Start by marking “Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)

Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Templar Bascot de Marins is preparing to rejoin the Holy Wars when he is called upon to investigate a gruesome murder in the Order's own chapel...

The shocking discovery of a strangled prostitute in the Templar chapel throws the Order into disarray. Alongside the corpse is a purse containing thirty pence-the same amount of silver Judas received for betraying Christ.

Is t
Published October 5th 2010 by Berkley (first published September 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shroud of Dishonour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shroud of Dishonour

Susan
This book was only ok for me; I read the first in the series ("Alehouse Murders") which I vaguely remembered as being historically accurate if rather slow-moving, but I liked the main characters and thought they had promise. Maybe I need to go back and read the series in order to appreciate it more, but in this book the slow pacing, dull dialogue and habit of every character to take a full paragraph of internal dialogue to explain their motivation (too much telling, not showing), plus an almost ...more
Eileen
Murder mystery and a Medieval setting, it doesn't get any better for me. I've read the first in this series and for some reason didn't get 2, 3, and 4 but jumped right to the 5th. I'll just have to catch up.

Bascot de Marins is a Templar Knight with the unique skills of being able to find killers. He is recently come back from 10 horrendous years as captive of the Muslims and healing from that captivity. Though he has lost an eye he is ready to rejoin the Holy Wars.

In this book someone is murder
Spuddie
#5 Bascot de Marins "Templar Knight" mystery set in 1194 Lincoln UK and surrounding area. When a local prostitute is murdered and stashed in a chest in the Templar's chapel, everyone is firstly aghast that someone could get into the enclave unobserved and commit such a heinous crime under the Templars noses, and also that anyone would want to. Bascot de Marins, set to leave Lincoln for Portugal in just a few days, is asked to undertake the investigation for the Templars, working with the Sheriff ...more
A.M.
I absolutely love this mystery series - it is so well-written. And #5 was an intriguing read! I was loath to put it down until finished -
Susan
When the strangled body of a young woman turns up in a Templar chapel in 13th-century Lincolnshire, Sir Bascot de Marins and the sheriff of Lincoln investigate. They begin to suspect that the murderer has a murderous aversion to both the Templars and to prostitutes. The investigation delays Sir Bascot from setting off on Crusade and alters the future course of his life. Interesting mainly for its medieval setting.
Becky
The only complaint I have about this series is: Why always more than one dead person? Otherwise I love it
Rita
The ending leaves you with a feeling that there will be more books about the Templar knight detective. The series depicts a somewhat realistic view of the years around 1200, when the Church was the authority everywhere and the western world was mired in an awakening Dark Ages. Read the other ones first, but probably this will stand on its own.
Jayne Leake
I started reading this series as a result of being a big fan of Michael Jecks' Templar series. Maureen Ash's time frame is earlier but the basic premise is the same. Ex-Templar knight with side kick solves mysteries. But that doesn't make these books any less enjoyable for the historical mystery buff.
Cece
#5 in the series.

The plotting of the mysteries continues to be strong. Character development slowed somewhat in this book, which may have been a function of the series re-orientation which occurs in this book or an indication of things to come. One more currently published in the series.
Kathy Moberg
This mystery was not as good as the previous books in the series. The mystery did not seem particularly good. The boy, Gianni,was not included quite enough. He's such an interesting character. Bascot wasn't quite as compelling as usual, either. Hopefully the next one will be back on track!
Mary
The greatest strength of this series is the relationship between de Marins and Gianni. I really wish they had the opportunity to work together more often. But overall, these are great fun. Still loads of juicy historical details. I hope we can look forward to lots more in the series.
Dawn
Finally, this book lives up to the promise of the first one. The characters were more appealing and compelling, the mystery good and the history including the Templar Knights interesting.
Monica Davis
Book #5 of the Templar Knight Mysteries. The author is consistent in her ability to carry through a solid bit of intrigue wrapped in descriptive storytelling. Enjoyable, quick read.
patricia
Shroud of Dishonor by Maureen Ash was a great read. I loved medieval mysteries. This one did not diappoint.
Katherine Thomas
The storyline is good and the authenticity of the period. However on the Kindle version the formatting was not so good.
Leslie
Pleasant, readable, but not particularly memorable. The characters are basically modern people in mediaeval costumes.
Charlene
A story of Templar Knights--full of history and interesting characters
Pat Stringer
Good quick read, plot moves along apace.
orannia
Four and a half stars.
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 21, 2015
Nakoma
Nakoma marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Maria Thaliath
Maria Thaliath marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3)
  • A Death in the Venetian Quarter (Fools' Guild, #3)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
820242
Maureen Ash was born in London, England, and has had a lifelong interest in British medieval history. Visits to castle ruins and old churches have provided the inspiration for her novels. She enjoys Celtic music, browsing in bookstores and Belgian chocolate. Maureen now lives on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.
More about Maureen Ash...

Templar Knight Mystery (7 books)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)
  • Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)
  • A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)
  • The Canterbury Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #7)
The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1) Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2) A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3) Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4) A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)