Start by marking “Mackerel Sky: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Mackerel Sky: A Novel

Mackerel Sky: A Novel

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A novel of criminal intrigue, eccentric love and the power of women.

After a twenty-year absence, Guy Vidoq is returning home to meet his daughter for the first time. He discovers his mercurial daughter, Isabelle, has been raised in a bizzarre, cloistered environment by her libertine mother, Martine, who is now living with a young man, Harry, roughly the age of their daught
Published September 2nd 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published February 21st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mackerel Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mackerel Sky

Angie Abdou
Oct 08, 2008 Angie Abdou rated it really liked it
Martine might be the most original female character in English literature. For her alone, this book is worth reading. But there's much more. Be prepared to be surprised.
Indunil
Feb 27, 2015 Indunil rated it liked it
"Don't you ever think that it might be nice to fall in love with one person for your whole life? It might be nice to be someone's only love, someone's only lover. If that part of your brain could be filled with one face than you'd never have to compare it to any other face. You'd always know, walking and talking and sleeping and eating, whose eyes and nose and mouth you'll see when you turn your head."
Steven Buechler
May 25, 2012 Steven Buechler rated it really liked it
A great story dealing with the complicated nature of human relations (and a hint of criminality)

Page 35
The next day Guy and Belle, Sally and Martine all ransack Guy's house looking for hidden money. Guy is in charge of turning his father's drawers over on the bed and looking underneath for taped bills. Martine is in the closet, searching in his shoes and rummagin through shoeboxes of cards and photographs. Sally and Belle are downstairs, turning over chairs and tapping the floorboards with their
Lisa
Mar 08, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok
I love Nataleee Caple's work, but this book didn't cut it for me. This novel is more plot-driven than 'Plight of Happy People in an Ordinary World." It's about a woman, and her daughter, who run a counterfeiting operation out of small town in Canada. It's slow-moving in the beginning, but then the action picks up about a quarter of the way through. When it was finished, I just didn't feel anything for the characters.
Sara McMartin
This was one of the most strangest books I have ever read. I still can't quite figure out if I liked it or not. I thought the story in itself was quite ridiculous, but yet, it was written so well that I couldn't put it down and ended up reading it in a weekend.
John Lery
May 16, 2013 John Lery rated it really liked it
The first part of daughter-father conversation was somehow funny while the sensual parts were a bit awkwardly funny and crazy. The story started calm and flowing. The last part grew intense but ended not to good for me but was okay.
Betty
Dec 28, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it
An interesting romp of a read. I could not help but think this would make an amazing Coen brothers film. Funny, sad, tragic, quirky, with a little of that criminal element in it!
Dianne
Jul 06, 2011 Dianne added it
This was a quick little read, kind of a strange book, but I enjoyed it. I will save it for you Christy.
Elizabeth Varty
Elizabeth Varty marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Nancy Freund
Nancy Freund marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jonathan oquinn
Jonathan oquinn is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Jazmin
Jazmin marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Tabitha Vaccaro
Tabitha Vaccaro marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Marareann
Marareann marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Kimmy
Kimmy rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2014
Meagann
Meagann rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jun 13, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Dodge
Dodge added it
Jul 11, 2013
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Al
Al rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Suzanne Singh
Suzanne Singh rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013