Start by marking “The Big Jewish Book for Jews: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Really Jewish Jew” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A hilarious compendium of traditional wisdom, recipes, and lore from the authors of the bestselling "Yiddish with Dick and Jane."
Modern Jews have forgotten cherished traditions and become, sadly, all- too assimilated. It's enough to make you "meshugeneh." Today's Jews need to relearn the old ways so that cultural identity means something other than laughing knowingly at
Published July 1st 2010 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about The Big Jewish Book for Jews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Jewish Book for Jews

Doris Jean
Apr 13, 2015 Doris Jean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with any bit of knowledge about Judaism.
Shelves: favorites, wit-humor
I loved it because it made me smile. It was witty and humorous with cute illustrations and tables. Some chapters: Introduction to "Hondling"; Fringe Benefits: The Tallit; How to Build a Sukkah; How to Change Your Name; How and Why To Make Chopped Liver; Learn to Embrace "Fiddler"; Use the Bible to Tell If Your Wife Is Unfaithful"; How to Build an Ark (Just in Case) – of Global Flooding.

Although it's light and funny, in parts the authors showed that they had a depth of knowledge of Judaism, and I
Shannon K
Cute, but I didn't really learn much about being Jewish except what's already a stereotype. I did discover, however, that many of my bizarre personality traits that I thought were just me are actually part of a rich religious and cultural heritage. Now I feel vindicated.
Dana
I bought this book because I really enjoyed Yiddish with Dick and Jane. I did not enjoy this book. I thought I would actually learn something, but the book doesn't have that many facts about Judaism or being Jewish. It's mostly really bad jokes and some very basic Jewish facts. The author has a kind of depressing idea of what it is to be Jewish and it's mostly like a caricature of a Woody Allen type. I kept reading because I was hoping to find something plus I paid $17 for it. I wouldn't even le ...more
C. Derick Varn
While this book is funnier if you are a) Jewish and b) grew up in a Jewish community in the Northeast of the US, this book is fairly hilarious and yet insightful for key bits of Jewish cultural mentality. Covering both points of Jewish religion and the Jewish culture of the US post-War 2 but pre-1970s, it is a useful book as one laughs one's way into cultural literacy. Warning: it does rely on a lot of stereotypes but does so in a particular sardonic context.
Jennifer Brower
I listened to this book on audio and it was really fun. In fact, I have listened to it in its entirety about 5 times in the past few months. The author made it fun and it helps to make Jewish culture understandable to the non-Jewish world. Whether born into a Jewish family, a convert, or just a friend, you will definitely laugh out loud :)
Judith
Tongue-in-cheek (I think...) call for a return to the old Jewish way of living.
For the truly committed, and the curious who don't want to read a long, tedious
academic tome to get to the juicy stuff.
David Skies
Hooray! I will now be better able to write believable, stereotypically Jewish characters as they would have appeared in the early 1950's! Thank you, Big Jewish Book for Jews!
Joel Lantz

It was like looking into a mirror at times. A very funny and informative book.
Morgan Ostrowsky
Morgan Ostrowsky marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Junior
Junior added it
Mar 17, 2015
Malgorzata
Malgorzata marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Sharyn Settem-spradlin
Sharyn Settem-spradlin marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Gerry Shaps
Gerry Shaps marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1) Yiddish with Dick and Jane National Lampoon's Doon How to Raise a Jewish Dog The Templeton Twins Make a Scene (Templeton Twins, #2)