Start by marking “Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)

Breath and Bone (Lighthouse #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,825 ratings  ·  113 reviews
The mesmerizing conclusion to the fantasy epic

Addicted to an enchantment that turns pain into pleasure?and bound by oaths he refuses to abandon?Valen risks body and soul to rescue one child, seek justice for another, and bring the dying land of Navronne its rightful king.

Published (first published January 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Breath and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breath and Bone

Mar 31, 2013 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Janny Wurts
Aug 20, 2010 Jason rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult fantasy lovers
Shelves: e-books, read-2010
This really is more just the second half of the first novel than it is a standalone. It takes all that is built up in the first novel, and kicks it full tilt into action, twists, and turns. This novel moves the story along down a dark and slippery path at a fast pace. This really is a mature, well written, dark and dirty fantasy. The characters are all flawed and not perfect cutouts, which adds depth and realism to their persona's. I highly recommend this duology to all fantasy lovers that want ...more
Nov 07, 2009 Andreea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: 11th-grade, reviewed
As I mentioned in my review for the prequal of this book, I actually started reading this one first. I didn't expect to like it so much that I'd go back to read the first book, but I did. I so did.

Carol Berg's unique writing style continued to fascinate me all throughout the book. If she were to rewrite the phonebook in her idiosyncratic style, I would stil find it the most fascinating thing on the planet. It's like a song - the words just flow together, unhindered by the occasional period or s
this, along with flesh and spirit are really only one book--if you read only the first, where it ends will not be satisfying for very long (luckily i had the second book right there). and if you read only the second, huge chunks of it will not make any sense. so this is a review of both books.

a young man with an arrow embedded in his thigh and another wound in his back is abandoned, by his partner in thievery, in a ditch near a monastery. somehow in the cold and dark, the monks find him and take
This is the second book in the Lighthouse Duet by Carol Berg. As I mentioned in my review for the first book, Flesh and Spirit, the end of the first book left me needing to read the second book immediately. Unlike the first book I thought this was an amazing book. It continues right where the last book left off; except this time the fast pace of the end of the first book continues throughout the second book.

Valen has been contracted to serve The Bastard, Price Osriel. In service of the Bastard,
This was an excellent conclusion to Valen's story, started in Flesh and Spirit. Even though I had guessed Valen's parentage halfway through the first book, the second one, despite a few fantasy tropes, threw one surprise after another at me. Considering how much fantasy I've read, that is pretty unusual. Valen is a junkie. a thief and a liar and doesn't exactly heroically overcome those things, even if he's found a cause to fight for. Everybody is flawed to a certain degree in this book, the goo ...more
Outstanding. Great story and great storytelling. Excellent characterization, and enough plot twists--most fully appropriate to the character and times--to keep the reader turning pages. A world and a reality which keeps growing. And Carol finishes the tale!

While you're waiting to Rothfuss, Sanderman, et al. to finish what they've started, read Carol Berg's fantasy duo. (For best effect, read them as a single work--as they should have been published.)

Carol Berg has rocketed to the top of a crowde
Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
This is a great book! I love Valen. He's a great example of how to write a rouge and not make him a jerk. After all the suffering he went through, he finds out who he truly is, the truth about Osriel the Bastard and what has to be done to save his land.

Also, he spends much of the book running around naked. I will have to read this again.

This book is so good. It is the excellent conclusion to the first book in the series and this is where all the good stuff happens. Just read it. It's fan
Equally as exciting and intriguing as the first novel in this two-book sequence, Breath and Bone careens through an incredible landscape of destruction and hope and ends after satisfactorily depositing the reader in the cradle of its clever close. Not since Lois McMaster Bujold's fantasy novels have I enjoyed (and not winced at) such an irreverent and well-told tale of a place so different from our own that it occasionally seems the same.
The Lighthouse Duet by Carol Berg is simply wonderful. The duology begins with Flesh and Spirit and concludes with Breath and Bone . This intriguing and multi-layered story is extremely well crafted. It is apparent that the author really thought about her plot and characters and how they all intersected.

The story centers around Valen, a rebellious anti-hero who desperately seeks to escape his assigned place in life and simply exist on his own terms. However, it is not to be. While the set-up
Second reading; August, 2014

Awww, I forgot how great this book is. Berg lifts you to the peeks of hope, just to plunge you into the depths of despair and then all over again... Valen grows in leaps and bounds and learns not just to accept his Danae heritage, but how to become a better man. Although I have read the book before and remembered some things along the way, I was still surprised by Osriel's identity and pleased with how the author dealt with various romantic entanglements (the
Cherry Mischievous
Carol Berg is one of those talented story spinners whose author's voice is so wonderful that the story just flows. Berg makes the emotions of Valen so tangible and the tangy smell of the sea so real I could almost taste it! I really like this author's voice! The masterful author's voice was the only reason I didn't rate book 1, Flesh And Spirit, a less than 3. Which it automatically would have scored, given how I hate cliffhanger endings. However, (good for me) I borrowed both books of th
This is the second half of the story begun in "Flesh and Spirit". It is much easier to get into, as the environment has been painted in the prior book where the characters were introduced. The language (of clothes, distances etc.) is now not a barrier to understanding, but a password into the world in which we are now immersed . This book is like an ocean liner, a little slow to get started but unstoppable once it gets going! Even though it is a first person narrative, there are still many viewp ...more
This book is the second volume in the Dané series, following "Flesh and Spirit".

Renegade sorcerer and mapmaker Valen Cartamandua was recaptured and punished by his family. His ultimate punishment is his new employer, rather described as his owner since Valen is bound to his will by means of his contract.
But when Valen learns who really is the one he develops a fierce loyality that doesn't even stop where his life is in charge.

This book to me was even better than the first, maybe because all t
I was left with so many questions after the first book that I felt exhilarated by this fast-paced second part. Revelations and mysteries stumble upon each other right from the start and all the way to the end.

Valen, the main character, who seemed only to be a by-stander unwillingly caught up in a world-wide conflict, appears more and more to have a centre role to play in it. After a lifetime of avoiding responsibilities, he's getting even more than he would ever have bargained for. He's going th
More engaging than the first book; of course this one picks up right where Flesh and Spirit leaves off. I actually really liked all the characters, the magic, and world. I'm used to Berg mutilating her characters somehow... but this one was actually happy! I know I ragged on the first book being slow... but now I wish I had more.
A very satisfying conclusion. I was even more pleased with this one than the first. One thing that made me especially happy was that his love interest from book 1, if you could even call it that, didn't work out. Of course, he did end up falling for someone else, but at least Carol didn't do the obvious thing.

Breath and Bone picks up right where Flesh and Spirit left off, and the action doesn't let up a bit. Now thorughly involoved in the conspiracy, Valen finds himself contracted--permanently--
First of all, I must say that this book should not be read before the first book. They are basically the same book, and all of the mystery begins in the first book. One of the only twists that actually surprised me occurs at the end of the first book and the whole experience is spread across both novels.

I loved this book. I am a stickler for prose. Even the smallest errors bother me immensely. Carol Berg's prose is lovely and virtually flawless. The narrative is engaging and the world is well-c
Petra Eriksson
The first pages of Flesh and Spirt made me confused and felt like a drastic change from The Rai-kirah series. I thought I would end upp dissapointed and my mood was a little low. But I should not have douted! The Lighthouse series has the same insight and thoghtful writing as her Rai-Kirah series and I'm more than pleased. I can not say if I love this series more than her earlier it to hard to deside but I don't see a need to eitehr.
Carol Berg has an amasing way of writing, it gives of an illu
I got three hours of sleep last night thanks to this wonderful book. Carol Berg stays at the top of my favorite authors list with this one, because it kept me reading from 8 pm until 5 am. Yes, 5 am. Oh, there were interruptions of dinner and a chat with the roommate and Pirates 3 (it was quiet in the apartment, what can I say? I have to stare at Orlando), so I could have finished sooner, I suppose.[return:][return:]Not quite the less-than-six-hours marathon of finishing HP 7, but close. I never ...more
Despite my misgivings from the first book of this series, Flesh and Spirit, I took a chance with the second volume because I had felt that the story was getting more interesting toward the end. (Which is to say, it got out of the monestary - which in no significant way of interest differed from your typical historical monestary, neither in religious rites or behavior or dress or bearing. What the heck? She didn't try at all to make them anything but Christian monks.)

This second book had a more
This book was better than the first book, Flesh and Spirit.

We continue to learn more about the characters we originally met in Flesh and Spirit and are introduced to a few new ones. In general, they're the strongest part of this series, and most of them ended up feeling quite real by the end. My favorite overall was the prickly physician Saverian, whose unfortunate name tripped me up quite a few times as it's quite similar to a completely different character. (It was somewhat funny to picture S
I adore Carol Berg. I've read everything she's ever written and frankly, none of it is bad. Not even mildly disappointing! She's by far the most consistent and consistently GOOD fantasy authors I've ever read. This was the conclusion to a two-book duo (although I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see more from her in this universe) and while it dragged a little, I really enjoyed it. Berg has a way of writing fantastical novels that are incredibly intimate. Her characters are always well- ...more
Patrick Burgess
Better Pace, Rushed Ending, But Solid Finish

Much better pacing than the first installment, probably because there isn't as much need for exposition, AND we get to see Danae action right from the beginning. I would've liked Berg to have gone on longer, she really has something wonderfully intricate and original here. And ended things differently, the story concluded (to my thinking) with all the excitement of a deflating beach ball.

Overall, I really enjoyed my foray into Berg's world of otherworl
This book was much better than the first. However, I saw several problems with it, mostly my personal preferences against the book. I saw a lot of good things too, though. Berg is a great storyteller, though her stories are gut and heart wrenching at the same time. Nothing is ever clear cut, especially not the endings, even when the series ends. And I hate her endings. They're good, but I don't like them. Too bad this book ends the duology, because with that ending she could've gone on to write ...more
Jeffrey Grant
It's always nice when a sequel improves upon the original, particularly when the original had flaws to it.

This volume continues the story of Valen, a roguish fugitive from life in general. Now "sold" into the service of a master whose reputation paints him as a merciless villain steeped in black magic, he has to work to save the country he lives in, the climate of his world, and his remaining friends and comrades.

Reading through, it became increasingly obvious that the rather abrupt end to the
still vivid - and surprising. torture - blech! he gets himself into situations i think he can't possibly get out of and he does. he is loyal to imperfect people - which makes sense, but i'll never get the king thing. a grownup book - too much nakedness and drugs and drug induced sex (though no real details). i did actually feel a little tearful at the end. this author makes everything seem so alive and appealing. in the end - the answer seems to be love.
Kelly Flanagan
I found this to be more of a second half of the fist book rather than a second standalone in a series. In fact the two books aren't that long, they could have written them into one book and sold just as well. In fact it would have made more sense as one whole book rather than the two there are.
Anyhow, on to the review. The second book picks up far faster than the first one did. Though I find the main character seems to act opposite of what he talks. We hear all through the two books that he is
This book was superb. There were so many twists and turns that it always kept me guessing. Breath and Bone is the second book of the Lighthouse Duology (the first book is Flesh and Spirit: also excellent).

The story follows Valen as he serves his new master and takes a journey to discover who he is and why that makes a difference in his troublesome world.

Carol Berg is very quickly becoming one of my very favorite authors.
Joy H.
Jul 10, 2012 Joy H. marked it as keep-in-mind  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Added 7/10/12.
Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)

GR member, Elsiekate, wrote: "this, along with flesh and spirit are really only one book--if you read only the first, where it ends will not be satisfying for very long ... and if you read only the second, huge chunks of it will not make any sense. ..."
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Shadows Return (Nightrunner, #4)
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura #2)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • Matelots (Raised By Wolves, #2)
  • The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3)
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • The Eye of Night
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow Gate (Crossroads, #2)
  • The Destroyer Goddess (Chronicles of Sirkara, #3)
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
  • Cagebird (Warchild #3)
Carol Berg is the author of the epic fantasy
The Books of the Rai-kirah, The Bridge of D'Arnath Quartet, the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award winning Lighthouse Duet - Flesh and Spirit and Breath and Bone - the standalone novel Song of the Beast , and the three novels of the Collegia Magica.

Berg holds a degree in mathematics from Rice University, and a degree in computer science from the University of Co
More about Carol Berg...

Lighthouse (2 books)
  • Flesh and Spirit (Lighthouse, #1)
Transformation (Rai-Kirah, #1) Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3) Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2) Son of Avonar (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #1) Flesh and Spirit (Lighthouse, #1)

“Of all the things I had learned in my life, nothing was so simple as fanatics imagined.” 2 likes