The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)

The Lady in Question (Effingtons #7)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  901 ratings  ·  37 reviews

Identical twins, sensible Delia and mischievous Cassandra Effington were the most delicious debutantes to ever waltz across a London ballroom. They looked alike in every way . . . but no one ever expected Delia to be the one to get into trouble . . .

How did this young lady's reputation become so questionable?

Once she was lovely, respectable Miss Delia Effington, but an im

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2003)

Judy
Cassandra and Philedelphia Effington are identical twins. Everyone keeps an eye on Cassie as she is the one who is outspoken and most likely to cause a scandal, they thought.

Seems Delia wanted the exciting grand adventure and found it in the flirting a well known rogue, Charles Wilmont. She is soon married to avoid a scandal and within four days, a widow.

Delia went into hiding with a distant aunt and now she has returned to London in her mourning clothes. It has been six months since her husband...more
Patria
Donna
This was my first in the series, and I found it very enjoyable. Likable characters, several unexpected and fun plot twists, and classic mistaken identity switcheroos (ah yes! But she doesn't know that I know she knows!).

It started well, and had an excellent finish, but felt a little long in through the middle. At around the 50% mark, the action seemed to slow down noticeably, and there was quite a lot of dialog that didn't seem to advance the plot. This minor flaw was very excusable, since the c...more
Tonileg
Original historical romance with a smart 22 year old heroine who runs off to marry an infamous rake after only a month of secret meetings (very few of those because of the strict social obligations), then after only a few days of marriage he mysteriously disappears and is probably dead which leaves Miss Delia Effington, suddenly the married then now the widowed Lady Wilmont. Strangely karma strikes quickly because Delia is the most scandalous lady of the winter because of her actions and embarra...more
Adam
Post listen review: I went into this thinking I would want to give it negative stars and chuck it out the window which is how I have felt about most of the romance books I have listened to in my effort to listen to all the fictional audiobooks at the library. But to my great surprise this one was actually ok. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying anyone should go out and read romance books (they mostly suck really badly) but if you absolutely have to read or listen to one, this is the one you...more
Cheryl Mclaws
I listened to the audiobook version. The narrator was great, but the story dragged. I skipped through a lot of the tracks because it was so drawn out and I got frustrated with the writing being so long-winded and taking forever to get to the point. Had I been actually reading the book I would have been skimming through it as well to get to the important parts. There was too much unimportant fluff going on, in my opinion. **Minor Spoiler** I also had an issue with the fact that toward the beginni...more
Jessi
Lady Wilmont, formerly Delia Effington, was married for a little less than three days when her husband was murdered. She married him somewhat precipitously, causing a scandal, but now she's been in mourning for seven months and it's beginning to feel like punishment. What she doesn't know is that her former husband was a spy and left some very important papers hidden in her house. Now a new spy, Anthony, Viscount St. Stephens, has been installed in her house, disguised as an elderly butler. The...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Delia married a rake, was widowed, and went into a self imposed seclusion six months ago. Everyone thought that if there was trouble of a proper young lady in the Effington family it would be Delia's twin Cassandra because Delia has always been the quiet, well behaved, favorite of the two. Coming back to London to live in her late husbands house is a great change for Delia, who is used to people around and the noise of family. She has only a few servants and is very lonely, so she befriends her...more
Robin
For a romance novel I found this one quite good. I didn't find it to be too much in the "oh brother" catagory. Kept my interest up and wanting to read on.

Twin sisters...one is a spy.
Farrah
Thoroughly enjoyed this historical romance by Victoria Alexander. Adventure, wit, passion, and mystery as we solve the who's and whys of the novel Alexander created. Strong characters who "fall" from their expectations of love and marriage after being with one another. After reading about Delia Effington, I now want to find out about her twin sister's story next.

Picked this one up from the library and while I enjoyed the story, I doubt this would be one I'd run to get a copy of to keep for my sh...more
Barks & Bites
I stuck with this one but it was a heck of a chore. As I feared, I have a feeling I'm just thoroughly burned out on historical romances, having read one too many of them over the past decade. The twin switching and the identity falsification of the hero was cute but something I'd read many a time before. The love story was sweet and at times made me smile. I particularly enjoyed the exchanges between Delia and her butler. Still, sadly I found the book too easy to put down.
Joan
This was a fun refreshing book about a young lady who makes a mistake, makes the best of it and finds adventure,friends and love in the processes. Nice strong personalities in the main characters, storyline moved at a great pace and not alot of whining about woe is me and my situation. That makes all the difference to me. Introduction of secondary characters was well done and left you wanting to know more. Good marketing for getting the next book. A really good read.
Karen Lynette Boruff
I struggle in some ways with this authors books. She throws in unbelievable elements which I can't seem to overlook. Makes time and place errors, and other mistakes that keep making consentrate on those and not the story line. However, it is a fun, light read and will keep many less "picky" readers happy throughout. I will read her again, but will not search her out. Something to infantile about the story lines to pull me to them.
Abigail Stevens
Not bad. Worth keeping. Ending bugged me a bit. Many typos. The character dialogue was trying a little too hard to be witty. It seemed like the characters were both trying to get in the last word and that was annoying. The hero's statements were a little too syrupy sweet sometimes - more like what someone would write in a romance novel then what a man would actually say. All that said. It has no fatal flaws. It's good. Hot 4/10.
Michelle
Delia's book (Cassia'a twin) with Tony St Stephens as her butler/spy. A cute romance, but I felt a little disconnected to Delia, almost as if it were more Tony's book. And while I love the male POV in a romance, I felt Delia was more of a heroine cut-out for the first half of the book. Deceptions are hard for me to take for so long in a romance, but this was handled well.
Lorena Martínez
Le pondría cuatro estrellas, pero la verdad al final Victoria Alexander se olvido del misterio que reunió a los dos protagonistas. Disfrute de la vida escandalosa de Philadelphia y su deseo de ser una mujer experimentada en 1820. Que escándalo. Lo recomiendo si te gustan las novelas románticas y una que otra escena de sexo.
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Melanie~~
I think I need to give this one another listen. I remember some plot points but am a little fuzzy on others. I think I liked it better than 3 stars but can't remember for certain. Will update then next time is resides on my iPhone.
Amos
of Adlibris 6/30/2010, started pm 7/17/2010. Good easy read. I enjoyed it. Celebration of what women have had to put up with in the past. Books found 8-5-2010 by Susan’s Bed posted GoodReads 8-9-2010
Returned to Susan
Robin
This one was a light, Regency romance. Definitely fluffy, but it made me smile, and it had the requisite happy ending. It was good enough, the characters intriguing enough, that I would like to read the sequel at some point.
Shirley
I saw Anthony Hopkins playing Tony and Emma Thompson playing Delia. So I guess I bought the storyline. Very interesting mystery that turned out to be a good romance as well.
Nisareen
I enjoyed the exchanges between Delia and her butler, but some reason struggled with the historical fiction versus 'spy secretly working for the government angle.'
Betty
This Romance was a bit more intelligently written than a lot of the rest...but I'm hardly keeping any of these anymore! Alas, there goes my youth! LOL
Stephanie
Romance about a Regency woman under protection. She meets the nobleman posing as her butler in other circumstances and they fall in love.
MRB
I read (and loved) this one awhile ago, but it's only now that I'm on a VA kick that I realized I never rated it. Review to follow!
Pamela(AllHoney)
Nice, entertaining romance but I would have loved to have seen a little more suspense, given the plot of the story.
Heather
This book was all right... Honestly, I skilled through most of the end. The characters were cute and fluffy.
Deidre
Another great Effington story. I'll be sorry to see the end of this series.
Mariah
In the words of Philadelphia, it was a "Grand Adventure."
Marjorie
Had never read this author but liked her writing.
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • How to Engage an Earl (Royle Sisters, #2
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • His Mistress By Morning (Marlow, #1)
  • A Lady's Secret (Malloren, #8)
  • No Ordinary Groom (Spies and Lovers, #1)
  • The Wedding Night of an English Rogue (Boscastle, #3)
  • Something Sinful (Griffin Family, #3)
  • The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmakers #3)
  • Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2)
  • Scandalous Again (Switching Places, #1)
  • To Seduce a Bride (Courtship Wars, #3)
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,...more
More about Victoria Alexander...
The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1) A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1) What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2) The Husband List (Effingtons, #2) Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)