Start by marking “Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen, #8)” as Want to Read:
Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen, #8)

Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen #8)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,193 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Published March 29th 2011 by Pocket Star (first published March 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Highlander's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highlander's Curse

Susan
Good book. Colin is a fourteenth century Scot, caught up in the war to free Scotland from the English. When he goes to a seer for advice on how to win, he runs afoul of the Faerie Queen, who curses him with being able to hear the pain of all who have no Soulmates. Ten years later he is sucked into the future and ends up in Abby's bed. As beautiful as she is, he feels the need to get back home. He has a cousin who also lives in the future and goes to her for help. He hasn't been able to forget Ab ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
The eighth book in the Daughters of the Glen. This is what I'd call a fun, light romance. It's a paranormal/fantasy time-travel romance with a dose of humor. Nothing to take too seriously. Part of a series but I haven't read them all. I didn't lose anything in my opinion by not reading the previous books.
Sandy M
Jun 30, 2011 Sandy M rated it it was amazing
As much as I love this entire series, I really enjoy those books that include time traveling. And when there’s time traveling going both ways, I’m in heaven. Colin and Abby have a time of it when magic and evil combine to wreak havoc on them while fighting an attraction they don’t understand or necessarily want at this point in their lives. But then again, life isn’t done rotating on its axis yet.

Colin MacAlister has a deep hatred for the Fae due to the injurious damage they’ve rained on his fam
Joelle
Jan 03, 2012 Joelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen #8)
by Melissa Mayhue

ABIGAIL PORTER can’t believe he
Lover of Romance
Abigail Porter has a deep love and fascination with Archaeology and even though she hasn't married or had a family yet she feels like she has her whole life ahead of her and is about to embark on a dig in Scotland which has always been a dream of hers...until one day she makes a wish and the next morning a man ends up in her bed and they share a passionate kiss which is only the beginning for Abigail and Colin. Colin is shocked to find himself 700 in the future and knows that the Fae are to blam ...more
Tina
Solid 4 Stars!!

I really like this, but that is not a shock to me because Melissa Mayhue is a great writer. This entire series from book 1 all the way to book 8 has been very enjoyable. Some of the books have even ended up on my favorites shelf.

As I've come to expect this story was captivating, it drew me in and kept me very entertained all the while weaving through it the excitement of the magic and the Fae! The story was very well written with the perfect amount of intrigue, suspense, magic, r
Jena
I LOVE time travel, I LOVE Scots, and I LOVE a well-written story. So although I've apparently started out at book 8 in this series, I will definitely be reading them all, because this book had everything I loved.
Jenn
Aug 22, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-book

***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Colin MacAllister is a fairy descendent of the Prince Pol and cursed by the Fairy Queen to forever feel the pain of the united souls crying out for their soulmates, with the knowledge that he’ll not find his own within this lifetime even though that would be the only thing that could break the curse. When he finds himself 700 years in the future naked and in the bed of Abigail Porter he’s no idea why or how he could have been brought there.

Abby must h
Lori McD
This is Collin McAllister's story... which starts off telling us how it is that Collin was able to locate Leah in the previous book. Seems Collin demanded too much of what he thought was an old woman who turned out to be the Faerie Queen. She "cursed" him with being able to sense and see all the Souls who were splintered when the Nuadians tried to take over Faerie... until Collin found his own Soulmate. Except the Faerie Queen told him she wasn't in his time.

Collin decides to take up his soldier
Susan Ikin
Mar 05, 2017 Susan Ikin rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this one, had trouble putting it down whenever my dogs brought the ball back! I am looking around for the "missing ones" in the series - I have the first three, and this one, and the others are difficult to source in Australia. There are references in this to other events which have developed in other stories, so I really want to know what happened!
Bookaholics
Mar 20, 2011 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Highlander’s Curse by Melissa Mayhue
Paranormal Romance- March 29th, 2011
3 1/2 stars

Highlander’s Curse is the latest paranormal time travel by Melissa Mayhue. If you love time travel romances that feature a cursed and sexy hero, you will enjoy this story. While this book is part of a series, the author deftly makes it easy to understand without having read the other books in the series.

Colin MacAlister was a brash, arrogant and rude youth who saw himself as a savior and battle hardened warrior. B
Barb Lie
Mar 11, 2012 Barb Lie rated it it was amazing
“Highlander’s Curse” is the latest book of Mayhue’s Daughters of the Glen series. The 9th book is expected to be released May 1, 2012. Once again I loved this book.

Abigail Porter, is studying to become an archaeologist and is excited to have been selected to spend three months at a real dig in Scotland. Abby wishes for "The One", the one man who is perfect for her…her soul mate. Unknown to Abby, she is a descendant of the Fae, so the next morning Abby wakes up with a very strange and very naked
Jessica  (My Not So Vacant Shelf)
View more of my review and others at my blog: www.mynotsovacantshelf.blogspot.com

I loved this book! But some of it made me frustrated! I could relate to Abigail and understand most of her choices, but sometimes I wanted to slap her. I mean, when a guy like Colin literally lands in your bed you take advantage of the situation. Just sayin’. But as always Melissa Mayhue’s series doesn’t disappointed. Although its not the best of the series I still found myself falling for the characters, being enth
Angie
Synopsis: "When COLIN MACALISTER is cursed by the Faerie Queen and ends up in the bed of a twenty-first-century woman—who also happens to be the most beautiful creature he’s ever laid eyes on—he’s torn between anger and lust. Colin is determined to see Scotland free of English control and must return to the fourteenth century, yet he cannot forget the woman who haunts his dreams and stirs him with scorching desire.

ABIGAIL PORTER can’t believe her luck. After making a wish to find her soul mate,
Barbara ★
I love time travel and I love Highlanders so this series is just perfect for me though some of the books are much better than others. This was one of the winners! I absolutely loved Colin MacAlister. What a braw laddie he was. Cursed by the Fae to feel the horror and pain of all those souls who haven't found their soulmate until HE finds his though he won't find her in this lifetime. Oh no. But that was negated when SHE called him forward in time. Abigail Porter is studying to be an archaeologis ...more
jD
I was at the beach this weekend and needed a Highlander fix. I ditched the dark fantasy I was reading to hit up the library for something easy on the brain. I had only read one of the books in this series and it was not exactly a love fest. I grabbed this one because it was all the library had on the shelf, it's not the sequel to the one I read b4.

I was happy to get the brogue, kilt, and sword fix. As a plus, I actually liked this one much better than the last one. "Highlander's Curse' had the
DaisyGirl
Feb 24, 2012 DaisyGirl rated it did not like it
The Daughters of the Glen series ran hot and cold for me; I found myself either loving the books or hating them. Unfortunately, Highlander's Curse fell into the latter category. The real turn off for me? Abby. Her negativity was a total downer. "She'd labored a good hour to come up with something even vaguely approaching a positive thought" fairly sums up her attitude throughout the book. She bitched and moaned constantly, if not aloud, in her head. Either way, her negativity was oppressive and ...more
Nita
Every once in a while I crave a romance involving a hot Scottish Highlander and some time travel. This series by Melissa Mayhue usually solves that craving. Some of the books are better than others, though.

The hero and heroine were fine. Colin is from early 14th century Scotland. All of his energy is bent on seeing Scotland free from English control. Abby lives in present day Colorado and is finishing her studies to be an archaeologist. She is about to spend a couple months in Scotland at an arc
Tonya Hodgson
Mar 22, 2016 Tonya Hodgson rated it liked it
As the apparent last book of the Daughter's of the Glenn series I'll admit I was a little disappointed. I missed the epilogue which expanded on the HEA. The story is about Colin and Abby. Colin mysteriously shows up in Abby's bed after she has been out drinking with the girls. I have to say of all the books this idea held the most promise for me. It was an interesting story and realistically if you have read the other 7 you should pick up this one too.

Spoilers:

So many potential story lines were
Monica
Mar 19, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Melissa Mayhue, the Daughters of the Glen series is a wonderful escape into every womans fantasy. Whether you like paranormal romance or historical romance you will love the series. She has such a great imagination, you will find love,conflict,romance, and even side splitting humor. Oh and least I forget those Highland hunks of your dreams, men that know how to love and be true men. Many thanks to you Melissa for so many wonderful evenings with all of your fantastic characters ...more
Jilly
Dec 05, 2011 Jilly rated it liked it
Overall not a bad book though it lacked something the others (minus the first volume) had. It seemed almost rushed and the development of their love story seemed to lack a lot of spending time together and more popping in and out of each other's lives.

Abby didn't feel fleshed out and we knew next to nothing about her besides her desire to be an archeologist and that she can't live in the 12th century.

Colin was a little more developed but not enough to give you a vested interest in the love story
Amanda
Feb 26, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
I have to say that I just love this series, however this book wasn't my favorite. I enjoyed Colin's character and his journey through his infliction, however I thought that the resolution was simplified. Abby's character was good, and I enjoyed the conflict that the Nuadian brought to the story, but that storyline felt rushed and cut short.

Overall, not my favorite Daughters of the Glen book, but a good read nonetheless. I can't wait for the next one!
Michelle
May 12, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was much better than the previous book. Colin and Abby were very likable characters and I thought she reacted well (and believably) to being thrust back in time. Colin was a delicious but extremely DENSE hero. I was glad he figured out Abby was his Soulmate sooner rather than later, but it took them both almost dying for them to figure out they wanted to be with the other, regardless of which time they ended up in.
Anja Braun
May 03, 2011 Anja Braun rated it it was ok
If U want a light read then this book is for U..If U want to read something different time travel perhaps, a curse, fairies this will fit the bill..I liked the story just fine but she could have did a better job with the romance..It was humdrum..There was just no passion, no build up, pretty disappointing..
Kitty Felone
Sep 18, 2013 Kitty Felone rated it it was ok
Highlander's Curse...ehh... not so much. Something about the writing sort of made it hard for me to stay interested. The story was promising, but the writing style seemed a bit lacking. I don't know. I guess I'm just looking for something that better explains without using a lot of excess words and descriptions.
S.S.
Jun 14, 2011 S.S. rated it liked it
Nothing special. Given the subject matter (time travel, romance, magic) I was hoping for more.

As others have said, there was not much buildup, and this read like a Lifetime movie.

I realize that the Romance genre has its own particulars, but they aren't very sophisticated. This book didn't take much thought to write, and it shows.

It's light reading when you're stuck in bed on Nyquil.
Brenda
Jan 07, 2013 Brenda rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book and I have read all of the previous Daughters of the Glen books and really liked them but the girl in this book was awful. At first I thought hey I like the history of her but then her personality just didn't improve. I didn't care for the end of the book either, she is taken by the bad guy but within a page or two it's over. Total let down.
jackie frye
Jun 11, 2011 jackie frye rated it really liked it
Fairy magic, romance, and time travel three of my favorite themes combine in a fun to read book. A twenty-first century woman wishes for her soul mate and the next morning wakes to find a thirteenth century Scottish Highland hunk in her bed. Throw an evil ejected from fairy landfae, an impending Scottish/English battle and you have an enjoyable fast paced story.
Katie
Mar 30, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story. Engaged me from the first scene. Loved the characters and the emotions they showed. The premise was good. nothing unbelievable happened. The pacing was a bit hit or miss and I would have liked to see more of the Highlander's reaction to present time. But other than that I had no complaints. it was a nice solid time travel romance.
Catherine
Jul 07, 2011 Catherine rated it it was ok
This book was okay. I thought the premise of the story was interesting but it didn't really follow through and wrapped up really quickly in the end. It may have helped me to enjoy the story more if I'd read the other 7 that went before it, but because I hadn't when the characters that were obviously from previous books entered the story I thought they just distracted from this story.
  • Highlander for the Holidays (Highlander, #8)
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
  • Embrace the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #2)
  • Aching for Always
  • Wicked Highlander (Dark Sword, #3)
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • Highland Knight
  • Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #1)
Melissa Mayhue lives in Colorado, in the shadow of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, with her family, two insanely spoiled dogs, one domineering cat, a turtle with an attitude, and way too many fish in their aquarium. If any one thing is obvious about the books I like best, it's that I love my Happy Ever After endings!!
More about Melissa Mayhue...

Daughters of the Glen (8 books)
  • Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1)
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #3)
  • A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4)
  • A Highlander's Destiny (Daughters of the Glen, #5)
  • A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)
  • Healing the Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #7)

“Because I never said the words. Dinna you make my mistakes with yer own lovely wife. Dinna you wait for the perfect moment to declare yer love. Tell her often. Tell how her laughter brightens yer day or how her touch comforts when you need it most. Dinna you wait as I did. Dinna you let her slip through yer fingers never hearing from yer own lips that which your heart holds most prized. Dinna you waste one precious moment together. It’s the lost moments that will burden my heart for the rest of my days.” Meeting” 0 likes