Start by marking “Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)

Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan #3)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  537 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
From the "USA Today" bestselling author of "The Lucifer Gospel" There is truth in art. But the truth can kill. Young archaeologist Finn Ryan is laboring for a London auction house when she gets some unlikely luck. Along with the handsome young nobleman Billy Pilgrim, she's inherited a house in Amsterdam, a cargo ship off Borneo South Pacific, and what appears to be a fake ...more
Published July 3rd 2007 by Signet Book (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Rembrandt's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rembrandt's Ghost

Cathy DuPont
Read years ago...just ran across a reference and remembered it but not in a good way.

Not to bother reading unless it's free and then only if there's nothing else to read and then only if you're young and have your life ahead of you. And then...well, why not write your own book instead? That would be time better spent.
Martin
Sep 24, 2012 Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, historical
The author of this book seems to think that for any written work of fantasy you need: stunning people, as many pop-culture references as possible, descriptions of as many exotic locations as you can find on wikipedia and most of all every stereotype in existence. Your readers will then fill in the important blanks and buy your next novel.

Paul Christopher gets as many details right as he gets them wrong. His research into Dutch culture is as accurate as his strange misspellings of words anyone u
Ésa
Nov 29, 2012 Ésa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At the moment about 88% finished on the kindle and once more, it feels as though it's only 50%. But I know the book will finish very soon and cannot help but feel disappointed once more already.

The writing style of the author is fantastic, in my opinion. He describes everything with detail, never too much and always on the spot leaving enough room for the readers' imaginations. But unfortunately, he never goes into the right details as far as the plot is concerned! Which drives me nuts.

For examp
Robert
This was an alright read about a young lady coming into an inheritance that sends her and a young man on a wild chase across Europe and through the smaller Asian islands. Where the mysterious Rembrandt painting comes into play is a minor bit part that gets the whole enchilada cooking, and a minor play at the end. This is more of what I call a "fluff" read than anything really serious. There is not that much to get really excited about but I did not feel I had really lost anything by reading the ...more
Véronique
Jan 20, 2015 Véronique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een literaire avonturenroman, beter kan ik dit boek niet omschrijven. Paul Christopher is één van die auteurs die het voor wat mij betreft helemaal heeft. Het probleem met avonturenromans is dat ze vaak - meestal - goedkoop geschreven zijn. Het boek kan dan wel inhoudelijk niet tippen aan dergelijke meesterwerken, maar Christopher's manier van schrijven deed mij soms erg denken aan Elizabeth Gilbert's "Het hart van alle dingen" of zelfs "Het Puttertje" van Donna Tartt. En wat kan een mens nog me ...more
Amy Cohen
Unfortunately, I read several Goodreads reviews before I started, so that might have slightly tainted by view of the book before I read a word of it. That being said, I did not recall seeing much in the book that was the subject of some of the more harsh reviews. Overall, I enjoyed the characters, but felt that too much time was spent on developing the back story of some secondary characters (who ended up not figuring into things at the end), and not enough time developing the main characters. ( ...more
Christina
Oy vey this was mindless tripe. Potentially ticked all my favorite boxes: murder mystery, set in London, with a historical twist. In reality, though, it was just piffle that romped through half the globe with little character development and few plausible twists. Also, what's the point of having such attractive main characters if you're not going to have something spark between them?
Rick Bavera
Okay, I will admit I was entertained yet again by a Paul Christopher book.

But the situations that Finn Ryan and the other characters get into, and manage to get out of....are just kind of hard to believe, if you know what I mean.

The old "Murder, She Wrote" TV series comes to mind, where crimes seem to follow the main character, Jessica Fletcher around.....

You almost wonder if the character is jinxed, attracts bad luck (guess that is like jinxed, right?), causes the event, or commits the crimes..
Ex Libris
plane book

This is a good beach read or plane book. Some of it could have been cut out but if it was, the book wouldn't be considered a novel. This is the second book I have read by this author and can't say he is a bad writer, but this is not up to DaVinci levels where a thriller is concerned. Again, good and just short of fast paced. Good enough to read and leave on a park bench for someone else to find.
Kathleen Messmer
This series with Finn Ryan is really exceptional. It's an "I can't put it down" kind of series. My only complaint is that I can't find the next one so I may have to buy it. I read the entire thing on my flight from San Francisco to Chicago and it was worth the headache and dry eyes that followed. Read this series!
Rita McDowell
Mar 11, 2014 Rita McDowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and Intriguing!

Excellent and Intriguing!

This book was impossible to put down from the beginning to the very end! Definitely worth reading! Enjoy this interesting read that ranks among the best of the best!
Wilma
Aug 01, 2015 Wilma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt there was a lot of work involved in making the plot work. The beginning was interesting but by the end it just felt outlandish to me. I didn't dislike it exactly but I thought Lucifer's Gospel by this author was more interesting...at least to me.
Paula Howard
Apr 10, 2016 Paula Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time Finn is teamed up with Billy or Lord Billy. They are given a Rembrandt, a house and a cargo ship with conditions. Following these clues, and trying to avoid the ones trying to kill them, the following in the footsteps of Finn and Billy's ancestor.
Rhonda
Apr 21, 2015 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
timely subjects & great bits on history, languages, cultures, piracy, and who does not love mystery houses with hidden rooms and an abundance of treasures? fast,fun & entertaining
Katie
Feb 01, 2016 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Finn Ryan inherits 3 mysterious items from a dude that her mother used to know. The catch is that she shares with with the guy's nephew and they have to personally claim the items.
Dec 26, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A rather bland read. The characters were tossed in and removed without much thought or care. The plot was implausible and it felt like the characters were moved to different locations just for the sake of movement. It took me forever to finish this book because I never got invested in any of the characters and it felt like it changed scenes so quickly that I never really got settled into the story. I stopped and started reading this a million times and although I can remember the main characters ...more
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book started off quite well, once we got into the jungle, it went flat. Finn is yet again tossed topgether with some new manly co-star, but it does not match the Michael Valentine heat in Book 1.

I felt the author spent too much time trying to toss around history (unrelated to Rembrandt) about South Asia and introduces too many languages and dialects, that kept me trying to skim through it. I was highly annoyed with it and the language issue really lessened my interest in the book.

Meh.
Dark Chocolate
Dec 24, 2015 Dark Chocolate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When i saw it has 3 stars i thought that it won't be very interesting and full of shhh but i was actually surprised. It's not Indiana Jones but i don't find my time spend reading it a waste of time :) Could have a good movie based on it too.
Janet Librarian
The heroine of this story goes from London to Amsterdam to the South Pacific in search of the answer to a clue given in a Rembrandt painting she inherited, along with an aging cargo freighter and house in Holland. The action seems to be reminiscent of Indiana Jones meeting current-day pirates during a typhoon. There's a little too much continent hopping and being chased by bad guys. But it holds interest, and the description of the ruthless pirates who terrorize the Indian Ocean is disturbingly ...more
Diane
Apr 09, 2012 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I have enjoyed Paul Christopher's books in the past I found this one to have a lot of unnecessary descriptions in it. There were several scenes of violence that had nothing really to do with the overall plot. And I got the feeling they were overly described for shock value and not in adding to the storyline. As for the basic story, it was well crafted, and came together well in the end. Though not very believable, it was a good book for me to read while on vacation.
Rick Toews
Jul 02, 2011 Rick Toews rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure-novel
I was probably looking for something along the line of the Da Vinci code, in terms of adventure, interesting clues, and so forth. Also, while I don't tend to notice a thin plot, I do appreciate a rich use of language. This book disappointed me in this regard, and I was also bugged by what seemed to me an excess of gratuitous violence.

This was my first sampling of Paul Christopher's offerings, and I think I'll not need another taste.
Robbi
3rd book much better. On to next.
Wendy
I gave this four stars not because the writing was spectacular or the plot particularly believable, nor because the first scene was a pretty silly depiction of a naked woman modeling for an art class, but because if you can suspend your belief in reality for a little while, and if you like adventure, you will have fun reading this book.
Tina
Jul 16, 2013 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gunther
Jun 05, 2012 Gunther rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was like a Hardy Boy's treasure hunt on King Kong's lost island... except less believable. The writing was flat, the characters dopey, and I'm not compelled to read anything else by this guy. Why read this when you can spend the time disinfecting your toothbrushes?
Mick
Jul 16, 2008 Mick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it for the most part. It was a little choppy in spots, especially when he added all the islands, people, and boat names - I was having trouble keeping track of it all.

I should try another book by this author.
Stephen
Jun 21, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the section on the island. It reminded me of the 18th century adventure novels like H. Rider Haggard. This is one of Christopher's better novels. Fans of the series will enjoy this one.
Ladiibbug
Jul 31, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exotic South Pacific sea locations, hidden fortunes and treasures, dangerous pirates who deal in guns, drugs, etc. ...

Very entertaining adventure/thriller/mystery!
Lbd
Oct 14, 2010 Lbd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Not overly impressed with this book. Had a good premise, but lost the track of the story. I'll try another of his books, but will borrow it, instead of buying it.
Ropajo
Jul 11, 2009 Ropajo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast read. Little confusing with various character names - characters who were not developed. Probably just misc. names - not very important to story.
  • The Sinai Secret (Lang Reilly #3)
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • The Atlantis Prophecy (Conrad Yeats Adventure #2)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Doomsday Testament (Jamie Saintclaire, #1)
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The God Machine
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • Midnight Angels
  • The Secret Crown (Payne & Jones, #6)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...

Finn Ryan (4 books)
  • Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)
  • The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2)
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)