Annie Hoot and the Knitting Extravaganza

Annie Hoot and the Knitting Extravaganza

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Annie Hoot is a kind but scatty little owl. She lives in a tree house deep in the woods. She is always coming up with new ideas for things to do, and her latest craze is knitting. But unfortunately, the other owls don't appreciate her wonderful knitted clothes, so she sets off round the world to find other animals who will.
Published April 1st 2010 by Andersen

Karina
This cute story is about Annie Hoot, an owl who loves to knit and make things for others. She tries to make outfits for her friends at home, but her friends decline the clothes because they don't want to be different from one another. Annie stops insisting and goes on to help other animals around the world, like in Africa and Antarctica. The book uses lots of interesting language that focuses on specific letter sounds. For example, "Annie makes polka-dot pullovers for penguins." This book would...more
Anna
It's a super story, with lovely illustrations, and it combines two things that I love - owls AND knitting.

That being said, I have to mention that this book perpetuates the great North Pole animals myth.

PENGUINS AND POLAR BEARS DO NOT LIVE IN THE SAME HABITAT!
I realize it's a story and not a science book, but misinformation drives me batty, particularly in books for children.
Bruno
I loved the concept and wanted to love the book, but ended up liking it a lot instead. Ahem.
As an owl-loving knitter, I did want to love this unfortunately underwhelming book. Annie Hoot travels around the world, knits for different animals (some of which don't actually live anywhere close to one another, but it's a story about a knitting owl, so I guess I'll give it a pass), and then returns home to find her friends have had a change of heart about her knitting.

While the illustrations salvaged it for me, I just can't get past the the ending "'Please teach us to knit too.'" & "they...more
Amy
Natalie
An story in which an owl knits. Nothing groundbreaking, but this should have mass appeal to 30 something hipster gals with an owl + knitting fetish. I did enjoy seeing the animals dressed in their handmades.
Heather
Only complaint: penguins do not live in the Artic. That would be the Antartic.

But other than that, LOVE! KNITTING! OWLS! KNITTING OWLS! So adorable. I wish it came with the patterns.
Cat Fithian
Cute story, great knitting tie-in, colorful pictures. This had the potential to be roll-your-eyes cutesy but it isn't, which is good. I would read this aloud to kids.
Miss Melissa
So fun and wonderful, until I saw the penguins with the polar bears. Not okay! Polar Bears are at the North Pole and Penguins live at the South Pole!
Charlotte
Automatic one-star deduction for having both polar bears AND penguins at the North Pole. Charlotte doesn't care, but I do.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I mostly like this book. But I don't like how polar bears and penguins live together. That is silly.
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 16, 2014
Ybgenny
Ybgenny marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Kathryne
Kathryne marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Cynthia Fry
Cynthia Fry marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Cate
Cate added it
Aug 09, 2013
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Staci Horony
Staci Horony marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013