Start by marking “The Dark Horse (The Dark Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Horse (The Dark Horse, #1)

The Dark Horse (The Dark Horse #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,414 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Paul Hammond is dead. That’s what tough and sexy LAPD Detective Daniel Moran tells his lover, Hollywood actor Sean Fairchild—and Sean wants to believe him, but what about those threatening postcards in Hammond’s handwriting? What about the fact that he’s seeing Hammond everywhere he goes? Yes, Sean’s had some emotional problems in the past, but that was a long time ago and ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Horse

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
4.5 stars.****Review completed June 21, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-06-20um174348_zps993b494a.png

Lanyon had me at…

I stared for a long time while Dan's deep voice receded into the cries of the gulls overhead and the pound of the waves on the beach a few yards away, until those too faded to a kind of white noise.

photo tumblr_mble8kuKci1qg39ewo1_500_zps3026d5eb.gif

I had an inkling this would be good. And it was actually more than good.

Dan's large hand slid under my fingers nervously fiddling with a teaspoon. "It's over, chief. Trust me."
"I do." It came out more husky than I'd intended.
He turned my h
julio
Feb 08, 2016 julio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
irritatingly neurotic protagonist whines his way through a dully-plotted mystery to a weak-sauce conclusion.

DISLIKE.
Deeze
Another winner for me.

I loved this story. It was a bit different from my previous Josh Lanyon reads. This time the Cop wasn’t the closeted jerk. Instead Dan was the one most comfortable with his homosexuality and Sean was the more complexed character.

The story line was as interesting as the other Josh Lanyon mysteries I’ve read. It kept me guessing and even after I figured it out, or at least had my suspicions confirmed, I was still reading as fast as I could to get to the climax.

Dan and Sean ha
Breann

Wait. Did I just read book 1 of a series or book 2? It says book 1, but it really felt like book 2. Oh well, I still enjoyed the hell out of The Dark Horse.

There wasn’t much background given in this story, we’re kind of thrust into the relationship between Sean and Dan and into the mystery. Hence, why this felt like a continuation of a series instead of the beginning. I would have liked some buildup of the relationship or some background on the stalking and was a little confused from th
Trioseven7
Mar 16, 2016 Trioseven7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, audible
Audible Version - narrator: Jason Clarke

What a fantastic story, I loved the characters and the plot was wonderfully creative (Lanyon, but of course). How she can pack so much into so few words will never cease to amaze me.

Jason Clarke's narration was perfect.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
What I love about Josh Lanyon's narrators is that they are not perfect and they know it. In this book Sean analyzes himself with clarity and detachment and no self-pity. For the reader it's really fascinating.

Sean has a lot of personal issues and he carries a bag of past anxiety. He's been stalked and he's fallen for Dan, the cop who was protecting him. His stalker should be dead, but Sean is still being threatened.

The stalker, his natural insecurity and the rejection for a movie part he wants b
Kati
Oh, how I love Josh Lanyon's totally screwed up characters - the main hero in this book, Sean, was suicidal in the past. I loved Dan and his protective nature - even though he did go over the top from time to time, that's true - and it pained me to see how his and Sean's relationship went all screwy because they couldn't just talk, both having trust issues. The misunderstandings kept piling up and Steve's meddling didn't help. To sum it up, I loved it!
May 24, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-fiction
t’s a Hollywood cliché: the hot and handsome bodyguard. But in the case of LAPD Detective Daniel Moran, it’s all true. Dan is everything Sean ever wanted in a leading man, but Dan’s kind of an old-fashioned guy. It’s his job to keep Sean safe and in one piece — happy is someone else’s problem.

As tension mounts, Sean can’t help turning to Dan, while Dan is finding it harder and harder to say no. Their only chance of a happy ending is if Dan can keep Sean alive — but what happens when he uncovers
ElaineY
Like most of the m/m romances I've bought, Dark Horse focuses on the romance with a bit of suspense to spice things up. I've realized that I'm turning to more and more gay erotica to get my romance/erotica fix because they, surprisingly, are more emotionally satisfying than the m/f romances being written these days.

Norma
Oh Josh. How is it that you manage to make me feel happy and sad in the same sentence? Beautiful story. Twists and turns, most of which I saw, but still made me stop and think. It's amazing to me how this author can fit so much into short stories and never have to resort to any nonsense to keep his story going.
Natasha
WELL BUTTER ME UP AND CALL ME A BISCUIT.
(Yeah, I dunno.)

Classic Lanyon. Do I start each of my Lanyon reviews by saying "classic Lanyon"? Because I feel as if i do... anyway.

I'm in a book slump right now. Nothing I read I enjoy. Well, a few things, but most I'm not loving lately. EXCEPT LANYON BRINGS ME BACK INTO THE SUNSHINE!

I love mystery novels with CRAZY BITCHES. This one had a crazy bitch or two in it and I love that. I actually (sure, maybe I'm a bit dumb) didn't know who the culprit was un
Jennifer☠Pher☠
May 25, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Lessons learned, um, never? Last night I chose this book to read today. I figured I would start it in the morning, knowing there were plans for the day, with no worries. I'd start it, it's short, all will be ok. Except, because I will never learn, it wasn't. As is with me and Lanyon, I couldn't put this one down, again.

So, what did I think? I loved it, loved it, LOVED IT!! I think you will love it too! Read.
Kikirocks
Apr 08, 2015 Kikirocks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
LOVED IT ! Great and interesting case/plot and the two MC's are just perfect together.
Katie(babs)
May 24, 2012 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Horse is an excellent mystery/romance about Hollywood actor, Sean Fairchild and LAPD Detective Dan Moran, who is also a bodyguard to the Hollywood elite. The Dark Horse begins where Sean is trying to get his life back on track after being stalked by a fan. His stalker is dead and Dan, his former bodyguard, is now his lover. We see things from Sean’s POV and his voice and internal dialogue was very enjoyable. Sean is simply adorable and the relationship he has with the older and rugged D ...more
Edina Rose
I usually don't like Hollywood characters/world (too shallow), and initially I refrained from buying this Josh Lanyon. I'm happy I finally gave in.

This is not an easy relationship, I don't trust them to make it the long run. I hope there will be more sequels than White Horse because I want to see how the relationship can work, how it will evolve along the years.

Will Dan keep being the caretaker? Will Sean learn to be less self-centred? And what about the juggling of two demanding careers? And w
Karéz
Nov 07, 2014 Karéz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, m-m-amor
Another captivating story, that i couldn't put it down.
Josh Lanyon. is the man when it comes to mystery,short books...
Tami (synchro from BL)
This is the second part in the series after "the white knight". I loved it. It is a typical Lanyon novel and has two great main characters and a good suspense part - simply great.

Ije the Devourer of Books
Enjoyable, although I solved the mystery way before the end. Still, this is one of my favourite authors and the writing, the pace, the characters were just perfect.
Heather C
May 24, 2012 Heather C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, novella, ebook, m-m
What a totally twisted story, and yet so beautiful.
Johanna
First of all: If you haven't read The Dark Horse and The White Knight yet, I think you should prepare to read them in a row, because the books twine together very nicely.

The Dark Horse was the first title Josh Lanyon wrote specifically for the m/m market. So, if you really stop to think about it, this book kind of made history, right?

What I most liked about The Dark Horse was the intimate moments between Sean and Dan: When they were talking, touching, holding each other and making love. Most of
Jon
This novella was one roller-coaster ride!!! I thoroughly enjoyed "The Dark Horse"; As a reader, I felt like I was "dropped" in to the novella after so much had happened; the stalker, Paul Hammond was dead (or was he?), the Hollywood actor, Sean Fairchild had been stalked for a while before the stalker's death and assighed a body-guard, the hunky LAPD Dan Moran....therefore, I was immediately captivated. I read the novella over two days - I couldn't put it down!!!

My only disappointment is that th
Sunne
May 09, 2013 Sunne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book, the second one would be "The White Knight".

I liked both books very much.

Sean, the actor, and Dan, the cop are a couple. Originally Dan had been Sean's bodyguard while a madman had tried to kill him. Now we get to know them after this, the madman is dead but Sean still sees him, gets postcards and feel like he is going ....crazy. Now there is the problem, Sean has mental problems so he is constantly struggling to not loose his mind. He believes it's not his imagination,
Tully Vincent
Nov 24, 2015 Tully Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Well... I didn't like the doggie getting killed by the bad guy... but the rest of this story made up for it. Loved both MC and plan to start on book two tonight.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Since Josh is inconsistent with whether he has a happy ending, this one was definitely nerve wracking. I still enjoyed it a lot, despite the fact that the MC finds dogs annoying.

Because I always want to know if there's a happy ending or not, I'm going to start putting that in my reviews in spoiler tags, especially with Mr. Lanyon.

Happy ending? (view spoiler)
Star
Clearly, this is one of Lanyon's first books -- the observations and characters aren't as nuanced as I have come to expect from this author. However, I can see the origins of the Adrien English series here (one of my favorite series of all time); so, it was enjoyable nonetheless. Although I found Sean ridiculously whiny and overwrought.
Fangtasia
May 24, 2012 Fangtasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the 'Adrien English Mystery' series
Like everything else from Josh Lanyon, fabulous story, characters so real that you miss them when you finish the book. If you liked the 'Adrien English Mystery' series, you will enjoy 'The Dark Horse'.
Nichole (Dirrty H)
May 24, 2012 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2010
I liked this a lot, but it's a good thing I knew there was a sequel, or I would have been mega pissed about the ending. I see there was 2 years between publishing dates - how many people staged a riot??
Lotta
Dec 11, 2015 Lotta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as part of an audiobook bundle, but I still wanted to review the books separately. 3.5ish. The narrator really did good.
Fani
Really good stuff but with a little less drama that #2, so I liked that one best:)
Lala
Originally read on November 15, 2013.
Re-read on May 14, 2015.
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Like Coffee and Doughnuts (Dino Martini Mysteries, #1)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Nine Lights Over Edinburgh
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

The Dark Horse (2 books)
  • The White Knight  (The Dark Horse, #2)

“What I like about cooking is that, so long as you follow the recipe exactly, everything always turns out perfect. It’s too bad there’s no recipe for happiness. Happiness is more like pastry—which is to say that you can take pains to keep cool and not overwork the dough, but if you don’t have that certain light touch, your best efforts still fall flat.

The work-around is to buy what you need. I’m talking about pastry, not happiness, although money does make things easier all around.”
15 likes
“What the hell were the odds of attracting two stalkers within a year? Was it my aftershave?” 1 likes