Start by marking “Hope for Your Money: The Economy. Your Questions. Real Answers.” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hope for Your Money: T...

Dave Ramsey

Hope for Your Money: The Economy. Your Questions. Real Answers.

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  655 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Beat debt, build wealth . . . America's foremost expert on personal finances answers YOUR questions on achieving financial peace!

People want long-term financial peace, but they don't know how to attain it on their own. It's especially hard given the disastrous economic state of our country. In "Hope For Your Money, NY Times "best-selling author Dave Ramsey gives a packed,
Published October 1st 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hope for Your Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope for Your Money

Mary Ellen
Aug 22, 2015 Mary Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome, even for newbies at financial planning and managing money. It is easy to understand, and an interesting read. I dreaded reading this book for months, thinking it would be mind-numbingly boring and difficult to grasp, but I was very pleasantly surprised and found it encouraging and motivating.
Stephanie
Sep 08, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Dave Ramsey book and it won't be my last. I really like his theories and ideas for paying off debt and gaining wealth. I am definitely trying to incorporate a lot of his ideas into my own life. I also really liked the set-up of the book with brief questions and answers, making it a fast read with some quick, easy advice and tips.

I have to say, I think this book is geared towards two kinds of people: people who are in major credit card and consumer debt and need help getting out
Justin Tapp
I checked out this book because I’m teaching Dave Ramsey’s FPU next month and have been working through the course material. This book is a FAQ for Dave Ramsey’s advice.
Each Q/A is a couple pages long and the book is a fast read. There is nothing in this book that you can’t learn by Googling for the information. The questions range from “what is a debit card?” to “My spouse and I have separated and I’m terrified he will bankrupt me. What do I do?”

All of the teaching points and anecdotes from Dav
Kim
Jan 26, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I you are a married, sexist, Christian father who is outrageously in debt and lacking common sense, this book might be helpful. Otherwise all but a few of the answers will be pretty useless.
Steph
Jun 07, 2013 Steph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: financial
There isn't much more that Dave Ramsey can write about on the world of conservative finances. "The Money Answer Book" is a condensed version of "The Total Money Makeover." While its title lends one to believe that the book actually answers questions, many of his responses are, "Just don't do it!", which doesn't actually answer the question being presented. I'm a huge fan of Dave Ramsey and his ultra-conservative, you-did-this-to-yourself approach to getting out of debt, but giving good, honest a ...more
Matthew
I mostly agree with Dave Ramsey, especially on the debt discussions. I work in the industry, and I think that the returns he says you can get on mutual funds are seriously inflated. With that being said, his message overall will help people who need it.

I am glad I didn't buy this book, I read it from my library, there is nothing new from Dave here. If you have read Total Money Makeover this book is not necessary or even very useful.
Kristin
Mar 17, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in preparation for a Relief Society finance activity I am helping with next month and wanted to get more ideas about what the focus should be. The format was nice - a question on each page and then a short and concise answer. I dog eared a good number of pages as I read....things I want to talk to my husband about and things I want to remember. I liked his 7 baby steps in this order: $1000 in an emergency fund, pay off all debt except house, 3-6 months expenses in savings, 15% into ret ...more
Cj Sime
Oct 16, 2014 Cj Sime rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This would be good as a precursor to FPU, but having read several other of Dave's books, this book didn't add anything to my understanding.
Pastoralmusings
Jun 15, 2010 Pastoralmusings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got questions about money? The Money Answer Book probably has the answer.
Subtitled “Quick answers for your everyday financial questions”, The Money Answer Book will be of great help for someone who is needing to find an answer to their questions about the day to day money matters.
Dave Ramsey has promoted the emergency fund, paying off debt via the debt snowball, and encouraged saving and investing for retirement for quite a while now. His hard-hitting, no punches pulled style of speaking is seen
Leona
May 18, 2012 Leona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Money Answer Book by Dave Ramsey
The Money Answer Book by Dave Ramsey.
Great books for all ages. I requested this book because I have heard Dave Ramsey on the radio and I have seen him on the Fox Business Network.
A short but simple book on managing your money and how to do it. Follow the money rules and you should be able to make it. Dave Ramsey is against spending more than you have and does not like the use of credit cards.
There are chapters for debt, saving and investing, automobiles, insu
Sep 10, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: THE MONEY ANSWER BOOK
Author: Dave Ramsey
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
May 2010
ISBN: 978-1-4041-8779-5
Genre: Money/finances

Dave Ramsey has been the top financial advisor in the world for decades. Millions listened to his radio broadcasts or went to his organization to have help in getting out of debt.

In THE MONEY ANSWER BOOK, Mr. Ramsey has taken his most asked questions and addressed them. These include:

Debt, Credit and Bankruptcy
Relationships and Money
Budgeting
Saving & Investing
Stewardshi
Michelle Padrelanan
In this age of economic downturn, it is very important to our lives and our future that we make the best decisions regarding our finances. Being a good steward of our resources is one of the Bible’s most important lessons. Unfortunately, most of us don’t know / don’t understand much about taking good care of our finances.

The Money Answer Book – Quick Answers for Your Everyday Financial Questions by Dave Ramsey is a very informative book on finances. Dave Ramsey honestly and fearlessly gives us d
Feb 22, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This little book of quick facts is going with me to every coaching session. I highlighted portions that I am most likely to reference and am really looking forward to using this as a coaching resource.

Do not start with this book if you're looking for a solid, comprehensive, financial foundation. It's designed to briefly reference what you've already studied about the major financial chapters in your life (debt, saving, mortgages) via other books like "Total Money Makeover" or "Financial Peace Re
Krista
May 31, 2010 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a BIG Dave Ramsey fan. Brian and I have read several of his other books and wholeheartedly agree with his financial advice.

We have used the debt snowball technique to pay off our debt and we have no credit cards!! Dave has literally changed the way we think about money.

This particular book gives answers to a lot of questions people have about finances. Even though I have read all of his other books, I sill learned a TON of information I did not know before. I was amazed at how quickly I re
Kent
Lots of very good practical advice about money. I suspect this book is not very useful to those who do not encounter any money difficulties, since they probably already know or at least act on the advice in this book.

My favorite quote, "The average person playing the lottery spends $32 a month. That same $32 a month represents over $1 million in retirement if invested over a working lifetime."
Frank Coleman
So yeah...I don't think I'll be reading any more Ramsey books. Just not for me. I didn't like his tone. The vibe I get from him is 'here is my view, if you disagree you're an idiot/not smart'. He also sensationalizes numbers in order to make a point. For example: he said 'the average car payment is $378/month...if you put $378/month in a growth stock fund from the age of 25-65 you'd have $4.4 million!!' Um, he compared paying $378/month for 5 years to investing $378/month for FORTY YEARS! Also h ...more
Casey
Feb 06, 2015 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information. He has helped SO many people, so his information is extremely straight forward, and slightly blunt. This is not completely relevant to people who are perhaps freelancers, or those with irregular income, like myself, but there are very good principles here.
Mona Green
Mar 22, 2016 Mona Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable for me. I feel the shifting in my thought process when I think of money. It's great being an open minded person for better ways of doing things. Being weird and not following a group of people is great!
Ethan Fleck
Not a bad, quick read, a little dated. If you've already read some of his other books, you can probably skip this. If this is your first book by Dave Ramsey, it's a pretty easy introduction into the basics.
Bruno
Aug 01, 2015 Bruno rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Just a quick q&a series, like the name says.

Maybe useful if you haven't read the other books (total money makeover mainly), but lacks a plan/strategy.

It's better to read total money makeover.
Dupsie Oriyomi
Dec 28, 2012 Dupsie Oriyomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was very interesting and even though I am not a christian, there were some really good advice in this book. However, there were a couple of things I don't agree with and I'm guessing it is because of dave ramsey's belief, he says not to marry someone who wants a prenuptial agreement. Well if I had tons of money, I will definietly insist of my partner signing up for a pre nup.

He also advises against have separate accounts and claims you should only have joint accounts as a couple. Well
Marie
Oct 06, 2015 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Dave Ramsey. I love reading books on finance that are easy to understand and follow. This book was good but I didn't really learn anything new that I haven't read in his other books.
Kristen
May 26, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. Good supplement to Dave's other books. I would suggest starting first with Financial Peace Revisited and Total Money Makeover.
Alec Justice
Apr 26, 2016 Alec Justice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, easy summary of Dave's basic philosophy and financial tips. Good reference if you ever need a refresher after the course.
Guy Simard
Jan 15, 2016 Guy Simard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and practical advice. I love how this is all short topics (Answers to questions) so you can read it cover to cover or simply look up what you need!
Caristy Olson
This book is very commonsensical. You want to get out of debt don't use credit cards. Just answers questions Dave gets asked everyday.
Daphne Smallwood
Very good book. I always like the way Dave Ramsey beats you over the head and calls you stupid. Read out only if you want to hear the truth.
Jared Manning
Jun 18, 2015 Jared Manning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very simple book. Good question and answer book. Nothing super new here for those of us that listen to the radio show daily.
Dawn
Apr 07, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, short-to-the-point financial advice. I'm using this as a stepping stone before getting into the heavier financial books.
Leslie
Jan 01, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a quick read if you need a boost to keep tackling financial issues, and it's a good resource to have on hand.
  • God Will Make a Way: What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do
  • Your Money Map: A Proven 7-Step Guide to True Financial Freedom
  • Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • The Strong-Willed Child: Birth Through Adolescence
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Moments Together For Couples: Devotions for Drawing Near to God and One Another
  • Living the Extraordinary Life: Nine Principles to Discover It
  • You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling
  • Flight of the Doves
  • Wealth: Is It Worth It?
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Pay It Down!: From Debt to Wealth on $10 a Day
  • Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
  • With God in Russia
  • Life Management for Busy Women: Living Out God's Plan with Passion & Purpose
  • The 7 Worst Things Good Parents Do
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
David L. Ramsey III (b. September 3, 1960) is an American financial writer, radio and television host.

More about Dave Ramsey...

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved. HELEN KELLER” 5 likes
“The German root word for “debt” is the same as for “guilt.” 4 likes