Start by marking “The Killer” as Want to Read:
The Killer

The Killer (Victor the Assassin #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,840 ratings  ·  196 reviews

Forget James Bond.
Forget Jason Bourne.
Forget Jack Bauer.

Meet Victor.

He’s an assassin—a man with no past and no surname. He lives alone. He operates alone. He’s given a job; he takes out the target; he gets paid. He’s THE KILLER.

Victor in Paris to perform a standard kill and collect for an anonymous client. He completes it with trademark efficiency—only to find him

Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killer

Sean Peters
Victor is an assassin at the top of his game. After an all too simple job in Paris, a hit-squad is sent to kill Victor but the only man who knows where he is, sent him to Paris in the first place. Betrayed and out in the open, Victor has turned from the hunter into the hunted for the first time in his life. Running across Europe, he desperately tries to unravel the conspiracy against him, but how high does the rot go? Will he manage to survive long enough to piece together the big picture? Time ...more
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Sep 12, 2015 Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thriller novels
Published: 12/05/2011
Author: Tom Wood

Wow..I thought that this was a really amazing book and just my type, my brother-in-law lent me this book as I love these kind of books, I hadn't read a book by Tom Wood before but would definately read all of his books! It featured the amazing Victor, who even though he is an assassin he is definately my favourite character! It is a fast paced and unpredictable book with plenty of twists and turns, just when you think you know what is going to happen next it
Liz Barnsley
Meet Victor. He’s an assassin – a man with no past and no surname. But when a Paris job goes spectacularly wrong, Victor finds himself running for his life across four continents, accompanied by a woman too beautiful to trust, pursued by enemies too powerful to escape.

Well, talk about a rollercoaster ride. A sheer thrill of a read with fast paced action that does not compromise on character development or plot and is truly edge of the seat stuff.

I’m a bit funny when it comes to reading Thrillers
Mike (the Paladin)
This was to me a surprisingly good and addictive read. The author takes what might have been a sort of "been there done that" action adventure and turned it into a thoughtful interesting read with some pretty original twists...

And saying it has a couple of fairly original twists is a big deal in what is at heart a political techno type thriller. I was at least mildly surprised on one occasion which doesn't happen all that often any more.

We start out with the story of a professional killer (he ha
This book is phenomenal. One of the best books I've read! I couldn't stop reading it. Then quickly read the rest of the Victor series. Victor is an extremely smart assassin/spy and he's very interesting to read about. You can read just four lines of this book like "wow that's really cool." This book alone turned me into an avid reader. If you haven't read this. Do yourself a favor and start it ASAP! Thank me later haha. This book is a must.
Jacob Peled
As I started the book, I was sure it's going to be yet another 5 star book (to my taste). Tom Wood definitely knows how to write a vivid livable story. When describing something, you actually get all details in all angels as if you are there.
Well, it starts with a multiple killing, which was described very vividly. But… As the story tag along, you realized that we are dealing here with a Super – Duper Hero. It is getting to a point where it becomes unbelievable. How come that someone is taking
Forget James Bond. Forget Jason Bourne. Forget Jack Bauer. Meet Victor. Truer words have never been spoken! I'd even go as far as to say it's time for John Rain (Barry Eisler) to move over. There is a new sheriff in town. Mind you, the sheriff being a freelance killer. However, make no mistake - you'll be rooting for the bad guy!

A Paris job gone wrong leaves Victor running for his life. How often have I used the words suspenseful or action-packed in a review? It must have been lots of times. So
The main character is a elite killer for hire, so he's not your typical protagonist, but human enough you can still root for him. Taut story line and fast pace throughout..
As someone who has read crime fiction for nigh on 20 years I can honestly say this is my first foray into a proper 'action thriller' and quite a good one it is too.

Victor is an assassin. A man we never really get to know anything about, apart from a rough outline of visual characteristics, personality traits and his abilities. He's cold, hard and gives nothing away, attributes required to be a 'hitman' that can slide in and out of situations with ease. After a job goes horribly wrong in Paris,

In the spy/military thriller genre, the two countries which dominate the genre are the UK and the USA. Over the years, the class of protagonist has become a bit stale. In Britain, the most common protagonist is the lone Special Forces soldier, always getting the short end of the stick from the treacherous snakes in Vauxhall Cross and Whitehall. In America, the “independent minded” CIA officer or Tier One operator, who has to dodge bureaucrats who are idiotic at best and treasonous at
I'm usually a sucker for a good killer-for-hire story. And Rob Shapiro's narration on the audio book was great, one of the reasons I bought it after listening to the sample.

I just didn't care for the writing style. Hard for me to explain, but it felt like he overexplained everything. He wanted to make it very clear each point he wanted to make, whether it was Victor's remarkable skills and lack of emotional connection, or that his contempt for another character was evolving into something differ
I read this book in preparation for a Question & Answer event with the author. I wasn't thrilled with the book initially. I find long descriptions of gun and fist fights to be boring, not exciting. The more of them there are, the more boring they become. When Rebecca was introduced to the storyline, it made Victor more human and that's what clicked for me. I am a little curious what happens to Victor, but I'm not sure it's enough to continue with this series. This was an OK book, especially ...more
Gopal (The Minion)
Great Debut!!! Tom Wood has set his protagonist as an Assasin a typical villan and the antagonist as CIA Agency.

The basic plot premise is imaginable, the chase sequences are exciting, but it is the insight and the view into the life of an assasin that scores Tom Wood an additional star from me.

I liked the book and am looking forward the read the follow-up short story and the next book set in the series.
David Dalton
I had put off reading this thriller for a few years. Something I know regret. I really enjoyed reading this thriller. I liked the characters, both the "good" assassin (Victor) and the "bad" assassin (Reed). Plenty of action and spy-craft. A good plot, characters, and tons of bad guys.

The mano vs mano fight scene at the end was worth the price of admission alone. If you like Jason Bourne or Will Robie (which I certainly do) then you will enjoy this story as well.

I already have two more Victor boo
The Hunter was a first class book about an assassin. Wood succeeded where so many have failed, in my experience, in creating a realistic chronicle of a portion of an international killer for hire. This was, by some margin, the best book of its sort that I have read in some time. It has certain things in common with The Day of the Jackal, perhaps the best assassin chronicle ever written, but is not quite in that five star category.

Victor is a incredibly well-trained and disciplined man. His behav
Victor is a paid assassin. No one knows his name, no one has his picture, and no one knows where he lives. But Victor's nasty life is going to get a serious jolt after his latest job.

As the novel starts, he is finishing up a job to retrieve a computer memory stick from his latest victim, by returning to his hotel, where he discovers that someone has sent an eight man kill squad to kill him. But things do not go as planned for the kill squad and Victor makes it home, where he is again attacked.

If you like fast paced thrillers that offer non-stop action, this one is for you. It takes off from the very first page and barely lets up until the end. There is negligible character development, the array of exotic backdrops all seem fairly interchangeable and the plot itself contains several well worn cliches. Nevertheless the rapid pace allows you to disregard a lot of these flaws. The book's first quarter is one of the best I've read in this genre, and while it falls away slightly after tha ...more
Barbara Elsborg
Almost 5 stars. I really enjoyed this. I can't remember when I last read a book with so much action - well written action. The pace was fast and furious, it was really hard to put down. In fact, I didn't last night and kept reading until I'd finished it. It had an - oh no, don't do that - moment but I'd sort of seen it coming.
Victor - what a great name - though it likely isn't his, is an assassin. A very good one but not infalliable. The story starts with an amazing altercation between Victor a
This book is a prime example of why group reads are so great. This is not a book I would normally have picked up. The genre isn't one of my favorites - and with a huge pile of books I need to read I don't normally read books if they aren't in my favorite genres.

Then there was group read. I thought I'd give it a go, the story sounded promising.

And I am so glad I did!!

This is a story that is well written and with loads of action! The author has described the scenes really well, while still keeping
Robert Intriago
A fast paced action book. Kind of a throwback to the Bourne and Bond books. The main plot involves a hired assassin who finds himself in the receiving end of a plot to get rid of him. The author's knowledge of intelligence agencies inner workings and weaponry systems is excellent. Some of the action is a little beyond believable but then that's what makes it fiction. There are several subplots that are as interesting as the main one. I plan to read his next book.
Jim A
One of those books were the potential purchaser needs to be careful.

The Killer, by Tom Wood, is the same book as The Hunter (UK title), also written by Tom Wood. The Killer, written by Tom Hinshelwood is again the same book.
Rachel Amphlett
A great introduction to what I've heard is a fantastic series.

There were a few moments where I felt the detail intruded on the story a little too much, however this didn't detract from what is, essentially, an awesome read.
This is a book that as I was reading it I knew that I would enjoy it more on any other reading - but for some reason this time around just didn't seem to click as well as it could have. How I know I don't know, but it is one of those feelings you get about books; this is a good one. I feel that if I had read it on a better 'set of days' I may have given it four stars, but as I read it now I can honestly only give it Three Stars

The plot, while certainly not cliché, was not overly original. Howeve
Jake Hardman
Synopsis: The Hunter of the title is Victor, a hired assassin. Following a hit that goes wrong, he ceases to be the hunter and becomes the hunted. The story moves from France, where the hit took place, to Germany and Russia as Victor goes in search of the people who set him up. Scenes at the CIA Head Quarters in Langley, Virginia, inform the reader that there’s a deeper, hidden plot afoot. Victor’s pursuers have inside information on his movements, and track him down even in supposedly safe hous ...more
Victor is the consummate assassin who has been hired to kill someone and retrieve a thumbnail drive. After the job, he realizes that he has also been targeted by a group of assassins and now he's on the run trying to discover who sanctioned him and why.

The CIA is also interested because the man Victor killed was supposed to turn the drive over to them. It contained the coordinates of a Russian ship that had foundered at sea and sank with some highly advanced cruise missiles. The CIA would love
I liked this book, alot. The action is fast paced and well written. Things move along at a fast pace, and the action takes place over several continents. I liked the fact that although Victor is at the top of his game, he does get injured, he does get hurt...which to me is a good thing. He is human after all.

The story of Sumner and Victor is interesting and offers a change of pace from the fast paced action the rest of the book provides. The interaction between the two is enjoyable, and adds to
It is hard to say I did not like this book! After all I have it a four. More like 3.5 but I can not do that. I am not as harsh a critic as most in this genre. The writing was fine, the plot was okay, there were places I was happy, places I was sad, places I replayed to understand all that was going on. I suppose I give out too many 4's. But this is the type of fiction I want to read. Amazing men, doing things that are kinda amazing. Bond'ish. Why not? It's why I read them. To escape. No spoiler ...more
A hit man kills his target on behalf of an unknown client. He returns to his hotel and finds a seven-person hit squad waiting to kill him. They fail, all dying in the attempt, but he is forced to go on the run. Among theworld of the handful of writers who specialize in hit men (Lawrence Block, for one), Hinshelwood's first novel stands out. Among the writers who have delivered great chase novels (Thomas Perry, Geoffrey Household, for instance), Wood ranks very high indeed.

Note: His second ("The
The Orion Team. : * The Killer Film. 18 35 Nov 14, 2015 03:45AM
The Orion Team. : The Killer Ascendant 6 18 Feb 24, 2014 09:38PM
Victor VS Courtland Gentry. Who Is The Competent Killer? 1 14 Dec 31, 2013 12:36AM
  • The Accident Man (Samuel Carver, #1)
  • Dead Eye (The Gray Man #4)
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • Ghosts (John Milton #4)
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • Columbus (Silver Bear, #2)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
  • Dead Six (Dead Six #1)
  • Chimera (Jim Chapel, #1)
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
Tom was born in Burton Upon Trent in Staffordshire, England, and now lives in London.

Tom's books are known by different titles in some countries so please be careful when purchasing.
More about Tom Wood...

Victor the Assassin (5 books)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin #2)
  • The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • Better Off Dead (Victor the Assassin, #4)
  • The Darkest Day (Victor the Assassin, #5)

“Victor waited until Ozols had passed out of the light before squeezing the trigger with smooth, even pressure. Suppressed gunshots interrupted the early morning stillness. Ozols was hit in the sternum, twice in rapid succession. The bullets were low powered, subsonic 5.7 mm, but larger rounds could have been no more fatal. Copper-encased lead tore through skin, bone, and heart before lodging side by side between vertebrae. Ozols collapsed backward, hitting the ground with a dull thud, arms outstretched, head rolling to one side. Victor melted out of the darkness and took a measured step forward. He angled the FN Five-seveN and put a bullet through Ozols’s temple. He was already dead, but in Victor’s opinion there was no such thing as overkill.” 2 likes