Start by marking “At Wicks End (A Candlemaking Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
At Wicks End (A Candlemaking Mystery, #1)

At Wicks End (A Candlemaking Mystery #1)

Upon his Great-Aunt Belle's death, Harrison Black inherits her candle shop. When he begins to suspect foul play in her death, he does a bit of sleuthing. But it looks like he's playing with fire-because somebody wants Harrison to mind his own beeswax...
Published (first published February 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about At Wicks End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Wicks End

Sandra Dagg
Oct 23, 2014 Sandra Dagg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this one yesterday, so thought I'd better review it now, as I've already started the 2nd book. To my memory, which is not perfect by a long shot, I think this is the first mystery I've read since the Nancy Drew books as a teenager. If I'm wrong, then whatever I read must not have impressed me much! Anyhow, I DID enjoy THIS mystery, found it held my interest, and all the various characters in the warehouse block were part of the reason for that. I didn't figure out 'whodunit', but for me ...more
Cheryl Landmark
This was a light, pleasant cozy read with the main character being a male for a change. Most cozy mysteries seem to focus on young women who own some sort of unusual shop or bookstore in a small town. This one had a young man, Harrison Black, who inherited his great aunt's candlemaking shop and a murder as well.

The candlemaking process sounded quite interesting and fun. The characters were likeable and slightly quirky, and, although the mystery was not particularly deep and complex, it was not o
Mark Baker
Jul 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2004
Harrison's great-aunt has died, and she left Harrison her candle shop. Harrison knows nothing about the business, but while trying to figure it out, he also figures out that his great-aunt was murdered. I like the character but the plot could have been better.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Teresa Scott
Dec 08, 2016 Teresa Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. The characters are so likable that they feel like people you already know. As usual, I was able to solve the mystery way before the end of the book, but it was great.
Fairlee Corkran
I enjoy this more than I thought I would. Will continue to read this series
Allison
Dec 16, 2016 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very average. Some glaring editing gaffs/typos.
Randee Baty
Cozy mysteries, one of my favorite genres, are known for having the main character own some sort of shop. It seems to me that many of these shops could never stay in business, especially since so many of them are in small towns. There would never be enough business to keep the doors open. That was my first thought as I started At Wick’s End by Tim Myers.

Our hero, Harrison Black, inherits his aunt’s candlemaking shop upon her death. Really? A whole shop with nothing but candlemaking equipment? Ma
Michelle Randall
Candlemaking, I've only briefly tried my hand at the simple poured candles, but a cozy mystery set in a candle shop, well that is right up my alley.

The book starts with a phone call, telling Harrison that his great0aunt has passed away and that he has inherited her candlemaking shop, along with the whole building that houses the shop, including some other craft type stores and an apartment upstairs.

The more Harrison gets to know the people and how things work, he is not so sure that his aunts de
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading about Harrison learning about candlemaking - a craft his recently departed dear Great-aunt Belle had loved. I developed a fondness for his aunt through everyone's descriptions of her. She sounded like a lady I would have loved to meet.

The mystery was fun, too. And I really liked that Harrison was skeptical of everyone. It made me chuckle out loud a few times, even though I read it while under the weather.

While I feel like the book introduced me pretty well to Harrison, I felt I
Writerlibrarian
Cozy mystery type of novel. This is the opening novel in Myers' "Candle shop mysteries". Harrison Black inherit from his great aunt Belle's her candle shop and building which houses a few other small businesses and offices. Harrison dives right into his new life and becomes suspicious of the details of his great aunt's death. A array of colorful yet not really multi dimensional characters fill the space. Despite an ex-girlfriend and another woman flirting with Harrison, I don't buy that he's all ...more
NotQuiteAllHere
Jan 27, 2015 NotQuiteAllHere rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
This was a fun quick read mystery. The plot was simple, the characters are cute, and there is quite a bit of talk about food of coffee which always makes me happy. The mystery was well timed by the time I decided who the murder was just before Harrison was ready to confront them. I didn't figure out for sure too quick so then you are sitting there the whole time going "that is the bad guy" which is irritating but worst are the ones that never give to enough information until after the revele the ...more
Lorri
Nov 12, 2008 Lorri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just imagine being stuck in a deadend job and receiving a call from your great aunt's lawyer telling you that you've inherited her candle shop with the stipulation that you learn how to run it and keep it for at least one year. So you move into the town where your aunt lived in an discover that not only did she leave you the shop but a lovely apartment above it and indeed you are the landlord to the entire building when it begins to dawn on you that maybe your aunt's death isn't an accident and ...more
Luffy
Mar 05, 2016 Luffy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very depressing read and I'm irked that I'm writing a review for this book. But I must do so, in order to register as many reviews as ratings. I've changed the rating from an insanely over generous three stars to a one because this book is full of nasty characters. And the only good person dies before chapter one. Tim Myers is not at his best here, and I prefer him as Chris Cavender. Enough said.
Diane
Dec 14, 2007 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this book about a young man named Harrison Black who inherits his great Aunts candle shop AT Wicks End. He is currently trying get the shop running and making a profit, while learning candle making and running his own businness. On top of that he is trying to solve his Great Aunt Belle's murder. Great little mystery. Quick read.
Trish
Aug 19, 2014 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
There seems to be a tendency in some kinds of US mysteries for titles with puns in them, and a hook which they can then add helpful tips about. Tim Myers definitely has both! That said, his various characters are fun, and the settings are interesting.
Erica Lundstrom
I was enjoying the book until the main character did something incredibly stupid about 1/2 way through, then I just skipped to the end to see how it all panned out.
Janell
Nov 16, 2008 Janell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable murder mystery that takes place at a candle shop. Great characters. (Clean plot and language.)
Rebecca
Aug 23, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rmr-project
I wonder if it might be "better" without the prologue. Good tension and suspense in early chapters. Would definitely like to find more of these.

Also has recipes. How odd.
Aimee
Nov 17, 2013 Aimee rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was pretty good. Overall I think I would give it 3.5 stars. It sets up for the next book at the end and I would eventually like to read the next book in the series.
Deborah
First in a series. Nicely written cozy mystery. Interesting facts about candle making and a couple of recipes at the end of the book.
Grace Atwood
Grace Atwood rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2010
Moira
Moira rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Stella Fowler
Stella Fowler rated it liked it
May 15, 2009
Shaunesay Eslanai
Shaunesay Eslanai rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2009
Stephanie Tadlock
Stephanie Tadlock rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Maryjo
Maryjo rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Luanna I.
Luanna I. rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Mystery Madness: BOTM 01/2017 - At Wicks End (Candlemaking Mysteries) 1 3 Dec 31, 2016 02:15PM
  • Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Mayhem in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #2)
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
  • Black Alice
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • Looming Murder
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Murder by Yew (Edna Davies, #1)
  • Unraveled Sleeve (A Needlecraft Mystery, #4)
  • Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat Mystery, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Most Crafty
  • A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4)
Also writes under the pseudonyms Elizabeth Bright, Melissa Glazer and Chris Cavender.

Tim Myers is the author of dozens of short stories published in mystery magazines and anthologies. He lives with his family near the Blue Ridge Mountains he loves and writes about. He is the award-winning author of the Agatha nominated Lighthouse Inn mystery series as well as over seventy short stories. Tim has be
More about Tim Myers...

A Candlemaking Mystery (4 books)
  • Snuffed Out (A Candlemaking Mystery, #2)
  • Death Waxed Over (A Candlemaking Mystery, #3)
  • A Flicker of Doubt (A Candlemaking Mystery, #4)