Start by marking “Endless Feasts: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet” as Want to Read:
Endless Feasts: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet

Endless Feasts: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet

Reichl offers an enchanting compendium of food and travel essays from "Gourmet" magazine's extensive archives. Included are wonderful contributions by Anita Loos, James Beard, Madhur Jaffrey, Robert P. Tristam Coffin, Laurie Colwin, and many others.
Published April 2nd 2002 by Random House USA Inc

To ask other readers questions about Endless Feasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Endless Feasts

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe School of Essential Ingredients by Erica BauermeisterJulie and Julia by Julie PowellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Nouvelle Cuisine
267th out of 322 books — 215 voters
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran FoerThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserFood Rules by Michael PollanThe Food Revolution by John Robbins
Reading is So Delicious
16th out of 27 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Molly
Jun 29, 2012 Molly rated it liked it
This compilation of essays from Gourmet Magazine took me a long time to get through. Some essays were visionary expositions on food, its creation, and its impacts on people and relationships. Others were dull rehearsals of the lives of egomaniacal gourmands whose gluttinous corpulence and dandyish ways made my skin crawl. Very uneven.
Elizabeth
Sep 05, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
What a terrific collection of stories. The level of writing is superb and makes me long for the days where our writing level needn't cow-tow to the 6th grade reading level currently prescribed to. Makes me hungry the whole time I'm reading it and longing for adventures.
Novità Narrativa Biblioteca di Concesio
Ruth Reichl, autrice di romanzi di tema culinario e direttrice della rivista "Gourmet", ha raccolto in questo libro gli interventi - già pubblicati nella rivista - in cui grandi scrittori si sono cimentati nel raccontare ricordi, impressioni di viaggio, o semplicemente le loro ricette preferite. Ne esce un delizioso viaggio attorno al mondo attraverso i sapori, i colori, i piaceri della tavola. Una lettura distensiva per chi ama la buona cucina e i viaggi.
Susan
Sep 13, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
This is a mixed bag. I picked it after leaving Reichl's Tender at the Bone unfinished finding that book both pretentious and boring. After the first two essays in Endless Feast I thought -- ack! -- more of the same until I started to skip around and read the essays out of order. I was surprised to see E. Annie Proulx, Ray Bradbury, and Pat Conroy in the table of contents. All three provided excellent stories. I rather enjoyed Robert P. Coffin's Down East Breakfast, too.
Anna
May 06, 2008 Anna rated it liked it
I didn't read every selection, but here are those that I feel are worth recommending:

"Mexican Mornings" and "In a Tibetan Lamasery" by Ruth Harkness, "The Garlic War" by E. Annie Proulx, "Dining Alone" by Mary Cantwell, the profile of M.F.K Fisher (though not MFK's contribution, strangely) by Elizabeth Hawes, and "I, Bon Vivant, Who, Me?" by George Plimpton.

Most are short, just a few pages, and get you thinking about the world around you.
Kimberly Nichols
Apr 28, 2014 Kimberly Nichols rated it really liked it
Excellent and entertaining albeit older essays on food. Great pieces by and about my hero MFK Fisher. Lovely essay on lumberjack breakfasts. Great survey of Indian bread throughout the Southwest. So much diversity of the writing. And some neat biographical articles of which I learned James Beard was a singer prior to a famed foodie. Really great book for food lovers. Breadth and depth of subjects.
Kim
May 08, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-going
I love this book for it's variety of stories and mouth-watering descriptions that make food such a wonderful universal topic for connection. Still reading about the life of James Beard which is interesting but I have to say I'm more of a Julia Child fan and I'm disappointed they don't have an article on her. Now I'm interested in reading more in the Modern Library food series.
Sharon
Apr 07, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is one of those little treasures just sitting on the library shelf, waiting to be read. Wonderful articles by a variety of authors, previously printed in Gourmet Magazine.

A delicious collection. It's like a food writer's buffet; something for everyone. Take your time reading and savor the articles.

Tuck
Oct 04, 2013 Tuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wine-and-food
excerpts form gourmet magazine form lots of heavy hitters of foodie world, many of them groudbreakers and frontliners trying to change for the better foodways in usa. lots of recipes. quite a bit of hyperbole. but a good reference.
Rebecca
Feb 10, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I had to give up on this book, other than reading about James Beard, I did not really enjoy many of the other essays that I read. I read perhaps half and turned it back into the library for the Paris version of Gourmet's Sixty Years of Writing.
Anne
Jun 11, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
This was an interesting glimpse at travel, food, drink, and more food from the first sixty years of Gourmet magazine. If you're nostalgic for the days when sushi was still italicized, this is the book for you.
Susan
Feb 09, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Some essays were much better than others. I especially liked the first section that read more like a travelogue. Some of the others told me way more than I ever want to know about people like James Beard.
May-Ling
Jul 31, 2011 May-Ling rated it it was ok
Shelves: quit-reading, foodie
i had to stop this one, because it just wasn't that interesting to me after reading about 5 of the stories. maybe if i had read this one in the wintertime instead of summer with its distractions, i might have plowed through the whole thing.
Eve
Jun 17, 2015 Eve rated it did not like it
I tried to read this a couple of times and only a few of the essays engaged me. I think maybe reading them in the magazine would be different than en masse. I ended up trying a bunch, reading a few, and ultimately deciding to pass it on to someone who might enjoy it more.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection of essays on food collected over 60 years--some classic chefs, some great stories, and well worht reading.
Mckinley
Jul 09, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Good sample covering much of the 20th century. Thought I'd like it a bit more since it combines travel and food. However, many essays didn't do a 'great' job of both or either.
Mamama
Apr 05, 2011 Mamama rated it really liked it
Great to pick up and put down for a while. Read ANY selection of these great stories from Gourmet Magazine's 60 years.
BeckyTalbot
Jan 25, 2015 BeckyTalbot rated it liked it
Shelves: partial, books-2015
Best of the collection: Robert Coffin's essays about Maine and Laurie Colwin's "A Harried Cook's Guide to Some Fast Food."
Joannmullis
Sep 11, 2009 Joannmullis rated it really liked it
A few of my favorite people contributed to this book edited by Ruth Reichl. Anecdotes and recipes.
Kim
Oct 13, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
This can be taken one chapter at a time, I believe it is a collection of her columns.
Some of them I would like to read out loud matching the theme to the tastes of those gathered around.
S.
Sep 09, 2008 S. rated it it was ok
I expected to love this but I found it hard to get into. I gave up 3/4 of the way through. Maybe someday I'll pick it up again.
Alyce
Oct 08, 2010 Alyce rated it it was amazing
A really fun read- especially the pieces from MFK Fisher, James Beard, Ray Bradbury, and the truly sexist Robert Coffin. In the wake of Gourmet's demise, I relish these tidbits more than ever.
Sia
Sia rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Carla  Casazza
Carla Casazza rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2011
Tracerlee
Tracerlee rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Constantreader
Constantreader rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Moore123.wordpress.com
Moore123.wordpress.com rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2011
Maureen Burke
Maureen Burke rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2009
Adrianne
Adrianne rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
  • Clementine in the Kitchen
  • Apricots on the Nile: A Memoir with Recipes
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table: A Collection of Essays from the New York Times
  • Eating My Words: An Appetite for Life
  • The Gastronomy of Marriage: A Memoir of Food and Love
  • The Unprejudiced Palate: Classic Thoughts on Food and the Good Life
  • The Devil's Picnic
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris
  • Is There a Nutmeg in the House?: Essays on Practical Cooking with More Than 150 Recipes
  • As They Were
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • Best Food Writing 2007
  • Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century (California Studies in Food and Culture, 24)
  • The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food
  • Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking
  • Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
  • Stuffed: Adventures of a Restaurant Family
Ruth Reichl is an American food writer, the editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine and culinary editor for the Modern Library.
Born to parents Ernst and Miriam (née Brudno), she was raised in New York City and spent time at a boarding school in Montreal. She attended the University of Michigan, where she met her first husband, the artist Douglas Hollis. She graduated in 1970 with a M.A. in art history
More about Ruth Reichl...