Start by marking “La llamada del Kill Club” as Want to Read:
La llamada del Kill Club

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

La llamada del Kill Club

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  320,418 Ratings  ·  26,306 Reviews
Libby Day tenía siete años cuando su madre y sus dos hermanas fueron asesinadas en el “Sacrificio Satánico de Kinnakee, Kansas.” Mientras su familia agonizaba, la pequeña Libby escapó de la granja a través de la helada nieve de enero. Sobrevivió, y presionada por los medios, declaró que su hermano Ben, de quince años, había cometido el crimen. Veinticinco años más tarde Li ...more
Published March 29th 2010 by Viceversa (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about La llamada del Kill Club, please sign up.

Judy Desetti As a middle school librarian my vote is NOT appropriate for a 14 yr old. Give yourself about 2 or 3 more years and come back to it. Books don't go…moreAs a middle school librarian my vote is NOT appropriate for a 14 yr old. Give yourself about 2 or 3 more years and come back to it. Books don't go away, they will still be available in a few years when you have more life experiences and can understand the depth of emotions for the characters and events. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Judy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Apr 22, 2016 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

I highly recommend reading this whilst sitting in the sun with plenty of happy people around you (as I did) - that way you can avoid contracting something evil and nasty from its pages, and also avoid losing any hope you had for humanity.

Okay, sorry, I make it sound so negative when actually this book is pretty fantastic if you can stomach the
Kat O'Keeffe
Aug 10, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the writing style and the characterization so much--Gillian Flynn is a fantastic author! And I was so hooked by the mystery right away, I just flew through this book. Toward the end I did feel like we lost a little steam, but all the twists and revelations still kept things interesting, and overall I thoroughly enjoyed this! Definitely looking forward to seeing the movie, and probably picking up Gone Girl very soon here!
karen
Sep 21, 2014 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

i was not a lovable child, and i'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.

gillian flynn sure does love writing about horrible people doing horrible things.and i sure do love reading about them. especially because she isn't one of those writers coasting on shock value and "can you belieeeeeve a delicate flower of a woman is writing this??" but she can really tell a story and i, for one, was completely surprised and pleased by the ending o
Tatiana
Oct 02, 2010 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who can stomach filth
As seen on The Readventurer

Seriously, what goes on in Gillian Flynn's head? She writes the freakiest stuff. Sharp Objects was nasty enough, and Dark Places is just as vile. Luckily for her, I (along with millions of people) like vile now and then.

Libby Day is a sole survivor of a horrendous massacre. Her mother and two sisters were brutally killed one winter night and, mostly thanks to Libby's testimony, the murders were attributed to Libby's older brother Ben, an alleged active Satan worshiper.
Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
{BR with Scarlet}

"The truly frightening flaw in humanity is our capacity for cruelty - we all have it."

photo monsters-are-real_zpsgobyq5yz.jpg

I have no emotions left.

photo giphy_zpsw0cpzh18.gif

This is a book that will stay with me forever. It left me speechless in different ways, with pretty intense emotions from anger and sadness coupled with hopelessness.

photo vodka-gif_zpsc3beoi7y.gif

This is not just a thriller/mystery/suspense novel but an absolute psychological roller coaster. I found myself almost too scared to keep reading, but so riveted I just HAD to find out what would happen
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
Jan 14, 2014 Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller lovers, true crime fans, women
Recommended to Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym) by: Entertainment Weekly
Normally I wouldn't give a genre book like this a 5-star review, because I'm picky and controlling about handing out major praise. How could a crime/mystery be as good as, say, Thomas Hardy or Alice Munro? Apples and oranges.

But I just finished this about five minutes ago, and it made me gasp. It's so good -- a well-paced page-turner, beautifully wrought. I literally couldn't put it down for longer than a couple hours at a time once I picked it up (with the exception of sleep).

According to her A
Raeleen Lemay
May 03, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now officially read all of Gillian Flynn's books, and I really enjoyed this one!

The story and the characters were so twisted, and the last hour or so of the audiobook was insaaaane.
Terry
Dec 03, 2013 Terry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Gillian Flynn's first novel, Sharp Objects, was interestingly disturbing; in fact, it walked a razor-thin line between "Huh, you certainly don't read that every day" and "Gillian Flynn has some serrrriiiious issues and I'm a little bit afraid of her". I wasn't sure whether I respected her extremely dark side or her dark side is so dark it makes her books kind of uncomfortable to read.

Strangely enough (once you know the story outline) Dark Places actually has a more conventional plot than Sharp
Alejandro
Jun 26, 2015 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, detective, novel
Gripping and entertained!

DAYS GO BY

You gotta believe in something, right? Everyone has their thing.

This is my second novel by Gillian Flynn, and now I am realizing that I have been reading them backwards, I mean in the opposite publishing order, but this has been due mainly the order of film adaptations. However, I won’t wait until having any film adaptation of Sharp Objects, to read that one. I do hope to read it in the following months.

My reading experience with Gone Girl wasn’t any good
Kemper
As someone who grew up in rural Kansas and has lived in the suburbs of Kansas City for the last fourteen years, I made my peace long ago with the fact that I don’t reside in one of the hip places on the map. The only Kansas based things that have worked their way into popular culture are In Cold Blood and that goddamn Wizard of Oz. (As a Kansan, I listen to everyone I’ve met from somewhere else do the “I guess you’re not in Kansas anymore! Ha ha!” thing and can barely resist the urge to punch th ...more
Dan Schwent
When person or persons unknown murdered her entire family, seven year old Libby Day managed to escape and fingered her brother Ben as the killer. Now, decades later, she's dysfunctional and nearly penniless, and after meeting some true crime enthusiasts, isn't so sure her brother was the murderer after all. Can Libby discover the truth?

After dodging Gillian Flynn for years in the wake of Gone Girl, I finally caved it when this showed up in one of my daily cheap ebook emails. Gillian Flynn, where
Kristin (KC)
*4.5 Stars*

Gillian Flynn scares me…

But it’s a good scare! A keep-you-up-all-night-anxiously-reading-because-closing-the-book-is-not-an-option kinda scare.

If you thought Gone Girl was twisted, make room for Dark Places because this suspenseful thriller takes “freaky” to whole new level.

I went in thinking I was fully prepared…

I wasn’t.

This book is so astoundingly demented, it truly makes me wonder exactly how Miss Flynn thinks up such uniquely bold scenarios. The plot is so “out-there”, yet
Nataliya
Dec 07, 2014 Nataliya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Lesson learned # 1: Gillian Flynn is excellent at creating unpleasant characters and disturbing situations.
Lesson learned # 2: Reading her books in a dark apartment at 3 am is a big making-skin-crawl mistake.

Dark Places is a book capable of leaving a nasty aftertaste and vague uncomfortable feeling for days after finishing it. I strongly suspect it is its inte
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Feb 12, 2016 Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) by: Noémy

4.5 stars . *breathes deeply* What a ride! Finally a mystery that keeps its appeal intact after the first 50% and does not make me roll my eyes all duh! like in the end. Let's see why, shall we?

Highly recommended if you can stomach the depression. *whispers* In the end, I even rooted for Libby. Don't ask me why. I just did. Nobody's perfect, okay? I said that the characters made me sick, but oh, the sadness. The despair. The misunderstandings. The loneliness. My heart aches from lack of hope.

F
Mandy Blair Crider
This is by far my favorite book ever! I started this knowing how much I enjoyed Gone Girl and when I got started with this I couldn't put it down. My soul bonded to this book from the first word. Page turner and an unforgettable ride. A hell of a ride. The movie is just as good and I can rarely say that about books and movies. Ugh, great, spectacular, amazing, eventful, mind-blowing, utterly fantastic. Read this book!!!!!! After reading Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl I knew I had to read her other no ...more
Brooke
May 30, 2009 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2009
Well. I can't really say that I liked this book. None of the characters are likable, including the main character. Libby Day's family was killed by her brother when she was 7. By the time she hits 30, she's still 7 inside, her inner growth stunted by the tragedy. She can barely take care of herself, has never had a job, and suddenly the money that strangers donated out of charity over the years is down to about $900. To replenish her bank account, Libby grudgingly agrees to pimp herself out to a ...more
Chantal
This book was insaaaaane. But so so good. Dark Places was my first Gillian Flynn book (though I have seen the Gone Girl movie) but I fully plan on picking up her other books now.

It’s the kind of novel that makes you question what on earth we humans can come up with. I kept wondering what was going on in Gyllian Flynn’s head. How does she think of these things?

Dark Places is vile, macabre and gruesome. The author doesn’t hold back, instead she seemingly bombards you with everything ugly that is o
Reading Corner
Mar 05, 2016 Reading Corner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Places is a masterpiece, composed of troubled characters,disturbing deeds and buried secrets.For me, it wasn't as good as Gone Girl or Sharp Objects but it still managed to be a fantastic mystery, full of suspense and tragedy.Gillian Flynn takes a similar route with her characters as Libby Day is a deeply troubled individual, seeking the truth behind her family's murder.She uncovers numerous shocking truths which shape this novel into a true page-turner.

Libby Day is an incredibly complex ch
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
I read Dark Places waaaaaaaay before I ever thought about writing giffy reviews for a hobby. That ‘splains why there’s always just been my 4 Star rating sitting here with no picture book accompaniment. But I live where this book takes place and I’m familiar with the landmarks and the vibe of certain locales that made the action so tangible to me and soon it will hit the big screen filled with A-list actors in the starring roles causing people to poke around and find my ugly blank review space.

I
Natalie Monroe
"I was not a lovable child, and I'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul and it'd be a scribble with fangs."

Flynn has a gift for creating absolutely despicable characters that you can't help but sympathize with.

Everyone in this book is horrible, from the narrator's ten-year-old sister, who is a gossip-monger and blackmails people for their silence, to the deadbeat dad who physically threatens his wife for money.

Even the main character, Libby, isn't spared. She's the
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Other Reviewers mentioned they didn't like Libby! How can you NOT love Libby. She's emotionally troubled, selfish, lazy, angry and does not want to love anyone including herself. She is exactly how you would expect someone to be when your entire family is butchered while you are hiding and eventually running for your life.

Flynn, I bow down to you for not making this character "rise above" her past and for writing a character so perfectly, that my heart literally felt like it was broken while I
Jonathan Janz
Apr 20, 2015 Jonathan Janz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back in 2012 and early 2013, I remember hearing a lot about a baseball player named Mike Trout. Being a Cubs fan (see: suffering), I didn't get many chances to watch the Angels since they play late at night, and for me that's prime writing time.

But my son and I got the opportunity to catch an Angels-Cubs game on July 10th, 2013, and I finally got the opportunity to watch Mike Trout play in person at Wrigley Field.

His stat line? Three hits, two of them doubles. A walk. A stolen base. Some spark
Kassidy
May 02, 2016 Kassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I randomly decided to listen to this because I wanted to watch the movie. It turned out to be a fascinating, yet disturbing mystery read. I couldn't stop listening, and came to care for these messed up characters. If you enjoy mysteries and thrillers, this is a must read. However, be warned, the content is pretty graphic.
Jeanne

Meh.

Well, unfortunately this wasn't the page turner Gone Girl was for me. The most interesting thing about this book in my opinion was Libby's character. Where Gone Girl started out slow and then got really good, this one started out amazing and then went flat. I do like that Gillian Flynn creates these screwed up characters and I found Libby to be somewhat entertaining. Ms. Flynn isn't known for writing likable characters to be inspired by, but Libby was interesting. Her emotional growth was k
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
I am a liar and a thief. Don't let me into your house, and if you do, don't leave me alone. I take things. You can catch me with your string of fine pearls clickering in my greedy little paws, and I'll tell you they reminded me of my mother's and I just had to touch them, just for a second, and I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me.

Libby Day's entire family was slaughtered, and she fingered her brother as the murderer. Locked up and far out of sight, Libby is 'living' her life... as muc
Robert
Gillian Flynn scares the shit out of me. Whilst this is nothing more than pure conjecture, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn she was a serial killer in a former life, or that she stabs bunnies and kittens and hamsters and toy poodles during her spare time (for research purposes). Sure, she has her shit together, but she has an interesting way of sprinkling her love for Kansas across 368 ink-splattered pages. It begs the question: What would she do with a state like California and in a city like L ...more
Anne
Feb 23, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Vane. To read her review, please click here
4.5/5 Stars

Welcome to Dark Places. We the characters invite you(with devious smiles and menacing thoughts) to explore our frightfully twisted and exceptionally perverted world, come as you are, dear. No need to worry.

And if not all of us then

This is my second book by Gillian Flynn. I just want to say: THAT WAS BLOODY BRILLIANT. SCARY BRILLIANT. And I absolutely loved and adored it. I feel like Flynn's stories are all about a search f
SK *The Cupcake Queen*
5 Stars!!!!!

Despite being thrillers not my preferred genre, this is the second book that features murder and mayhem and a killer that I have read in past couple of days. An surprisingly, I am not at all missing the 'love' and obviously the 'sex' between the fictional characters.

This could be mostly due to the fact that GF has an amazing, AMAZING talent for writing stories. It is extremely rare to find a book where you have great writing, fantastic characters and incredible story line. This boo
Giselle
Nov 18, 2014 Giselle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I have learned one thing from this author, it's that she can write some psychotic characters. And that's what I love the most about her books. You never know who you should trust, every person you meet feels like a bomb that's about to explode in your face. Bring it ON!!

While Flynn is best known for her more recent release, Gone Girl, and while that book is a serious messed up ride that I won't soon forget, I have to say that I think I enjoyed Dark Places just as much, if not a bit more than
Vane J.
Buddy read with Anne! (Click on her name for her review)

I was right when I said I was gonna need an acid bath after finishing this book, because this was so damn sick. I need something happy or at least funny to recover from this, I'm serious.

Have you ever read a book in which you hated everything and yet didn't hate the book? Dark Places is one of those books. I loathed every damn word of it, but it was so damn clever and I just can't hate it.

Let's start with the characters. You know my enjoyme
Play Book Tag: Dark Places/Flynn - 4 stars 6 16 Aug 23, 2016 02:09AM
Play Book Tag: Dark Places - Gillian Flynn - 4 Stars 4 13 Aug 10, 2016 08:33PM
Bookworm Bitches : August 2014: Dark Places 66 295 Jul 22, 2016 10:34PM
Around the Year i...: Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn 13 90 Jun 07, 2016 07:43AM
  • Fludd
  • Queenpin
  • Boom!
  • Kill You Twice (Gretchen Lowell, #5)
  • The One I Left Behind
  • Human Remains
  • A Tap on the Window
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
  • A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4)
  • Kind of Cruel (Spilling CID, #7)
  • Mother, Mother
  • Reconstructing Amelia
  • The Ridge
  • These Things Hidden
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Darling Jim
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi
More about Gillian Flynn...

“I was not a lovable child, and I'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.” 522 likes
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it.” 334 likes