Start by marking “Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery, Vol. 1 (Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
SC, TPB, NM/M, New, in cello, Written by Len Wein, Robert Kanigher, and Gerry Conway. Art by Bernie Wrightson, Neal Adams, Gil Kane, and Alex Toth. Cover by Joe Orlando. Published in February of 2006, Softcover, 552 pages, B&W. Cover price $16.99.
Published February 1st 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Paul
Feb 22, 2009 Paul rated it liked it
There are some seriously great artists amongst the stories in this book, and I have to say that it's not hard to picture all of them getting together, having a few fingers worth of whiskey, extolling each other's artistic talents, perhaps watching a burlesque show together, and then loading up some revolvers to go out hunting the chumps who wrote these stories.

Damn, these were some godawful stories. Many of them have no point. Many of them have Scooby Doo endings. Many of them have shock ending
Bob
May 11, 2016 Bob rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
For me, it is hard not to compare this to Warren Publishing's Creepy and Eerie magazine from the same time period--there are many of the same artists, most especially Joe Orlando editing. Instead of Uncle Creepy and Cousin Eerie, it's Cain and Abel for House of Secrets, Mystery. I can't see much difference except one is in a magazine format and the other in a four color comic format. However this compendium of 500+ pages is also in B&W. Eventually Warren's material got more adult oriented, b ...more
Daryl
Feb 08, 2014 Daryl rated it really liked it
Reading these stories, an issue or so at a time, was a blast! Lots of great art that reproduces well in the black-and-white format from such stellar artists as Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, and many others, and the great one-page humor features by Sergio Aragones. Most of the stories have some kind of twist that is obvious from the beginning, but they're still lots of fun to read. This is a great example of the Showcase format.
Helmut
Mar 06, 2013 Helmut rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Eigentlich nur 1 Stern...

...würde ich diesem Comic geben, wären da nicht Aragonés' kleine, teilweise bösen, verrückten und so gar nicht in diesen Band passenden Szenchen. Diese werten den ganzen Band gleich ein bisschen auf, und sorgen dafür dass man bei den ganzen anderen so ganz und gar nicht gruseligen "Gruselgeschichten" einschläft - man merkt, dass dies Comics für Kinder aus den 60ern und 70ern waren, die nicht mit Ninja Turtles und Yu-Gi-Oh aufgewachsen sind.

Zeichnerisch stellenweise ganz
Annabelle
Apr 05, 2016 Annabelle rated it really liked it
Anything nostalgic almost always brings pleasure, and one of my earliest passions was for my varied collection of comics, as provided by my mother, and these DC horror genres topped the list: The House of Mystery, The House of Secrets, The Witching Hour, The Phantom Stranger, encompassing editions from the late 60s to the mid 70s. This Showcase compilation is labeled #1, so I presume it was one of the first stories from The House of Mystery--which may explain the first few drab, predictable stor ...more
Andrea Smirle
Nov 12, 2012 Andrea Smirle rated it liked it
first reaction: i wish i could be a kid again, and watch old episodes of spiderman and hercules!

later: i liked the pairing of well-formed art with malformed imagination... like being a kid, when your own imagination is limitless yet completely limited at the same time. result? reading this collection was bittersweet and delightful and depressing, simultaneously.

also: this is the kind of cultural artifact that makes you think about yourself and the world you now live in WAY more than is good for
Orrin Grey
May 06, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I don't think I like these Showcase-style big black-and-white collections. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe I miss the lurid four-color colors. Maybe it's just too much old comic density for me.

There's some great artists represented here (though none of them are working at the top of their games) and there's a lot of fun stuff going on, especially the Sergio Aragones bits. But this didn't do it for me as much as the omnibus editions of, say, Creepy and Eerie, the oversized, Warren-published cous
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Fizzgig76
Jan 16, 2011 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints House of Mystery #174-194. Cain takes over the House of Mystery and brings stories of horror and surprise. The House of Mystery (and its companion book The House of Secrets) were part of the relaunch of horror in the 1970s. The use of Cain in the House of Mystery and Abel in the House of Secrets added some dimension to the stories and allowed for some fun introductions and mini-cartoons by Sergio Aragones.
Mark
Dec 05, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
There are some excellent 5 and 6 page comic horror stories here. Nothing as violent and lurid as the old EC stuff that I love, but that's ok.

I wish it didn't bother me that it's printed in black & white, but it does. Those old colors in 70s comic books - never as bright as they should be in the insides, even from the day you bought them, add a lot to the story, and it's missed here.
Izlinda
There were some really good stories in this 552 page collection. Very few ones made me grit my teeth or roll my eyes. This sharpens my curiosity for Bill Willingham's own "The House of Mystery" graphic novel coming out next year.
Harold
Mar 21, 2012 Harold rated it liked it
Ho-hum storylines, but there's some really fine Alex Toth artwork here, and if you like him (and I do), that crazy,man artist Jerry Grandenetti is here,too.
Rodrigo Marinho
May 02, 2013 Rodrigo Marinho rated it really liked it
Sweet little gothic horror stories. Reminds of a time and age when we were young and easily mixed reality with fantasy. Perfect for bedtime reading.
Kurt
Jun 09, 2013 Kurt rated it really liked it
Has aged amazingly well! These writers and artists are masters. Only down side is the B & W.
Wyntrnoire
Dec 29, 2012 Wyntrnoire rated it really liked it
However--five stars and more for the artwork of Bernie Wrightson and Sergio Aragonés.
Phil Williams
Jun 17, 2015 Phil Williams rated it really liked it
A fun collection of The House of Mystery horror comics from the 1960's.
Scott Lerer
Scott Lerer marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Gary Nealy, Jr.
Gary Nealy, Jr. rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Dagger of the Mind
Dagger of the Mind is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Art Trombley
Art Trombley rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Doris Pierce
Doris Pierce marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
TheWarpedOne
TheWarpedOne rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
John Martin
John Martin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Chanel Love
Chanel Love marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Pinar
Pinar marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Macacoteste
Macacoteste marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Willeythemarmot
Willeythemarmot marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1
  • Splatterpunks II: Over the Edge
  • Mirrorwork: 50 Years of Indian Writing 1947-1997
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
  • Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Vol. 1
  • Hellblazer: Hooked
  • Helheim: The Witch War, Volume One
  • Essential Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Horror Comics
Len Wein is an American comic book writer and editor best known for co-creating DC Comics' Swamp Thing and Marvel Comics' Wolverine, and for helping revive the Marvel superhero team the X-Men (including the co-creation of Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus). Additionally, he was the editor for writer Alan Moore and illustrator Dave Gibbons' influential DC miniseries Watchmen.

Wein was inducted into
More about Len Wein...

Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery (3 books)
  • Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery, V0l. 2