Start by marking “Beauvallet” as Want to Read:
Beauvallet

Beauvallet

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,693 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
The most daring, dashing hero of all“Mad Nicholas” to his friends, “Scourge of Spain” to his enemies, Sir Nicholas Beauvallet is one of Queen Elizabeth’s most dashing buccaneers and has never been known to resist a challenge.

A Spanish lady all fire and heart

When Beauvallet captures the galleon carrying Doña Dominica de Rada y Sylvan and her father, he vows to return the
Published January 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Beauvallet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauvallet

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Swashbucklers
96th out of 365 books — 361 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeEmma by Jane AustenNorthanger Abbey by Jane AustenSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Comedy of Manners
59th out of 67 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Rane
Mar 01, 2010 Rane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
On the high Seas no man is more feared and loathed then the notorious Sir Nicholas Beauvallet, a Englishman with a reputation for taking over Spanish ships for queen and country, but never did Nicholas think that the next vessel he over took would hold a treasure far beyond anything he could have imagined, one that would capture his heart and him willing to risk his life for Dona Dominica de Rada y Sylva.
Dominica will be no one’s captive, and she fights El Beauvallet at every turn, but with h
Hannah
Dec 22, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite Heyer (topping Arabella by a slim margin).

Really enjoyed the old-fashioned, swashbuckling appeal of this one, which reads differently then her Regency/Georgian offerings. Many reviewers have likened this story to watching an old Errol Flynn movie, and I agree 100%. Brave deeds of derring-do, espionage and love in the Elizabethan Golden age (prior to Elizabeth's war with Spain) set our English pirate Nick Beauvallet and our Spanish heroine Dona Dominica on a wild, romantic ride. G
Allison
This is quite different from Heyer's other books that I've read. It's set in Elizabethan times rather than around the Regency or Georgian eras, and involves England's conflict with Spain. Beauvallet is an English captain feared by the Spanish as a devil-worshiping pirate, although he is of course an honorable pirate who attacks Spanish ships in the name of the Queen and relies on luck, skill, daring, and a sense of humor.

I found that it had a really slow start - about 30 percent to set up the s
Carrie
In a word, wonderful! The tale of a daring (and dashing) privateer determined to seek out his lady-love in the heart of enemy Spain is superbly written and expertly narrated. Georgette Heyer may be a master at Regency romances, but this one set in Elizabethan times may be one of my all time favorites. The book is full of wonderful characters, wry humor, witty scenes and clever dialog. While the romance is sweet, and a driving force behind the action, this book is different from many of Heyer's o ...more
Nikki
This certainly wasn't my favourite Heyer novel so far, given the hero's grabby hands and ego, but at least the heroine was a match for him in many ways, and it is a fun set up. It's not a Regency novel like most of Heyer's others, but one of the more historical ones, and honestly I could've dispensed with the romance for more of Nick swashbuckling his way around Spain as a spy. That plot, I liked: I wonder what Heyer would have done if that was her focus.

While this isn't as amusing as most of he
CLM
I have always been enthralled by Heyer's one 16th century historical romance. While Nick Beauvallet and his servant play more prominent roles than the heroine, she holds her own in terms of spirit and intelligence.

This is one I reread and enjoy often. As with some of her Regencies, the addition of "real" characters such as Philip II and Sir Francis Drake, adds another enjoyable element, as does the threat of the Spanish Inquisition should Nick be apprehended by his enemies. The concept of honor,
Haley Mathiot
Feb 12, 2010 Haley Mathiot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boys/girls ages 13-Adult to lovers of Historical fiction, romance, adventure
Recommended to Haley by: Sourcebooks
Shelves: 5-star-bookshelf
When Dona Dominica sets sail on the Santa Maria, she wonders if she will ever meet the infamous El Beauvallet, the English pirate with a reputation of being able to do anything because of witchcraft. But she does not expect her ship to be taken by him, Nor does she expect to be kidnapped by him and taken abord his ship the Venture.

Sir Nicholas Beauvallet captures Dominica and her father and proclaims that he will take them home to Spain, as Dominica has demanded. But falling head over heels in
Karen
Note to self: never take unread Georgette Heyer novels on trains.

I first read Beauvallet several years ago on a train leaving the capital for home. Unfortunately, not only was the train very over-crowded but it was stuck in Essex for approximately 3 hours if I remember correctly. I was feeling hot, tired, thirsty, claustrophobic and cranky. Poor Beauvallet was, as it were, in my hands, and ever since has been viewed with dislike by myself.

I can only conclude that I was blind as well. What Beauv
LaFleurBleue
Oct 24, 2013 LaFleurBleue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
This is a distinctive novel from Georgette Heyer, totally swashbuckling! It takes place sometime along Elizabeth I reign (1558-1603 for those, like myself, needing a quick refresher); the time of the great discovers is not that far away and that of the major English privateers preying on gold-ladden gallions of the Spanish Empire is at its peak.
The hero is one of those privateers. He reminded me in a way of Errol Flynn as Robin Hood, for the humor, laughing eyes, easygoing charm, less the tighty
In all honesty, I would rate most of Heyer's other stories above this one. The plot was flat and predictable. Still, there were good characterizations, (I will admit to laughing at the greedy, but totally honest about it, aunt), and the swashbuckling was great. What else do you want from me? I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition—

God alone knew what might be done to Beauvallet. She had heard that those who fell into the clutch of the Inquisition were sometimes never heard of again.
kris
Sep 07, 2015 kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Beauvallet is an English pirate. Dominica de Rada y Sylvan is his stubborn Spanish prisoner. He declares his love for her. She tries hard to spurn his advances but just can't seem to say no to the English Love Boat Technique. So then Beauvallet invades Spain with an army of 2 to steal away his love and thumb his nose at some arrogant Spanish papists.

1. If Heyer is channeling a slangy Austen in her Georgian/Regency romances, I would posit that she was attempting to channel the bard hims
Muriel
I'm a huge Heyer fan but this one took me a bit longer than usual to get into. It starts out a little slow (although I did really enjoy Beauvallet's visit to his family in the first part) but it picks up half-way through and becomes a fun swashbuckling adventure. I think the main problem for me were the leads... they were likable enough but I wasn't in love with them.

I seem to have problems when Heyer heads to Spain for some reason... I've been reading The Spanish Bride forever! Still, Heyer at
Carla
Apr 04, 2016 Carla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a little hard to rate, as I had fun reading it while working my way through a nasty cold... but once I was done, I couldn't escape the feeling that it was not really a very good book! Charming at times, but not very good. It was like watching an old silent film about Zorro or the Scarlet Pimpernel, which is fun. I love a good swashbuckle! I think my big issue was... it was all too easy for Nick. Everything falls into place perfectly and there is never any doubt. I love acts of derring do ...more
Regan Walker
Lively Elizabethan Swashbuckler set in England, France and Spain

Set in 1586 in England, France and (mostly) Spain and the waters off their coasts, this is an early work of the classic author, Georgette Heyer, a swashbuckler with an English aristocrat, Sir Nicholas Beauvallet. “Mad Nicholas” prefers sailing his ship and troubling the Spanish galleons to enjoying the wealth he has gained and the family estate in England.

On one of his excursions, Nick captures a Spanish galleon carrying Doña Domin
C.P. Lesley
Classic Georgette Heyer in swashbuckling mode—which I normally like. The action is good, the settings and costumes wonderfully realized, and the dialogue sparkling, as always. Very much like her eighteenth-century novels in style, but set 200 years earlier.

Even so, I find the two leads rather one-note and predictable. As often happens with early Heyer (this one was published first in 1929), there is an extreme age difference between the hero and the heroine: Nicholas “has thirty-five summers,” w
Peggy Stuart
Nov 15, 2015 Peggy Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a clean romance.
Recommended to Peggy by: Audible
I've decided that this is one of my favorite Georgette Heyer novels. I can see it as a movie with Errol Flynn as the swashbuckling Beauvallet. British aristocrat younger-son-turned-pirate captures Spanish ship carrying a dying Spanish aristocrat and his lovely, feisty daughter, Doña Dominica de Rada y Sylva, back to Spain from the new world. Sparks fly, and the attraction is undeniable. Beauvallet puts the girl and her ailing father ashore safely in Spain, vowing to return within the year to cla ...more
Ellie
Sep 26, 2015 Ellie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What absolute trash!

If you liked the book, you might not want to read on...

The plot is ridiculous - not as in satirical and funny, but as in cringingly awkward. In fact, it would be more apt to say there is no plot - the whole book is a trope.

In order to insert the chosen clichés, various emotions and actions are forced upon cardboard characters. They have no real personalities - they aren't anything like real people.

Beauvallet is (supposedly) reckless, clever, infuriating, charming, and just g
Jane Stewart
3 stars. Not much romance or relationship development, but good as an entertaining swashbuckling adventure.

STORY BRIEF:
Sir Nicholas Beauvallet (Nick) practices piracy upon the Spanish as a form of unofficial warfare – at the behest of Queen Elizabeth I. He is captain of the Venture. The Spanish believe he achieves the impossible through witchcraft. When he captures a Spanish ship, he takes Dominica and her father aboard his own ship as guests. He promises to deliver them safely to the Spanish c
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I've been a fan of Heyer's historical romances since I first read my mum's old copy of Beauvallet when I was a teenager. If you've never read one you don't know what you're missing! My edition is very old, actually it's the First Australian Edition from 1948, it has no dust jacket, and the pages are brown and brittle. I have 39 of her romances (she also wrote about eight detective books with the help of her detective husband, but I've not read any of them); there are about three or four I don't ...more
Andi
May 28, 2016 Andi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever seen the movie The Sea Hawk? Did Georgette Heyer ever see that movie? I feel she must have because the book reminds me of this. But seeing that the film was based heavily on Sir Francis Drake, and the main character (of Beauvallet) is friends with Sir Francis, I think that I found where the similarities come together.

Both feature a captain who works for the Queen capturing ships; both capture a ship with a Don and Dona ; both feature the main character falling in love with the Don
Robin
Feb 17, 2015 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language is a treat - sort of fun, entertaining, mildly-Shakespearean reading. The story is a bit predictable, "boy gets girl after swashbuckling his way through Spain."
Jen
Dec 11, 2007 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For a book by Georgette Heyer, this was quite a disappointment. Cliches, cliches everywhere. Now, I'm all for cliches in their own place, but not so many forced down my throat at once. I didn't find myself impressed by either Beauvallet or Dominica. I might have found Joshua amusing, but even he was just too much of a caricature.

It didn't help that this edition was positively riddled with typos.

Ah well, I suppose I should have been warned when I saw that it was a reprint by Harlequin. Blech.
Mary Strand
First, I have to say I generally ADORE Georgette Heyer and her books. They're comfort reads and keepers for me. I've read at least 15 or 20 of hers. Until now, it made her an automatic buy. But ... no one is perfect. Beauvallet was published in 1929, making it one of her earlier works. It's not just that it's not Regency. She simply didn't yet write like "Georgette Heyer" at this point. I liked the swashbuckling hero and the strong heroine, but the entire book is Very Very Slow. Great action, bu ...more
I have become a huge Georgette Heyer fan. My favorite Heyer books, Frederica, Friday's Child and The Foundling, draw you in by charming you with their simple story, simpler plot and understated characters. There are no bells and whistles, no forced cliff-hangers, no suspense, just skilled story telling that captivates you without you realizing it.

I think Heyer wrote this book after watching a Tyrone Power swashbuckler movie. Or "The Pirate" with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. It is the least orig
Debbie
Beauvallet is a historical romance set in 1586 on the sea, in England, and in Spain. Actually, it's more of an action/adventure novel. It's serious rather than funny, and I missed the humor that I so enjoy in Heyer's Regency novels.

Nicholas is extremely reckless (even he knows it) and enjoys a challenge. I have no idea why he decided to marry Dominica except that it'd be a grand challenge--both to get her out of Spain and to stay happily married to someone as opinionated as he is. Dominica like
Phil Syphe
I found “Beauvallet” to be good in parts rather than as a whole. The opening chapters set upon the title character’s ship were mostly entertaining, as were the majority of scenes towards the end of the book. Everything in between was hit or miss.

I felt that after Beauvallet weighed anchor and returned to his brother and sister-in-law’s home there was too much repetition regarding what the hero had done and intended to do. As a reader I knew all this, so these scenes served little purpose, other
Heather A.
Sep 14, 2012 Heather A. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tried-and-failed
This is the 2nd time I tried to read this book....I think I made it to chapter 5 which is 2 more chapters than the 1st time. Someone recommended it to me because they knew I love Jane Austen and said that I would love this book. Wrong! I can't even tell you how hard it was for me to force myself to read it. I am sure others would love it, I am just not one of those people.
Sherwood Smith
This is not a silver fork novel, more of an adventure in the Geoffrey Farnol tradition, based on real events. I don't think Heyer had the skills to pull it off: her research of facts is impeccable, but she doesn't understand the paradigm, so her characters read as cardboard cutouts.
Kilian Metcalf
I bought this by accident thinking it was one of Heyer's Regency Romances. Instead it is a pirate romance, but still it's Georgette Heyer, so it's readable, just not as enjoyable as the regencies. I only paid $1.99, so I don't mind the mistake so much.
Michelle
Apr 24, 2012 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the characters were awful, and the dialogue was stilted and unnatural. I've always heard that Heyer's the master of Regency romance, but I must have picked up the worst of the bunch. I'll have to give it a while before I try another of her books.
Best Book Club: New Book Suggestion...? 1 3 Jun 04, 2015 01:12AM
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • Elyza
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • The Black Swan
  • The Mandarin of Mayfair (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #6)
  • The Silverton Scandal
  • The Last Waltz
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • Swept Away
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...