Start by marking “Secrets of the Code: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code” as Want to Read:

Published April 8th 2004 by CDS Books in association with Squibnocket Partners LLC (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the Code

Sammy Sutton
Jun 20, 2011 Sammy Sutton rated it liked it
Seriously, I'm a little worn out with the whole Da Vinci Code 'Holy Vessel' controversy. Nevertheless, I still get a little caught up in the concepts surrounding it. Dan Burstein seems to be one of the more credible theorists. I enjoy his work a lot.
Carol
Oct 07, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
So far this book is raising more questions than it attempts to answer & I'm really enjoying it. The author's intention to get people thinking about the origins of Christianity and its subsequent evolution is well designed. I look forward to finishing my reading of this book.
Yana Rosli
Jul 03, 2009 Yana Rosli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what i got from this book is HEADACHE~...
Cat.
Nov 26, 2013 Cat. rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, history
Started this in July, put it away while on vacation and during the Great Vacation Readup, and now it's finally done. If you read and enjoyed The Da Vinci Code (which I did, two years ago, but it's only a thriller people!), this might pique your interest. Burstein has rounded up some of the sources that Dan Brown used and either reprinted the crux of their works or interviewed them specifically for this book. He then goes and finds a rebuttal for all this kooky stuff. :-)

It's a bit boggy at time
Keith Brough
Feb 12, 2009 Keith Brough rated it really liked it
This book is fun with a capitla F-U-N. It is, however, a very thick and acedemic book filled with excerpts and articles from published scholars. The DaVici COde is fiction. Yes. This book makes that very clear. But what the novel did to its audience is simple and healthy... it wet peoples appetite for reading, and made them curious about a slew of conspiracy theories as well as Christian history. This book has a smattering of every topic readers might be curious about. Interviews with ELain Page ...more
Teycordero
Aug 30, 2012 Teycordero rated it liked it
I read this book back in my high school days. I got curious from the graphic images of the famous painting Monalisa and the last supper of Leonardo da vinci. Did really Leonardo hid some secrets in his paintings? Merely this book collected facts from fiction in Dan Browns da vinci code. Dan Burstein has indeed edited an extensive far reaching book about the most controversial figure in the Christian history.
Shyam
May 13, 2011 Shyam rated it liked it
I have to admit that Dan Burstein has indeed edited a comprehensive book about the most controversial figure in the Christian history among other things. The book is especially enjoyable for it's extensive collection and distinction of the fact from fiction in Dan Brown's da Vinci Code.
It starts off with a promising note and urges you to recollect what you learned in the novel. But as the pages wear on it gets increasingly complicated and confusing.
I think you'll come to get the full impact onl
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 Ernest rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Solid if a bit stodgy. The books title faithfully attempted to tell the secrets of the Code and did it in a largely non-point of view manner, inserting excerpts of other works and interviews. However, the book attempted to cover much material and this may have detracted from its impact. Additionally, the books length might put people off reading it.
Joy Marie
Jun 24, 2009 Joy Marie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "The DaVinci Code"
This was a good book to get background information on the topics found in the book "The DaVinci Code". The author gave good information on both sides of several historical arguments highlighted by the book and allowed the reader to draw their own conclusions.
Jovy
Jun 24, 2013 Jovy rated it really liked it
Loved this! I watched the movie, read the book, saw the documentaries in the history and discovery channels and then this...I love the illustrated timetable, 'sacred feminine' and all about Leonardo.
Steven
Apr 15, 2016 Steven rated it it was ok
I did enjoy parts of this, however I was disappointed to find out it was just clippings from other books.

I would have given it a better rating, but the page by page account from the da vinci code book was just terrible.
Johanna
The history behind the Da Vinci Code has always fascinated me more than the fictive story. This book gives many interesting viewpoints in an objective way that gets me to find my own conclusions and thoughts about what might really have been true.
Alex Blance
Feb 26, 2016 Alex Blance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began to realize and consider many things, It helps me to correct some of my misconceptions about the early christianity..and it open my eyes toward the Bible we are using now...very interesting book...I am satisfied!
Emma Scholes
Dec 29, 2010 Emma Scholes marked it as to-read
I liked this book but it was very deep reading. It was hard to read sometimes as it got very technical. I still liked it. Most of the time I want to be entertained.

I will finish reading this book but I think it is a better reference book.
Scott
Nov 24, 2011 Scott rated it did not like it
snarky and dismissive. Da Vinci code is a grocery store novel, for cryin' out loud! Settle down! Disinfo company's book is much much better; after all there is a lot of mystery behind Mr. Brown's book that is quite legitimate.
Nadim Khalil
Nov 15, 2016 Nadim Khalil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read "The Davinci Code", but I watched the movie, this book has a lot of interesting ideas in it, it gives you a lot of conversation starters on religious ideas, old history and secret societies...
Carrie Piatkowski
Jan 03, 2011 Carrie Piatkowski rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Definitely a must-read.
Kat
After reading this book, I still think that the Da Vinci code by Dan Brown is one is the greatest books out there.
Karen L.
It's interesting but sometimes you get lost in the references, specially in the chapter of Mary Magdalen
Joshua Hosea
Feb 14, 2013 Joshua Hosea rated it liked it
Informative read.
Melissa
Mar 26, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to dip into....
Sanal
Sep 13, 2010 Sanal rated it liked it
I read it inspired by Da Vinci code. Well if you are mad about the conspiracies and want more than DaVinci code then go for it. Its just time kill.
Satheesh
Jun 07, 2011 Satheesh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring
very informative
Kenneth Opio
Jan 28, 2017 Kenneth Opio rated it liked it
It was an enlightening book. However, one would have to read it to coin their own opinion. I will nonetheless say this, one needs to be open minded to best understand the book.
Adih Respati
Jul 30, 2007 Adih Respati rated it liked it
Shelves: 07-religion
The occult in the story is indeed old news and that Dan Brown probably genuinely believes the fiction he wrote.
Tami
Aug 23, 2012 Tami rated it it was ok
Not as good as the fictional story, but it had some interesting parts.
Caprice
This is a non-fiction book on the material in The Da Vinci Code. It was very scholarly, but interesting nontheless and offered a balanced look at the themes mentioned in Dan Brown's bestseller.
Audrey
Nov 17, 2007 Audrey rated it it was ok
the book does address the major controversies brought on by the Da Vinci Code phenomenon, but it is not very well edited or organized.
Robert
May 07, 2008 Robert rated it it was ok
Read all this material before. Not particularly well edited.
msv56
  • The Illustrated History of Canada: A Canadian Classic, Now Completely Revised
  • Bloodline of the Holy Grail: The Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed
  • Heavens to Betsy!: And Other Curious Sayings
  • Ravensong
  • Welcome to the Episcopal Church: An Introduction to Its History, Faith, and Worship
  • Cracking the Da Vinci Code: The Unauthorized Guide to the Facts Behind Dan Brown's Bestselling Novel
  • A Guide To The Louvre