When Dreams Travel

When Dreams Travel

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  2 reviews
This novel takes up where "The Arabian Nights" left off and suggests what might have happened to the protagonists, Shahrzad the bride, Dunyazad the sister and Shahryar the sultan, when the story telling stopped.
Published 1999 by Picador

michellé .c
When I received this book from a friend I honestly didn't know what to expect since I have yet to read The Arabian Nights.

This book wasn't hard to read at all, in fact it was quite a pleasurable read. I liked how Hariharan is able to weave a complete picture in one long, coherent, whimsical sentence. I felt as though I was transported back in time to the world of Arabian Nights where caravans trudged past the desert; a splendid white dome by the horizon; sultans and sultanahs in all their regali...more
Arun
I couldn't make it through this book. About a 100 pages in, and I still couldn't find my bearings as a reader. This is not a criticism on the writing of the book, mind, its just that the fact that the entire story is being written in present tense vignettes made it very hard for me to engage with the story. I'm thinking that its not the right time for me to read this book, so it's going back on the shelf for now.

For the curious, When Dreams Travel is a metafictional take on the 1001 Arabian Nigh...more
Ipshita Sarmah
Ipshita Sarmah is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2014
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Alagarsamy
Alagarsamy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
demons
demons marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Sneh Pradhan
Sneh Pradhan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Biddy
Biddy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Fozdog
Fozdog marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Maitrayee Sile
Maitrayee Sile marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
Rimpa Khatun
Rimpa Khatun marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Vikash Kumar
Vikash Kumar marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
In Times of Siege: a Novel The Thousand Faces of Night The Art of Dying Ghosts Of Vasu Master Fugitive Histories