Start by marking “Starship Titanic” as Want to Read:
Starship Titanic

Starship Titanic

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  8,415 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
Sur la planète Blérontin, on s'apprête à inaugurer en grande pompe le Straship Titanic, formidable vaisseau spactial, dernière création de Leovinus, le plus grand inventeur de l'univers et de tous les temps. Or, bien évidemment, l'engin a été saboté - une bombe intelligente a été placée à son bord -, et toutes les conditions sont donc rassemblées pour que ce premier vol ex ...more
Published November 30th 2001 by J'ai Lu (first published October 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Starship Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starship Titanic

Stefanie
Aug 13, 2012 Stefanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was kind of disappointed in this book. I absolutely adore my compendium of the Hitchhiker's saga (is saga the right word?), and was hoping that this would be a nice little addition to the world Douglas Adams created in that. Or else that it would be somehow similar to that episode of Doctor Who with Ten, although that's probably because I've been re-watching the series on Netflix.

The whole idea of the Starship Titanic was a one-off joke in the Hitchhiker's novels, and so while th
Josh
Oct 22, 2007 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
easily the best book I've ever read that was based on a CD-ROM computer game, especially under the sub-category of books written by comedians I like based on CD-ROM games by favorite authors. I dare say it tops both of those lists.
Kimberley doruyter
i feel like there is a little robot tap-dancing on my brain.
Ashley
May 02, 2008 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0wn4g3
When I learned that this book existed, I was desperate to find a copy. The brainchild of Douglas Adams, as interpreted by Terry Jones of "Monty Python" fame?! Where do I sign my soul away?

I'm very glad I didn't shell out a lot of cash for this book. It showed promise, but read like a chapter book for kids. I would not give this book to any child, though - there's a lot of sexual, R-rated antics, especially as the book gets moving. That's not to say that this is pure rat poison. The book has its
Jim
Mar 19, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hitchhiker's Guide meets Monty Python. What more could you ask for? The settings and characters are pure Adams but the writing is unquestionably Terry Jones. A fun reads for fans of both styles with a couple laugh out loud passages.
Mohammad
Jan 11, 2016 Mohammad rated it it was amazing
I love this book I know something I did not know.
Silentium
Apr 26, 2012 Silentium rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Сигурно някои от Вас са чували за тази книга, а други може да са повече запознати с компютърната игра със същото име. Лично аз, като заблудено и необразовано агне, си мислех, че втората е правена по първата, а то се оказа, че всичко било правено… паралелно. Дъглас Адамс (познат на по-голяма част от човечеството със своя “Пътеводител на галактическия стопаджия”) измисля историята, но решава да я пренесе директно на компютърния екран. В същото време издателите му искали да напише и книга със същия ...more
Jordan
Apr 28, 2011 Jordan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adams completists
Shelves: science-fiction
I went into this book wanting to enjoy it. Well, more than that—I was expecting to enjoy it. After all, it was written by Terry Jones and based on a game by Douglas Adams.

What wouldn't there be to enjoy?

Spoiler alert: the answer is "A lot."

It wasn't good. It was short, though, which does count for something, but it wasn't short enough. It started off promisingly, but a few chapters in, it felt like the story just diverges from the plot of the game. This being said, I've yet to go through the gam
Tracey
Sep 14, 2007 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams completists, for the most part
I found a copy of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic at a half-price book store last December, and picked it up. I'd played the related computer game when it came out back in 1997 and was curious to see how (what I remembered of) the storyline played out in book format.

The story opens with Leovinus - the genius designer of the Starship Titanic "the ship that cannot possibly go wrong" - taking a last-minute tour of the ship, only to find that some very serious corners were cut in its construction.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
A book from Adams that is not from Adams but from Terry. He was honest enough in his prologue to explain why this book was written and how. Also what are Terry 's strength and weaknesses. I couldn't agree more with his own critique about this book. The extra star goes for the honesty.
Ria
Aug 25, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful sci fi novel with a twist on the Titanic story.
Leovinus a genius of the galaxy has an idea to build the most magnificent starship known to the universe, all controlled by his beloved Titania.
Things go well until his accountant and other business partner cut corners due to financial issues, on the day of the launch the Starship Titanic suffers a SMEF, Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure and it crash lands right in the middle of a rectory on earth.
Enter the four humans, Nigel, Nettie
Anne
Feb 08, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Auch wenn ich kein wirklicher Fan von Monty Python bin und mit dem Namen Terry Jones nicht viel anfangen konnte, fühlte ich mich doch ein wenig in die Zeiten des "Anhalters" zurückversetzt. Die Reise von Lucy und Co. mit dem Starship Titanic erinnert gekonnt an Douglas Adams' Werk, wirkt aber leider auch teilweise wie ein lauwarmer Aufguss. Insgesamt war sie nette kurzweilige Unterhaltung.
Vassilena Valchanova
Една от не толкова добрите и забавни хумористични фантастики - слаба фабула и малко скучновати герои. Все пак съм доволна, че привършвам цикъла "Дъглас Адамс" :)
Bülent Özgün
Mar 20, 2016 Bülent Özgün rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eğlenceli bir romandı. Terry Jones, Douglas Adams'ın üslubunu yakalamış. Çeviri mükemmeldi Özden Arıkan'ın çeviri tercihlerine bayıldım.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 29, 2015 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audio-books, 2015
A humorously silly planetary adventure...
Sandy Millin
Dec 27, 2016 Sandy Millin rated it really liked it
I was very happy to discover this book on my aunt's shelf, as I thought I'd read everything influenced by Douglas Adams. It was written by Terry Jones based on a game developed by Douglas Adams. This was an entertaining read with a few laughs, and great for over Christmas. It sounds like a game I would have enjoyed playing.
Larry Lane
I read this years ago, and lost my copy. Just bought it again, and was rather disappointed that it wasn't as good as I remembered. Character development is very poor, and the ending was extremely rushed. Give it an extra hundred pages to flesh out the characters and strengthen the ending, and it would be a much better book.
Amy Muzaffar
Dec 25, 2016 Amy Muzaffar rated it liked it
Easy to read, like turning on TV and watching whatever crap is playing. Experience enhanced by the fact that Adams and Jones signed this copy to us. Particularly nice if you've been reading long, life-changing, Pulitzer Prize winning novels and you just want a break from thinking.
François Carrière
Jan 19, 2017 François Carrière rated it liked it
Definitely Douglas Adams as interpreted by a Python.
Jayde Murphy
Jan 10, 2017 Jayde Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely ridiculous! Loved it!
John
Jan 02, 2017 John rated it liked it
Over too soon. Somewhere between "short story" and "novel" in terms of length. Felt rushed.
Alex Neilson
Dec 31, 2016 Alex Neilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Terry Jones writes, based on a computer game by Douglas Adams (itself based on a throwaway line from Douglas' Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy), a superb story of the greatest starship in the universe.
Ray
Dec 28, 2016 Ray rated it it was ok
A totally fine book but not much more.
Ана Хелс
Nov 30, 2013 Ана Хелс rated it it was amazing
Ако някой себеуважаващ се читател на фентъзи и фантастика все още не се е запознал с магна опуса на Дъглас Адамс за Пътеводителя на всичките поизгубени галактически стопаджии – веднага да метнете една пухкава хавлия на рамо и да тичате през глава да си поправяте почти непростимата грешка. За всички останали – помните ли великолепния меланхолично – суициден мърморко с роботско сърце Марвин? Сега си представете цял гигантофилски кораб натоварен до пръсване само с вариации на Марвиновци, кой от кой ...more
Melissa
I received the computer game of the same name a long time ago as a Christmas gift from my dad. Can it be really 10 years ago? I am a huge Douglas Adam's fan. Sharing this same love Adams, my dad knew I would love the game. I did. It took me two years to get through it playing by myself. I had so much fun.

Thinking that reading the book would continue the festivities, I purchased this book a couple of weeks ago. I started it this morning and when I got to page 98 when I suddenly knew how the rest
Catsalive
Mar 19, 2015 Catsalive rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I enjoyed it. There was a ring of Hitchhiker's about it but I really just liked it on its own merits. I thought the first few chapters were trying too hard to be Adams & Python but then it turned into more of a Dr Who in his current incarnation, extraordinarily silly but sweet, naughty & fun as well.

back cover:
At the centre of the galaxy, a vast, unknown civilization is preparing for an event of epic proportions, the launch of the greatest, most gorgeous, most technologically advanced sp
yexxo
Wer auf der Suche nach einem zumindest halbwegs ernsthaften Science-Fiction ist, sollte hiervon besser die Finger lassen. Denn wenn es eines bestimmt nicht ist, dann ernsthaft ;-)
Diejenigen, die sich hiervon nicht abschrecken lassen, erwartet eine 131 Minuten lange chaotische sowie völlig schräge Raumschifffahrt durchs All, während der sich lüsterne Stehlampendiensboter und liebestolle blerotinische Journalisten noch als kleinste Probleme herausstellen. Denn das supergigantische und hypermoderne
Reinhold
Dec 08, 2008 Reinhold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Die Titanic sollte eigentlich der größte Luxusliner der Weltraumgeschichte werden, allerdings hat sich das der Projektleiter ein anderes Konzept überlegt: Wenn das Schiff bereits beim Stapellauf zerstört wird, dann vergütet die Versicherung den Wert und es ist nicht wichtig, dass die Ausstattung bei Weitem nicht dem entspricht was geplant war. Die Titanic erleidet auch ein massives Existenzversagen, aber dennoch kommt sie durch. Aus den verschiedensten Gründen finden sich jedenfalls einige Lebew ...more
Diane
For my review, I shall put forth my favorite quotes from this book.

"Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure" I love the brilliant mind that can put together eloquent words like these such that I read them over and over again and try to visualize exactly what they say. I like it.

"They have vicious rabbits." Obviously a nod to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Well, that is the first thing that popped into my brain.

"You are actually speaking and understanding Blerontinian. Pretty convenient for write
Sierra Schetagne
I’ll start by saying that I was very wary of this book when I purchased it. I’m such a sucker for anything Douglas Adams, therefore I must buy anything and everything that is in relation to him. I knew this book went along with the PC game that he made, but I was only wary because this book wasn’t actually written by him. (I read And Another Thing… by Eoin Colfer and was utterly disappointed.) Fortunately after reading the Introduction written by Adams himself, I began to feel a little bit bette ...more
What is main contents on it? 2 9 Feb 19, 2012 10:06PM
  • The Deeper Meaning of Liff
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams
  • Red Dwarf Omnibus: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Red Dwarf #1-2)
  • Whom God Would Destroy
  • First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think (Parrot Sketch Excluded)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons
  • Class Dis-Mythed (Myth Adventures, #16)
Terence Graham Parry Jones is a Welsh comedian, screenwriter and actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host. He is best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy team.
More about Terry Jones...