Start by marking “The Action Heroine's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Action Heroine's Handbook

The Action Heroine's Handbook

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Get Some Action!

For every woman who wants to be as tough as Lara Croft, as nimble as the Bionic Woman, and as babe-a-licious as Charlie’s Angels, The Action Heroine’s Handbook shows you the essential skills you’ll need to conquer the bad guys and save the day without breaking a sweat.

Find out how the real action heroines do it, directly from a host of experts, includin
Published July 1st 2003 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about The Action Heroine's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Action Heroine's Handbook

Traci
This was a cute and quick read. The advice was backed up by actual professionals in each field, which was a nice touch, but I hope there is a dislcaimer in this at the beginning saying not to try this stuff without training, because I'd hate to see someone end up in the hospital because they tried to leap onto their roof from the ground.

For the most part, this made me laugh. But there were three or four places where the author suggested duct taping your boobs for extra cleavage. Can we just disc
Rachel
Fun, cute, but shallow- not a book so much as a coffee table pictorial reference. Given medium, think that it should have aimed for more guffaws. Fell a little flat.
PurplyCookie
Although seemingly far-fetched, the how-tos are actually backed up with legitimate advice from a host of professionals, from a stuntwoman explains how to win a catfight, jujitsu intructors, helicopter pilots, forensic psychologists to suvivalists.

This is a book for all you ladies out there who secretly want to be the next Lara Croft or Trinity; it gives you such tips as how to drink a man under the table, identify the essentials you'll be needing in your handbag, how to get your hair like your
Kathleen
Some of this book is what you want it to be--a stuntwoman's guide to riding the front wheel of a motorcycle, a sensei's tips on disarming an opponent armed with a knife, a private investigator's stakeout tips--but some of it is ridiculous. An action heroine doesn't need tips on How To Marry A Millionaire, that protagonist would be a comedienne. Still, I did find a lot of the individual movie references funny, like what to do if you encounter an actual gorilla in the mist. Some of the makeup tips ...more
Tammy
May 25, 2010 Tammy marked it as did-not-finish
Not quite sure why this was put in the humor section at the library, except that maybe there just wasn't any other category where it would fit. I was disappointed to find that this wasn't humor -- it's an actual instruction book, complete with pictures. It would be extremely useful if you're planning to make stuntwork a career or to have an alter-ego superhero; otherwise, don't waste your time.
Maan
Book #19 for 2013: Saw this in the bargain bins of Fullybooked. It's a fun and light read (because I secretly want to be an action heroine haha). Loved the "How to Surf a Barreling Wave", "How to Recognize the Undead", and "How to Dance like a Maniac" portions. Now excuse me while I outrun a fireball.
Carrie
Love the idea of it and there were some pretty funny "instructions" but darn it, not really applicable to my life after all. To read an excerpt in a waiting room or off of someone's coffee table would be kind of cool, but more than that just isn't worth the time.
Jessica
Hilarious light reading. Andrea bought it for me because "it had the word 'heroine' in the title," and I guess I was in the middle of my non-stop thesis babble. But this is a very funny book. And now I know how to rescue people from burning buildings and stuff. ;)
Bea Bolinger
I realized I bought this book 10years ago because I thought it was a funny conversational piece for my library. However now that I have read it there's really no reason to keep it around. Although the movie quotes take me back.
Caitlin
The action heroine's handbook : how to win a catfight, drink someone under the table, choke a man with your bare thighs, and dozens of other TV and movie skills by Jennifer Worick (2003)
Rhea
This is good for a laugh, but unfortunately did not immediately transform me into a big-breasted, spandex-clad, ass-kicking chick. Well, maybe with some practice the advice would be usable.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Although this is classified as "humour" in most bookstores and libraries, there is nothing funny about this book. A misleading that led to a disappointing read.
Vikki Karan
I received this book as a gift and wasn't the biggest fan. I love it in concept but the topic is much more suited for a more visual means like YouTube.
Heather Browning
Fun! Cute and tongue-in-cheek, but also quite interesting. Hoping I remember how to fight in handcuffs and dance a tango!
Robin
Kind of the worst case scenario guides, but with action heroines and their various heroic activities as examples. Woo!
PJ
I keep this on my desk at work for quick and easy reference. It is awesome!
Connie
Lots of interesting information that I;d love to try out.
Dianna
it was amusing
Julia
VERY FUNNY BOOK!
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Taylor Mayenschein
Taylor Mayenschein marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Manon
Manon marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Leslie Marie
Leslie Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
  • The Action Hero's Handbook: How to Catch a Great White Shark, Perform the Vulcan Nerve Pinch, Track a Fugitive, and Dozens of Other TV and Movie Skills
  • The Batman Handbook
  • The World of Mr. Mulliner
  • Siberia
  • Documentary: A History of the Non-Fiction Film
  • The Spider-Man Handbook
  • The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!
  • The Indiana Jones Handbook
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • The Star Wars Cookbook II: Darth Malt and More Galactic Recipes
I write. That’s rather obvious. Mostly I write about things that blow my skirt up. Humor is a big—huge—part of everything I do. But then there’s that soft, squishy sentimental part of me that can’t help but rear its heartfelt head. And since I like to tell people what to do every chance I get, I write a lot of how-to books, blogs, and articles.

Humorous. Heartfelt. How-to. Three great tastes that t
More about Jennifer Worick...
The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life: How to Sew a Sampler Quilt & 49 Other Pioneer Projects for the Modern Girl Things I Want to Punch in the Face The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College Nancy Drew's Guide To Life Backcountry Betty: Roughing It in Style