Start by marking “A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)

A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)

Fey incursions into the mortal world have been on the rise, and Paul MacAllister's trying to figure out what the king of the local Elven enclave Under the Hill is up to and how to stop it. Rory Ellison was caught up in one of those attacks and nearly killed by a gang of goblins. He doesn't believe they were real, though, and is resisting anything Paul might say to the cont ...more
Published (first published May 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Hidden Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hidden Magic

M
3.8

That cover does nothing for this book. It's ambiguous in the worst way, because this is actually a very awesome urban fantasy story about a team of humans or "Sentinels", who protect the mortal realm from things that go bump in the night. It's not particularly original or sexy, but it was consistently engaging and the characters were compelling. I am very much going to read the rest of the series.
Deanna
Jul 28, 2010 Deanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

FINALLY an urban fantasy m/m book instead of paranormal erotica. It was like a breath of fresh air. I love these characters, I love the way the magic works, I love the mix of harmful and mostly not evil fey creatures.

But I think I love this book mostly for things it DOESN'T have. There is no instalove, no super hot gym studs, no big misunderstanding plot device. The characters are really normal (except for that whole fighting goblins thing!).
Mandapanda
3.5 stars. I'm on a real fantasy kick at the moment so this paranormal M/M romance, heavy with Fae lore and dastardly creatures was just the thing. Rory has been medicated and treated all his life for seeing things that aren't there. This has left him a lonely misfit. Enter Paul and his friends, a group of mortal Sentinels who use their varying degrees of magical power to keep humans safe from the nasty fae. They rescue Rory from certain death and he realises that all the things he saw were real ...more
Eden Winters
I laughed, I hung on the edge of my seat, I laughed some more, I spewed coffee on my keyboard, I stayed up too late reading. Angela Benedetti brought all the characters of A Hidden Magic to glorious technicolor life, spinning a yarn that had me turning page after page, ignoring all else to find out what happened next.

What a fantastic bit of world-building, in which magic exists in all humans -- moreso in some than in others -- and fey lurk just outside of our perception. The characters of Rory
Diane
I absolutely loved A Hidden Magic. The world building is so vivid and the characters are so real (or at least as real as mages can get). I adore magical creatures and this book is filled to the brim with them. And the love story is touching too.

The tiny pixie lizard/squirrel Azzy is one of the funniest sidekicks ever written. I’d give the little guy a Milky Way bar anyday! Highly recommended.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
This book was just awesome. I loved reading it. It was fun had great characters and several laughs. I just loved Azzy he was so cute
Elisa Rolle
Aug 03, 2010 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
ttg
Jul 30, 2012 ttg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, reviews
3.5 - 4 stars: An interesting m/m romance/urban fantasy story about Paul, a “sentinel” who works with a team of mortals to use magic to control the fey and other magical beings that invade their world from “under the hill”. As incidents between the magical realm and the human world increase, Paul meets Rory, a young man who is convinced that his history of seeing strange creatures is a mental illness. Little does he know that his ability and those creatures are far more real than he ever expecte ...more
mlady_rebecca
This one definitely grew on me as I read it. I went into it thinking it was primarily about the fey. Turns out it's a mixture between the fey and "magegifted mortals" (think sorcerers) who protect the humans from fey excursions into the human realm.

It's ironic - timing wise - since yesterday I was discussing flavors of urban fantasy and saying how I preferred vampires and werewolves to "magic wielding" preternatural creatures. Couldn't get into Harry Potter or Harry Dresden. Not even particularl
SueM
Apr 17, 2011 SueM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
This is a tricky review for me - there is a lot to like but I found the pacing or the focus to be all over the place. Certainly the concept of magic potential in humans being discussed in genetic terms was interesting, as was the explanation of the various fae. Unfortunately though, I found the dynamics between the two main characters difficult with Rory being almost TSTL, and Paul see-sawing between compassion and carelessness. I found the HFN ending less than convincing given all tha
Kathleen
Aug 05, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, military
I really enjoyed this book. It started a bit slow for me as we get into the world but Angela did a good job with the world building by the end of the book. I like how Paul and Rory didn't just jump into bed with each other. They spent most of the book getting to know each other and building trust. I loved Rory's reaction when they finally (as it seemed to him) came and rescued him (although I would have liked to see Rory's reaction when they told him how little time had passed in the real world) ...more
Brenda Maldonado
"A Hidden Magic" is the first book in the "Sentinels" series, a wonderful story set in a fantasy world were magic and the fey are real. The main characters are varied, engaging and well developed. I love the sentinels and their interactions. What a wonderful band of anti-heroes! The fabulous cast of supporting characters is large but meaningful, well worth the word count. The plot is fast paced, with enough action and humor to keep the reader turning pages non stop with a smile. All in all, scor ...more
P.D. Singer
Jun 14, 2010 P.D. Singer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
A Hidden Magic made me late for work: I *had* to read the ending! I was fully engaged with the story and the characters of this urban fantasy from beginning to end.

A universe where magic exists but not everyone believes has to make for a very active mental health industry, which has caught Rory. He's bought a little too heavily into the idea that what he's seeing isn't real and can be medicated away, an idea that Paul and the other Sentinels have to reverse before it gets him killed. Between Ro
Sam Williams
Aug 25, 2011 Sam Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books i have read in a long time. The characters were so well developed, and the world building was fantastic, i felt like apart of the world, (one of the pixies to be precise :D)

The romance has such perfect balance, that it made me feel giddy inside, wanting to know what was the future for Paul and Rory. And the sentinel team, the love they have for eachother, the jokes and teasing was really amusing and warming to the heart.

The plot was filled with magic and mystical cr
Ayanna
Good-ish, I think. Interesting/weird.

I see a Princess Bride reference!
Actually, it gets really Princess Bride-y towards the end.

It's funny/weird because I live in the Bay Area, so all these locations listed...I've been to most of these places. It's interesting in a Dresden Files sort of way, I guess.

And man. Talk about slow burn.
(view spoiler)
Lillian Francis
Sep 04, 2013 Lillian Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story with great world building that didn't get bogged down in the details. Looking forward to reading more from this world.
Joe DH
May 24, 2016 Joe DH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this short book. A nice pace and characters that are actually believable, with promise of more to follow.

About to start the second book in the series....
Daesy
Hilcia
A Hidden Magic is an excellent beginning to Angela Benedetti's new M/M urban fantasy series. She begins by plunging the reader directly into her world of magic and setting the dark atmosphere that will surround her characters.

Paul McCallister, Cal, Manny and Aubry are members of a Mage Team who use spells and other magic abilities to battle Fey, trolkins, goblins and other magical creatures who come "topside" to steal magic from humans and banish them back to Under the Hill where they belong. Th
Cole Riann
Angela Benedetti’s A Hidden Magic was a breath of fresh air for me. I love paranormals and fantasy, but usually they seem to be pieces of a few famous fantasy worlds cobbled together — not very original. Not here. This story took me by surprise and I found myself happily immersed in this unique universe that seemed to flow naturally from one page to the next. Before I started reading M/M, I used to read popular YA paranormals and many of them were about the Fey, in all different manifestations. ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I was almost going to put the book down, but when Rory appeared, it immediately caught my interest and I read the book in one go.

Rory thinks he is psychotic because he sees things that shouldn't exist. He tries everything not to excite his imaginative brain, but one day that doesn't seem enough, as he is attacked by goblins. Luckily a friend of his comes to the rescue and Rory finds himself in a group of people who insist that what he sees is true. One of them, Paul, who's the leader of the Sent
Jess
Aug 11, 2011 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.

I had alot of trouble reading this story but I cannot really put into words why. It is a bit slow to develop BUT there was an interesting plot. The relationship was slow to build BUT I like each character individually.

I liked the world building but I think a little bit more explaining could have been done earlier on, I was left feeling a bit impatient because I didnt understand stuff.

I also thought that the story should have had another chapter or two at the end... (view spoiler)
Alaska
The writing was good and the world building solid. I liked the ideas about magic and the fey and Underhill. What made me give it 3 stars was the slow development or rather the no-development. Between the part where something actually happens there is a lot of down time. Discussion, explanations, arguments, stuff that could be interesting but is just really dragging the reader's attention away. I missed a golden thread.
Although I am a fan of slow burn this was too slow. In fact, there was just sl
Mandi
Apr 08, 2011 Mandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The magic and fae were fascinating. The romance build up was great (I'm not really a huge fan of 'insta-love', so this was perfect!). My only complaint is that I wanted more Rory and Paul together! I'm hoping there will be another book featuring them sometime in the future.

ETA - Still a great reread. Glad the author continued the series since the ending was kinda...meh after all that great action!
Don Bradshaw
I found this story a little light on action. I was expecting more magic and fighting between the fey and the sentinels. Both Rory and Paul were very difficult to become invested in which may have been their dominance in the story. The world building was good and the story flowed fairly well with only a few hiccups. I just expected more after reading the rave reviews.
djeterg19
Jul 30, 2011 djeterg19 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, loved this book! Took me a little while to get into it, but, once I acclimated to the world, it was fantastic. It was a nice twist on the traditional magical world. Cannot wait for more in this world. I definitely recommend it!
Andrea
Dec 24, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free from Torque during their December giveaway. It's a great story with engaging characters. Not a lot of romance or sex but just enough to satisfy. I enjoyed it so much I bought the next 2 and hope she'll write more. No cliffhanger, just a very good book with characters you want more of.
Indigo
Apr 03, 2011 Indigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
Really intriguing woeld building and fascinating interpretation of fairies, elves and other fey characters. So hoping for a second book (or even more) in this universe!
Victoria
An intriguing urban fantasy, with action, great characters, and well paced relationship development.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hero
  • Galen and the Forest Lord
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Dreamlands (Dreamlands #1)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
  • Blind Desire
  • The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Touching Evil
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • The Recalling of John Arrowsmith (A Strange Place in Time, #1)
  • Hell Cop
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Finn (Endangered Fae #1)
  • Wishbone
  • Dark Designs
  • Finder Tolan
  • Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)

Sentinels (3 books)
  • Emerging Magic (Sentinels #2)
  • Captive Magic (Sentinels #3)