Start by marking “The Big Jewish Book for Jews: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Really Jewish Jew” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A hilarious compendium of traditional wisdom, recipes, and lore from the authors of the bestselling "Yiddish with Dick and Jane."
Modern Jews have forgotten cherished traditions and become, sadly, all- too assimilated. It's enough to make you "meshugeneh." Today's Jews need to relearn the old ways so that cultural identity means something other than laughing knowingly at
Published July 1st 2010 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about The Big Jewish Book for Jews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Jewish Book for Jews

Shannon K
Cute, but I didn't really learn much about being Jewish except what's already a stereotype. I did discover, however, that many of my bizarre personality traits that I thought were just me are actually part of a rich religious and cultural heritage. Now I feel vindicated.
Dana
I bought this book because I really enjoyed Yiddish with Dick and Jane. I did not enjoy this book. I thought I would actually learn something, but the book doesn't have that many facts about Judaism or being Jewish. It's mostly really bad jokes and some very basic Jewish facts. The author has a kind of depressing idea of what it is to be Jewish and it's mostly like a caricature of a Woody Allen type. I kept reading because I was hoping to find something plus I paid $17 for it. I wouldn't even le ...more
C. Derick Varn
While this book is funnier if you are a) Jewish and b) grew up in a Jewish community in the Northeast of the US, this book is fairly hilarious and yet insightful for key bits of Jewish cultural mentality. Covering both points of Jewish religion and the Jewish culture of the US post-War 2 but pre-1970s, it is a useful book as one laughs one's way into cultural literacy. Warning: it does rely on a lot of stereotypes but does so in a particular sardonic context.
Jennifer Brower
I listened to this book on audio and it was really fun. In fact, I have listened to it in its entirety about 5 times in the past few months. The author made it fun and it helps to make Jewish culture understandable to the non-Jewish world. Whether born into a Jewish family, a convert, or just a friend, you will definitely laugh out loud :)
Judith
Tongue-in-cheek (I think...) call for a return to the old Jewish way of living.
For the truly committed, and the curious who don't want to read a long, tedious
academic tome to get to the juicy stuff.
David Skies
Hooray! I will now be better able to write believable, stereotypically Jewish characters as they would have appeared in the early 1950's! Thank you, Big Jewish Book for Jews!
Joel Lantz

It was like looking into a mirror at times. A very funny and informative book.
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Nate
Nate added it
Dec 01, 2014
Sharyn Settem-spradlin
Sharyn Settem-spradlin marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Gerry Shaps
Gerry Shaps marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Gabriella
Gabriella is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Charles Rabinovich
Charles Rabinovich marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Laurel Narizny
Laurel Narizny marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1) Yiddish with Dick and Jane National Lampoon's Doon How to Raise a Jewish Dog The Templeton Twins Make a Scene (Templeton Twins, #2)