Start by marking “Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)

Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,675 ratings  ·  139 reviews
Read Tessa Adams's posts on the Penguin Blog.

A new erotic paranormal series, starring dragon shapeshifters, kicks off with a very sexy debut...

Published July 6th 2010 by NAL (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Embers

Mouse
Rating: 2.5

I bought this book because I thought the cover was hot. Then I went to Goodreads to check out the reviews. One person said she disliked it because there was an overabundance of sex. Well, that was pretty much an endorsement for me! I ponied up the $9.99 (way to much for a romance ebook!) and bought it.

Dark Embers had a lot of structural problems. The most annoying was that there were a lot of inconsistencies when people stood, sat, were dressed, etc. Someone would be standing, then th
Samantha
Dylan MacLeod is the leader of a clan of dragon shifters. Due to a mysterious disease, members of his clan have been dropping like flies. Desperate to save his people, Dylan decides to seek out human aid. His quest leads him to Dr. Phoebe Quillum, who is a researcher looking for a cure to Lupus.

After receiving news that her grant money has been pulled, Phoebe is on a tight time constraint to finish up her research. While in the middle of searching for funding, Phoebe is approached by Dylan. He'
Mel
It's not often that I start a book with little to no expectations and end up so engrossed in it that I'm up until 1:30 AM just because I wanna finish it. Once I started Dark Embers, I did not want to put it down. My brain is half fried and I'm sure I'm gonna be pretty useless at work today but oh well. I finished the book and I'm glad I stayed up.

Dark Embers is the first book in Tessa Adams' Dragon's Heat series. Dylan MacLeod, a shape-shifting dragon and King to his clan is worried and scared b
Nikki
Um wow. I feel like I hit the jackpot with Dark Embers. This is the third book I've read this month, sad right?! I was in a horrible book funk and finally found one to snap me out. Then another. And now This one. While the first two were really good, I think this one has me feeling like:

So here I am reading about a crazy cool dragon shifter on a mission to find the cure to a disease that is killing members of his clan. This guy is one of the most smooth talking, hard ass bodied, dangerous piece
Hbeebti
Loved this book. Dylan was a total alpha male. Only thing missing was thumping his chest! The world of the shifting dragons was really great. I mean yeah we kinda at this point have heard and read it all but still I loved it. Some sad moments of loss and some serious sex all over the place with these two characters. Plenty of action as well. I liked that it wasn't love at first sight. Yeah Dylan felt a weird pull but didn't think anything of of through most of the book. I cant wait to get to the ...more
Vashti
Aug 11, 2011 Vashti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: erotic romance paranormal fans
When I found out that this is the pen name of Tracey Wolf,was so excited to read this book.Well I was not disappointed.The book moves at a fast and sexy pace which I happen to enjoy.Dylan is a Dragon who is king of his clan.Members of his clan are dying of an automuine diseae of unknown origins,inc his sister and niece are affected.There seems to be no cure or cause in site.Enter the h,Phoebe,who is a biochemist and doing research into autoimmune diseases ,in particular Lupus which took the live ...more
Kaleigha
I wavered on how many stars to give this one...I liked the story, enjoyed the characters, and really enjoyed the world that Tessa Adams has created...but...

Well, first a bit of an explanation. Dylan is the King of his clan of Dragon shifters. For centuries, he has guarded and guided his people, putting their needs before his own. And for just as long he has been searching for his destined mate. Time is taking it's toll on Dylan, and each encounter with a random stranger makes him believe that ma
Rebecca
Occasionally i use this phrase 'perfect book' when I'm reviewing something I've read. This book gets that qualification. It has everything. A hot hero, a spunky, supersmart heroine, dragons, blood feuds, biological warfare...wait, did I just say biological warfare? Yes, I did. Trust me, you won't be sorry to have read this. I love the world Tessa Adams created. Read this.
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
There was so much sex in this book it was actually off-putting and pretty much destroyed the story line for me. Some of the sex scenes kinda creeped me out as well, specially the whole mist thing. I didn't like being at like 80% in the book and not have a solid grip on what's causing this illness the dragons are suffering from. That was really bugging me, it seemed like once I started reading that was the main plot point- finding the cure for what was causing dragons to die, but it took a backse ...more
Alexis
I read some of the reviews and I agree with some of them and others make me wonder if the reviewer skim-read the book. One reviewer says that it's never explained why Dylan is so reluctant at wanting to make Phoebe his mate, if you read the whole book it is explained several times.
Another reviewer says that the back story for Phoebe is never fleshed out, again I'm puzzled because we find out several things: why she became the scientist, why she doesn't trust men, and what was done to her by pers
VampFanGirl
My Review:

Dylan MacLeod, dragon and King of the Dragonstar Clan, is unwillingly leading his people straight towards Death's door. During his four and a half century existence, Dylan's fought and won many a blood-soaked battle but the microscopic entity that's currently destroying his dragons is one battle he can't conquer. As if he wasn't under enough pressure, Dylan still has yet to find his mate and provide the clan a much needed heir. As the last pure-blood dragon, it's his duty to continue t
Sandy M
Well, I’ll get it out in the open first thing. I’ve wanted to read this book because the cover caught my eye. I mean, come on. What healthy female wouldn’t like this cover, for heaven’s sake? I didn’t even bother checking to see what the book was about beforehand. I had the chance to pick it up, so I did, no questions asked. Then I found out it’s dragons.

And then as I got into the story, no doubt about it, this is my kind of book. Total alpha hero, intelligent (throughout the story too!) heroine
Mspink
Steph
Dark Embers was a great intro into a hot, new dragon-shifter series. I loved it! Part of it was a bit predictable, so that kept it from being a full 5★s for me, but otherwise it was a deliciously sexy read.

We are introduced to bio-chemist Phoebe Quillum who is working hard to find a cure for lupus, the disease that took her mother and sister. But, Harvard has just notified her that they are having to cut back, her grant is ending. In New Mexico, Prince Dylan MacLeod, the last pure-blood dragon-
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick

Favorite Quote: "He wanted to dominate her, hadn't been able to stand the thought of her saying no."

Had Prince Dylan MacLeod listened to his father he would have his mate and locked into his powers. But he didn't. So now he uses his time and dark sexual appetites to search for his destined mate. His search is put on hold as a deadly disease sweeps through his people killing them off. He finds he has to venture into the human realm to find a cure. There he meets Phoebe Quillum-a biochemi
Timmysparks
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the concept of dragon shifters. It was interesting to read about a species of shifters that was wolf or cat.

I enjoyed the heat and passion between Dylan and Phoebe. Their romance was very steamy and smoking hot! Phoebe was very smart and I love that she wasn't a pushover. Even though Dylan was king, he was imposing. He was very relatable.

I also like Quinn and Logan. I'm anxious to read about them in the next two books. I felt really sad for Gabe. It was real
Shen
I read a fellow Goodreads member's review of this book that used the phrase "perfect book" to describe Dark Embers, and I have to agree.
The hero Dylan is a hot dragon shifter and king of his clan. The heroine Phoebe is a brilliant biochemist/professor working at Harvard. She specializes in autoimmune diseases and trying to find a cure for Lupus.

Dylan's clan has a disease that is killing it's members. The deaths are horrific and no one knows the reason that only some are being stricken and no on
Valentin Mihov
Jan 24, 2015 Valentin Mihov marked it as just-have-it  ·  review of another edition
Product Description

Prince Dylan MacLeod is one of the last pure-blood dragon shape- shifters-and ruler of a dying race, the Dragonstar clan. It falls to him to protect his people and their ancient magic. But he has one important duty: to provide an heir...

Like all dragons, Dylan, who has a dark, rampant sexual appetite, can only procreate with his destined mate-for whom he's searched for the la

Tammy
Josephine McNabb
This was a good book. The passion between Phoebe and Dylan can't be denied. It jumps off the page at you. There are A LOT of sex scenes but the story behind it was a good one. This is the first book I've read containing dragons.

There were only a few things that I didn't like about this book, when Dylan got possessive, he was very physical, he bruised Phoebe with the intensity of his passion and need for her. He also didn't accept that she was his mate as he thought she was human. She turned out
Paraphrodite
3.5 stars + .5 for the hot cover.

A promising start to a paranormal series. Hot scenes and with enough action to satisfy. Although there is probably a bit more tragedy than I like since practically everyone's relatives seem to get killed in this first book!! I know that's part of the whole story and background building but still....

Looking forward to seeing how the world evolves in the coming books.
Monica Pulliam
Well, I really liked the story line, but there was just way to many sex scenes for me. I like sex in my romance books, but every other chapter is way too much. I did enjoy the story line, and will read more of these, but I really have to skip alot of the sex.
Cindyg
Okay, so I didn't know what I was going to get with dragon shapeshifters but let me tell you, Tessa did a great job. I fell for Dylan, king of Dragonstar and Phoebe our human was just as awesome. This was a quick moving, sexy and hot read. Recommend this read and look forward to the next book in the series.
AWFUL

If you want a good story, with kick ass characters, then read Blood Bonds by Adreinne Wilder or Stormwalker by Allyson James.
Rachel
This is a love/hate book. You will love it if you are looking for super hot erotic sex and a lot of it, or hate it if you expect a substantive coherent story line.

I still can not make up my mind about this book. It is books like this one that makes me wish I were a professional editor because there is so much I could do to improve it. Very simple things like continuity. There are so many places that trip up the story that it becomes irritating! Such as a bleeding wrist while she is laying down
Lilly Heart
I really really wanted to love this book because the story sounded great.

He needs a cure and mate to help his clan and she is the best Doctor around to help him as her research is about the immune system. And there is chemistry between them, but she is human and he's not.

That's the story but, I found I wasn't connected to the characters, I found that Phoebe trusted Dylan way too quick and left with him to New Mexico. Also on the private plan Dylan sent, there was a bed and after meeting him, 24
Preethi
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

I loved the story of Dark Embers, the first book of the Dragon Heat series. The only problem was that if the parts that made up the actual story were mashed up together, it would constitute only one-fourth of the book! The rest is just Dylan and Phoebe 'going-at-it' together. I do like to read a good rolling-around-the sheets, but this was just tooooo much. Well, after the seventh or tenth time, it was just meh. Don't get me wrong, for those of you who like thos
mer
2 stars

SPOILER ALERT. This is an honest and highly subjective review, proceed with caution. You have been warned.

Dylan (Dragon King) + Phoebe (she thinks she's human but she's a dragon shifter).

It was creepy or I could say perhaps it was my luck to find this book because the story was a bit similar to my life minus the fantasy bit. Why did I say that?

*The heroine's research grant being yanked by university. In my case, it's not being yanked, it's discontinued. I can say my research is now shitty
Joy
This was recommended to me and I was anticipating something more fun and exciting. I didn't mind the medical-related thing but I found it a little short of the mark.

I thought it was a simple story about a son who failed his family, and is now facing a dilemma of finding a mate to continue his line, but he has more pressing matters to worry about such as the mysterious disease killing his clan members one by one, especially his closest relatives.

He sought out Phoebe and of course there's the inst
Lauren
Dark Embers
3 Stars

Synopsis
Dylan MacLead is a dragon shapeshifter and leader of the Dragonstar clan, which is being decimated by a deadly and seemingly incurable disease. Dylan's search for someone to save his people leads him to biochemist Phoebe Quillum, a beautiful scientist who appeals to Dylan's every desire. However, as a human, he feels that she can never be his mate. Can Phoebe and Dylan overcome their differences to find both a cure and a passion that will save them all?

Review
Good premis
  • Dragon Down Under (Dragon Down Under, #1)
  • Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1)
  • Naked Dragon (Works Like Magick, #1)
  • Piercing Ecstasy (The Guardians of the Realms, #5)
  • Velvet Haven (Annwyn Chronicles, #1)
  • Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1)
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • Breath of Fire
  • Dragon's Kiss (Shadow of the Dragon, #1)
  • Dragon's Blood (Cruentus Dragons, #1)
  • Claimed by the Wolf (Shadow Guardians, #1)
  • Last Dragon Standing (Dragon Kin, #4)
  • Assassin's Honor (Order of the Sicari, #1)
  • Omega Mine (Alpha and Omega, #1)
  • Masked by Moonlight (Moonlight, #1)
  • Blood Law (Blood Moon Rising Trilogy, #1)
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Kiss of Moonlight (Lucani Lovers, #1)
1975671
Pseudonym for Tracy Wolff

Tessa Adams lives in Texas and teaches writing at her local community college. She is married and the mother of three young sons.
More about Tessa Adams...

Dragon's Heat (4 books)
  • Hidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2)
  • Eternal Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2.5)
  • Forbidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #3)
Hidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2) Soulbound (Lone Star Witch, #1) Forbidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #3) Flamebound (Lone Star Witch, #2) Eternal Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2.5)

“disintegrated before he hit the ground. The only thing left was the syringe he’d planned to use on Dylan. Where are the others? she wondered frantically.” 0 likes