Start by marking “Deadly Dose” as Want to Read:
Deadly Dose

Deadly Dose

To love, honor...and poison-the true story of a wife brought to justice.For four months, arsenic consumed the body of promising young pediatric AIDS researcher Eric Miller. No one thought that his wife could be capable of such a horrible crime-except for veteran homicide investigator Chris Morgan, a man who would spend the next four years in his pursuit of justice.
Published June 3rd 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Dose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Dose

Jeannie
Nov 28, 2008 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime buffs
Shelves: i-own
I found myself completely fascinated by this case in large part due to the way the author laid the book out. Told from the perspective of the leading homicide investigator,she begins the book with him sitting down in his comfy leather chair to tell about the investigation which took years to resolve and one which he never gave up on. Told entirely in his words she done an excellent job capturing not just his emotions throughout the long drawn out process but also the emotions of the victims fami ...more
Meredith
Jan 17, 2013 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for a few reasons. This was all over the news here years ago and Amanda Lamb is well known for all the news stories she has covered in this area along with the investigators who had to cover this case.
This book leaves you amazed at what people are capable of, shocked and heart broken. You always wonder why people can seem so in love but yet, not. It's a very scarey thing. He died not knowing the person he trusted and loved, is the person who killed him. Not only did she kill
Martha
Aug 01, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well-written account of the investigation of the murder of Eric Miller, a pediatric AIDS research scientist. The hero of this story is the tenacious Chris Morgan, a homicide detective, with the Raleigh, NC, police department.

Getting to a guilty plea by Miller's wife took five years and legal wrangling to find out what was in a suicide note and what a coworker of Ann Miller's told his lawyer before he committed suicide.

Kudos to the author, Amanda Lamb, the WRAL reporter who covere
Rebecca
Dec 05, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A piercing look into the inner workings of the Raleigh NC District Attorneys office and police department. Although they knew Ann Miller murdered her husband, they waited YEARS to indict her. I suppose in the end, getting a conviction was important, but I hated to see her going about her new life without a care, until she was finally charged & convicted.
Carol
Jan 31, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a book club discussion. I don't usually read this genre. I don't remember this crime. It was very interesting. Thank goodness for detectives who never give up. This woman was pure evil!!!
Maryann MJS1228
Dec 10, 2015 Maryann MJS1228 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Despite the subtitle of "the untold story of a homicide investigator's crusade for truth and justice" potential readers might assume, as I did, that this book would provide an understanding of the crime, the victim (Eric Miller) and the murderer (Ann Miller). I am sorry to report this is not the case. Maybe a detailed police procedural showing the ins and outs of the investigation, you hope? Not so fast my friend. How about a reasonably chronological telling of the investigation itself, you ask. ...more
Angela
Feb 23, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: criminology
Why I'm interested in this book at the first place..
I found out about it through an episode of 48 Hours..and in a couple of other true crime documentaries.It amazes me since it was featured so many times on tv,and I was like,"Dang,this one's sorta high-profile and I gotta read the book"

What do I think about this book..now that I've done reading it..
Just so you know it was presented through the viewpoint of the lead detective,Lieutenant Chris Morgan.

- the narration is a no-nonsense,concise and
Charlotte Anderson
Meet Investigator Chris Morgan who was on a quest for the truth. For Chris there are two types of murderers ; first, The Impersonal, where there victims die quickly and do not suffer. These murderers kill for money then there is the second kind that gets pleasure out of watching their victims suffer.
Ann Miller is such a murdered, she watched her husband, Dr. Eric Miller, a promising Pediatric AIDS researcher, die a thousand small deaths over a period of time until his suffering was finally over
Aric
Sep 24, 2015 Aric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and disturbing read about a real life torturous murder of an upstanding and accomplished man who was just beginning to apply and enjoy all he worked for. His wife decided she would put an end to all of that. The book held my attention and was very engaging. Sociopaths are all around us I guess, and come in all types of packages-some always putting on sweet deceptive fronts. It's amazing how they can have so many fooled and manipulated. Ann Miller destroyed so many lives and just smir ...more
Gram
Jan 24, 2016 Gram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This tormenting real life murder should be turned into a major block buster movie! It has all of the elements that would be hard to make up if it wasn't so true. (sex, manipulation, deceit, infidelity, horrific poisoning, pawns, clueless characters, a "Colombo" type investigator that won't be fooled or give up, lawyers and their privileges, court decisions, suicide, slut- like behaviors, weird fake behaviors, a family that enables, users, etc.-goes on and on) A must read and so interesting becau ...more
Fran
Oct 18, 2009 Fran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I followed this case as it was unfolding, all the more intrigued because it happened so close to home. That anyone could murder the winsome Eric Miller is hard to imagine; least of that his psychopathic wife did it so subtly and heinously, and without remorse ... chilling. This book is a good read; Amanda Lamb was there throughout the proceedings,and she gives the true crime story an interesting twist by concentrating on the perspective of the homicide detective and how he was affected by the ca ...more
Rachel Ramirez
Wow is all I have to say about this story. Ann Miller Kontz is so terrible for killing her husband and causing the death of her former lover. The only reason why she was probably able to found guilty was by a legal case to get her deceased lover's talk with his lawyer. The question about what the man said to his lawyer was protected by attorney client privilege? Could it incriminate a dead man enough to fine his family for the death of Eric Miller? These question are dealt with and answered in t ...more
Julie
Oct 07, 2008 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: book club book
Fast read, about a case that took place in NC, and the long term efforts of the police force and DA to bring a killer to justice. The killer is cold as ice, the victim was one of the nicest guys on the planet. A glimpse of what it can take to close these cases (to offset the one hour closure rate from Law and Order fans like myself).
Lois
Jun 20, 2008 Lois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend wrote this book, you've got to read it! Check out the web site for the book to see where she will be having book signings this summer and fall.
Randolph
Jul 25, 2010 Randolph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty trashy. I only read it because I was looking for an "easy read" and it was about a local murder case. The story itself was interesting, but the writing was quite amateurish.
Sabrina
Dec 13, 2008 Sabrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it is a true crime, kind of slow for my taste. but not to bad
Erin Shumate-gudmunson
I loved that this book was written from the detective's perspective. It really turned what would have been a boring book into a great read.
Ashley FL
Interesting story, but the book itself is incredibly repetitive and padded.
Deborah Pople
Deborah Pople rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Glenn
Glenn rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2011
Khristina McGill
Khristina McGill rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Carla
Carla rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
W Roderick
W Roderick rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Ashley Cox
Ashley Cox rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2012
Dana Jennings
Dana Jennings rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Samuel Griggs
Samuel Griggs rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Camala
Camala rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
819461
Amanda Lamb is a professional juggler who hasn't slept in years. She juggles two busy careers along with a family. By day she is a television journalist assigned to the crime beat at an award-winning CBS affiliate, WRAL-TV, in Raleigh, North Carolina. She is also the author of eight published books.

Her newest project is a republished version of "Love Lies," a true crime originally published in 20
More about Amanda Lamb...