Start by marking “The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)

The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  584 ratings  ·  104 reviews

Bo Tully, sheriff of Blight county, Idaho -- and a fellow who dropped twenty pounds on Atkins -- had been thinking about asking out Jan Whittle, his grade-school sweetheart. Problem is, he's already promised to celebrate his dad's seventy-fifth birthday with him. Thwarted romance proves to be the least of Bo's problems, however, when a dead body turns up on Batim Scragg's

Published January 2nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Blight Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blight Way

Ed
I rated this book 4 stars mainly because I liked Blight County Idaho Sheriff Bo Tully, his intrepid deputies, his elderly father/sidekick Pap and Dave the cafe owner and tracker who might or might not be of Indian decent. They all contribute to a very entertaining and well written mystery that's quite fun to read because we all enjoy reading books with central characters we like for sometimes inexplicable reasons. Bo Tully and friends remind me of those unforgettably wacky characters in Carl Hia ...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Bo Tully, Sheriff
SETTING: Blight County, Idaho
SERIES: #1 of possible series
RATING: 3.5

Sheriff Bo Tully of Blight County, Idaho, doesn't ride a big horse, carry a Glock or scare criminals by the piercing look in his eyes. His secret weapon is his father, "Pap", who formerly held the office and has more common sense than a roomful of Rhodes Scholars. Add in a crack investigative unit (actually, one man by the name of Lurch), a pretty medical examiner and a part-time tracker, and it's
Carrie
Mar 09, 2010 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Patrick McManus fans, but everyone should try it
I love Patrick McManus. He has a great sense of humor and can give you a vivid picture of the scene or action in just a few words. His characters come to life, and I do mean "characters".

This book is a Sheriff Bo Tully mystery. If you like Bo Tully, you'll like this book. It's a sure thing. It's fun easy, vacation reading. These books are kind of like McManus's humor books with some fictional mystery story added.

I bet older guys who hunt and fish really like these books. Bo Tully is down to ea
Fredrick Danysh
Sheriff Bo Tulley is called upon to investigate a dead body hanging on a ranch fence. While exploring the scence, two more bodies aare found. Throw in a missing rancher, a haunted hotel, and a good looking medical examiner and you get a pretty good yarn.
Marfita
Amusing dialog, interesting mystery, but mostly what I took out of it was Tully's take on food stamps and poverty in reaction to Everett, who complained about having to support lazy people who should go out and get a job:

The first thing we need to do is to withdraw all support from poor people. If they can't earn their own way, they starve. …
Of course, we wouldn't want women and children and babies and old people staving to death out in public, all bony and their eyes bulging out and like that.
Tim Lewis
Premise: Bo Tully is the sheriff of the rural Blight County, Idaho, where nothing hardly ever happens and everyone knows each other. When Sheriff Tully is called out to a murder scene in Famine, he brings along Pap, his seventy-five year old father and previous sheriff, as a birthday present. The scene turns out to be more of a gift than he could have even dreamed.

A man from LA is found dead on Batim Scragg’s ranch and it is up to Sheriff Bo to figure out who the killer is and if they are still
Sam
Feb 19, 2012 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Patrick McManus has written a very humorous, quirky murder mystery. I found myself chuckling and smirking throughout this fun book. The Blight Way is set in Blight County, Idaho in a backwoods town with a cast of townsfolk that make the story as fun to read as the mystery itself.

Blight County Sheriff Bo Tully has a great 75th birthday present for his father, a murder in the neighboring town of Famine. When they arrive to find the well-dressed body of a stranger hanging over the fence on the Scra
Tasula
I was in the mood for a light hearted humorous read, and this mystery lived up to its billing. It was fun, in a small town, Andy Griffith way, but with more guns and violence.
LJ
THE BLIGHT WAY (Police Procedural-Idaho-Cont) – VG
McManus, Patrick F. – 1st in series
Simon & Schuster, 2006- US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780743280471
*** Bo Tully is a widower and the sheriff of Blight County, Idaho, as was his father. Bantim Scragg’s and his sons are not known as law-abiding citizens so when a call comes in that they are reporting a body on their fence, it gets Tully’s attention. When more victims are found, clearly not locals, the crime takes on a different focus.
*** Patrick F. M
Patricia
I just finished reading Blight by Patrick McManus on my Kindle. This is the book that Sandy's brother in law recommended for our community read. I laughed and laughed and truly enjoyed the book so much that I'm going to read the rest of the series on my Kindle at camp next week. I also learned a new way to cuss that I will try out at camp.

I remember reading his column in Field and Stream and Outdoor Life.

This a quote from one on his reviewers:

"This is only the second book I've read by Patrick M
Rob
I'm a longtime fan of McManus from reading his stories in Field & Stream. I didn't know what to expect from his as a mystery writer, but I was pleased with what I found. Bo Tully is a realist, and an 'everyday' man who dislikes complications, much like McManus' narrator sees himself in the stories. At the same time he's beset by outlandish characters, from the Scraggs to his own father, with whom he has to contend, again, much like the narrator in the stories. The difference is that this nov ...more
Tim Schneider
Growing up there was a mad scramble for the mailbox when the new Field and Stream was delivered. The scramble was largely to see who got to read the new story by Patrick McManus. Over the years I've read and listened to most of his short work. They're great audio for car trips. And my sons loved having them read to them for bedtime.

The Blight Way is maybe a shade closer to a 3 1/2 star than four. It's a decent mystery/police procedural. But what makes it enjoyable is the humor that McManus adds
James Saunders
The Blight Way

A good funny book with a bit of mystery. A group of characters that make it all a really good book. This is the second time I read and I enjoyed it. The combination of Pap and Bo give it its charm.
Bryn
The characters are fun and I found myself laughing aloud at times. I read the audio version and at times the volume would change drastically from sentence to sentence, shouting, then mumbling, then shouting again, so I missed a bit of the story.
Brenda
Jun 11, 2013 Brenda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Heidi Waterhouse
When my googling for a previous blog post revealed that Patrick McManus wrote some mystery novels, I had to know. Great or lousy? The answer is somewhere in between... the funny gets a little in the way of the mysteries, and the dead bodies get a little in the way of the funny. For a McManus afficionado, you find that Bo gets himself into a few situations that are awfully similar to positions Patrick found himself in.

On the positive side, it was very funny. Also, it did a good job of introducing
Lil
This was one of the rare books that I stopped reading mid-way, doubly sorry for such a beloved author. Since being introduced to McManus at the age of 10 when a friend's father had the whole set and let me devour them, I've bought, given away, and repurchased all of his books many times over. If you can get a vegan to appreciate your books about hunting and fishing, you must have some flair! Unfortunately McManus' Sheriff Bo books just don't seem to have the same zest and appeal; Sheriff Bo is c ...more
Philip Kuhn
Good book, kind of a guy book. It takes place in rural Idaho, next to the mountains. Has some outdoor hunting/fishing type stuff and rural setting. The author was a long time columnist for Field and Stream, so that's his strength. He gives the reader a great collection of odd ball characters and story, which I love. He's kind of a cross between Tim Dosey, Tony Hillerman and a serious crime writer, like Lee Child. The main character is a sheriff that is a good painter (watercolors and oils) yet l ...more
Maria
Bo Tully, sheriff of Blight county, Idaho gives his father, the former sheriff, a perfect birthday present, a dead body and an active case. But the case soon grows as two more bodies are found.

Why I started this book: Richard recommended this series and I have loved A Fine and Pleasant Misery and his other short stories about the great outdoors.

Why I finished this book: I was expecting laugh out loud silliness but by the end of the book I enjoyed the quirkiness of the characters. I will be readi
I really love Mcmanus's short stories so I decided to try his first novel. It wasn't as funny as the shorts but he had the same type of humor and it was very entertaining. Here is a small exerpt. I think Jordan might get the humor:
Tully thought this was the perfect moment to try out his 'warm' look. He leaned forward and gave it his best shot.
Susan looked startled. "Are you alright, Bo? Are you sick?"
Tully instantly shut off his warm look. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Just caught something in my throat.
Eddie Hodges
As light reading goes this was pretty entertaining. It follows Sherriff Bo Tully, a small town sheriff in Idaho, investigating the triple homicide of drug dealers from California. The mystery itself is not that engaging, but the characterization and dialogue between the various personalities in the book is very entertaining. Especially amusing is the humor between Sheriff Tully and his cantankerous, seventy plus year old father, ‘Pap’ Tully, who preceded Bo as Sheriff. While not quite as good as ...more
Dan
As a kid I loved reading patrick McManus's columns and books. A few years ago I discovered them again and had a great time reading one of his books. I enjoy the strong and unique voice found in his writing. I was delighted to find that he was writing a new genre, mysteries. Although not as humorous as his columns and other books, his style is still evident. I enjoyed reading a mystery for a change. The mystery resolved itself pretty quickly in the end and I'm not sure the reader could have piece ...more
judy
This author is a hoot--as readers of his previous outdoor/humor books know. For whatever reason, he has turned his hand to mysteries--and we should be glad. His Sheriff Bo Tully of Blight County, Idaho is an absolute delight. I read all three of the Tully mysteries in less than a day and a half(and did other stuff too). Tully and all the regulars in the series are truly characters--but not overdone. The mysteries are solid-- free of cliffhangers, twists and all the other devices. Need a break? E ...more
Christopher J.j.
Audio version. I love listening to McManus' collections of works. This book of fiction lacks the author's charm and humor. I found the story to be a bit farfetched. I'll listen to more of his collections of stories, but not his fiction.
Mike Karikas
Aug 09, 2007 Mike Karikas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who know a 'crick' from a 'creek'
Small country town, manifest. Pat McManus is hilarious if you're from a small country town, and probably even if you aren't, but I wouldn't know. I also guiltily enjoy a murder mystery every now and then, so this book wraps up those two pleasures together.

One of my favorite bits is how the sheriff recalls the ease of solving a usual murder in the neighboring town. It usually happens at the tavern - both the scene of the crime and where the murderer is, as he's usually boasting about it to his fr
Chad
This was quite entertaining and a very easy read. It is not a particularly sophisticated murder mystery, but I will definitely read more of McManus' work.
GV
Love reading Pat McManus. Humor and mystery! Great combination.
Elizabeth Owosina
Easy, quick read. Finished in a day.
Sandy Vaughan
Sheriff Bo Tully gets a call from one of his citizens who he jailed and later did the same to his sons. He wants the sheriff to come out about a dead body draped over one of his fences. Having viewed the corpse through binoculars, he gives a description of said corpse; white, pinstriped suit, one shoe on, one off but covered with a black sock...not the style of the average citizens.

Thus the story begins. It's a ton of fun with some really good lines added to a good mystery.
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • The Feng Shui Detective
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Gigi Chihuahua Mystery #1)
  • Eleven Days
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • A Spark of Death
  • Elizabeth Peters Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #1)
  • Snow, Fire, Sword (El Jisal, #1)
  • Caught Dead in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #1)
  • Prime Time
  • The Dangerous Edge of Things
  • Paradise Valley Mysteries Boxed Set (Paradise Valley Mystery, #0.5-3)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • Blowout
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...

Sheriff Bo Tully (6 books)
  • Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully, #2)
  • The Double-Jack Murders (Sheriff Bo Tully, #3)
  • The Huckleberry Murders: A Sheriff Bo Tully Mystery
  • The Tamarack Murders: A Bo Tully Mystery
  • Circles in the Snow: A Bo Tully Mystery
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? A Fine and Pleasant Misery Never Sniff A Gift Fish The Grasshopper Trap The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

“What's the hurry?" he said
"This door is locked," Tully told him.
"So?"
"Can you pick a lock?"
"I'll give it a try."
"Be my guest" Tully said, stepping to one side.
Pap blew the lock away with the shotgun. He pushed the door open with the barrel.”
6 likes
“Pap said, "Lend me those bolt cutters, Bo"
"They're in the back of the Explorer."
The old man got out the bolt cutter, walked around and snipped one of the leads to the battery on each of the ATV's. The others stood in the darkness watching him, listening to the snip-snip of the bolt cutter.
"Not a bad idea," said Dave. "That way is any of them get past us, he's going to be on foot."
"There's that," Tully said. "And then there's the fact that the old man loves bolt cutters...”
2 likes