Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery, Vol. 1 (Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  13 reviews
SC, TPB, NM/M, New, in cello, Written by Len Wein, Robert Kanigher, and Gerry Conway. Art by Bernie Wrightson, Neal Adams, Gil Kane, and Alex Toth. Cover by Joe Orlando. Published in February of 2006, Softcover, 552 pages, B&W. Cover price $16.99.
Published February 1st 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Paul
There are some seriously great artists amongst the stories in this book, and I have to say that it's not hard to picture all of them getting together, having a few fingers worth of whiskey, extolling each other's artistic talents, perhaps watching a burlesque show together, and then loading up some revolvers to go out hunting the chumps who wrote these stories.

Damn, these were some godawful stories. Many of them have no point. Many of them have Scooby Doo endings. Many of them have shock ending...more
Daryl
Reading these stories, an issue or so at a time, was a blast! Lots of great art that reproduces well in the black-and-white format from such stellar artists as Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, and many others, and the great one-page humor features by Sergio Aragones. Most of the stories have some kind of twist that is obvious from the beginning, but they're still lots of fun to read. This is a great example of the Showcase format.
Helmut
Eigentlich nur 1 Stern...

...würde ich diesem Comic geben, wären da nicht Aragonés' kleine, teilweise bösen, verrückten und so gar nicht in diesen Band passenden Szenchen. Diese werten den ganzen Band gleich ein bisschen auf, und sorgen dafür dass man bei den ganzen anderen so ganz und gar nicht gruseligen "Gruselgeschichten" einschläft - man merkt, dass dies Comics für Kinder aus den 60ern und 70ern waren, die nicht mit Ninja Turtles und Yu-Gi-Oh aufgewachsen sind.

Zeichnerisch stellenweise ganz...more
Andrea Smirle
first reaction: i wish i could be a kid again, and watch old episodes of spiderman and hercules!

later: i liked the pairing of well-formed art with malformed imagination... like being a kid, when your own imagination is limitless yet completely limited at the same time. result? reading this collection was bittersweet and delightful and depressing, simultaneously.

also: this is the kind of cultural artifact that makes you think about yourself and the world you now live in WAY more than is good for...more
Orrin Grey
I don't think I like these Showcase-style big black-and-white collections. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe I miss the lurid four-color colors. Maybe it's just too much old comic density for me.

There's some great artists represented here (though none of them are working at the top of their games) and there's a lot of fun stuff going on, especially the Sergio Aragones bits. But this didn't do it for me as much as the omnibus editions of, say, Creepy and Eerie, the oversized, Warren-published cous...more
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Fizzgig76
Reprints House of Mystery #174-194. Cain takes over the House of Mystery and brings stories of horror and surprise. The House of Mystery (and its companion book The House of Secrets) were part of the relaunch of horror in the 1970s. The use of Cain in the House of Mystery and Abel in the House of Secrets added some dimension to the stories and allowed for some fun introductions and mini-cartoons by Sergio Aragones.
Mark
Dec 05, 2007 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
There are some excellent 5 and 6 page comic horror stories here. Nothing as violent and lurid as the old EC stuff that I love, but that's ok.

I wish it didn't bother me that it's printed in black & white, but it does. Those old colors in 70s comic books - never as bright as they should be in the insides, even from the day you bought them, add a lot to the story, and it's missed here.
Izlinda
There were some really good stories in this 552 page collection. Very few ones made me grit my teeth or roll my eyes. This sharpens my curiosity for Bill Willingham's own "The House of Mystery" graphic novel coming out next year.
Harold
Ho-hum storylines, but there's some really fine Alex Toth artwork here, and if you like him (and I do), that crazy,man artist Jerry Grandenetti is here,too.
Rodrigo Marinho
Sweet little gothic horror stories. Reminds of a time and age when we were young and easily mixed reality with fantasy. Perfect for bedtime reading.
Kurt
Has aged amazingly well! These writers and artists are masters. Only down side is the B & W.
Wyntrnoire
However--five stars and more for the artwork of Bernie Wrightson and Sergio Aragonés.
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Will Cooper
Will Cooper marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Angeleah
Angeleah marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Susan Quirus
Susan Quirus marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Len Wein is an American comic book writer and editor best known for co-creating DC Comics' Swamp Thing and Marvel Comics' Wolverine, and for helping revive the Marvel superhero team the X-Men (including the co-creation of Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus). Additionally, he was the editor for writer Alan Moore and illustrator Dave Gibbons' influential DC miniseries Watchmen.

Wein was inducted into...more
More about Len Wein...
Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis Before Watchmen: Ozymandias/Crimson Corsair Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #1 (Before Watchmen: Ozymandias, #1) The Untold Legend of the Batman Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #2 (Before Watchmen: Ozymandias, #2)