of, essentially, the rest of the planet.

There was lots of politics in this novel, as the Charisians deal with an insurgency in Corisande, and with the fact that the Holy Lands finally start getting some military decisions right. Normally, I love the descriptions of battles in Weber's books,
John Hill
First of all, if you have not read any on the books in the series, do not start here, or anywhere other than the beginning. There is too much going on and too much to understand for this to be the type of series where you can just jump into the middle, and figure things out as you go along.

Ok, now that the disclaimer is out of the way I can get down to the nitty gritty of reviewing this novel.

I am a big Safehold fan. The series has been my big introduction to Weber as I'm only about three novels
Queldroma
Physically the book looks large, but in truth it is not as daunting as it may seem. The story is both simple and complex, simple in that not much happens to consider this only as a singular story. It contains a lot of intrigue and politics are woven carefully through the events of the story. However they all hint to a larger story and events to come, that are unfortunately not in this book. The book is complex in the sheer number characters the reader has to keep track of.( I think I counted 21 ...more
JBradford
I think I’ve made it pretty clear in earlier reviews that I am a great fan of David Webber and also of this Safehold series, and this has to be the best so far, which is why I broke down and gave it a 5-star rating, which I do not normally do for fiction. I read the previous novel in the series last week, and I had to go on to this one right away. This is book 4 in the series, and I believe I have a copy of the sequel somewhere in the house, but I cannot find it and it is driving me crazy! So mu ...more
AndrewP
Overall I give this one three stars. Like the other books in this series, there are some great parts, and some really boring parts which kind of average out my opinion. It's a hefty book, so I'm rather glad that I listened to it on audiobook. To actually push through reading some of the less interesting parts would have been a struggle.

My main complaint about this book is that it doesn't advance the overall story that much. No new lands invaded, nor any huge battles. There are a couple of action
Allisyn
A Mighty Fortress is the fourth book in David Weber's Safehold series. The premise for the series in definitely intriguing: after a devastating space battle with an alien race, the last vestiges of human civilization form a colony and their leaders alter memories to create devotion to a religion that glorifies those leaders, demonizes their political enemies, and holds the colony at a low technological level. Nine hundred years later, an android body containing the mind of one of the original cr ...more
Jay
Really, 2.5 stars [re-calibrated, now that I've done some more reviews -- May 28]

I'm pretty sure that David Weber is a popular author with a following that will purchase anything he writes. As a result, this author and his publishers seem to be sliding into producing MPUs (Minimum Publishing Units).

I'm also going to guess that a large book can be sold for more than a small one, and that the author gets paid more, too. So expect a novella trying to burst out of 700 pages.

If you are not yet a Webe
Liviu
The 4th installment of the superb Safehold series goes back to the intensity of the first two volumes, with lots of quotable lines, jaw-dropping moments and powerful emotional ones.

The ending is similarly emotional to the one in OAR though I have to say that the book is more like BSRA in the sense that it opens a new arc but not closes it. I heard the series is planned to go 10 volumes, so who knows maybe the next volume will close its first part, maybe not..

It's hard to talk more about the book
Jim
Whew! A very big, big book. This was the fourth in the Safehold series and it was just like the rest, very, very, very detailed as to characters and the things they interact with. I don't sail but after reading this book, I could probably say some strange sailing words that would sound like I knew what I was talking about.

The story continues with the Empire of Charis attempting to confirm all the lands they have conquered so far. I like the main characters and how they interact, but there are so
Josh
A strong 4th entry in the Safehold series. Some of the military/naval tactics sections make my eyes glaze over a bit and I do find myself scanning through those faster than is realistically possible for serious comprehension, but they haven't been excessive.

The integration of technology and expansion of the circle of people who know the truth about the world, the Church, and "Merlin" is particularly well-handled. Weber does a very good job of showing how even if you have advanced knowledge, you
Charlie George
There are a couple more epic naval battles - especially entertaining is the last 15 pages, when High Admiral Lock Island finally unleashes the most recently invented Charisian weapon on the Navy of God. But Christ, is it ever a long, slow slog through the other 600 pages. Here is a recommendation to easily find the battles, which can be a challenge in 3600 pages - they have 1 to 3 section breaks per page, as opposed to 1 section break every 3 to 5 pages.

I'm going to keep reading this series beca
Alex
OK... I just finished "How Firm a Foundation" book 5 of the Safehold series. I really enjoyed it.

The story takes a different focus. Now it is the story of assassinations and the invention of the terrorist bomb. The Inquisitor (Clinton :-)) of the Church of God Awaiting has completely gone off his nut. He is arresting people left and right, cutting out their tongues and then "putting the question to them" and torturing them because they can't answer. It's pretty rough but a lot of bright spots.

Qu
Greg
Jan 01, 2011 Greg rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
Great book in the series. The only thing I wish is that we'd get more faster! ;)

This is the fist book I've read on my kindle (that I just got for XMas) and I don't know if it's a Kindle thing of book thing, but there were a number of "word" issues in the story, words broken up where they shouldn't be. For example "budget" was very often "bud get". And it seemed to be the same words thoughout the book. Bugdet (bud get), warehouse (ware house), independent (in de pen dent), decades (de cades), dep
Gigiabob
Tim Gray
I always enjoy David Weber's work - and have enjoyed the Honourverse books for some time, then come late to the Safehold series. as ever he weaves together multiple plots, celebrates the navy and marines whilst covering religious issues as well. Probably the slight weakness for me compared with Honour Harrington is that Merlin Athrawes is not quite such a strong centrepiece character. Having said that, it's a great read and I'll keep goinfg with the series to see where he is heading.
Rapidio
I guess I'm some kind of dunderhead, but I had never even heard of David Weber before I spied a copy of (Off Armageddon Reef) at the library. Not a huge science fistion fan in the 1st place, I was intrigued enough to take it home and as instantly hooked. Though slow in spots and the spelling of the names can be jarring enough to bounce you right out of the story at times, I have persevered through all four volumes. I do not consider this time wasted. Weber's writing is what it is and I don't see ...more
David Weber's Saf...: Safehold Steamships 1 1 Aug 06, 2012 02:57PM
  • Citadel (Troy Rising, #2)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Destiny's Shield (Belisarius, #3)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)