Start by marking “The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)

The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  724 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews

Bo Tully, sheriff of Blight county, Idaho -- and a fellow who dropped twenty pounds on Atkins -- had been thinking about asking out Jan Whittle, his grade-school sweetheart. Problem is, he's already promised to celebrate his dad's seventy-fifth birthday with him. Thwarted romance proves to be the least of Bo's problems, however, when a dead body turns up on Batim Scragg's

Published January 2nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Blight Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blight Way

Ed
Aug 01, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
I rated this book 4 stars mainly because I liked Blight County Idaho Sheriff Bo Tully, his intrepid deputies, his elderly father/sidekick Pap and Dave the cafe owner and tracker who might or might not be of Indian decent. They all contribute to a very entertaining and well written mystery that's quite fun to read because we all enjoy reading books with central characters we like for sometimes inexplicable reasons. Bo Tully and friends remind me of those unforgettably wacky characters in Carl Hia ...more
Maddy
May 29, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006-reads
PROTAGONIST: Bo Tully, Sheriff
SETTING: Blight County, Idaho
SERIES: #1 of possible series
RATING: 3.5

Sheriff Bo Tully of Blight County, Idaho, doesn't ride a big horse, carry a Glock or scare criminals by the piercing look in his eyes. His secret weapon is his father, "Pap", who formerly held the office and has more common sense than a roomful of Rhodes Scholars. Add in a crack investigative unit (actually, one man by the name of Lurch), a pretty medical examiner and a part-time tracker, and it's
Carrie
Mar 09, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Patrick McManus fans, but everyone should try it
I love Patrick McManus. He has a great sense of humor and can give you a vivid picture of the scene or action in just a few words. His characters come to life, and I do mean "characters".

This book is a Sheriff Bo Tully mystery. If you like Bo Tully, you'll like this book. It's a sure thing. It's fun easy, vacation reading. These books are kind of like McManus's humor books with some fictional mystery story added.

I bet older guys who hunt and fish really like these books. Bo Tully is down to ea
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 18, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing
Sheriff Bo Tulley is called upon to investigate a dead body hanging on a ranch fence. While exploring the scence, two more bodies aare found. Throw in a missing rancher, a haunted hotel, and a good looking medical examiner and you get a pretty good yarn.
Marfita
Jul 30, 2012 Marfita rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Amusing dialog, interesting mystery, but mostly what I took out of it was Tully's take on food stamps and poverty in reaction to Everett, who complained about having to support lazy people who should go out and get a job:

The first thing we need to do is to withdraw all support from poor people. If they can't earn their own way, they starve. …
Of course, we wouldn't want women and children and babies and old people staving to death out in public, all bony and their eyes bulging out and like that.
Tim Lewis
Premise: Bo Tully is the sheriff of the rural Blight County, Idaho, where nothing hardly ever happens and everyone knows each other. When Sheriff Tully is called out to a murder scene in Famine, he brings along Pap, his seventy-five year old father and previous sheriff, as a birthday present. The scene turns out to be more of a gift than he could have even dreamed.

A man from LA is found dead on Batim Scragg’s ranch and it is up to Sheriff Bo to figure out who the killer is and if they are still
Sam
Feb 19, 2012 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Patrick McManus has written a very humorous, quirky murder mystery. I found myself chuckling and smirking throughout this fun book. The Blight Way is set in Blight County, Idaho in a backwoods town with a cast of townsfolk that make the story as fun to read as the mystery itself.

Blight County Sheriff Bo Tully has a great 75th birthday present for his father, a murder in the neighboring town of Famine. When they arrive to find the well-dressed body of a stranger hanging over the fence on the Scra
Tasula
Aug 22, 2014 Tasula rated it really liked it
I was in the mood for a light hearted humorous read, and this mystery lived up to its billing. It was fun, in a small town, Andy Griffith way, but with more guns and violence.
Dlora
May 02, 2016 Dlora rated it liked it
The Blight Way is life in rural Idaho, pretty much still stuck in the 50's, with inhabitants too poor to have drug problems or a life plan that looks much beyond day-to-day existence. Sheriff Bo Tully has learned the job from his Pap, the sheriff before him. "The old man moseyed across the highway. Tully had studied moseying from him," as well as not exactly legal investigative methods. On Pap's 75th birthday, Bo's present is a dead body puzzle to solve, which Pap hopes is a real murder and not ...more
Stephanie Marshall Ward
When Bo Tully, sheriff of Blight County, Idaho, is called to a murder scene at Batim Scragg's ranch, he takes along his father, "Pap" Tully, the former county sheriff. After all, it's Pap's 75th birthday, and he can think of no better present than a good murder.

As Pap puts it:

“I hope it’s an actual murder, not just a killing. It would be nice if there was something for me to solve. I hate it when all you got to do is go down to the nearest bar and arrest the guy that’s bragging about the killing
Maria
Feb 27, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on CD from the library because I like the columns of Patrick F. McManus. His books are usually a collection of his humorous outdoors columns in Field & Stream magazine, so that's what I expected this to be. I was wrong, and pleasantly surprised.

This is a story of the Sherrif of Bligh, a town in northern Idaho (I presume a fictional town, but I didn't look it up). It all starts out with the discovery of the body of a well-dressed stranger. Further police inviestigation t
Christine
Aug 11, 2007 LJ rated it really liked it
THE BLIGHT WAY (Police Procedural-Idaho-Cont) – VG
McManus, Patrick F. – 1st in series
Simon & Schuster, 2006- US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780743280471
*** Bo Tully is a widower and the sheriff of Blight County, Idaho, as was his father. Bantim Scragg’s and his sons are not known as law-abiding citizens so when a call comes in that they are reporting a body on their fence, it gets Tully’s attention. When more victims are found, clearly not locals, the crime takes on a different focus.
*** Patrick F. M
Patricia
Nov 01, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Blight by Patrick McManus on my Kindle. This is the book that Sandy's brother in law recommended for our community read. I laughed and laughed and truly enjoyed the book so much that I'm going to read the rest of the series on my Kindle at camp next week. I also learned a new way to cuss that I will try out at camp.

I remember reading his column in Field and Stream and Outdoor Life.

This a quote from one on his reviewers:

"This is only the second book I've read by Patrick M
Rob
Apr 18, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, western
I'm a longtime fan of McManus from reading his stories in Field & Stream. I didn't know what to expect from his as a mystery writer, but I was pleased with what I found. Bo Tully is a realist, and an 'everyday' man who dislikes complications, much like McManus' narrator sees himself in the stories. At the same time he's beset by outlandish characters, from the Scraggs to his own father, with whom he has to contend, again, much like the narrator in the stories. The difference is that this nov ...more
Tim Schneider
Feb 17, 2016 Tim Schneider rated it really liked it
Growing up there was a mad scramble for the mailbox when the new Field and Stream was delivered. The scramble was largely to see who got to read the new story by Patrick McManus. Over the years I've read and listened to most of his short work. They're great audio for car trips. And my sons loved having them read to them for bedtime.

The Blight Way is maybe a shade closer to a 3 1/2 star than four. It's a decent mystery/police procedural. But what makes it enjoyable is the humor that McManus adds
Darilyn DeMaria
Jun 02, 2016 Darilyn DeMaria rated it really liked it
Fun read, comical and reminiscent of an innocent time in hillbilly life :) Well, until the murder. REad this just after Bridget had finished Lil'Abner musical. Now I want to read the next one, AVALANCHE. I like the sheriff! and Pap!
James Saunders
Mar 06, 2015 James Saunders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Blight Way

A good funny book with a bit of mystery. A group of characters that make it all a really good book. This is the second time I read and I enjoyed it. The combination of Pap and Bo give it its charm.
Bryn
Apr 08, 2014 Bryn rated it really liked it
The characters are fun and I found myself laughing aloud at times. I read the audio version and at times the volume would change drastically from sentence to sentence, shouting, then mumbling, then shouting again, so I missed a bit of the story.
Keith
Jan 24, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it
I've longed enjoyed Patrick McManus' humor writings, and own several of his collections of essays, so I was intrigued a few years ago when I saw he'd written a mystery novel. Since then, I've read at at least three times, and have enjoyed the experience each time. While the mystery element may never rival Arthur Conan Doyle at his best, the characters sprinkled throughout the book more than make up for it. While we readers may not necessarily be completely stumped by the time the solution is rev ...more
Brenda
Jun 11, 2013 Brenda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Heidi Waterhouse
When my googling for a previous blog post revealed that Patrick McManus wrote some mystery novels, I had to know. Great or lousy? The answer is somewhere in between... the funny gets a little in the way of the mysteries, and the dead bodies get a little in the way of the funny. For a McManus afficionado, you find that Bo gets himself into a few situations that are awfully similar to positions Patrick found himself in.

On the positive side, it was very funny. Also, it did a good job of introducing
Lil
Mar 15, 2013 Lil rated it it was ok
This was one of the rare books that I stopped reading mid-way, doubly sorry for such a beloved author. Since being introduced to McManus at the age of 10 when a friend's father had the whole set and let me devour them, I've bought, given away, and repurchased all of his books many times over. If you can get a vegan to appreciate your books about hunting and fishing, you must have some flair! Unfortunately McManus' Sheriff Bo books just don't seem to have the same zest and appeal; Sheriff Bo is c ...more
Philip Kuhn
Jan 28, 2012 Philip Kuhn rated it really liked it
Good book, kind of a guy book. It takes place in rural Idaho, next to the mountains. Has some outdoor hunting/fishing type stuff and rural setting. The author was a long time columnist for Field and Stream, so that's his strength. He gives the reader a great collection of odd ball characters and story, which I love. He's kind of a cross between Tim Dosey, Tony Hillerman and a serious crime writer, like Lee Child. The main character is a sheriff that is a good painter (watercolors and oils) yet l ...more
Jill
May 11, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
This book was fun, and interesting, the best part about it was we listened to it on "CD" and everyone in the car including my husband and dad enjoyed it. Fun easy book.
Maria
Bo Tully, sheriff of Blight county, Idaho gives his father, the former sheriff, a perfect birthday present, a dead body and an active case. But the case soon grows as two more bodies are found.

Why I started this book: Richard recommended this series and I have loved A Fine and Pleasant Misery and his other short stories about the great outdoors.

Why I finished this book: I was expecting laugh out loud silliness but by the end of the book I enjoyed the quirkiness of the characters. I will be readi
Kathy Nickerson
Apr 08, 2016 Kathy Nickerson rated it liked it
Sheriff Longmire meets Andy Griffith in this McMannus take on the life of a local lawman. Being a fan of Longmire, Andy, and McMannus, I enjoyed the book.
Catherine  Matsubu
Jul 01, 2016 Catherine Matsubu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I enjoyed the story characters as well as the ending. Looking forward to the next in the series, which I'll start now
Dec 12, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I really love Mcmanus's short stories so I decided to try his first novel. It wasn't as funny as the shorts but he had the same type of humor and it was very entertaining. Here is a small exerpt. I think Jordan might get the humor:
Tully thought this was the perfect moment to try out his 'warm' look. He leaned forward and gave it his best shot.
Susan looked startled. "Are you alright, Bo? Are you sick?"
Tully instantly shut off his warm look. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Just caught something in my throat.
Eddie Hodges
Mar 30, 2010 Eddie Hodges rated it really liked it
As light reading goes this was pretty entertaining. It follows Sherriff Bo Tully, a small town sheriff in Idaho, investigating the triple homicide of drug dealers from California. The mystery itself is not that engaging, but the characterization and dialogue between the various personalities in the book is very entertaining. Especially amusing is the humor between Sheriff Tully and his cantankerous, seventy plus year old father, ‘Pap’ Tully, who preceded Bo as Sheriff. While not quite as good as ...more
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • The Feng Shui Detective
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • Murder in the Air: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #17)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Gigi Chihuahua Mystery #1)
  • Caught Dead in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #1)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation #1)
  • Murder Fantastical (Inspector Henry Tibbett Mystery, #8)
  • Elizabeth Peters Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Grave Beginnings (The Grave Report, #1)
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • All Washed Up (The Misadventures of the Laundry Hag, #3)
  • The Steam Pig
  • Hotel South Dakota (Tory Bauer Mystery #3)
  • Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery, #1)
  • Eleven Days
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...

Sheriff Bo Tully (6 books)
  • Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully, #2)
  • The Double-Jack Murders (Sheriff Bo Tully, #3)
  • The Huckleberry Murders: A Sheriff Bo Tully Mystery
  • The Tamarack Murders: A Bo Tully Mystery
  • Circles in the Snow: A Bo Tully Mystery

“What's the hurry?" he said
"This door is locked," Tully told him.
"So?"
"Can you pick a lock?"
"I'll give it a try."
"Be my guest" Tully said, stepping to one side.
Pap blew the lock away with the shotgun. He pushed the door open with the barrel.”
6 likes
“Pap said, "Lend me those bolt cutters, Bo"
"They're in the back of the Explorer."
The old man got out the bolt cutter, walked around and snipped one of the leads to the battery on each of the ATV's. The others stood in the darkness watching him, listening to the snip-snip of the bolt cutter.
"Not a bad idea," said Dave. "That way is any of them get past us, he's going to be on foot."
"There's that," Tully said. "And then there's the fact that the old man loves bolt cutters...”
2 likes