Start by marking “The Dark Horse (The Dark Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Horse (The Dark Horse, #1)

The Dark Horse (The Dark Horse #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,155 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Paul Hammond is dead. That’s what tough and sexy LAPD Detective Daniel Moran tells his lover, Hollywood actor Sean Fairchild—and Sean wants to believe him, but what about those threatening postcards in Hammond’s handwriting? What about the fact that he’s seeing Hammond everywhere he goes? Yes, Sean’s had some emotional problems in the past, but that was a long time ago and ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Horse

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
4.5 stars.****Review completed June 21, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-06-20um174348_zps993b494a.png

Lanyon had me at…

I stared for a long time while Dan's deep voice receded into the cries of the gulls overhead and the pound of the waves on the beach a few yards away, until those too faded to a kind of white noise.

photo tumblr_mble8kuKci1qg39ewo1_500_zps3026d5eb.gif

I had an inkling this would be good. And it was actually more than good.

Dan's large hand slid under my fingers nervously fiddling with a teaspoon. "It's over, chief. Trust me."
"I do." It came out more husky than I'd intended.
He turned my h
Sandy
I liked it a lot but would have liked it more if it weren't in first person. But Josh Lanyon writes most times in first person, so I've gotten a bit used to it. Probably more like 4.5

Hollywood actor, Sean, lives in fear because he isn't so sure the man, Paul Hammond, who was stalking him is really dead. His new boyfriend, Dan, assures him no one could have survived the horrific car crash that ended the police pursuit of Hammond. He should know, he's one of the cops involved in the whole pursuit/
Deeze
Another winner for me.

I loved this story. It was a bit different from my previous Josh Lanyon reads. This time the Cop wasn’t the closeted jerk. Instead Dan was the one most comfortable with his homosexuality and Sean was the more complexed character.

The story line was as interesting as the other Josh Lanyon mysteries I’ve read. It kept me guessing and even after I figured it out, or at least had my suspicions confirmed, I was still reading as fast as I could to get to the climax.

Dan and Sean ha
Isaac
I enjoyed this book. The plot was just about engaging enough to keep me reading, and the main suspense element had just the right amount of intrigue.

Note my use of the word 'just'.

I didn't loooooove this book. The characters didn't resonate with me-neither were particularly likeable-and, returning to the same problem I've had with Lanyon recently, I felt like I'd read it all from him before.

Just how many times can he get away with recycling Adrien and Jake?

As much as the formula works, and as mu
Breann

Wait. Did I just read book 1 of a series or book 2? It says book 1, but it really felt like book 2. Oh well, I still enjoyed the hell out of The Dark Horse.

There wasn’t much background given in this story, we’re kind of thrust into the relationship between Sean and Dan and into the mystery. Hence, why this felt like a continuation of a series instead of the beginning. I would have liked some buildup of the relationship or some background on the stalking and was a little confused from th
Kati
Oh, how I love Josh Lanyon's totally screwed up characters - the main hero in this book, Sean, was suicidal in the past. I loved Dan and his protective nature - even though he did go over the top from time to time, that's true - and it pained me to see how his and Sean's relationship went all screwy because they couldn't just talk, both having trust issues. The misunderstandings kept piling up and Steve's meddling didn't help. To sum it up, I loved it!
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
What I love about Josh Lanyon's narrators is that they are not perfect and they know it. In this book Sean analyzes himself with clarity and detachment and no self-pity. For the reader it's really fascinating.

Sean has a lot of personal issues and he carries a bag of past anxiety. He's been stalked and he's fallen for Dan, the cop who was protecting him. His stalker should be dead, but Sean is still being threatened.

The stalker, his natural insecurity and the rejection for a movie part he wants b
ElaineY
Like most of the m/m romances I've bought, Dark Horse focuses on the romance with a bit of suspense to spice things up. I've realized that I'm turning to more and more gay erotica to get my romance/erotica fix because they, surprisingly, are more emotionally satisfying than the m/f romances being written these days.

Norma
Oh Josh. How is it that you manage to make me feel happy and sad in the same sentence? Beautiful story. Twists and turns, most of which I saw, but still made me stop and think. It's amazing to me how this author can fit so much into short stories and never have to resort to any nonsense to keep his story going.
t’s a Hollywood cliché: the hot and handsome bodyguard. But in the case of LAPD Detective Daniel Moran, it’s all true. Dan is everything Sean ever wanted in a leading man, but Dan’s kind of an old-fashioned guy. It’s his job to keep Sean safe and in one piece — happy is someone else’s problem.

As tension mounts, Sean can’t help turning to Dan, while Dan is finding it harder and harder to say no. Their only chance of a happy ending is if Dan can keep Sean alive — but what happens when he uncovers
Natasha
WELL BUTTER ME UP AND CALL ME A BISCUIT.
(Yeah, I dunno.)

Classic Lanyon. Do I start each of my Lanyon reviews by saying "classic Lanyon"? Because I feel as if i do... anyway.

I'm in a book slump right now. Nothing I read I enjoy. Well, a few things, but most I'm not loving lately. EXCEPT LANYON BRINGS ME BACK INTO THE SUNSHINE!

I love mystery novels with CRAZY BITCHES. This one had a crazy bitch or two in it and I love that. I actually (sure, maybe I'm a bit dumb) didn't know who the culprit was un
Katie(babs)
The Dark Horse is an excellent mystery/romance about Hollywood actor, Sean Fairchild and LAPD Detective Dan Moran, who is also a bodyguard to the Hollywood elite. The Dark Horse begins where Sean is trying to get his life back on track after being stalked by a fan. His stalker is dead and Dan, his former bodyguard, is now his lover. We see things from Sean’s POV and his voice and internal dialogue was very enjoyable. Sean is simply adorable and the relationship he has with the older and rugged D ...more
Karéz
Another captivating story, that i couldn't put it down.
Josh Lanyon. is the man when it comes to mystery,short books...
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Lessons learned, um, never? Last night I chose this book to read today. I figured I would start it in the morning, knowing there were plans for the day, with no worries. I'd start it, it's short, all will be ok. Except, because I will never learn, it wasn't. As is with me and Lanyon, I couldn't put this one down, again.

So, what did I think? I loved it, loved it, LOVED IT!! I think you will love it too! Read.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Enjoyable, although I solved the mystery way before the end. Still, this is one of my favourite authors and the writing, the pace, the characters were just perfect.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
80% price drop right NOW at Amazon Us for $0.99!!! 6/13/13!!
Heather C
What a totally twisted story, and yet so beautiful.
Johanna
First of all: If you haven't read The Dark Horse and The White Knight yet, I think you should prepare to read them in a row, because the books twine together very nicely.

The Dark Horse was the first title Josh Lanyon wrote specifically for the m/m market. So, if you really stop to think about it, this book kind of made history, right?

What I most liked about The Dark Horse was the intimate moments between Sean and Dan: When they were talking, touching, holding each other and making love. Most of
Jon
This novella was one roller-coaster ride!!! I thoroughly enjoyed "The Dark Horse"; As a reader, I felt like I was "dropped" in to the novella after so much had happened; the stalker, Paul Hammond was dead (or was he?), the Hollywood actor, Sean Fairchild had been stalked for a while before the stalker's death and assighed a body-guard, the hunky LAPD Dan Moran....therefore, I was immediately captivated. I read the novella over two days - I couldn't put it down!!!

My only disappointment is that th
Edina Rose
I usually don't like Hollywood characters/world (too shallow), and initially I refrained from buying this Josh Lanyon. I'm happy I finally gave in.

This is not an easy relationship, I don't trust them to make it the long run. I hope there will be more sequels than White Horse because I want to see how the relationship can work, how it will evolve along the years.

Will Dan keep being the caretaker? Will Sean learn to be less self-centred? And what about the juggling of two demanding careers? And w
Snowtulip
3.5

This was a straightforward, quick, mystery. The story offered me characters that I could enjoy learning about and provided a strong chemistry between the couple. For some reason I didn't connect as stronly as I usually do with the story or characters, but anticipate that will change as I read the next book in the series.
Tami (synchro from BL)
This is the second part in the series after "the white knight". I loved it. It is a typical Lanyon novel and has two great main characters and a good suspense part - simply great.

Fani
Really good stuff but with a little less drama that #2, so I liked that one best:)
Trix
I would give this a 3.5 star rating.

(view spoiler)
Elisa Rolle
What strange way to start a novel: the two main characters, Sean and Dan, have met some weeks before, but we read their story after they have decided to live together.

Sean is an actor stalked by a mad fan. Dan is the cop assigned to his case. Now the stalker maybe is dead (not for sure), and Sean and Dan live together. But someone continues to blackmail Sean and he begins to question his relationship with Dan.

Sean is a 25 years old nice guy who has made outing in the worst way: trying to kill
Brenda (b)
There's a mystery and some terrific characters and I loved it. I really liked these guys and they felt real to me. Sean and Dan had a bit of a rocky relationship, but their situation escalated their insecurities. I may have guessed "who dunnit" but I was still kept anxiously reading to the end to find out how these two would work things out between themselves. The ending was very sweet and held lots of promise for their future but I'm a person who likes things spelled out, so I was eager to star ...more
Star
Clearly, this is one of Lanyon's first books -- the observations and characters aren't as nuanced as I have come to expect from this author. However, I can see the origins of the Adrien English series here (one of my favorite series of all time); so, it was enjoyable nonetheless. Although I found Sean ridiculously whiny and overwrought.
Sunne Manello
This is the first book, the second one would be "The White Knight".

I liked both books very much.

Sean, the actor, and Dan, the cop are a couple. Originally Dan had been Sean's bodyguard while a madman had tried to kill him. Now we get to know them after this, the madman is dead but Sean still sees him, gets postcards and feel like he is going ....crazy. Now there is the problem, Sean has mental problems so he is constantly struggling to not loose his mind. He believes it's not his imagination,
Gnomad
Read this and its sequel, The White Knight, based on a couple of recs. And I agree that the writing is good and the story well plotted, particularly the second book (which is sort of a weird sequel with prequel flashbacks). However, I just can't get into a story where I dislike the protagonist, and Sean was kind of a whiny basket case who couldn't take a compliment to save his life. I thought perhaps this would be something that he grows from and there is more character development that takes pl ...more
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
A quick read, I didn't think it was that great until about the half way point, when it started to really pick up and I got caught up in the suspense and emotion. I love how this was written with a kind of choppy feel to the scenes. They were rather short and would jump hours over a period of a few days, which gave little snatches into Sean's life, and felt very candid and indie movie-esque.

It was a pretty dark and emotional read once I related to Sean and began to learn his history with break d
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • The Salisbury Key
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Hard Fall (Deputy Joe, #1)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three- ...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) Fair Game (All's Fair, #1) A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)

“What I like about cooking is that, so long as you follow the recipe exactly, everything always turns out perfect. It’s too bad there’s no recipe for happiness. Happiness is more like pastry—which is to say that you can take pains to keep cool and not overwork the dough, but if you don’t have that certain light touch, your best efforts still fall flat.

The work-around is to buy what you need. I’m talking about pastry, not happiness, although money does make things easier all around.”
14 likes
“What the hell were the odds of attracting two stalkers within a year? Was it my aftershave?” 0 likes