Start by marking “The Stone Traveler” as Want to Read:
The Stone Traveler

The Stone Traveler

Sixteen-year-old Tag can’t believe he’s in this much trouble. He’s not actually a member of the gang known as the Primes — all he did was spray paint some graffiti that caught their attention. In all honesty, ever since his dad and brother left, Tag just wants to be alone. And it’s certainly not his fault that the Primes nearly beat up his goofy cousin, Ethan. But his mom ...more
Paperback
Published 2010 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Traveler

Laurie
Sep 27, 2010 Laurie rated it really liked it
THE STONE TRAVELER
By Kathi Oram Peterson

Kathi Oram Peterson understands the challenges and triumphs of youth. In The Stone Traveler, she has not only created a troubled youth from our day, she has created a cast of enchanting characters from 34 AD Meso-America who are beset by the concerns of their own complex time. When the dubious actions of our main character, 16-year-old Tag Quincy, catapult him back two thousand years into young leader, Sabirah’s ancient land, both come to discover that dan
Linda Clarke
Nov 30, 2010 Linda Clarke rated it it was amazing
The Stone Traveler begins in ancient America 33 AD. Sabirah is a 19-year-old Lamanite warrior who has her own army. She is respected by her men and is a great leader. She is watching and waiting for a man who is a traitor to her people. He must be stopped and she has a plan how to capture him. At this time, there is much turmoil between the believers and nonbelievers. Her followers, the men who joined her army, are believers of God and will fight for their rights.

Sabirah is described as an Amaz
Ali Cross
Sep 05, 2010 Ali Cross rated it really liked it
There is a favorite literary device used in LDS literature--time travel to Book of Mormon times. Thing is, it's a favorite for a reason. Those lands are so rich in our scriptures that it's natural for writers to want to set stories set there.

What makes The Stone Traveler, however, is not the time traveling, but the characters.

Peterson does a great job building all the characters, particularly those from the ancient days--including Jesus, the Three Nephites. I didn't, however, love the voice of
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Aug 31, 2010 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it it was amazing
Tag is a frustrated teenage boy rebelling in his own, quiet ways. He has unanswered questions about his past and his missing father and brother. After a misunderstanding about his behavior, he's sent to spend the summer with his grandfather and annoying cousin. A seemingly chance encounter with three men sends him off on an adventure that will change his life.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I couldn't wait to get back to it each time I had to set it aside. Tag is a great, likeable kid. His expe
Shannon
Jun 20, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Tag is getting in trouble left and right. Things have changed ever since his dad and brother left. He looks like a rebel, but in reality he's not doing much of anything wrong. However, when he saves his cousin from gang members, his cousin snitches on him, for things he didn't even do. Soon Tag ends up at his grandfather's home for the summer, and his cousin Ethan is there too. Tag takes off but runs into some mysterious men. When he 'borrows' a strange looking stone from them, he's suddenly bac ...more
Sep 07, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I read Kathi's previous Book of Mormon time-traveler story, so I knew I was going to enjoy this one, and I wasn't at all disappointed. Tag wears makeup and black clothes because he wants a little rebellion, but not enough to actually get into trouble (if you don't count his, um, efforts at giving beautiful artwork to the community, aka vandalism). He's a good kid making decisions that could easily take him somewhere he doesn't want to be. Then he re-appropriates the strange glowing stone and fin ...more
Sep 23, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I was caught up in Tag’s character from the beginning. Despite the poor choices he was making, it was easy to sympathize with him, making his character very relatable. The descriptions and world-building were excellent and brought the various settings to life, whether we were in modern-day or Mesoamerica. The Stone Traveler is a compelling read with plenty of action, intrigue, and most importantly, an ending that will touch your heart.

For full review, go here:
Tenille
Sep 20, 2010 Tenille rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-books
Historic fiction/ sci fi book. I really like the historic fiction that give me glimpses of what it was really like back then... cultures, scenery, customs, how wicked the wicked really were.
This one is about a troubled teenage boy who steals a stone that takes him back in time to help samuel the lamanites daughter rescue her brother and father from the wicked king. I liked it more than I thought I would.
Cheri
Aug 24, 2010 Cheri rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
This is a book that teens will enjoy reading. Tag Quincy is a teenager that is headed in the wrong direction he wears a dog collar around his neck, black lipstick and black fingernail polish, his Mom can't handle him any more and sends him to his Grandpa's to live. What will happen to Tag when he finds himself back at the time in the Book of Mormon when Christ is getting ready to come?
MaryKay
What a fun story. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started to read this book and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not completely realistic, but it's not meant to be. The spirit in it is very real and inspiring. This is the second book I've read by Ms. Peterson and both have included a youth coming to terms with a significant loss and their own faith.
Lorraine
Oct 02, 2015 Lorraine rated it really liked it
A nifty little combination of adventure, time travel, and the Book of Mormon. Very unusual for me. I loved the journey Tag makes - most significantly his inner battles and growth. I really liked this book!
Gregory Lemon
Jul 28, 2011 Gregory Lemon rated it really liked it
A good example of Teen-focused LDS-Lit. The time travel to Book of Mormon times was handled well. I sometimes got lost when switching between the two first-person point of view characters. However it made the story richer as they had different experiences through their adventures.

I recommend it.
Vicki
Nov 26, 2010 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
I really loved this book. It was exciting,interesting and faith affirming. I was reminded of my testimony of the Savior. It was also surprising and things happened that I did not expect. Thank you for a great read!
Oct 01, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I love reading these books that make the book of Mormon so much more personal. Kathi Oram Peterson Did a great job at making this book enjoyable While spiritual and introspective. I think my daughters will like this one as well.
Gloria
Sep 09, 2012 Gloria rated it really liked it
Very interesting as you put yourself in this teenagers shoes and how he goes back in time. Made me want to go and read/reread accounts of what happens in the Book of Mormon to see how it compared with the story.
Cozette R
Jul 22, 2014 Cozette R rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book! It is a story about a boy that is struggling in life. He happens upon some men that have a special stone that transports him back to Book of Mormon times.
Kate
Sep 17, 2011 Kate added it
Shelves: abandoned
One of my fourth graders recommended I read this book, and let me borrow it from her. I look forward to reading it.
Jenny
Oct 19, 2010 Jenny rated it it was ok
There were parts of this book that I thought were pretty good. There were others that I didn't like.
Kellie
Apr 08, 2013 Kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I thought this was a great book, it is about the boy that travels back to an olden time. It is kinda related to book of Mormon times. I reccomend that all of you read this. I loved it.
Cheryl
Oct 15, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
If you havent read this it a very good book expecially for those boys and girls that like to travel within the book its great
Lisa
Jan 14, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Very entertaining book. I wasn't so into it the first 30 pages but once it got going, I really enjoyed. I highly recommend it!
Debbie
Apr 14, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. It would be interesting to go back in time and be with the Nephites when Jesus came to visit them.
Patricia
Mar 06, 2013 Patricia rated it it was ok
Basically, I scan-read this from start to finish. I forced myself to finish it to see how it ended. Normally, if I finish a book, I give it two stars, regardless. So that is what I am doing here.
Olivia
Dec 05, 2010 Olivia rated it really liked it
It was a good book that compared modern day to Book of Mormon times. It really made me realize how much the Book of Mormon stories can impact our life. The very end was the best part!
M R
M R rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Shelli N
Shelli N rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Kailie
Kailie rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2010
Debbie C.
Debbie C. rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Emily F
Emily F rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Sarnic Dirchi
Sarnic Dirchi rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)
  • The Fourth Nephite (The Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • Abish: Daughter of God: A Novel
  • Altered State
  • Tower of Strength
  • The Hidden Branch
  • The Road Show
  • The Ball's in Her Court
  • Secret Sisters (Secret Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Dark Sky at Dawn
  • All the Stars in Heaven
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Methods of Madness
  • Eyes Like Mine
  • Echoes
  • Santa Maybe
  • Tranquil Light (The Dickens Inn, #4)