Start by marking “The Big Jewish Book for Jews: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Really Jewish Jew” as Want to Read:

A hilarious compendium of traditional wisdom, recipes, and lore from the authors of the bestselling "Yiddish with Dick and Jane."
Modern Jews have forgotten cherished traditions and become, sadly, all- too assimilated. It's enough to make you "meshugeneh." Today's Jews need to relearn the old ways so that cultural identity means something other than laughing knowingly at
Published July 1st 2010 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about The Big Jewish Book for Jews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Jewish Book for Jews

Doris Jean
Apr 13, 2015 Doris Jean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with any bit of knowledge about Judaism.
Shelves: favorites, wit-humor
I loved it because it made me smile. It was witty and humorous with cute illustrations and tables. Some chapters: Introduction to "Hondling"; Fringe Benefits: The Tallit; How to Build a Sukkah; How to Change Your Name; How and Why To Make Chopped Liver; Learn to Embrace "Fiddler"; Use the Bible to Tell If Your Wife Is Unfaithful"; How to Build an Ark (Just in Case) – of Global Flooding.

Although it's light and funny, in parts the authors showed that they had a depth of knowledge of Judaism, and I
Shannon K
Cute, but I didn't really learn much about being Jewish except what's already a stereotype. I did discover, however, that many of my bizarre personality traits that I thought were just me are actually part of a rich religious and cultural heritage. Now I feel vindicated.
Dana
Jun 27, 2014 Dana rated it did not like it
I bought this book because I really enjoyed Yiddish with Dick and Jane. I did not enjoy this book. I thought I would actually learn something, but the book doesn't have that many facts about Judaism or being Jewish. It's mostly really bad jokes and some very basic Jewish facts. The author has a kind of depressing idea of what it is to be Jewish and it's mostly like a caricature of a Woody Allen type. I kept reading because I was hoping to find something plus I paid $17 for it. I wouldn't even le ...more
C. Derick
Dec 15, 2013 C. Derick rated it really liked it
While this book is funnier if you are a) Jewish and b) grew up in a Jewish community in the Northeast of the US, this book is fairly hilarious and yet insightful for key bits of Jewish cultural mentality. Covering both points of Jewish religion and the Jewish culture of the US post-War 2 but pre-1970s, it is a useful book as one laughs one's way into cultural literacy. Warning: it does rely on a lot of stereotypes but does so in a particular sardonic context.
TweenBookBlog
Feb 06, 2017 TweenBookBlog rated it really liked it
This Is not the review for the week

So I read the templeton twins books and I was looking at the authors books and saw they all had to do with Yiddish and Judisam (sorry for spelling) and I am Jewish so I was like yes and I was like yes so here we are a Judisam book
Jennifer Brower
May 20, 2013 Jennifer Brower rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on audio and it was really fun. In fact, I have listened to it in its entirety about 5 times in the past few months. The author made it fun and it helps to make Jewish culture understandable to the non-Jewish world. Whether born into a Jewish family, a convert, or just a friend, you will definitely laugh out loud :)
Judith
Apr 10, 2011 Judith rated it really liked it
Tongue-in-cheek (I think...) call for a return to the old Jewish way of living.
For the truly committed, and the curious who don't want to read a long, tedious
academic tome to get to the juicy stuff.
Joel Lantz
Nov 19, 2012 Joel Lantz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was like looking into a mirror at times. A very funny and informative book.
Stephanie
Apr 29, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Humorous
David Skies
May 08, 2011 David Skies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Hooray! I will now be better able to write believable, stereotypically Jewish characters as they would have appeared in the early 1950's! Thank you, Big Jewish Book for Jews!
Alana
Alana rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2010
Merry
Merry rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Kyle Yerdon
Kyle Yerdon rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Mrs. Martha Erskine
Mrs. Martha Erskine rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Elissa
Elissa rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Kami
Kami rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Leo Gambone
Leo Gambone rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Win Morgan
Win Morgan rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2017
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2017
Anthony Kanner
Anthony Kanner rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Julian Vaughan
Julian Vaughan rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Sunni Valvaneda
Sunni Valvaneda rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Katie TerBush
Katie TerBush rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Ned Friend
Ned Friend rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2015