Start by marking “Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  352,476 ratings  ·  17,555 reviews
Magic is dangerous — but love is more dangerous still

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seek
Published March 1st 2011 by Walker Books Ltd (first published September 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Angel, please sign up.

Julie Stout I actually preferred to read Mortal Instruments before... Gave me a better sense of the shadow hunter world in the Infernal Devices.
Sanne I'd recommend reading those books in the order they were released:
City of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
Clockwork Angel
City of Fallen Angels
Clockwork…more
I'd recommend reading those books in the order they were released:
City of Bones
Clockwork Prince
City of Lost Souls
Clockwork Princess
City of Heavenly Fire

From Clockwork Angel on, both series kind of intertwine and some things are foreshadowed in one series that is going to happen in the other. This way you're reading it as Cassandra Clare intended the story to unfold, and you won't be accidentally "spoiled" for one series. :)(less)

Kat Kennedy
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
THIS WAS SO GREAT. I'm so glad that I finally picked it up! I'm going to be doing video review/discussion for this so be on the look out for that soon on youtube.com/jessethereader :)
Lola
description

When people ask me ''Who is your favorite author?'' I never know exactly what answer to offer. I very much enjoy reading L.J. Smith’s books. But C.S. Pacat is my favorite M/M author! And let’s not forget how amazing J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series is. Oh, and have you heard of Kiera Cass? She wrote such a swoon-worthy love story! And Eliza Crewe, Leigh Bardugo, Laini Taylor and Marissa Meyer are all new favorite authors of mine.

Nonsense. No need to be torned ever again.

description

Cassandra Clare...is,
Etnik
Mountain View

____________________________________________

____________________________________________

Mountain View

5 FULLY STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I never thought this could be that good.I had started "City of Bones" (the first book of The Mortal Instruments by the same author) but it didn't work for me so I thought this could be the same but I was totally wr

Wendy Darling
A fan of Will Herondale, are you? Prepare to swoon.

The Dirty Sexy Attic Scene, from Will's point of view: http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/loss1

Yeah, yeah, it's a little over the top in parts, but who cares? :D Yum

Merged review:

I don't give many 5 star reviews, but this one is definitely a 5 star book for me. While I liked Mortal Instruments, I wasn't as rabid a fan as I know many people are, so I read Clockwork Angel out of curiosity more than anything else...and I'm so glad I did!

This book is
Janina
To be honest, I’m not quite sure how to rate this book. It wasn’t all bad, but I wouldn’t say it was good either. It was rather boring at times and the story dragged heavily, especially in the middle and towards the end. None of the characters has become particularly dear to me. I didn’t buy the love story.
However, I think I would have liked it much better if I hadn’t read the Mortal Instruments series before. But the books are so similar (which was to be expected, I know, as they are set in th
Cara
Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A must for TMI fans
Oh you guessed it I read this to up my book count! So, granted it's not an entire book but I really needed to catch up.

For those of you that didn't know about it here is the link. It's the attic scene from the Will's perspective.

This just made me more excited for Clockwork Prince to come out. Goodness I am not patient these days!

Merged review:

Seriously blown away doesn't even cover it. I have to admit I had my doubts and reservations about how this book was going to turn out. We have the eve
Mizuki
This book got 1.5 stars from me simply because I was also reading Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck, and comparing with Tiger's Quest, Clockwork Angel looks like it deserves 1.5 stars...

In order to save you some precious time, I will tell you my honest reaction to Clockwork Angel right here, right now:

Thank you, Shou.

Also, when I first opened the book, I was faced by this description as well:

Magic is dangerous-but love is more dangerous still.

*sighs* What kind of soap-operatic shit is that!? I hat
Kat O'Keeffe
This book was SO GOOD! I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of 3rd person past tense, so it did take me a little while to get into it, but once I did WOW! The world building and the characters and the story are all fantastic and woven together SO well, and the ending was brilliant, full of action and surprises! I've already grown attached to these characters and have become invested in their story and their secrets--I'm especially dying to know what's going on with Will!

Overall, an EXCELLENT fir
Sandra
Most people are constantly raving on about Clockwork Angel and the whole TID trilogy being better than TMI, and i'm like 'I ain't gonna believe that shit til i see it'. So, i brought the book. Was it better from TMI? Big, fat NO.

The beginning (1-100 pg)
tumblr mkgjge Er031qlxvxuo1 500 zps6d211303

100-200 pages
bored zps81708225

The beginning till the middle was horrible. I had to force myself to keep on reading. It was so tedious i had to fight the urge to fall asleep. Most of the stuff was not even relevant and important! There was so much small, annoy
Reader-ramble
Oct 02, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one.
Cassie Clare. We meet again.

I apparently have gained a following because of these reviews, and they have convinced me to use my analytical powers on The Infernal Devices series. You could say I'm easily swayed because I lack dignity. But this is really just too much fun. It's so much fun, I need to be stroking a cat.

First, the usual disclaimer. This review contains spoilers, griping, whining, over thinking, and general ranting. Trolls need not apply.

Let's get started.

Ladies and gents. Gather 'ro
Chloe
My favourite book of the year so far! Can't wait to carry on with the rest of the series!
Amy
Having read Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series beforehand and having only found them to be entertaining but certainly not amazing, I began Clockwork Angel with fairly modest expectations, anticipating at the most, unique characters and humor abound. Never did I imagine that it would find its way into my list of all-time favorites, but very frankly, there it is. Wow. Be forewarned: this book is no literary great. There is no literary aspiration here, no groundbreaking prose, no food for ...more
Lindsey Rey
Enjoyed this one and found it very intriguing! I will be continuing this series.
Joyzi
Dec 26, 2010 Joyzi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of TMI trilogy
Recommended to Joyzi by: Cassandra Clare
Heather
As my fellow readers well know, I adore Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments Series with unrivaled passion. After all, Jace Wayland is my fictional husband, it’s only natural I would want to devour anything written by the woman who thought him into existence. But…when I read the synopsis of ClockworkAngel, I was a bit reluctant to begin another journey that existed in the same world as my beloved Jace, Clary, and Co., even it is set 100 some odd years prior. I intuitively felt that the only way ...more
⇠ ⇢* Sophie MG
Title: Clockwork Angel
Trilogy: The Infernal Devices (book #1)
Author: Cassandra Clare

London, 1878, if you think there can't be a book at the same level as the ones in The Mortal Instruments series, you are making a huge mistake my friend!

What to expect:

A story that will delight your expectations, you enjoy it every moment and at the same time you start an adventure full of excitement and incredibly developed characters.

THE REVIEW

... mmm I think I need a hug and some ice cream even though I haven'
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
AHHHHHHH
Katieb (MundieMoms)
I have read some amazing series, by some wonderful authors. Most of the time I find that I love one or two of their books, and only a couple of their characters. Then there's Cassandra Clare, who introduces me to a whole new world in her Mortal Instruments Series. She has a whole cast of unique characters that keep me engrossed in the storyline. Now there's Clockwork Angel.

Cassandra Clare is brilliant! Not only did Cassie captivate me with her Victorian Era setting (in London) and transport me i
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
First rating: 4 stars.
Reread rating: 4 stars again

"This is what is real, and the life I had before was a dream."
"That is correct. And now is the time to wake up"

Cassandra Clare is and always will be a fantastic writer when it comes to worldbuilding and sucking the reader into a book.

photo angelquote.png

Tessa, an American teenage girl in 1878 has recently suffered the loss of her Aunt when her brother sends her a ticket to travel from New York to London. Upon arrival, Tessa is abducted by a sinister duo who c
Kana
Penny
**More like 2.9 stars, so I went ahead and rounded it up.**

If you've been following my reviews you know that I love underdogs. I'm not entirely sure why I love underdogs. I just do. Perhaps it's my belief that underdogs typically have the potential to be top dog if they just try a little harder, put a little more effort into whatever they're trying to accomplish.

So I stand on the sidelines cheering like a maniac for the underdog, despite the odds, despite their performance in the past. Thinking
Amelia
WARNING :
For everyone out there, bookbloggers and mundanes alike, there is no way to avoid the inevitable. You will fall in love with William Herondale, given codename: #101

SYMPTOMS
Include: Crying without stopping. Having dreams which occur after reading about #101. Shortness of breath. The incapability of being about the form sentences. Thinking about #101 non-stop. Day-dreaming about #101. Chest pains. A sudden fear of Ducks. Quoting lines from books at random. Smiling, whilst thinking abou
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Oh Tessa! Getting rescued by Will wasn't enough because she didn't want to leave her books behind. Clever girl and I love her already :) I love these books. Seriously. The story line, the characters, the setting, the world building. It is all tied together to form a seriously killer series.

Can I say how sexy Will Herondale is? Yes, I know he's a literary character and not even real, yet there's this likability about him that makes him feel real. He's not a cookie cutter hero where all the girls
Stacia (the 2010 club)
4.5 stars. This book was a fun read, a bit darker than the MI books, but still easy to enjoy. I know that many of the diehard MI fans say this one isn't quite as good, but I disagree. Clockwork Angel was a better first installment to a series than City of Bones was. Did I like it better than my favorite MI book, which was City of Glass? No. City of Glass is still my favorite. But if I'm only comparing first book vs. first book, this one blows CoB out of the water.

Of course, there are connections
Jason Koivu
Girls deserve better than this. Literarily speaking, this writing is good enough, but damn it, who wants good enough?

I say "girls" because this is the target audience of Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel. Love, emotions, strong female characters, this has them in spades. On the negative side, it also panders a bit with overt book love, puppy love and petty angst.

Regardless of the testosterone that was gushing through my boy parts, I might've enjoyed the heck out of this when I was 12 or 13ish,
Laz
Jan 21, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: steampunk fans
“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”

Set in the Victorian era, this is a magnificent steampunk book with, okay, let's admit it, Mrs. Clare's writing is what makes this so perfect. The world, Shadow World, she's created is an amazing fit and one I couldn't ever imagine being combined with the Victorian era. I loved it so much, it such an original book and Mrs. Clare won't ever stop surprising me. Firt, The Mortal Instruments which are one of my most favori
Jasmine
4.5 STARS!

Love it. Couldn't stop reading it. Love the world building especially the Victorian era setting. Awesome characters and am feeling invested with these characters already!! Just awesome. AWESOME!

No time for a full review, sorry! Need to move on to the next one now! :D
Ceilidh
My review of the first book in her Mortal Instruments trilogy, “City of Bones”, was hardly the glowing review of the year, and anyone with a white belt in google knowledge can look up the less than clean history of Miss Cla(i)re and her fandom shenanigans. I bring them up here because, as I mentioned in my first review of her work, her work reads like fanfiction (with one whole passage of it taken from her most famous Harry Potter fanfiction, as you can see from here.) So I knew I’d never read t ...more
Kate ❣
Actual rating:
4.5/5
5 months later and i've finally finished this book!! hahahah!!! What an accomplishment, I've been reading it for so long and just kept putting it down, not because i wasn't enjoying it, jut because i have to be in the mood for Cassandra Clare books and i just wasn't at the time i picked it up... anyway...
This book was such a roller coaster! I love Jem, also really like Will, Jessamine, Sophie and Tessa. The characters are so great, much like the setting of London in this book.
  • The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)
  • The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
  • Summer's Crossing (Iron Fey, #3.5)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • Elixir (Covenant, #3.5)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey, #4.5)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • The Demon's Surrender (The Demon's Lexicon, #3)
  • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • Angel Fire (Angel, #2)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Infernal Devices (3 books)
  • Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
  • Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” 12212 likes
“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.” 7730 likes