Start by marking “Death's Excellent Vacation” as Want to Read:
Death's Excellent Vacation

Death's Excellent Vacation (Night Huntress Universe #4.5)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  7,949 ratings  ·  680 reviews

CHRISTOPHER GOLDEN • CHRIS GRABENSTEIN • CHARLAINE HARRIS
TONI L. P. KELNER • KATIE MacALISTER • A. LEE MARTINEZ
SHARAN NEWMAN • LILITH SAINTCROW • SARAH SMITH
DANIEL STASHOWER

Because everyone—and everything—needs a break from the routine, Cha
Published August 3rd 2010 by Ace (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Death's Excellent Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Excellent Vacation

Tatiana
I am back to reading only the stories by the authors I know and like in anthologies, after my recent (yet again failed) attempt to read an anthology in its entirety. Thus the rating and review are for Charlaine Harris's story Two Blondes only.

Pam suddenly invites Sookie on a weekend getaway to enjoy some gambling while running an "errand" for Eric - which, of course, means Sookie's telepathic powers will be put to use (Is it just me, but it seems Sookie is used by Eric left and right?) What foll
AH
Here are a few things that I did like about this anthology:

1) Each author had a short introductory paragraph outlining their biography and their work. What a great idea. I now have a few authors to look into.

2) The vacation theme was kind of fun. I liked all the different takes on vacation stories.

3) There was a nice mix of authors. I recognized Jeaniene Frost, Charlaine Harris, and Katie MacAlister. The rest were new to me authors and some I will definitely look up.

My favorite stories in this a
♥ Sarah ♥
Two Blondes by Charlaine Harris: (3.5 stars)
(Sookie Stackhouse, #10.1)
I actually liked this Sookie novella better than some others I've read. I have only read the first Sookie book and I didn't like it that much so didn't continue the series. But, I may in the future.

In this story Sookie and her vampire friend Pam go on a vacay to Las Vegas. They have a little errand to do for Eric though while they're there, so it's not all fun and games. When the errand they have to do gets a little crazy, the
M—
I picked up this collection solely for the new Sookie Stackhouse story, but I found quite a few stories in here that I enjoyed.

Recommended:
Two Blondes by Charlaine Harris | The Sookie story; Sookie and Pam go to a strip club. As strippers.

The Boys Go Fishing by Sarah Smith | Great story about aging superheros. Fabulous.

Meanwhile, Far Across the Caspian Sea by Daniel Stashower | Researcher is recruited to shadow conspiracy. Good, but the ending falls a little flat.

The Innsmouth Nook by A. Lee Mar
FlibBityFLooB
It's kind of sad that I judge an anthology as successful when I enjoyed 5/13 of the stories in it. I've had such rotten luck in the past with anthologies, that I usually lower my expectations going into the book.

Favorite stories in this anthology for me:

- Sookie story -- Two Blondes
Pam and Sookie take a vacation together. Quite a setup ;) I love Sookie Stackhouse and I was happy with this story. Plus, even though Eric isn't really in the story, we got plenty of Eric-love. Yay!

- Bones/Cat story
Sandra
Two Blondes - Charlaine Harris - (Sookie Stackhouse #10.1) - Sookie and Pam head off to the riverboat casinos to mix business with some fun. DNF - I can't go on with this charade anymore. Sookie annoys the crap outta me. Ms. Harris' writing is slow and tedious with innumerable mundane details about clothes, cleaning, and other bullshit I don't care about it. I just have no interest what even happens to these people anymore.

The Boys Go Fishing - Sarah Smith - A crotchety old superhero's lonely ex
Jennifer Rayment
Two Blondes by Charlaine Harris -4/5: Fun story with Sookie and my favorite character Pam. As soon as I knew Pam was going to be in story, knew I would like it. One character that is awesome in both the books and the TV show.

"Somehow, I got the feeling you really didn't think enough of humans to want to claim one as a friend." (Sookie)

"You're not as intolerable as most," Pam said Lightly

The Boys Go Fishing by Sarah Smith - 3/5: This one didn't do it for me. Found myself confused with what was g
Heather Tisdale
There were three good stories, a lot of mediocre ones, and one or two bad ones.

C. Harris - This was her best short story so far. Normally I'm highly disappointed in her shorts, but this one was fun. Probably because Pam was involved. I would have loved to hear Eric's reaction to what Sookie and Pam did.
S. Smith - I was bored.
J. Frost - I love Cat and Bones and this was still good. The only problem, and it's the same that I have with every Bones book, was that it didn't keep going for thousands
Ami
This review is only for "One for the Money" by Jeaniene Frost

Gosh, how I missed Cat and Bones. They only appeared as cameo in the two Night Huntress World books, so I totally welcome this novella. This time, Cat and Bones must postpone their vacation to help protecting a heiress, as a favor for Cat's uncle Don. There are also Cat's mom, Justina, and the ghost, Fabian, making appearance. I think the story is entertaining, funny at some point (especially in regards to Cat's behavior towar
Carolyn
I enjoyed all of the stories, but I have to admit that the Bones and Cat story, "One for the Money", was such an incredible read. I felt like an addict getting my fix of Bones and Cat. It was fantabulous!!!!
Shawna
Jeaniene Frost's short story "One For the Money" will feature Cat and Bones and is set after the events of "Destined For an Early Grave" in the Night Huntress series.
Brandi ;)
This was my first collection of stories by different authors to read. I've read short stories in a collection all by the same author before, but never a book full of different styles. It was interesting. I found some new authors to try and some authors I will be staying far, far away from. I've also discovered that I am just a full novel girl. I need that story to keep going more than 30 pages. Oh hell, honestly I need that story to be one of many in a series. I'm a serious series addict, I've e ...more
Melindeeloo
Most Excellent" mix of vacation themed shorts

Death's Excellent offers a variety of vacation themed shorts. I enjoyed the mix of stories - a few with a touch of romance and some with a touch of horror - and even found a couple of new authors on the way, but I have to say that some of these vacations make finding a new travel agent, or safer still, taking a 'staycation' at home seem like a really good idea.

1. Two Blondes - Charlaine Harris - A Sookie short - Sookie and Pam head off to the riverbo
Natasja
Two Blondes by Charlaine Harris
A short Sookie Stackhouse story; Sookie and Pam are on their way for a holiday weekend, mixing fun with some business. Their business part goes bad when they are visiting this strip-club and the manager has other things on his mind.

The boys go fishing by Sarah Smith
An old superhero longs for death after he lost everyone around him, but he gets a visit from a bunch of “talented” kids, who are in need for some training/guiding.

One for the money by Jeaniene Frost
Cat a
Mel
Overall I enjoyed this series of short stories. Apart from Charlaine Harris, I had not read any fo the other authors. Even with the Sookie Stackhouse series I was not up to date, s I can honestly say I was coming at this from a new reader's point of view. I love my paranormal mysteries and I'm slowly edging into paranormal romance. In general I liked most of the stories and I have ear-marked a few of the writers as ones to look into further (which I guess is the main aim for attracting new reade ...more
Sherrie
This was my latest book to review for a magazine on young adult literature. It is an anthology of stories about supernatural creatures on vacation- vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters,etc. It was an uneven collection, of the 13 stories a third of them were predictable, the bulk were interesting if not exceptional and three excelled. The trio of outstanding stories are "Safe and Sound" by Jeff Abbott (about a missing college student in a tropical paradise who may not want to be found and the mani ...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
The Flooze
**2.5?**

All stories considered, this anthology is probably one of the more balanced collections of its kind (that’s really not saying much). There are several taken from currently running series. Unfortunately, these were the least entertaining. Still, I was able to find a few authors I’d never heard of whose writing was intriguing enough for me to add them to the TBR.

“Two Blondes” - A Sookie-verse story from Charlaine Harris. With Pam and Sookie as the main characters, this should have been a w
Janelle
So rare for me to give any book a one-star rating! I could hardly stand any of the stories in this book. It's not that I don't like short stories ( I loved Weddings From Hell ) , I just found it irritating that some of these books were ".5 versions" of popular book series for one. And the short stories that weren't part of a series were not to my taste. I read three stories and mostly browsed through the rest. Even my beloved Jeaniene Frost was a little disappointing. I liked her short story, th ...more
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
Only reading Charlaine Harris' Two Blondes and Jeaniene Frost's One for the Money.

* Two Blondes ~ 3 stars.

It was ok. I enjoyed Sookie and Pam but it would've been much nicer with more Eric. The "mission" Sookie and Pam went on was a little hokey and I would never believe that Eric would send them on something like that without back up. But it is a short story and it is what it is.

* One For the Money ~ 4.5 stars.

Bloody Hell! that was some hot stuff but not enough...that's why it's not getting 5
Sara
This is the last hardcover volume like this I will ever buy, because I always end up hating 90% of the stories in here.

The Sookie Stackhouse story is completely forgettable. If you are thinking about buying this book for just that, it's not worth it. Read it at the library or something. No Eric (except for a phone call).

The Jeanine Frost story was GREAT. Cat and Bones are my second favorite series (behind Ward's BDB) and this story didn't disappoint. I wanted MORE as per usual. This story is the
Kat
Basic Premise: Supernaturals on vacation!

Not a bad little collection of stories. Nothing knocked my socks off, mostly 3-star stories that were enjoyable but forgettable, and a few 4 stars that made me smile, but weren't enough to pull up the total book rating. Thankfully, there were no 1 star stories, and the closest to a 2 star story was the Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse offering. It seemed added as an afterthought since Harris was editing the volume. The best gem in the collection is clos
Amy

Only read "One for the Money" to get my Cat and Bones fix which was awesome! I can never get enough of those two!

Favorite Quote:

"By the time Bones announced it was Tammy's turn, I'd fallen in love with him all over again. Flowers and jewelry worked for most girls as a romantic gesture, but here I was, misty-eyed at watching him show my mother how to stab the shit out of him."
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Jan 27, 2011 Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Laura the Highland Hussy
Shelves: read-in-2011
I bought this book for the sole purpose of Jeaniene Frost's book
One For The Money.

A Short story of Cat and Bones.
As Always Frost manage to give a story that satisfies her fans. Altough it was short you get a glimpse of the love and chemistry between the couple. I loved it!

Ahhhh...Love me some Bones"
Can't wait til Feb 22 for the next book!!!
LMM
My review is for the Sookie short "Two Blondes" by Charlaine Harris ( when I read the Cat & Bones by Jeanine Frost, I will amend).

This short makes no sense on so many levels, it's kinda of offensive to a long time loyal reader. For the casual reader - it'll probably be really cute.

The point of anthologies is to hook new readers into buying the series.

I'm willing to bet most people who decide to read the series after this - starting from book 1 & reads through until book 10 & then
Sylvia Sybil
"Two Blondes" by Charlaine Harris - Three stars. Sookie's not sure why Pam has invited her to come along for a girls' getaway, and why they're going to the land of casinos and strip clubs. Sure enough, their vacation is a pretense for yet more vampire politics. While the story was interesting, nothing new happened. It could have been titled "Yet Another Adventure in the Sookie Saga." Good enough to tide you over between novels but nothing you need to rush out for.

"The Boys Go Fishing" by Sarah S
Kelly
Even paranormal creatures need to get away from it all sometimes. In Death’s Excellent Vacation, editors Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner present a collection of thirteen stories tied together by the theme of “vacation.”

The “headliners,” as evidenced by whose names are in big type above the title, are Harris, Katie MacAlister, and Jeaniene Frost. Each of these three authors contributes a vignette from one of her popular series: SOOKIE STACKHOUSE, AISLING GREY: GUARDIAN, and NIGHT HUNTRESS r
Janine
Overall, a nice mix of stories. Harris and Kelner were successful editing this anthology, aside from the rather annoying continuity problems with Harris's own story.

Two Blondes by Charlaine Harris: I wanted to like this story. I tried to like this story. And I actually did like it—parts of it made me smile and snicker quietly to myself—until, that is, I could no longer suspend my disbelief about both Pam's and Sookie's actions. I like that Harris's vampires are occasionally vulnerable, but Pam s
Nicole
Death would have been an excellent vacation compared to reading this detestable book.

Horrible. Mindless. Drivel. I really only picked this book up for the Harris and MacAlister short stories but thought the others would be fun, short, paranormal stories that would maybe introduce me to a new author. Not. I know who's books I would never freaking touch with a ten foot pole. I may actually never go into the paranormal section again for fear of traumatic flashbacks.

First of all, shame on you Harris
Tasha Turner
Enjoyed a few of the shorts. Disliked more stories than I liked which is unusual for me. I'm only going to talk about the stories I personally enjoyed YMMV

TWO BLONDES by Charlaine Harris - from Sookie world - not bad, stripping and murder as a takeover

ONE FOR THE MONEY by Jeaniene Frost - Cat & Bones short - great beginning, love the dynamics between mom & daughter, fun, exciting, pulled together, good at building characters and world in a short, just fantastic

SAFE AND SOUND by Jeff Abbo
Goodreads Librari...: Misnumbering in Sookie Stackhouse 6 34 Jul 18, 2013 03:44PM
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • The Bite Before Christmas (Argeneau, #15.5; Night Huntress, #6.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Cupid Cats (Dark Ones #7.5 (Unleashed))
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“By the time Bones announced it was Tammy's turn, I'd fallen in love with him all over again. Flowers and jewelry worked for most girls as a romantic gesture, but here I was, misty-eyed at watching him show my mother how to stab the shit out of him.” 83 likes
“A human hires a hit man to kill his cousin for money, boring. That same hit man botches the job twice, funny. Then �the desperate hit man sends a ghoul after the girl to finish things up, my curiosity's piqued. That same ghoul ends up with his head cut off by a mysterious redhead . . . Ah. Now I'm interested.” 11 likes