Start by marking “The Evangelical Universalist” as Want to Read:
The Evangelical Universalist

The Evangelical Universalist

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  23 reviews
- Can an orthodox Christian, committed to the historic faith of the Church and the authority of the Bible, be a universalist?
- Is it possible to believe that salvation is found only by grace, through faith in Christ, and yet to maintain that in the end all people will be saved?
- Can one believe passionately in mission if one does not think that anyone will be lost foreve
Paperback
Published May 1st 2006 by Cascade Books

To ask other readers questions about The Evangelical Universalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evangelical Universalist

Elissa Anne
This is a heavy read for those not theologically inclined. I was most struck by the philosophical arguments against hell and wondered how I ever personally held to the belief that God, whilst strong enough to save all, would deliberately choose not to, simply to respect free will - when that free will is irrational and detrimental to ones own health.

The authors theological arguments are also thorough and I feel as though I have a solid grounding for choosing to believe what I wanted to believe a
Joseph Aumentado
In his paradigm shaking work, Gregory MacDonald (AKA Robin Parry) challenges the traditional view of hell for a kind of universalism that eventually leads to the ultimate reconciliation of the whole world. Bringing careful biblical exegesis and philosophical precision to the debate, MacDonald argues persuasively that universalism, at the very least, is a viable option for evangelicals, and at best, establishes a greater vision of God's love.

While not denying the existence of hell, the contrast w
Tom
Being a missionary and teaching missions and Global Perspectives these past couple of years have taken me into an important and ongoing debate over Hell. I find much of the argument against eternal conscious torment rather sentimental and ill-conceived. But MacDonald (a pseudonym) has offered the evangelical community a studied, thoughtful, and objective challenge to the traditional view of hell and for a version of universalism that is not mere sentimentality but, he argues, the conclusion of e ...more
Charles Watson
I, thus far, have read only a few books in favor of Christian Universalism as well as a few against it. There are good books in each camp although its difficult to find a book against CU that doesn't strawman the paradigm and resort to dismissive assertions such as saying CU appeals to the emotions, not considering it may be a valid appeal to the conscience.

The author of this book is evidently a very humble man who could be much more arrogant and liberal considering the certainty he feels concer
Al
The title alone suggests that this would be a controversial book in evangelical circles. Originally written under a pseudonym, the author has since revealed his identity as Dr Robin Parry, publishing editor of Paternoster Press and a member of City Church Worcester, part of the Salt and Light network of churches.

My initial response to the book is that I hope its central thesis is true - that in the end, all will be saved through faith in Christ, even those who enter hell. By that, I mean that t
Rendi Hahn
May 28, 2015 Rendi Hahn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rendi by: Paul
Shelves: spirituality
Whereas Rob Bell's Love Wins is more of a layman's look at this subject, Gregory MacDonald digs very deeply into the pros, cons, and rationale for a universalist theology. It is a thought provoking but extremely dense read - I don't often read this genre, so the process was a bit of a beating. But it was worth the time and I'm glad I read it.
Ariana Cheng
Did I go into this book a universalist? No. And after reading it, I'm still not sure if I am. However, I would still wholeheartedly recommend this book to any Christian who is just not satisfied with the typical depictions of heaven and hell that they learned about growing up. Gregory MacDonald (a pseudonym, he has now come out as Robin Parry) does an excellent job of backing up his claims with Biblical text. He adds credibility by citing various historical, theological and linguistic sources. I ...more
David
I know it sounds over the top, but I’m not exaggerating when I say THIS IS THE BOOK I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR MY ENTIRE LIFE. I was raised in the traditional Calvinist faith. A core pillar of Calvinism is the idea of ELECTION. Election means we don’t decide whether or not we’re saved. ONLY God decides. God alone elects who gets to go to heaven and who goes to hell. Our fate is PREDESTINED from before our birth.

The obvious question that even a child will immediately ask is why wouldn’t God choose EV
Nicholas Quient
The best exegetical and theological case for Christological universalism.
Jonathan
Many who are against Christian Universalism accuse the movement of being weak on theology and intellectual dishonest. This book proves them wrong. MacDonald takes a difficult issue and thoroughly explores the issue from a logical, philosophical and biblical perspective.

This book takes no easy ways out. MacDonald explores objections and difficult passages and often builds up the case AGAINST Universalism before offering his explanations for why a Universalist interpretation of those passages is
Casey Miller
This was a great and well thought through book. Even if you are pretty sure you won't agree, it is worth reading to understand where people with this viewpoint are coming from (specifically, the viewpoint that the Bible says that God will ultimately save all people from Hell). The second edition has additional material in the back that addresses issues that critics have brought up since writing the book originally. He is a humble guy who is open to criticism and seeks to correct or refine his vi ...more
Naum
After reading Rob Bell _Love Wins_, where despite all the hoopla about alleged (and unfounded) universalism, wished to give a TRUE universalist argument a read.

MacDonald presents a solid biblical case for an "evangelical" universalism. Problem is, I just am not enthused over the arguments coming from either side -- you might paint me with the "heretic" tag, but I just don't see all the fanfare about this -- IMV, it's a debate for the realm of theology-heads, and does not really have anything to
Zachary Wilson
There always room for redemption, even after death. Amen
Paul
This book clears the field as the first and last resource anyone should need for a clear, compelling, biblically based argument for the universal salvation of humanity. It's a little dry in places and assumes a level of education that may be daunting for some, but it's well worth the investment for the vision it provides of a God who truly loves the world so much that he restores all of it.
Jason Custer
I give Parry 4 stars, not because I agree with this book. But because he gives a comprehensive account of the issue, and deals with it biblically with great honesty and humility. I think I would really enjoy talking with Parry - even though I disagree.
Dustin Bagby
I'm not a convert, but I thought Parry does a fantastic job of bringing together philosophy, theology, and good biblical exegesis in his case for universalism. As opposed to Rob Bell's "Love Wins", this is the book that everyone should be reading!
Andy
A helpful book as I'm trying to grapple with the claims of exclusivity within the Christian tradition. Very heavy on Bible verses and deep analysis - not sure I agree with the approach, but a helpful perspective on the question.
Naomi
A close Biblical study of the case for universalism, rooted in humility and genuine engagement with the big questions, good for Biblical study groups and those wrestling christian theology.
Wilson Garrett
Fantastic case for the doctrine of universal reconciliation. Though not systematic, or entirely convincing, it does provide the framework for what MacDonald calls a hopeful universalism.
Samuel Garcia
Thought-provoking, well argued, and charitable book with a grand scope. Traditionalists and annihilationists alike must begin to grapple with the issues presented here.
Raborn
This book is a great companion to "The Inescapable Love of God" by Thomas Talbott. The best biblical case for Christian Universalism that I have seen.
Judy
As with Thomas Talbott's The Inescapable Love of God ... convincing.
Bob
Bob is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2015
Carlos Beltran
Carlos Beltran marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Bruno Cavalar
Bruno Cavalar marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
keerstin
keerstin marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
  • Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament
  • The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture
  • God of the Possible: A Biblical Introduction to the Open View of God
  • Dare We Hope That All Men Be Saved?
  • Unspoken Sermons: Series I, II, III
  • Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
  • Jesus Christ for Today's World
  • Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way
  • Economy of Desire
  • A Public Faith: How Followers of Christ Should Serve the Common Good
  • The Human Faces of God: What Scripture Reveals When It Gets God Wrong (and Why Inerrancy Tries To Hide It)
  • The God Who Risks: A Theology of Divine Providence
  • Jesus and the God of Israel: God Crucified and Other Studies on the New Testament's Christology of Divine Identity
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • The Church on the Other Side: Doing Ministry in the Postmodern Matrix
  • Unclean: Meditations on Purity, Hospitality, and Mortality
  • Junia Is Not Alone
  • The Orthodox Heretic And Other Impossible Tales
All Shall Be Well: Explorations in Universal Salvation and Christian Theology, from Origen to Moltmann All Shall Be Well: Explorations in Universal Salvation and Christian Theology, from Origen to Moltmann In the End, God...: A Study of the Christian Doctrine of the Last Things Lenin