Start by marking “Sarah from Alaska: The Sudden Rise and Brutal Education of a New Conservative Superstar” as Want to Read:

Sarah Palin is still the most dynamic yet polarizing Republican in America. In Sarah from Alaska Scott Conroy and Shushannah Walshe draw on their experiences as embedded reporters on Palin's campaign, exclusive on-scene coverage of Palin's post-election struggles in Alaska, and revealing interviews with former McCain/Palin staffers, top political minds, and Palin's family, ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by PublicAffairs (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah from Alaska, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah from Alaska

Mel Tungate
Feb 12, 2010 Mel Tungate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well written very readable book about the new right wing super star. It is very complimentary and positive towards her, much more than I thought it would be.

But, in the end, you cannot keep the totally narcissic, totally unprepared, totally inept, totally self absorbed Sarah out of the book. Try as they might, it is hard to disguise that this woman belongs nowhere near a leadership position. While they can paint it any color they want, it is hard to disguise she went to five colle
Maiesha
I read this book simply to learn a bit more about Sarah Palin, since I find her a fascinating character, and think that her rise and fall exemplifies myriad issues including the state of modern politics, the status of women, evangelical Christianity, etc. After watching the film Game Change and Julianne Moore's masterful portrayal (which included the pivotal role Tina Fey had in characterizing Sarah as an Evangelical, moose-hunting dolt), I was intrigued enough to find out more about a woman who ...more
Mazola1
Written by two reporters who covered the Palin vice-presidential campaign, Sarah from Alaska reads a bit like Sarah Palin 101. Which is to say it's more of a basic introduction than an in-depth examination. But maybe that's just what's needed. Given the continuing saturation coverage of all things Palin and her rock-star like celebrity, it's odd how little most people actually know about her, either as a person or as a politician. This books sketches Palin's life and political career in broad ou ...more
Cris
Jul 15, 2011 Cris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I knew was that I disliked Sarah Palin, thought she was unelectable, but I didn't know why. Now that I've read her book, I find that she's a lot smarter and likeable than I thought, but I still don't GET her. Maybe that's a good thing. I feel like a lot of what she's about is untold in this book.
Josh
Nov 06, 2009 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is by no means a Palin supporter, I thought this book was very fair and balanced, to borrow a term. The authors are just as likely to highlight a positive trait as they are to label a move a misstep. The story of her rise to power is truly impressive, but god help us if she ever becomes president.
Elyse
Jan 03, 2010 Elyse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched and documented book about Sarah Palin. The writers did an excellent job of painting a picture of both the woman Sarah Palin is and her astounding rise to fame. The authors did a great job presenting information without tipping their hand as to their personal beliefs/opinions about their topic.
Michael Taylor
Overall, a balanced look at Palin's place in the 2008 presidential campaign. The book should be read in conjunction with Palin's own book GOING ROGUE. The bulk of the sources for this book are not from her side of the story which is why it should be read before or after her book.
Dee
Feb 01, 2010 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. The campaign bosses, not John McCain, held her back, squelched her, so she couldn't campaign the way she wanted. I believe it cost John McCain the election too.
Richard
Dec 12, 2009 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some what negative.
Jodi
Nov 02, 2009 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly balanced look at Sarah Palin. Lots of interviews with people who know her in Alaska. The authors were embedded with the campaign so they have a lot of behind-the-scenes information.
Ashley Bradley
Jan 25, 2011 Ashley Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book and I can no longer say that I hate Sarah Palin. But I still hate her politics.
Paige
Dec 02, 2013 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gossipy. Mildly interesting.
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2012
Glen
Glen rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2010
Hilary Leighty
Hilary Leighty rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
JR
JR rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Heather Sowalla
Heather Sowalla rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Cathryn Shea
Cathryn Shea rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2016
Shelley M. Drake
Shelley M. Drake rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Carles Jordana
Carles Jordana rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Samantha Kupferman
Samantha Kupferman rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Claire-Lise Kempf
Claire-Lise Kempf rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2011
Nicole Drake
Nicole Drake rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Ryan Baker
Ryan Baker rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2011