Start by marking “The Father Hunt (Nero Wolfe, #43)” as Want to Read:
The Father Hunt (Nero Wolfe, #43)

The Father Hunt (Nero Wolfe #43)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,235 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Hired to locate Amy Denovo's long-lost father, Nero Wolfe and his assistant, Archie Goodwin, discover that the missing man has a deadly and dangerous secret to hide.
Published (first published May 28th 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Father Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Father Hunt

Evgeny
May 11, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to make it clear from the beginning that the word hunt in the title is not used in the most common sense, so do not think this:
Elmer Fudd

One of the recurring characters of the series is Archie Goodwin's girlfriend Lily Rowan. She hired a secretary Amy Denovo for a temporary position who asked Archie to help her find her father one day. Amy grew up with her mother who never told her daughter about her father before she was killed in hit-and-run accident. Amy did not want to involve Nero Wolfe becau
Bill  Kerwin
Dec 11, 2015 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Amy DeNovo, Lily Rowan's young assistant, wants Archie to help her find out who her father is. The problem is an interesting one--and even more interesting in that it may very well be connected with her mother's hit-and-run death some months before.

This is one of the best of Wolfe's adventures, with many twists and turns, at least three vivid minor characters, and a satisfying denouement.
Carol
Jan 27, 2013 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The interplay between Archie and Nero was great as usual (which is why I love this book series as much as I do) but this particular mystery was not my favorite. The ending was a bit meh! (two stars) Archie and Nero (four stars) - so I averaged it out.
Dave
Feb 15, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
By the time this came out, the Wolfe pattern was so well-established that it's almost flawless. In this one, Archie makes a bunch of (admitted) mistakes, Wolfe sends orchids to an admirably forthright witness, and Stebbins ransacks Archie's desk. Dialogue:

Archie: "If the payments had nothing to do with Amy, why did Elinor keep it, every century of it, for her?

Wolfe: "Women are random clusters of vagaries."

Archie: "Who said that?"

Wolfe: "I did."

(BTW, at least four women in the book are much more
Alger
Jun 27, 2015 Alger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh, meh meh, meh meh meh meh meh. Meh.

I don't pick up a Rex Stout novel for the mystery, which are generally non-mysteries even in the best of his books. Neither do I expect flashy deduction or carefully constructed logic that brings the reader to a satisfying dénouement. I read them because they are simple pulpy fun, and the characterizations and dialogue are interesting and witty.

The Father Hunt is a late and tired episode that opens with a weak attempt to not build the story around a murder
Kitty Jay
Dec 27, 2014 Kitty Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Nero Wolfe mystery begins with Lily Rowan's assistant, Amy Denovo, asking for Archie's help in finding her father. Her mother has passed away from a hit-and-run incident without ever breathing a hint to Amy of her real father, so, with money collected from checks supposedly sent by the father, Amy hires Wolfe - only the case is complicated when it looks like the hit-and-run might have been more sinister.

Although enjoyable, there are some minor quibbles with the plot in this one (it feels as
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 Marlowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Denovo’s mother chose her last name because it means “of new,” representing the clean break she made away from Amy’s father. She never spoke of her past to Amy and, though questioned, refused to divulge her father’s identity. That is, until the day she was killed in a hit-and-run incident. Soon after, Amy finds a box filled with money and a note explaining that the money is from her mysterious father. She uses this money to hire Nero Wolfe to dig into her mother’s past and find her father.

An
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
22 year old Amy DiNovo's (not sure about the spelling) mother has been killed by a car, and Amy approaches Nero Wolfe through his assistant Archie Goodwin to find out who her father is--and maybe if her mother was murdered. She offers thousands of dollars in cash, which she discovered in her mother's locker at work, along with a note that said the money came from Amy's father; $1000 a month since she was born, but her mother never touched it. Amy knows nothing of her mother's life before her own ...more
Alexis Neal
Nov 26, 2012 Alexis Neal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, mystery
Amy Denovo wants to find her father. The trouble is, she doesn't know who he is, what he does, or where he lives. All she knows is that her mother received checks for $1000 every month from Amy's birth until her mother's death in a hit and run accident a few months back. But was it really an accident? Wolfe and Archie chase lead after lead in an attempt to track down the long-lost father, determined to find an answer. Whether Amy likes the answer she gets ... well, that remains to be seen.

The st
robyn
May 10, 2011 robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One of my favorite Stouts; Wolfe and Goodwin are both in good form, and Wolfe doesn't solve the mystery through a restaging of the event or an outright deception, which always seems a bit of a cheat to me.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series is one of my favorites anywhere, anytime. As a teenager, I obsessively enjoyed Glen Cook's Garrett Files books. It wasn't til I came across Nero Wolfe that I realized how much Cook had outright lifted from these stories - the plots were unveiled recastings of Chan
Nan Silvernail
May 03, 2012 Nan Silvernail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A car swerves up onto the sidewalk and ends a mother's life. Her daughter then receives and opens a Pandora's Box of a case. 1/4 of a million dollars is in the box and a letter from her mother saying this money is from your father. Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin must find their way through a web of aliases and secrets going back generations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SPOILERS DRAWN ON A BANK CHECK

Cover Art - Nicely done, I think.

If you missed it, when I called this a Pandora's Box
Peggy
Mar 24, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on CD. It was an enjoyable book for listening - it was easy to follow and, as usual, had enough dead ends to keep me guessing to the end. A young woman hire Nero Wolfe to identify her father whom she has never known. Her mother was killed in a hit and run accident a few months earlier. Is the a connection between the hit and run and the girl's father? Leave it to Wolfe and Archie Goodwin to unravel the story.
Mike Jensen
Odd combination of a private eye voice with a Sherlock Holmes type story. I do not care for it, but can understand why the series is popular. It probably helps to know the characters well, because the bits of petty one-upmanship between the protagonists is likely to enthrall those who read Stout for these moments. The same is true for the condescension to the incompetent and officious police. The story annoyed me because it could very nearly have skipped from the first chapter to the midway poin ...more
Ed
Feb 21, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#43 in the Nero Wolfe series. This entry was published in 1968 and while the flavor of the series has been consistant throughout, except for prices, the writing is much more fluid and not as dated as the early entries (starting in 1934) or even when Archie was a Major in Army Intelligence in the wartime Not Quite Dead Enough (1944).

Nero Wolfe series - Amy Denovo, a young woman assisting Lily Rowan, hires Nero Wolfe because she must find out who her father is, or was. After her mother was killed
Shirley Worley
Nero Wolfe, at Archie's urging, takes the case of a young woman who desires to find her father, a man she has never known. Her curiosity peaked after her mother died, victim of a hit-and-run, and left her with a letter and a suitcase full of money. The money had been received monthly over the years from a third party on behalf of her father. When Nero begins to investigate, he discovers that the mother's accident may have been murder and that the two cases overlap, much to Inspector Cramer's unh ...more
Ari
May 01, 2015 Ari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It held my interest and the prose didn't grate. But it's not an impressive work. Parts of the plot felt jumbled, the descriptions felt a bit overdone, and I'm not actually sure the resolution is quite satisfying emotionally.
Shireen
Dec 30, 2012 Shireen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, 2012
It wasn't till I finished reading this good book that I realised the point of The Father Hunt is in the title: the hunt. Not the solution, this time. And in that it's a gem. But I will say that the holes at the end, or incomplete answers, left me feeling a bit cheated. That's why I gave it 3 instead of 4 stars. On the other hand, I can make up a story to fill in the big why, something I used to enjoy doing way back when I was a young reader.

This edition is supposed to include letters from Rex S
Matthew Henry
Dec 18, 2014 Matthew Henry rated it it was amazing
great as usual

Does this man ever write a bad novel. I think not! I won't bother with anything fancy here. Just go buy it and settle back to enjoy another world and time in a not so distant past.
JulieLaLa
Feb 06, 2014 JulieLaLa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This must be my favourite of the many Rex Stout Nero Wolfe novels! Fave characters (Archie and Nero), excellent mystery, great dialogue, etc... Always worth reading!
Carla
Nero Wolfe is one of my favorite foodie detectives. Quite a niche, eh? In this caper he solves the mystery...it involves a missing father. I hope I didn't ruin anything.

The reading of this audio book was just ok. I don't think the actor chosen had quite the right voice to portray Archie Baldwin who narrates the entire story, but he did put a little effort into different voices for each of the characters. Much as I did when my father read me bedtime stories, I think different voices for each cha
Emily
May 20, 2016 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't find this book as interesting for convincing as Stout's earlier work. Pity.
David Miller
Aug 16, 2015 David Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book, and now only 4 more books are left in the series :-(
Steven Freeman
Feb 02, 2016 Steven Freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Excellent. A different kind of case, but Archie and Wolfe still get it done.
John

Bernadette
Feb 26, 2016 Bernadette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
finished 2016-02-24
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
Another day, another great Nero Wolfe novel. What more need be said?
Tony
Stout, Rex. THE FATHER HUNT. (1968). ***.
Amy Denovo approached Archie Goodwin with a job. Her mother had just been killed by a hit-and-run driver and Amy inherited nearly a quarter of a million dollars. It seems that her father – whom Amy never knew – sent her mother $1,000 per month for many years. Mom never touched any of it. Amy’s assignment to Archie and Nero Wolfe: find my mother’s killer and find my father. This was a good case for our famous duo.
Tom
Jul 12, 2014 Tom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This reads like a bloated short story with contrived drama.
Usman
Dec 16, 2012 Usman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Then he switched from meat to words and said it was miscalled shish kebab. It should be seekh kebab. He spelled it. That was what it was called in India, where it originated. In Hindi or Urdu a seekh is a thin iron rod with a loop at one end and a point at the other, and a kebab is a meatball.

I'm truly impressed by an American writer to have known this about food from some 13,000 miles away back in 1950-60s.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 12 Jan 31, 2015 10:02AM
  • Murder in E Minor
  • The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • Poets and Murder
  • The Ivory Grin
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • Death Was the Other Woman
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)

“Wolfe: 'Our next step is obvious, but it must wait...'
Archie: It was nice to know the next step was obvious, but it would have been even nicer to know what it was.”
2 likes