The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)

The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  94 reviews

Bo Tully, sheriff of Blight county, Idaho -- and a fellow who dropped twenty pounds on Atkins -- had been thinking about asking out Jan Whittle, his grade-school sweetheart. Problem is, he's already promised to celebrate his dad's seventy-fifth birthday with him. Thwarted romance proves to be the least of Bo's problems, however, when a dead body turns up on Batim Scragg's

Published January 2nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2006)

Carrie
Mar 09, 2010 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Patrick McManus fans, but everyone should try it
I love Patrick McManus. He has a great sense of humor and can give you a vivid picture of the scene or action in just a few words. His characters come to life, and I do mean "characters".

This book is a Sheriff Bo Tully mystery. If you like Bo Tully, you'll like this book. It's a sure thing. It's fun easy, vacation reading. These books are kind of like McManus's humor books with some fictional mystery story added.

I bet older guys who hunt and fish really like these books. Bo Tully is down to ea...more
Marfita
Amusing dialog, interesting mystery, but mostly what I took out of it was Tully's take on food stamps and poverty in reaction to Everett, who complained about having to support lazy people who should go out and get a job:

The first thing we need to do is to withdraw all support from poor people. If they can't earn their own way, they starve. …
Of course, we wouldn't want women and children and babies and old people staving to death out in public, all bony and their eyes bulging out and like that....more
Tim Lewis
Premise: Bo Tully is the sheriff of the rural Blight County, Idaho, where nothing hardly ever happens and everyone knows each other. When Sheriff Tully is called out to a murder scene in Famine, he brings along Pap, his seventy-five year old father and previous sheriff, as a birthday present. The scene turns out to be more of a gift than he could have even dreamed.

A man from LA is found dead on Batim Scragg’s ranch and it is up to Sheriff Bo to figure out who the killer is and if they are still...more
Sam
Feb 19, 2012 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Patrick McManus has written a very humorous, quirky murder mystery. I found myself chuckling and smirking throughout this fun book. The Blight Way is set in Blight County, Idaho in a backwoods town with a cast of townsfolk that make the story as fun to read as the mystery itself.

Blight County Sheriff Bo Tully has a great 75th birthday present for his father, a murder in the neighboring town of Famine. When they arrive to find the well-dressed body of a stranger hanging over the fence on the Scra...more
LJ
THE BLIGHT WAY (Police Procedural-Idaho-Cont) – VG
McManus, Patrick F. – 1st in series
Simon & Schuster, 2006- US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780743280471
*** Bo Tully is a widower and the sheriff of Blight County, Idaho, as was his father. Bantim Scragg’s and his sons are not known as law-abiding citizens so when a call comes in that they are reporting a body on their fence, it gets Tully’s attention. When more victims are found, clearly not locals, the crime takes on a different focus.
*** Patrick F. M...more
Patricia
I just finished reading Blight by Patrick McManus on my Kindle. This is the book that Sandy's brother in law recommended for our community read. I laughed and laughed and truly enjoyed the book so much that I'm going to read the rest of the series on my Kindle at camp next week. I also learned a new way to cuss that I will try out at camp.

I remember reading his column in Field and Stream and Outdoor Life.

This a quote from one on his reviewers:

"This is only the second book I've read by Patrick M...more
Rob
I'm a longtime fan of McManus from reading his stories in Field & Stream. I didn't know what to expect from his as a mystery writer, but I was pleased with what I found. Bo Tully is a realist, and an 'everyday' man who dislikes complications, much like McManus' narrator sees himself in the stories. At the same time he's beset by outlandish characters, from the Scraggs to his own father, with whom he has to contend, again, much like the narrator in the stories. The difference is that this nov...more
Tim Schneider
Growing up there was a mad scramble for the mailbox when the new Field and Stream was delivered. The scramble was largely to see who got to read the new story by Patrick McManus. Over the years I've read and listened to most of his short work. They're great audio for car trips. And my sons loved having them read to them for bedtime.

The Blight Way is maybe a shade closer to a 3 1/2 star than four. It's a decent mystery/police procedural. But what makes it enjoyable is the humor that McManus adds...more
Bryn
The characters are fun and I found myself laughing aloud at times. I read the audio version and at times the volume would change drastically from sentence to sentence, shouting, then mumbling, then shouting again, so I missed a bit of the story.
Brenda
Jun 11, 2013 Brenda rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Heidi Waterhouse
When my googling for a previous blog post revealed that Patrick McManus wrote some mystery novels, I had to know. Great or lousy? The answer is somewhere in between... the funny gets a little in the way of the mysteries, and the dead bodies get a little in the way of the funny. For a McManus afficionado, you find that Bo gets himself into a few situations that are awfully similar to positions Patrick found himself in.

On the positive side, it was very funny. Also, it did a good job of introducing...more
Lil
This was one of the rare books that I stopped reading mid-way, doubly sorry for such a beloved author. Since being introduced to McManus at the age of 10 when a friend's father had the whole set and let me devour them, I've bought, given away, and repurchased all of his books many times over. If you can get a vegan to appreciate your books about hunting and fishing, you must have some flair! Unfortunately McManus' Sheriff Bo books just don't seem to have the same zest and appeal; Sheriff Bo is c...more
Philip Kuhn
Good book, kind of a guy book. It takes place in rural Idaho, next to the mountains. Has some outdoor hunting/fishing type stuff and rural setting. The author was a long time columnist for Field and Stream, so that's his strength. He gives the reader a great collection of odd ball characters and story, which I love. He's kind of a cross between Tim Dosey, Tony Hillerman and a serious crime writer, like Lee Child. The main character is a sheriff that is a good painter (watercolors and oils) yet l...more
Maria
Bo Tully, sheriff of Blight county, Idaho gives his father, the former sheriff, a perfect birthday present, a dead body and an active case. But the case soon grows as two more bodies are found.

Why I started this book: Richard recommended this series and I have loved A Fine and Pleasant Misery and his other short stories about the great outdoors.

Why I finished this book: I was expecting laugh out loud silliness but by the end of the book I enjoyed the quirkiness of the characters. I will be readi...more
I really love Mcmanus's short stories so I decided to try his first novel. It wasn't as funny as the shorts but he had the same type of humor and it was very entertaining. Here is a small exerpt. I think Jordan might get the humor:
Tully thought this was the perfect moment to try out his 'warm' look. He leaned forward and gave it his best shot.
Susan looked startled. "Are you alright, Bo? Are you sick?"
Tully instantly shut off his warm look. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Just caught something in my throat....more
Eddie Hodges
As light reading goes this was pretty entertaining. It follows Sherriff Bo Tully, a small town sheriff in Idaho, investigating the triple homicide of drug dealers from California. The mystery itself is not that engaging, but the characterization and dialogue between the various personalities in the book is very entertaining. Especially amusing is the humor between Sheriff Tully and his cantankerous, seventy plus year old father, ‘Pap’ Tully, who preceded Bo as Sheriff. While not quite as good as...more
Dan
As a kid I loved reading patrick McManus's columns and books. A few years ago I discovered them again and had a great time reading one of his books. I enjoy the strong and unique voice found in his writing. I was delighted to find that he was writing a new genre, mysteries. Although not as humorous as his columns and other books, his style is still evident. I enjoyed reading a mystery for a change. The mystery resolved itself pretty quickly in the end and I'm not sure the reader could have piece...more
judy
This author is a hoot--as readers of his previous outdoor/humor books know. For whatever reason, he has turned his hand to mysteries--and we should be glad. His Sheriff Bo Tully of Blight County, Idaho is an absolute delight. I read all three of the Tully mysteries in less than a day and a half(and did other stuff too). Tully and all the regulars in the series are truly characters--but not overdone. The mysteries are solid-- free of cliffhangers, twists and all the other devices. Need a break? E...more
Mike Karikas
Aug 09, 2007 Mike Karikas rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who know a 'crick' from a 'creek'
Small country town, manifest. Pat McManus is hilarious if you're from a small country town, and probably even if you aren't, but I wouldn't know. I also guiltily enjoy a murder mystery every now and then, so this book wraps up those two pleasures together.

One of my favorite bits is how the sheriff recalls the ease of solving a usual murder in the neighboring town. It usually happens at the tavern - both the scene of the crime and where the murderer is, as he's usually boasting about it to his fr...more
Elizabeth Owosina
Easy, quick read. Finished in a day.
Sandy Vaughan
Sheriff Bo Tully gets a call from one of his citizens who he jailed and later did the same to his sons. He wants the sheriff to come out about a dead body draped over one of his fences. Having viewed the corpse through binoculars, he gives a description of said corpse; white, pinstriped suit, one shoe on, one off but covered with a black sock...not the style of the average citizens.

Thus the story begins. It's a ton of fun with some really good lines added to a good mystery.
Janet
This is the first of the Sheriff Bo Tully books. I hoped that this would not be a "poor man's" Craig Johnson and Tully a copy-cat Sheriff Longmire. I was pleased to find the characters delightful and the humor just the right touch. Sheriff Tully is his own man (except when Pap is around) and runs his county quite ably, if somewhat unusually, and when he finds time he takes his watercolors up into the hills and paints pictures. I will be reading more McManus stories.
Lesley
The best was I can described this story is Andy of Mayberry meets Tully of Idaho. Sure, maybe in Mayberry you never heard of Andy and Barney checking into problems involving drug lords of Los Angeles but it is fifty years since that program ran on the tv. This is my first Pat McManus book, and I am glad I read it... he grew up right up the road in Sandpoint and he writes about that area of Idaho. This is the first in a series and I will read the others.
Jessica
I love this author. I've read or listened to his audio and just cracked up. I wondered...could he write a mystery? Yes

I enjoyed this and all the characters around him. I like his style of writing. I really liked Pap, the sheriff's dad. Little by little more was revealed about many characters, including the sheriff, Tully. His word choices were great. Even the names of the towns were delightful. I can't wait to read the next one.
Wendy
What I thought would be a typical cosy with a male protagonist progressed into a easy going romp. I like Sheriff Tully. The mystery was well thought out and well plotted. As with many small town mystery novels the reader gets a good sense of the small town atmosphere. As I've never been to Idaho I can only assume that there are such citizens. It also completes one of my State challenges. (Idaho) I will be reading more of the series.
BJ
This is the first book in the Bo Tully mysteries. Bo is the Sheriff of Blight County, Idaho, as were his father and grandfather. Bo is funny, astute, and gets things done "The Blight Way." McManus is the author of many humorous books (I surmise this based only on the titles), but this is his first mystery series. His humor reminds me of Mark Twain without the cynicism. This series is fun, not deep, and a fast summer read.
Chanin
Timothy and I liked this one. We have always been fans of Patrick McManus. He has an interesting way of making you laugh when you least expect it. This is not his normal book of short pieces (which I was expecting when I picked it up at the library) but rather a mystery involving the Blight County Sheriff, Bo Tully. I'll have to jump on the Tully bandwagon. We loved it. ( Or rather, I loved it, Timothy can speak for himself.)
Mascanlon
It was a day of randomly picking books off of the mystery shelf. This is a Sheriff Bo Tully mystery whose author is a veteran columnist for Outdoor Life and Field and Stream. Well drawn characters who seem to know each other very, solid plot but the setting, small mountain town interested in the great outdoors, carrying lots of guns, camping gear and fishing poles didn't appeal to me much. My husband enjoyed it though.
The last part of the book is the best (I suppose I underestimated Tully's intelligence since he's portrayed as just a few steps above a yokel) because readers get to finally see how Tully's ruminations pay out. I can't say that I get too much of the humor - it's a little too much yuk-yuk to me - but it is a light, easy read. I just wish the women were more 3-dimensional.
Kay
I admit it: this is the first time I've read Patrick McManus. It won't be the last time. I loved his when-you-least-expect-it sense of humor. And I didn't recognize who dunit in this mystery until toward the very end. Even before I finished listening to this audio, I was at the library getting his newest contribution: Avalanche (another Sheriff Bo Tully mystery).
  • Eleven Days
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)
  • Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery, #1)
  • Trace Evidence
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • The Feng Shui Detective
  • New Orleans Mourning
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • The Death Artist (Kate McKinnon, #1)
  • A Spark of Death: The First Professor Bradshaw Mystery
  • Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Gigi Chihuahua Mystery #1)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
Patrick F. McManus (born August 25, 1933) is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books, beginning with A Fine and Pleasant Misery (1978) up through The Bear in the Attic (2002).

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? A Fine and Pleasant Misery Never Sniff A Gift Fish The Grasshopper Trap The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

“What's the hurry?" he said
"This door is locked," Tully told him.
"So?"
"Can you pick a lock?"
"I'll give it a try."
"Be my guest" Tully said, stepping to one side.
Pap blew the lock away with the shotgun. He pushed the door open with the barrel.”
4 likes
“Pap said, "Lend me those bolt cutters, Bo"
"They're in the back of the Explorer."
The old man got out the bolt cutter, walked around and snipped one of the leads to the battery on each of the ATV's. The others stood in the darkness watching him, listening to the snip-snip of the bolt cutter.
"Not a bad idea," said Dave. "That way is any of them get past us, he's going to be on foot."
"There's that," Tully said. "And then there's the fact that the old man loves bolt cutters...”
2 likes