Start by marking “Mistletoe and Mayhem (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #18)” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe and Mayhem (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #18)

Mistletoe and Mayhem (Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries #18)

This holiday season there'll be murder under the mistletoe at the Pennyfoot Hotel...

As friends, family, and guests gather at the Pennyfoot Hotel to share the joys of the season, Cecily Sinclair Baxter and her staff are hustling and bustling more than ever. Cecily's friend Madeline arrives with her new baby and adds a kissing bough to the decorations. Cecily believes tha
Published November 2nd 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Mistletoe and Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistletoe and Mayhem

Kimberly Yates
Dec 08, 2015 Kimberly Yates rated it really liked it
Another fantastic and engrossing Pennyfoot Christmas mystery. I love all of the characters and look forward to seeing what situations will be presented in each of the coming novels.

Mistletoe and Mayhem, picks up a year later from the last book. Jumping right into a murder of two of the Pennyfoot servants. More murders occur throughout and it would seem a serial killer has come from London, bringing horror all the way to Badgers End.
The biggest surprise was the possibility that Sir Arthur Conan
Charlie
Dec 06, 2010 Charlie rated it liked it
GEMS: A cozy holiday murder mystery with a special cameo star character guest. Mistletoe and Mayhem is an easy read that is surprisingly light despite the occurrence of four murders. Out of politeness and not wishing to ruin the guests holiday, the staff of the Pennyfoot do their best to keep the unfortunate events secret. However, this proves to be difficult and soon rumors spread dampening the holiday cheer. In the good old fashion tradition of whodunit mysteries, the actual investigator is an ...more
Marci
Dec 30, 2010 Marci rated it it was ok
This is the first Pennyfoot Hotel mystery for me. I thought the characters were engaging and realistic, but I was very disappointed to spot two big holes in the plot, one of which was in the solution to the mystery. Several loose ends were not tied up at the end and made me feel the book was not well thought out.
Becca
Jan 26, 2011 Becca rated it it was ok
This was a very light read. I didn't think the writing was terrific, nor did I think that the characters were more than caricatures. I don't think I'll be searching out this author to read more of her murder mysteries. However, there was nothing offensive in the book, and I can see pre-teens enjoying it.
Jane
Feb 02, 2014 Jane rated it liked it
The first book I read in this series of mysteries. It wasn't bad or good. Just a nice quick read to fill my time on a snowy winter day. I would read another book in the series.
Julie
Dec 07, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
It's Christmas at the Pennyfoot Country Club. When a footman is found dead in the gardens it appears the annual Christmas curse has struck again. The doctor and constable agree it was a tragic accident, but Cecily suspects otherwise. At the same time the new young maid is reported missing. Soon there will be more murders and Madeline's young baby will disappear. The local constable thinks everything can wait until the New Year when the Inspector returns from his trip France. Cecily has other ide ...more
Drebbles
Jun 26, 2013 Drebbles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Cecily Sinclair Baxter loves just about everything involving Christmas - decorating the Pennyfoot, celebrating with family and friends, caroling, giving gifts, even her friend Phoebe's disastrous pantomimes. The one thing she doesn't like is that the Pennyfoot seems like a magnet for murder during the Christmas season. Cecily hopes this Christmas will be murder-free but her hopes are quickly dashed when a member of her staff is murdered. Even worse, more murders quickly follow and Cecily fears a ...more
Christy
Dec 20, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
This Christmas mystery has all of the elements a cozy should have. It is a very cute book that leaves you wanting to read more about the characters. If you read a cozy expecting it to not be fluffy, you are reading the wrong genre! It is meant to be fluffy and cozy and not deep. People who criticize cozies for these reasons must not know that that's what cozies are.

Mistletoe and Mayhem is set in the southeastern coast of England in the Pennyfoot Country Club. The curse upon the Pennyfoot awaken
Rhonda Nash
Jan 06, 2016 Rhonda Nash rated it liked it
I will miss these Pennyfoot Christmas mysteries...my understanding is that she isn't going to write anymore of the special Christmas ones...this was one I had not read so finally found it & have now read all the Christmas specials...guess that means I'll have to read the regular ones now because I do like these characters & the setting
Barbara James-Richardson
Dec 06, 2014 Barbara James-Richardson rated it it was amazing
Cecily is fearless when getting in touble in finding out who kill Ellie and the footman, Charlie, and the Honeymoon couple. How Sam Northcoot got his job I don't know. I enjoyed reading Kate's books. I looked forward in reading Mulled Murder.
Brenda Kirton
Feb 12, 2012 Brenda Kirton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a good mystery, but there is a definite problem with believability. Who would ever go to such a hotel with so many murders on the premises? We as readers like a bunch of characters so much and we want them to go on in further stories. This is the first book in this series I have read. But surely a hotel with so many murders at Christmas as to have the "christmas curse" would be out of business. Or at the very least I would close the hotel myself over christmas just to save lives. Becaus ...more
Flora
Writing style was a little cuter than what I was looking for. Main plot was meh, but I want to know what happens to the side characters.
Julie Powell
Dec 22, 2014 Julie Powell rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
i thought i had grabbed a karen Kingsbury book. wasn't horrible but definitely not a favorite.
Veronica
Dec 10, 2015 Veronica rated it really liked it
very good! I'm off to read the authors next book!
Scott
Jan 05, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
Wonderful Christmas mystery.
Jim Sampson
Feb 28, 2011 Jim Sampson rated it it was amazing
i love this series. Set back in earlier days without that boredom of over using word. Kate Kingbury is a master in this series of entertaining with characters whjo become very well know to the reader of this series. Well written and a plot that can be easily followed. cannnot wait for next year Christmas mystery at the Pennyfoot.
Grey853
Nov 25, 2010 Grey853 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy, holiday
I always enjoy the Pennyfoot Christmas mysteries. The characters are rich, and I particularly like the maid Gertie.

Like all the books in the series, there are holiday festivities intermixed with murder. I think what makes it work is how Kingsbury somehow gets the reader to care about all the recurring characters.
Chris
Dec 21, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Kingsbury's holiday Pennyfoot books offer a cozy mystery in an elegant setting. This year the Christmas Curse is in full swing as the bodies start piling up and Madam Baxter may face a difficult choice in the near future. Complex plots with lots of red herrings mixed with upstairs-downstairs humor.
Dorinda
Jan 10, 2014 Dorinda rated it liked it
This book was ok...It started off really slow but once I got into it I like it pretty good.
Camilla
Dec 27, 2010 Camilla rated it it was ok
I've read the whole series and this one seemed even fluffier, more poorly written and more poorly plotted than the rest. But I have a cold and it's the day after Christmas, so unchallenging fiction in bed is called for.
Nancy Bennett
Apr 17, 2015 Nancy Bennett rated it liked it
Enjoyable read as always, though a little less "cozy" than previous books in the series. Not gory by any stretch of the imagination, but a little more graphic detail than previously written.
Elaine
Nov 25, 2012 Elaine rated it it was ok
nothing terrible about it, but not that many likable people. One reviewer called Kingsbury's books cheerful, but this one surely wasn't. Probably will not seek out others in this series.
Susan Ginger
Mar 14, 2013 Susan Ginger rated it it was amazing
Kate Kingsbury is one of my favorite current mystery authors. I've enjoyed all the Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries I've read, and I'm keeping an eye out for the books I'm missing in the series.
Ruth
Mar 20, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it
It was ok, but I hate to have all these people dying at Christmas. What are these mystery writers thinking of? Oh, I know, ka-ching! Pre-world war I England is the setting.
Kristi
Feb 23, 2011 Kristi rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The Christmas curse continues with another death at the Pennyfoot. I always enjoy revisiting the characters at the Pennyfoot and seeing what Gertie is up to. It was a fun read.
Lynn
Mar 19, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, donated
An enjoyable visit with the staff at the Pennyfoot Hotel. I was guessing 'til the end about the murderer, so it was an enjoyable mystery as well.
RebeccaS
Jul 15, 2014 RebeccaS rated it it was amazing
Another wonder and intriguing Christmas mystery at the Pennyfoot Hotel. This is one of my favorites of the series! Can't wait to read te next one.
Stephanie
Jul 16, 2012 Stephanie added it
Shelves: stop-reading
I did not care for the time period/setting that this was written in. I stopped reading it about the 4th chapter.
Belinda
Dec 28, 2013 Belinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
I enjoyed this book very much.
Briansmom
Feb 08, 2012 Briansmom rated it liked it
Lots of fun! Loved the characters and I'll look for more from this author.
  • The Devil's Apprentice
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • A Holly, Jolly Murder (Claire Malloy, #12)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #3)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast, #11)
  • An Obsession With Butterflies: Our Long Love Affair With A Singular Insect
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • The Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper
  • What Are You Wearing to Die? (Thoroughly Southern, #10)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
Kate Kingsbury grew up in London, England, and at a very early age began telling stories to her school friends during the London Blitz of WW II while huddling in bomb shelters. Kate moved to the U.S. in the early sixties, and had passed her 50th birthday when she published her first book. Writing as Doreen Roberts, (her real name) she published 26 romance novels for Harlequin/Silhouette. In 1991 h ...more
More about Kate Kingsbury...

Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • Do Not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #2)
  • Service for Two (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #3)
  • Eat, Drink, And Be Buried (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #4)
  • Check-out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #5)
  • Grounds for Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #6)
  • Pay the Piper (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #7)
  • Chivalry Is Dead (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #8)
  • Ring for Tomb Service (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #9)
  • Death with Reservations (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #10)