Start by marking “Mistletoe and Mayhem (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #18)” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe and Mayhem (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #18)

Mistletoe and Mayhem (Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries #18)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This holiday season there'll be murder under the mistletoe at the Pennyfoot Hotel...

As friends, family, and guests gather at the Pennyfoot Hotel to share the joys of the season, Cecily Sinclair Baxter and her staff are hustling and bustling more than ever. Cecily's friend Madeline arrives with her new baby and adds a kissing bough to the decorations. Cecily believes tha
Published November 2nd 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Mistletoe and Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistletoe and Mayhem

GEMS: A cozy holiday murder mystery with a special cameo star character guest. Mistletoe and Mayhem is an easy read that is surprisingly light despite the occurrence of four murders. Out of politeness and not wishing to ruin the guests holiday, the staff of the Pennyfoot do their best to keep the unfortunate events secret. However, this proves to be difficult and soon rumors spread dampening the holiday cheer. In the good old fashion tradition of whodunit mysteries, the actual investigator is an ...more
This is the first Pennyfoot Hotel mystery for me. I thought the characters were engaging and realistic, but I was very disappointed to spot two big holes in the plot, one of which was in the solution to the mystery. Several loose ends were not tied up at the end and made me feel the book was not well thought out.
This was a very light read. I didn't think the writing was terrific, nor did I think that the characters were more than caricatures. I don't think I'll be searching out this author to read more of her murder mysteries. However, there was nothing offensive in the book, and I can see pre-teens enjoying it.
The first book I read in this series of mysteries. It wasn't bad or good. Just a nice quick read to fill my time on a snowy winter day. I would read another book in the series.
Cecily Sinclair Baxter loves just about everything involving Christmas - decorating the Pennyfoot, celebrating with family and friends, caroling, giving gifts, even her friend Phoebe's disastrous pantomimes. The one thing she doesn't like is that the Pennyfoot seems like a magnet for murder during the Christmas season. Cecily hopes this Christmas will be murder-free but her hopes are quickly dashed when a member of her staff is murdered. Even worse, more murders quickly follow and Cecily fears a ...more
This Christmas mystery has all of the elements a cozy should have. It is a very cute book that leaves you wanting to read more about the characters. If you read a cozy expecting it to not be fluffy, you are reading the wrong genre! It is meant to be fluffy and cozy and not deep. People who criticize cozies for these reasons must not know that that's what cozies are.

Mistletoe and Mayhem is set in the southeastern coast of England in the Pennyfoot Country Club. The curse upon the Pennyfoot awaken
Barbara James-Richardson
Cecily is fearless when getting in touble in finding out who kill Ellie and the footman, Charlie, and the Honeymoon couple. How Sam Northcoot got his job I don't know. I enjoyed reading Kate's books. I looked forward in reading Mulled Murder.
Brenda Kirton
This was a good mystery, but there is a definite problem with believability. Who would ever go to such a hotel with so many murders on the premises? We as readers like a bunch of characters so much and we want them to go on in further stories. This is the first book in this series I have read. But surely a hotel with so many murders at Christmas as to have the "christmas curse" would be out of business. Or at the very least I would close the hotel myself over christmas just to save lives. Becaus ...more
Writing style was a little cuter than what I was looking for. Main plot was meh, but I want to know what happens to the side characters.
Julie Powell
i thought i had grabbed a karen Kingsbury book. wasn't horrible but definitely not a favorite.
Wonderful Christmas mystery.
Jim Sampson
i love this series. Set back in earlier days without that boredom of over using word. Kate Kingbury is a master in this series of entertaining with characters whjo become very well know to the reader of this series. Well written and a plot that can be easily followed. cannnot wait for next year Christmas mystery at the Pennyfoot.
I always enjoy the Pennyfoot Christmas mysteries. The characters are rich, and I particularly like the maid Gertie.

Like all the books in the series, there are holiday festivities intermixed with murder. I think what makes it work is how Kingsbury somehow gets the reader to care about all the recurring characters.
Kingsbury's holiday Pennyfoot books offer a cozy mystery in an elegant setting. This year the Christmas Curse is in full swing as the bodies start piling up and Madam Baxter may face a difficult choice in the near future. Complex plots with lots of red herrings mixed with upstairs-downstairs humor.
This book was ok...It started off really slow but once I got into it I like it pretty good.
I've read the whole series and this one seemed even fluffier, more poorly written and more poorly plotted than the rest. But I have a cold and it's the day after Christmas, so unchallenging fiction in bed is called for.
Nancy Bennett
Enjoyable read as always, though a little less "cozy" than previous books in the series. Not gory by any stretch of the imagination, but a little more graphic detail than previously written.
nothing terrible about it, but not that many likable people. One reviewer called Kingsbury's books cheerful, but this one surely wasn't. Probably will not seek out others in this series.
Susan Ginger
Kate Kingsbury is one of my favorite current mystery authors. I've enjoyed all the Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries I've read, and I'm keeping an eye out for the books I'm missing in the series.
It was ok, but I hate to have all these people dying at Christmas. What are these mystery writers thinking of? Oh, I know, ka-ching! Pre-world war I England is the setting.
The Christmas curse continues with another death at the Pennyfoot. I always enjoy revisiting the characters at the Pennyfoot and seeing what Gertie is up to. It was a fun read.
An enjoyable visit with the staff at the Pennyfoot Hotel. I was guessing 'til the end about the murderer, so it was an enjoyable mystery as well.
Another wonder and intriguing Christmas mystery at the Pennyfoot Hotel. This is one of my favorites of the series! Can't wait to read te next one.
Jul 16, 2012 Stephanie added it
Shelves: stop-reading
I did not care for the time period/setting that this was written in. I stopped reading it about the 4th chapter.
I enjoyed this book very much.
Lots of fun! Loved the characters and I'll look for more from this author.
Michelle Fidler
Another good cozy-historical in the Pennyfoot Hotel Christmas mysteries.
Adriana Jackson
Great holiday book! Loved these characters!
perfect light christmas mystery
Too predictable...
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #3)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • The Trip to Jerusalem
  • A Ghost for Christmas (Destiny Bay Cozy Mysteries Book 1)
  • Treacherous Toys
  • A Holly, Jolly Murder (Claire Malloy, #12)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • Merry, Merry Ghost (Bailey Ruth, #2)
  • Mistletoe and Mayhem
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • Fiber and Brimstone (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #8)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Twelve Drummers Drumming (Father Christmas Mystery #1)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
Kate Kingsbury grew up in London, England, and at a very early age began telling stories to her school friends during the London Blitz of WW II while huddling in bomb shelters. Kate moved to the U.S. in the early sixties, and had passed her 50th birthday when she published her first book. Writing as Doreen Roberts, (her real name) she published 26 romance novels for Harlequin/Silhouette. In 1991 h ...more
More about Kate Kingsbury...

Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • Do Not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #2)
  • Service for Two (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #3)
  • Eat, Drink, And Be Buried (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #4)
  • Check-out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #5)
  • Grounds for Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #6)
  • Pay the Piper (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #7)
  • Chivalry Is Dead (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #8)
  • Ring for Tomb Service (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #9)
  • Death with Reservations (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #10)
Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1) Do Not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #2) A Bicycle Built For Murder (Manor House Mysteries, #1) Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14) Ringing In Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #16)