Start by marking “The Squeaky Door” as Want to Read:
The Squeaky Door

The Squeaky Door

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  67 reviews
THE SQUEAKY DOOR

It's time for bed! Granny tucks Little Boy in tight. She kisses him good night. She turns out the light. And he's not scared! No, not him! But when Granny shuts that door... SQUEEEEAK!

How can a granny keep that spooky, squeaky door from scaring her little boy awake at night?

Acclaimed storyteller Margaret Read MacDonald spins a humorous bedtime story, perfec...more
Published January 3rd 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Squeaky Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Squeaky Door

Lisa Vegan
Oh, I was laughing so hard already when the first animal, the cat, was introduced, partly because of the pictures of the cat. Very funny! This is an amusing story (based on a Puerto Rican folk song and also previously told by a New Zealand storyteller, and there is also a Chilean version of this tale) about a boy who is scared by a squeaky door, so his grandmother goes to greater & greater lengths to ease his fear. (The author’s note at the end invites the reader to include any animals they...more
Kathryn
This is the story of a little boy who has trouble sleeping at Grandma's because the squeaky bedroom door is scary, so she brings him various animals (from a cat to a horse!) to sleep in bed with him and keep him from being afraid. Though, it doesn't quite go the way she planned...

I can see where it would probably be very cute and fun in the right circumstances (maybe a kid nervous about staying over at grandma's or another sleepover) though I must say I found it a tad tedious with all the repeti...more
Ronyell
This is one of the few times I have actually read a Puerto Rican folktale since I usually read many Mexican folktales. “The Squeaky Door” is a Puerto Rican folktale retold by Margaret Read MacDonald, popular author for retelling various folktales and illustrated by Mary Newell DePalma. In this tale, a young boy tries to go to sleep, but the squeaky door keeps him up all night! “The Squeaky Door” is a truly hilarious and brilliant folktale that every child should definitely read!

I just absolutely...more
Cheryl
Cute, funny, and I liked how Grandma fixed things (in her overalls) the next day. I didn't like that the freshly bathed pig got a 'yuck' comment with its kiss, and that the horse didn't get a bath or a 'yuck.'

I want a pair of scuffs like grandma's - the only slippers I can find nowadays have too much padding & fleece or fuzziness!

All the repitition makes this good for beginning readers. My sons and I weren't fans of the different Step into Reading books but instead used books like this, and...more
Dolly
Sep 14, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous retelling of an old Puerto Rican folktale. The animal noises and onomatopoeia, along with the varying speaking tones and dramatic pauses make this book fun to read aloud. It got a bit too repetitive for me, but not for our girls. After just a couple of iterations, our girls were saying the repeating narrative for me and we all enjoyed yelling, "SQUEEEEAK!" The illustrations are very expressive and we loved the animals in pajamas and eye shades, all tucked in to bed. We enjoyed...more
Karol
A cute and sweet story about a squeaky door that makes a grandchild scared when he visits his grandparents' home. Grandma's efforts to comfort the boy are no good, but she keeps trying with hilarious results.

I liked this light-hearted story about a situation that we all can relate to: trying to help a young child fall asleep in an unfamiliar (or at least, non-routine) place. The illustrations added to the humor and were the perfect complement to the story.

I like that the author gave credit where...more
Margaux
This one is based off of the Puerto Rican folk song, "La Cama." It's a building story, as in the boy is alone in the bed and gets scared, so grandma puts the cat in bed with him, then the dog, then the pig etc...

I can't believe I didn't do a review of this book after my preschool storytime a few weeks ago. In a group where the kids sometimes get a little bored and lose interest, I really was worried about doing this book. The illustrations aren't the most exciting but I really love the rhythm an...more
David
The Squeaky Door by Margaret Read MacDonald, illustrated by Mary Newell DePalma recreates an old folktale into a cumulative tale appropriate for bedtime or as a storytime read-aloud.

His Grandma tucks Little Boy into bed, but when she closes the very loud squeaky, scary door, he cries out. Grandma tries a series of crazy attempts to keep Little Boy from being afraid to go to sleep in the bed. When bringing in a cat doesn't work, she adds a dog, then a pig, then a horse - with unfortunate results...more
Randie
Grandma is worried that Little Boy will be afraid to sleep in the great big bed all alone, so she tucks him in, gives him a kiss, tip toes out of the room, and very slowly closes the squeaky door. Each time the door closes, the boy screams and Grandma tucks an animal into the bed so the Little Boy isn't alone. Is Little Boy really afraid to be alone or could be something else?

This story was inspired by a Puerto Rican folktale. Margaret Read MacDonald did an excellent job of transforming it into...more
Lorna
From an author and professional storyteller that I've arranged to come to our school later in the week. She is supposed to be an amazing!
Kristanne Duncan
The Squeaky Door is based on a Puerto Rican folk song. In this story, a little boy goes to stay at his grandma's house. As a surprise the grandma tells the boy that he will be able to sleep in the BIG brass bed all by himself. But as the door squeaks closed the boy gets scared and cries out. The grandma goes to great lengths throughout the story trying to make sure that her grandson will not be scared. She brings in the cat, the dog, the pig, and finally the horse in hopes that the little boy wi...more
Maggie
CIP: "When Little Boy is frightened by a squeaky bedroom door, his grandmother brings in various animals to help him feel secure enough to sleep."

Maggie: Little Boy gets a treat when staying at Grandma's house: he gets to sleep in the big brass bed. Unfortunately, the door to the bedroom in which the brass bed resides makes a squeaking noise when being shut that frightens Little Boy. In the end, even with the comfort of numerous animals beside him, Little Boy remains frightened and Grandma decid...more
Sandybear76
I picked this one up to read to the second graders, who loved it. Even the teacher was laughing along as I read the book. I feared the story might be too young for them but they greatly enjoyed it. They really liked all the sounds in the books and yuck kissing a pig. The students had fun making the sounds along with me as I read. The students couldn't imagine having the animals with them to sleep but a few of the students seem willing to try it.

A very silly story but lots of fun and sounds. It...more
Juliette
Grades Pre-K through 3rd.

A little boy is spending the night at Grandma's and the squeaky door is scaring him, so Grandma decides to bring in some unlikely bedfellows. This is a humorous tale that helps children with repetition and order (the cat, the dog....).

While this story is based off of a Puerto Rican folk song "La Cama", the story itself in no way represents a culture. So if it were to be used in the classroom as a multicultural book, it would have to be used in comparison to it's inspirat...more
Vicki
Oh my gosh! What a fun read to the YMCA after school childcare. Animals, a boy and his grandma and SQUEAKY door + repetitive words/phrases.

I got the elementary children who listened to totally involved, it was amazing!
Jess
Mar 19, 2011 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jess by: Monarch
I liked this book. I hadn't heard this folktale before and I would like to try out a few versions of it. MacDonald's version is good, but there's a few places where she has unnecessary repeats. I don't mean the part with the animals, that all works. The first and second page say the same thing twice. This happens maybe 2-3 time in the book. Recommeneded, but I'm still going to look at other author's takes.

Enjoyable read aloud, kids liked it. Note - know they will be somewhat loud during the rea...more
Kristina
Kids can say together the "no, not me!" when asked if the boy was scared. Also can do repetitive actions each time grandma leaves the room.
Elizabeth S
A lot of picture books with good repetition are also extremely boring. But not this one! This one is fun to read over and over. :)
Jenny
This is a retelling of a song. It's about a little boy whose grandma is trying to put him to bed. The boy says he won't be scared...but when the door squeaks as grandma closes it, he screams. So she lovingly adds animals (real, not stuffed) to the bed to help him sleep... the cat, dog, pig, etc. Cute cumulative tale...with a fun ending. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that I personally prefer characters to have a name...this one is just "Little Boy".
Linda
It's rather cute and fun - for little children - however I found it a tad tedious with all the repetition. Again - little kids will enjoy the anticipation of knowing what's coming next.

Kids will enjoy the silliness of the horse in the bed, and all the animals being dressed up in pjs, but as a parent I would start to get a bit 'over' this book after too many reads.

Happy to see Grandma getting in and fixing the door and bed. Handy Granny!

Allison Parker
A little boy is happy to go for an overnight visit to his grandma’s house. She asks him if he will be scared sleeping in the big brass bed all by himself. “No, not me!” the little boy replies. But the minute that door slowly squeaks shut, the poor boy starts to cry! But there’s no need to get upset: Grandma finds some household animals to keep him company. The little boy won’t be scared anymore, will he? Read this book to find out how this folktale ends.
Caroline
The little boy is visiting his grandmother's house for the night. However, when she puts him to bed, the door squeaks and scares him. Grandma offers to put various animals into bed with him to help him be brave.

This is a great book for storytime! Repetivie narration, funny concept, great opportunity for sound effects (with the CREEEEAAAAAAAKKKK! and all the animal sounds). Appropriate for preschoolers or toddlers.
Mrs. Brandt
We read this book looking for patterns that would help us figure out what would happen next. The students very enthusiastically provided the sound effects, which also follow patterns.
For example, a loud 'SQUEAK' is required whenever grandmother closes the door - followed by the scared cries of the boy ('WAAAH') and of each of the animals currently in the bed with him.

Ellen Brandt
Lisa Nagel
The author's note says that this story is a spin off from an old Puerto Rican folk song. It is the cute story of a boy who is sleeping over at Grandma's. When she tucks him in and goes to close the door...it squeaks. How grandma tries to keep the boy from being scared is a hoot. This is a great book teachers can use to teach sequencing and repetition. Fun fun.
Jackie
What to do...what to do? When a squeeaakky door keeps the little boy up at night, Grandma tries to think of all the ways to help him sleep. Should he sleep with the cat, the dog, the pig, or the horse? But when the bed breaks from all that extra weight, Grandma knows just what to do...must do something about The Squeaky Door.

Bree
I enjoy reading folklore to my child. In most cases neither of us know the original story and with the children's illustrations they are very much updated like this book is. I loved that MRM gave the background of the folklore in the back of the book. I wish more author's did this.
Keri Dodson
Fantastic read aloud for kindergarten! The children had so much fun making the "squeak", "click" and "kiss" noises for me, and the pattern allowed even the newest readers to participate in the book. Maybe not the best story but lots of fun for little ones if you get them to participate.
Beth
I think I have recommended this one before, but I need to plug it again. My three-year-old loves this book, and it's so much fun to read aloud! Lots of repetition make it a favorite with kids. We read it at playgroup and the part with the pig got lots of giggles.
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Silly Doggy!
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
Mabela the Clever Too Many Fairies: A Celtic Tale Go To Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale The Boy from the Dragon Palace: A Folktale from Japan Pickin' Peas