The Collected Poems, 1956-1998

The Collected Poems, 1956-1998

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  43 reviews
This outstanding new translation brings a uniformity of voice to Zbigniew Herbert's entire poetic output, from his first book of poems, String of Light, in 1956, to his final volume, previously unpublished in English, Epilogue Of the Storm. Collected Poems: 1956-1998, as Joseph Brodsky said of Herbert's SSelected Poems, is "bound for a much longer haul than any of us can a...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Ecco Press (first published 1998)

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
172nd out of 1,310 books — 1,470 voters
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot DíazHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael ChabonThe Nine by Jeffrey ToobinThe Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta
New York Times 100 Notable Books of 2007
17th out of 100 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

s.penkevich
Feb 15, 2012 s.penkevich rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Drinkers of words
Recommended to s.penkevich by: The writings of Czeslaw Miłosz
Shelves: poetry, polish
’At night the poet builds
a paradise for his dead

Born from the suffering and slaughter of his countrymen under the totalitarian rule of both the Nazi’s and the Communists alike, Zbigniew Herbert, the Polish born warrior of words, inks out powerful testimonies to the human race. To read Herbert is to join him, hand in hand, on his ’long walks down avenues of burned houses and broken glass’ as he pays homage to the fallen and tries to squeeze bright drops of hope from the darkness. Herbert writes...more
Peycho Kanev
The poet Robert Hass calls him “one of the most influential European poets of the last half-century, … an ironist and a minimalist who writes as if it were the task of the poet, in a world full of loud lies, to say what is irreducibly true in a level voice.” Stephen Stepanchev describes Herbert as “a witness to his time,” and Stephen Miller calls him a political poet whose “subdued and casual” poems “shun both hysteria and apocalyptic intensity.”
Zbigniew Herbert is an avant-garde poet whose exp...more
Dylan Popowicz
A beautiful collection of poetry that bleeds open like a window to the life that sits behind the words. I am in no fair position to judge the translation of the work, but the work in-itself, separate from comparison with the original, rings true as a subtle but profound human expression.

Although the whole book is worth its labour in reading, it is the mid-section that conceals the peak of poetical prowess; starting with Mr. Cogito. Here the real insistence on deploring the world and it dehumani...more
Clare Bear
I cheated, and have read alot of his verse online and in anthologies.

Here's one I love:

or about death

only blind taste
and mute touch
used to run between us
when we absorbed in ourselves
we lay close

I caught sight of

branches
a bird
a house
by a lake great and silent

but there
on a g...more
Michael
the best poetry ever written
Petya Kokudeva
Веднъж един чудесен български писател ми каза, че като попорасна, вече няма да имам такъв стресиращ проблем със субективността в литературата (какъвто аз имам: нали всичко е субективно, значи всичко може да е и добро, когато очевидно не е:). Та каза, че ще се науча с времето да разпознавам интуитивно (и не само) качественото. Винаги, като чета Херберт, имам чувството, че ей сега, в рамките на секундата, пораствам и съм внезапно уверена, че да!,ей го качеството - в цял ръст. И никакъв субективизъ...more
Nadxieli Mannello
I really dig this guy, and not only because he looks like a Polish Frank Sinatra on the cover of this book. Here's an excerpt (though they're not all this short, humorous, or prose-y):

"Dwarfs"
Dwarfs grow in the forest. They have a peculiar smell and white beards. They appear alone. If a cluster of them could be gathered, dried, and hung over the door--we might have some peace.
christopher leibow
I am loving the depth and breadth of this collection, Herbert is independent, brilliant, ironic, wary, a bit conetmptuous, and pained. Lovely
John
Nov 16, 2009 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Valles' translations don't quite stand up to Carpenters' or Milosz's but many or most of the poems aren't available by the Carpenters or Milosz.
Luna Miguel
Me han gustado, sobre todo, sus poemas en prosa. Es brillante, al tiempo que áspero. Pero es esa aspereza la que lo hace distinto. Muy bien.
Amorak Huey
So good.

The prose poems especially.

Wisdom and wit.
Rachel C.
Okay, that's probably a lifetime's worth of Polish poetry for me. I feel wholly inadequate to evaluate the merits of Herbert's poetry; mostly I just let it wash over me. Sometimes the word choice seemed a bit overly academic but I couldn't tell if that was due to the translation.

The Stars' Chosen Ones

"That's a poet
not an angel

he has no wings
just a plumed
right hand"

[first five lines]

Meditations on Father

"His face menacing in a cloud over the waters of childhood
(so seldom he held my warm head in h
Sienna
Hello and welcome to the longest review I have ever written, with apologies: read it in bits, as I wrote it, as I read and re-read this collection over a period of four months.

##

July 31, 2012

Almost exactly fourteen years ago, I sat in the sun-drenched backyard of the woman who had introduced me to Zbigniew Herbert and read his obituary in the New York Times. It was a strange sensation: with the help of the best English teacher ever, I spent the summer after graduating high school revising a terr...more
Caroline
Complex poems; most need several readings. But they are written by a poet who is exploring a complex and very dark world around him, not one writing self-absorbed confessional or abstract language poetry. My favorites are the Mr. Cogito poems, for their somewhat whimsical gloss on serious reflections. The early poems are interesting for completeness, but Herbert seems to really find his voice in the third book, Study of the Object. Its short prose poems, which I usually don't like, are wonderful...more
Amy
Mar 09, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History of Love lovers
The only thing I can say is that reading this book filled me with such gorgeous, conflicted thoughts that I could not put it down. His readiness to revise and interpret the immense tragedy and joy of living reflects itself in his poetry's stillness. Not stillness in the boring sense, but the stillness that contemplation demands. Each word is fraught with something I cannot define, so perhaps it is simply enough to say that I read it, I loved it, and recommend it to anyone who wants to feel and t...more
Justin Evans
So far I've read only Mr Cogito, from 1974, but I feel comfortable saying that it's one of the better books of late twentieth century poetry I've read. Harder--not more difficult, harder--than a Milosz, more intellectual and open to the world (the actual world, I mean, i.e., other people, ideas, history etc) than the current crop of American chamomile tea sipping navel-gazers, but eminently readable? Yes, that's more or less my ideal for poetry. Recommended for anyone who's ever tried to read, o...more
Bryan
Herbert's poetry can be challenging to read sometimes, but is worth the effort. There are gems in this collection. His works range from profound to humorous. He writes in a free verse style entirely devoid of punctuation in most cases. He also writes some prose poems, which are also excellent.
Matt
This is the most complete collection in English of one of the great Polish poets. Most initial reviews expressed some problems with the translations, and there is the definite sense that it's not as well translated as previous small collections of his work. However, the translations are still quite good, and this collection includes a great many poems not previously available to an English-speaking audience.
Jeffrey
I bought this book after much resistance; I loved the Carpenter translations, and didn't want them messed with by someone new. But I'm going to try this; one can never have too much of Herbert's poems. He is one of perhaps five of the most important poets of the latter 20th century--this may understate his importance. I love him.

The pic on the cover is the best author photo I've seen.
Roy
Remarkable poet, even in translation--which seems special. Great culture and awareness (a classical taste and sensibility) measured and conditioned by the horrors of living under Nazi and Soviet occupation as a youth and young man. The delicate brutality and brutal delicacy of his poetic 'touch' is astounding and true to the horror-rode heart of the 20th century.
Michael
I would give this five stars, but some critics claim these are relatively inferior translations. (Relative, that is, to the Carpenters' translations, which seem to be hard to find.)

I don't know Polish, and I haven't read the Carpenter translations, so I don't know. I liked this book.

Cassandra Kay Silva
Magnificent! Such a beautiful collection, Cogito I feel that I know you! Some of these were extremely memorable, the professor turning into a bug, the spinning over Nefertiti's head, lots of buttons, eyelids and nails. What more could you want from poetry than this? I loved it!
Ezra
why have i never heard of zbigniew herbert before? picked this up browsing in powells and its setting a new bar for historically-inclined, feel-bad euro-angst. awesome, right? it makes me forget the difference between humans and objects, light and dirt... that kind of stuff.
Kristi
Nukrad, naljakad, traagilised sõnaosavad luuletused, mis peaaegu nagu polegi luule - pigem pisikesed lood.. hästi ütleb raamatu lõpusõna autorist: Herbert otsis filosoofiast emotsioone ja luulest ideid. Sellest kogumikust leiab mõlemaid, hulganisti.
Matt McBride
I had a lot of friends mention that this translation was not good, which kind of drove me crazy since this judgment wasn't based on their knowledge of Polish, but the NYT review. Whatever the politics behind getting this book out, he's a beautiful poet.
Sandy
I loved the first books in this collection--up through Mr. Cogito--I'd give these a 5, but the last 4 books were slim pickings. How could the author of "Armchairs" and "Church Mouse" write such unimaginative poems?
Megan
An illuminated manuscript without pictures. "Five Men" should be required reading for all college LIT. students or even better, for anyone who chooses to talk out loud, ever.
Helen
I was handed this book of poetry a couple days ago and I love it more than I can really remember loving any book of poetry.
Katrinka
There are some brilliant poems in here; in general, the Mr. Cogito selections felt the strongest.
  • Without End: New and Selected Poems
  • The Selected Poetry
  • Collected Poems in English
  • Modern Life
  • Elegy
Zbigniew Herbert was a Polish poet, essayist, drama writer, author of plays, and moralist. He is one of the best known and the most translated post-war Polish writers.
More about Zbigniew Herbert...
Mr Cogito Barbarian In The Garden Selected Poems Elegy For The Departure Still Life with a Bridle: Essays and Apocryphas

“A craftsman must probe to the very bottom of cruelty.” 3 likes