Start by marking “Introductory Logic for Christian and Home Schools” as Want to Read:
Introductory Logic for Christian and Home Schools

Introductory Logic for Christian and Home Schools

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Logic is the art of reasoning well—of learning to think God's thoughts after Him. In this book, directed toward junior-high students, Douglas Wilson and James Nance lay the proper foundation of reasoning in the truth of God, and go on to train students in the crucial skills of defining terms, recognizing basic types of statements, arguing with syllogisms, arguing in ordina ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Canon Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Introductory Logic for Christian and Home Schools, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introductory Logic for Christian and Home Schools

Amy
Jun 01, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: homeschooling, logic
While this book covers the material for an introduction to logic, it does not do so in a manner that enables learning. Nance's approach seems to be introducing the material in a succinct way and then expecting the students to regurgitate the text verbatim for the test. The book would have been better if it included more exercises with each section and was written in a more conversational style, with more examples for each concept. The tests would be better if they focused on understanding and kn ...more
John Wise
Apr 29, 2016 John Wise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I have always wanted to study formal logic, and this was a great place to start.

I can't believe 7th and 8th graders learn this. Some 7th and 8th graders are getting a way better education than I did!
Laura Verret
Aug 12, 2010 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
This was an excellent volume from which I learned the rudiments of logic. I especially enjoyed the parts which spoke about (1) the five rules which test the validity of a syllogism, (2)Invalid forms of mixed hypothetical syllogisms, and (3) Informal Fallacies or 'street-fighting' logic. And I just adore the square of opposition!
Argin Gerigorian
Oct 15, 2013 Argin Gerigorian rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Good stuff from Wilson and Nance.

The best place to start for a book on logic. The authors chew the material and feed it to you.

It comes with a workbook to help you further remember the material.

Recommended for high-schoolers and early college students...or really smart middle-schoolers. :)

Elle
Sep 18, 2012 Elle rated it it was ok
Probably two and a half stars because I didn't like how you had to memorize definitions for the tests, how the sentences were overtly Christian and sometimes strange and confusing, and how it was sometimes hard to see how everything that was taught applied to real life.
Katie
Sep 24, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
I loved learning logic last school year, and I thought this book was understandable and perspicuous in its teaching of the subject. It had good exercises although some of the statements were incorrect. However, it would have been better if they had more real life examples.
Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 12, 2011 Steven Wedgeworth rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction textbook. My criticisms are that there are not enough exercises/assignments, and so I found myself needing to make up more for my class. It also comes out weak on theory, but for a Jr. High text it works well.
Paul
Mar 11, 2008 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: logic
Good little primer on classical, Aristotelian logic.

Best suited for children.
Brenda Cregor
Jul 28, 2010 Brenda Cregor rated it really liked it
I am still irrational.
Nathan Sparks
Nathan Sparks rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Amy Burd
Amy Burd marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Beatymd
Beatymd marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Timothy Lee
Timothy Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Bryan Fletcher
Bryan Fletcher marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Brianna Mazur
Brianna Mazur marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Sarah Montgomery
Sarah Montgomery is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2015
Sarah Hysong
Sarah Hysong rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Fam
Fam is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Kayla M.
Kayla M. marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Sri
Sri marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
BaseCampFamLibrary
BaseCampFamLibrary rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
BaseCampFamLibrary
BaseCampFamLibrary marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
CM_Resource_Room
CM_Resource_Room marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Theotokos
Theotokos rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2015